1 2 3 4 5 6 7

#16March 29th, 2011 · 03:50 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
@Chill , there's no need chasing anyone ..... and they are not donations ... say 4 of us take the decision to pay 200 euros each every year , that comes to 800 euros a year, roughly the 1200 dollars we need.
To a simple tradesman as my self that's less than a days wage per year.... I'm ok with that.

The rest of the members (or non members) can donate as they please, at least the main server cost are covered.
If it gets cheaper to run or there are loads of donations or we sell a million albums ..... well done ... happy days are here again ! We can start growing.
As long as the basic costs are met, which can be done by a handful of us....the rest is all extra.
#17March 29th, 2011 · 11:49 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
kings wrote…
As long as the basic costs are met, which can be done by a handful of us....the rest is all extra.

Yeah, exactly.

So now we need to know whether BandAMP is still going to move to a less expensive server (like TK reminded us of), when this is going to happen, when we are expected to take over upkeep, do we (or who gets) full control of the site (if mud pulls out, I suspect he will or must forfeit ownership), and the list of people willing to pay a share (ie. become shareholders    )

questions demanding answers!
#18March 29th, 2011 · 02:12 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Good questions.... and a few good points ....

We know it is not immediate and we do know it does, according to him, depend on Muds personal situation which he will be assessing later on this year.

Will Mud want to give up bandAMP completely ? I denno !
We can enter an agreement between say 5 of us and Mud to share the costs?
Or we do it with say 4 of us and we simply take it over from Mud.... we can take it over with 10 but then you need an inner circle to take decisions.

As to when .... we either need to show Mud we have the mechanism in place to accept responsibility and take over of the site.
Otherwise we need to start a constructive discussion with Mud, and get the answers from him.

Denis and bc can formulate the shareholders agreement !!  ; )  

TK can you make a Shareholders Forum ? A bit like admin  .... somewhere we can ... talk !
I foresee Skype being a bit hectic getting a word in and getting a conclusion ... lack of talking stick to pass around.
A forum will have the comments for all concerned to see and assess.
#19March 29th, 2011 · 03:53 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I use GoDaddy.com for my website, I did quite a bit of research before opting with them, it's cheap and no complaints with the service, they even have a telephone helpline that is linked somehow to a UK land line that connects with the USA, thus I only pay UK rates, I called them twice and the service was excellent.

So who is going to deal with Mud out of interest?
#20March 29th, 2011 · 05:17 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
now what about this to discuss...
With the revelation that Mud about to make a decision about his furtherance
(and thats just a word I made up) with bandamp.com
I have been very surprised at the reaction of the site membership to the news
In that most of the posts that show care have come from Europe or Canada
BUT  61% of the sites traffic is from the USA
http://www.websiteoutlook.com/www.bandamp.com
SEEMS LIKE A CORE OF EUROS CARE A LOT  ?
Battlecat u are an honorary eurohaha
but the usa is just not joining in..... or cares
The technical stuff about servers and similar I throw my hands up and declare I do not understand!!
But I do see this looming crisis as a potential opportunity.
please think and resond to this question

1) do you want to see bandamp.com continue??????

answers to this post will tell as only active members will reply
so we can tell how active the website

swordfish

denis will post the time for the skype chat in the forum

if u want to contact me
#21March 29th, 2011 · 06:28 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: now what about this to discuss...
swordfish wrote…
The technical stuff about servers and similar I throw my hands up and declare I do not understand!!

swordfish

my skype is 'john m tobin'

if u want to contact me

i am of the let it die on the vine persuasion after talking to myself a lot....shame
#22March 30th, 2011 · 01:49 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
I'm not. I think people are willing to let things die way too easily in life in general, mostly because it requires the least effort (do nothing), and then they end up in the slow drag of the masses, which is nothing but a weak compromise tailored only to the basic needs of the many, holding nothing in particular for the individual. Commerce shines there, but exclusively from a top-down point of view, and guess where you'll find yourself standing...

You could say let's all move to facebook or myspace or what have you but fat chance you'll find me there. Too massive. People only pay attention to the popular thing of the day and all too easily overlook, ignore or forget the little guy who'd like some feedback on his latest noodle. Not gonna find it there... But BandAMP fulfills that niche. So yeah, hang on to it I'd say.
#23March 30th, 2011 · 05:18 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: now what about this to discuss...
swordfish wrote…

swordfish

if u want to contact me

To be honest guys without Mud I honestly think that bandAMP will sadly end. Even if we finance it, we are all too busy to maintain it. That is the bottom line.

