1 2 3 4 5 6 7

#61April 8th, 2011 · 04:38 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
TonightsLastSong wrote…
I'm really not trying to be a jerk, but what exactly is that plan?  We're paying a lot of lip service to allowing the community to decide, but so far it's unclear to me what the "reliving plan" is, and who decided it.

Lest anybody forget, we've all got an investment in the site, including me, despite whatever dislike anybody has for me unexpectedly rocking this boat.

what exactly is YOUR plan?
If you don't like what's going on here you're free to build your own community
What about your wonderful developments two years ago? Why did they/you disappear unexpectedly? Did you stop it? Did you force it? Where can I/we see it or check it out? Maybe Bandamp's server and services need some refreshments. To dig out the old jokes is counterproductive and rocks the boat - like you said - unnecessary.

You would help he community if you'd say you want to be a shareholder of Bandamp and would pay for it, if it comes to an end. After that let's talk about a redesign.

We've simply been discussing about a possible take over of BandAMP by some honorable members. Mud is the holder at present what we all know and if he's not willing to pay for it any longer then this domain runs into death. This is what we were talking about EXACTLY. I think your impact is a bit.off-topic in this special moment.

So lean back and be patient for a (long) while, time will tell, everything is possible, my friend.

.....and welcome back TLS
#62April 8th, 2011 · 03:47 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
I already offered a plan in my first post, so I won't bore anyone with it again.  The point is to verify and cut costs on the server package we have.

Anyone wondering about previous rewrite information, or why I was less active for a while, can read for themselves in the TORT thread, and my update about the immigration status of my wife.  Let it be known that when I asked for help in that second thread, none came.  None.

Since this thread is dedicated for shareholder coordination, are you opposed to having a separate discussion about the code?  I get the feeling that people are thinking that replacing the code is one giant annoying task, but it's not that bad at all.  I made a working framework for a replacement in just one day.  I'm specifically avoiding distributing the link because I'm trying to reinforce the point that I'm not trying to divert the community into my own hands.  This isn't about me making my own community.  I'm only trying to fix a few things about the current one so that people get a real chance to have new features, better contests, or whatever it is that the community says they want.

I want to make it clear that I would absolutely never do this, but if I were to go and replace all the bandamp code overnight, server costs and donations would be unaffected.  The code is a completely separate issue from finances.

I am an experienced programmer, not a philanthropist.  I am paying for school to get a degree to validate my existing skills and hobbies.  I can't contribute money.  I can contribute code.  May we create a separate discussion post for code?  I suspect it may be just you and I, and maybe others as it gets more practical to add features.  I'd love it if more people came to contribute, but experience has told me that that isn't how this works.  This is why my comments have been in this thread so far.

If you are really set on waiting a long time and not doing anything with the code, then I suppose there will be nothing more for me to say.
#63April 8th, 2011 · 06:25 PM
76 threads / 5 songs
529 posts
Cook Islands
TLS wrote…
I'd love it if more people came to contribute, but experience has told me that that isn't how this works.

TLS, you're all too right. We all want to do something to contribute to the AMP, whether it be musically or actually trying to save it, but we never take action. I am not pointing any fingers to anyone specifically: We're all culprits.

That's just about all I have to say for this matter right now.
#64April 8th, 2011 · 07:27 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Alas it is the nature of the beast ...
And it's to be found in the irony of it all, it's really good to see you participate so vigorously in the quest but at the moment, after years of shouting 'New code' we dont want 'new code' we want to hear from Mud about a different matter.
It may be related but taking over this site in this way is a different matter, it has more to do with the ownership of the name, where it is hosted and who foots the bill....

So having to deal with you and the crusade is actually blinding us to what we should be looking at ..... at the moment.
#65April 9th, 2011 · 02:36 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
I guess that's that.
I'm not trying to stop anybody from hearing from Mud, so by all means, continue that effort.  I just didn't realize that we couldn't multitask.  I still stick to my story about name ownership, hosting, and finances being completely independent of code.

I apologize that my attempting to stir conversation has seemed like a crusade.  Funny enough, I'm just asking questions, but not really getting answers or direct feedback.  I'm only ever met with a bunch of sidestepping, which I hope you can see is quite frustrating.  It's almost like I'm trying to have a conversation with a bunch of stoned people sitting in a room, trying to appeal to some part of their humanity which might excite them in some way.  I get it, that we had different ideas of what the goal was in this thread, but I couldn't help but expect that when a thread called "the end of bandamp?" gets posted, that it might require some kind of urgency to find any way we can to stop it from happening, and to prevent it from happening in the foreseeable future.

Honestly, the fact that the two of you are so jaded by the prospect of code changes tells me a lot more than anything else that's been said...  It's so funny that after so much disgust about inaction just a few years ago, that this is now the adopted mindset (for the time being).

I know I just walked into the site and started talking, and that it must feel like I brought a real tornado in with me, but I'm just a person sitting at my desk in my apartment, seeing a chance to give something that I couldn't give before.  But, of course, if somebody doesn't want a gift, you can't force them to take it, particularly if they think you don't know what you're talking about.

I'm seriously baffled by why a code update isn't just turned into a side project that gets a chance to go somewhere.  What the hell does anybody have to lose?  I mean, seriously?  Is there not room for two things to happen at once, simply by coincidence?

Alas, I've discovered this year that any questions I've asked went completely, utterly unanswered.  (Deliberate non-discussion is probably the one thing that will drive me most crazy, fyi.)  I've been disappointed at the calibre of the PMs and replies I've gotten.  I've heard what you've said, but I guess you haven't heard what I've said, or decided to torture me by not acknowledging anything I'm talking about.

So.. basically, call me if you need me.  I doubt anyone will take me up on that, frankly, but the offer is there, and I mean it.  I'm a programmer, and I (normally?) believe in BandAMP.  I certainly have other things to keep busy with.  In fact, and merely by coincidence, I do happen to be tying some loose ends on a site called musicden.org, so I guess it's time to turn some attention to that pet project.

Hope I haven't pissed anybody off enough that you won't feel comfortable contacting me in the future, even if it has nothing to do with the AMP.

For reference:
email: tim.valenta@thesimpler.net
gtalk: tonightslastsong@gmail.com
#66April 9th, 2011 · 02:54 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Jeeeez...

We need word from mud ASAP, to work out a deal regarding ownership (ultimate decision making / server control) and financing of the site. If none of the admins will contact him, I will do that myself. I still have his email from my own admin days. This financing thing is the first issue to be resolved.

Server migration and updates of the forum software (or rewrites, what have you) will be the next (not unimportant) step. That is where TLS' expertise may come in. I've no doubt of the peoples good intentions on any part in this discussion so far. I'm actually happy to see TLS explaining what he can contribute, and I am less happy with some of the follow ups that his initial post spawned. However, we must stick to the main point of the thread right now, and resolve the most pressing matters first.

Mud, thine input please!
#67April 9th, 2011 · 03:46 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
If I remember right, Mud had wanted to do something to bring the site closer to open-source, even.  I imagine this is not as big a deal for him as we're making it out to be.

Despite my throttled interaction with the community, I'll certainly be interested in how he responds.
#68April 9th, 2011 · 04:27 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
In a possible redo of site coding I'd appreciate a standard PHP so everyone can follow. This must be a clear point for the future. Like PX said this is a next step.

I contacted Mud to join this conversation

btw I am just backing up the server's content

edit:
and this is the last thing I will contribute
If someone's interested in getting a copy of it on a set of DVD....
#69April 9th, 2011 · 01:50 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Only PHP? That is rather close minded... There is no guaranteed security with PHP, and its not a modern object-oriented language, and in order to contribute a person needs to know PHP, HTML, and PostgreSQL before they can be allowed to touch stuff.  I would urge you to do some reading on WSGI and Django.  The really simple version of it is that Django separates design logic from HTML, database backend, etc. It makes it an ideal "group collaboration" platform, because things are designed to be modular.

I will save any further discussion for another time, but I really have little intrest in cooking up another PHP collaboration disaster.  I realize it may be uncomfortable that I propose something else as a solution, since chances are that you dont't know the language, but it's super easy, and someone earlier in this thread mentioned that they know Python.  I just don't want us to jump to conclusions about what "must" happen, based only on a single person's preference.  It is a community effort, after all.
#70June 13th, 2011 · 09:23 AM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
KEEPING BANDAMP ALIVE
I would help to support the effort to keep Bandamp going. It sure would be ashamed to lose such a great site. This is where it all started for me in 2006, as far as posting music online and collaborating with so many different and good Artist. Bandamp will always be a special place for me even though I have ventured on to many other music sites and posted music. There aren't any other sites like Bandamp and it's community. There was a time when some of us did make donations to the site. I don't know whatever happened. I'm not sure how to go about making a donation now. Is there a way to do so?
#71January 6th, 2012 · 06:27 PM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
Hi everyone! Long time no see!

I apologize for not being more communicative. I've been putting all my energy into my startup the past four years- unfortunately, that did not seem to pay off

It's exciting to come back and see that there are a few people online right now, that I remember from way back in the day. You guys have done a great job of keeping things running!

So, I promised to let you know when this happened;

I'm down to the last of my finances, and am in debt to the government for a pretty penny. We need to figure out a way to pay for the server. The server is currently $100 per month, it's possible we could move the website to a cheaper server, however, I don't have the resources to fund that move (system administrators are expense, and it's not my expertise).

My question would be, does anyone here have the skills to move the website? That includes installing PosgreSQL, PHP, moving databases, and httpd.conf, ect... If there is, we can look for a more affordable server, this would be a great step forwards!

Next step would be some way to come up with the hosting fees each month. I notice there is a donation link, so maybe that is bringing in some revenue? Also, there is the possibilities of advertisements. Or, if there are members out there who would be able to pitch in a monthly $5, or something, we could put it all in a Google Wallet or Paypal account, and then pay it to the hosting company that way.

Does anyone know how much traffic we get now? Someone changed the Analytics a couple years back, and so not sure which one of you has the access

Cheers!
#72January 6th, 2012 · 07:12 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
You can count me in for ten dollars a month...and a little extra in the case we needed to make up for any month we are short changed...I don't like ads but I'm open to whatever keeps the site running! Just let me know when to start sending...Kings,Battlecat and Triton Keyborder are the main guys helping run the place but I know there is and has being other help involved so they might have better info on the matter.Glad to see you around and I'm sorry things didn't work out!
#73January 7th, 2012 · 08:50 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
mud wrote…

I apologize for not being more communicative. I've been putting all my energy into my startup the past four years- unfortunately, that did not seem to pay off

It's exciting to come back and see that there are a few people online right now, that I remember from way back in the day. You guys have done a great job of keeping things running!

I'm down to the last of my finances, and am in debt to the government for a pretty penny. We need to figure out a way to pay for the server. The server is currently $100 per month, it's possible we could move the website to a cheaper server, however, I don't have the resources to fund that move (system administrators are expense, and it's not my expertise).

My question would be, does anyone here have the skills to move the website? That includes installing PosgreSQL, PHP, moving databases, and httpd.conf, ect... If there is, we can look for a more affordable server, this would be a great step forwards!

Next step would be some way to come up with the hosting fees each month. I notice there is a donation link, so maybe that is bringing in some revenue? Also, there is the possibilities of advertisements. Or, if there are members out there who would be able to pitch in a monthly $5, or something, we could put it all in a Google Wallet or Paypal account, and then pay it to the hosting company that way.

Does anyone know how much traffic we get now? Someone changed the Analytics a couple years back, and so not sure which one of you has the access

Cheers!

How much time do we have?
Analytics are shut down for years. I ever wanted to reactivate this options but didnt dare to make some changes on the server due to unstable behaviour. Remember my last change on Apache Server few months ago where battlecat had to find someone to push the reset button.
Google analytics are under my "account". But Im afraid I lost access data. Have to find it.
Server is low on traffic as there are only two hands full of members online and guests. Most of guests are bots.
You Mud should think about to give away the domain name. Moving the server is not that difficult. And Postgresql and PHP are pretty easy to install. I can do some backups of files (mp3 and pics) and database.
PHP code is on my local drive.
But do we have the time?
#74January 7th, 2012 · 11:27 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
mud wrote…

Cheers!

How much time do we have?
Analytics are shut down for years. I ever wanted to reactivate this options but didnt dare to make some changes on the server due to unstable behaviour. Remember my last change on Apache Server few months ago where battlecat had to find someone to push the reset button.
Google analytics are under my "account". But Im afraid I lost access data. Have to find it.
Server is low on traffic as there are only two hands full of members online and guests. Most of guests are bots.
You Mud should think about to give away the domain name. Moving the server is not that difficult. And Postgresql and PHP are pretty easy to install. I can do some backups of files (mp3 and pics) and database.
PHP code is on my local drive.
But do we have the time?

How much money do we need to raise now to keep the website running? I assume the host would have an annual agreement? If it's monthly, lets simply send the money to muds account on a monthly/quarterly basis, paypal would be nice and easy for me. I don't think the bandAMP donation function is working, but we could set-up another one. TK I respect your judgement, what do you think?
#75January 7th, 2012 · 02:38 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
mud wrote…

Cheers!
Mud nice to hear from you .... exactly a year
So what exactly were you trying to start up for four years?

The sums are the same, it will cost 10 members 100euros each per year ..... as things stand now, I have no problem with that.
Not into sending money to someones privet account or an account with one administrator, as we've seen with the donations button ... JimK is not active enough to actually partake in decisions and transaction. Apparently  there's about 15 dollars on there

I have a shit load of server space .... just sitting there. When I bought my company name I also bought server space... a few years ago they made it a lot bigger ... how nice of them !
Just checked and I have 8gb free with bandwidth up to 20gb ..... would this be enough ? I dont know all the stats.
It runs php5 already but you'd need more database.
It could be setup that TK remains the admin and that you remain the owner .....

Could the site be hosted from one server and the mp3 library from another?

Just proposing some possibilities.

If it's a matter of time , we all have skype and we all have the time to sort this out ... fairly pronto.
Very much like the CAPTCH that needs to be set up soon, this last wave of false registrars is becoming constant.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: July 27th, 2024 · 3:44 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.
Warning: Unknown: open(/tmp/bandamp/sess_8shl01vq85srj470u9gv1ks9j2, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0 Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp/bandamp) in Unknown on line 0