If Mud is happy to stay in control with our financial assistance, needless to say I believe it will work, providing we remain loyal to him.
#24March 30th, 2011 · 07:02 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
I'm up for voluntary financial support if necessary, dont lean on me for organisation administration nore moderation
   the Amp
#25March 30th, 2011 · 11:41 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Hard to say but we don't need Mud's assistance. Mud even doesn't follow backup procedures.
As I said before we just need somebody to push a button if it's necessary. The last time we needed Mud took us one week before the system could be restarted. If the server and it's operating system is configured properly there is no need to push a button. The recent server is not.

Just an example (scenario):
A managed server is located at a socalled "host" on the attic or in the garden or better in an air conditioned and managed datacenter. The host provides an Internet connection (100mbps?) to fullfill bandwidth dreams. And there is a dedicated and managed firewall at this location to prevent attacks by intruders. As long as it's up and running there is no need to act. Backups could be done via Internet... takes one day or two but it's always better to backup the system on the local server by tape or whatever and it wouldn't bebad to have a recovery CD to setup the system quickly in case of loosing harddiscs.
Some points of this scenario have been done by Mud, just some but not all. I believe that Mud doesn't even have access to the firewall to open or close some ports. All requests in the past have been ignored. No reaction.
The recent PHP programmings are based on an old FreeBSD Linux and needs some adaptions to make it work on Ubuntu or another OS. But that's not our recent problem

I did some researches at the greatest german provider site 1und1.de, they offer:

OS Linux (full root access)
1 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 100 GB diskspace = 39,99 Euro per month
1 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 200 GB diskspace = 44,99 Euro per month
1 CPU, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB diskspace = 44,99 Euro per month
1 CPU, 2 GB RAM, 200 GB diskspace = 49,99 Euro per month
unlimited actions in traffic
latest hardware
manageable firewall
hotline 24/7
datacenter environment
Shell access via SSH

this system is declared as a cloud server

If we ask Mud to offer "us" a similar system so why not keep him or his company as "The Host".
#26March 30th, 2011 · 11:43 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
re: re: now what about this to discuss...
Denis wrote…
swordfish wrote…

swordfish

if u want to contact me

To be honest guys without Mud I honestly think that bandAMP will sadly end. Even if we finance it, we are all too busy to maintain it. That is the bottom line.

If Mud is happy to stay in control with our financial assistance, needless to say I believe it will work, providing we remain loyal to him.

well Denis I am not totally with you. We ARE able to maintain a system like that resp. a provider can do it for us. See my post above.
#27March 30th, 2011 · 01:15 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: re: re: now what about this to discuss...
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
Denis wrote…
swordfish wrote…
(and that�s just a word I made up) with bandamp.com
I have been very surprised at the reaction of the site membership to the news�
In that most of the posts that �show care� have come from Europe or Canada
But I do see this looming crisis as a potential opportunity�.

swordfish

if u want to contact me

well Denis I am not totally with you. We ARE able to maintain a system like that resp. a provider can do it for us. See my post above.

Is Mud happy with this? Are you happy to do this work, do you have the time?
What about the legality side of things, who is going to sort that out?
#28March 30th, 2011 · 02:42 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
"happy with this?"?? 
Mud bears the heavy load of (t)his baby all over the years and his short message has shown us that Mud has a mighty finger.
I believe that it's been a big mistake to decide: "the site is yours". It has never been "our" site even we (I) had control over it. If Mud is not willing to power on the system after restart failures or any other faults then Bandamp is no longer present and he has to agree to give away the domain name, if it would come to that.
For example I could make a shutdown of the system and could have a look how long it takes to power on the server by a strange hand. But that's totally against my enthusiasm.

What "work" do you mean and what happiness?
It's not the question of happiness and the site is running w/o doing anything. It's a simple server with 1 CPU, 1GB RAM and some disk space and (!) a nice forum software that brought us together to become virtual friends and sometimes in real (hey Tom., Bas.. )
Now to see that it might be over (and the opera ain't over until the fat lady sings) doesn't make me happy and we have to find a solution.

Now my advice: Let's have a talk with Mud before this thread drifts into a wrong direction. Bring him to join the community again to answer all our questions.

btw.
Thanks to all who are willing to keep Bandamp alive, I take my hat off to them

sorry for my chinese english
#29March 30th, 2011 · 02:49 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
re: re: re: re: now what about this to discuss...
Denis wrote…
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
Denis wrote…
swordfish wrote…
(and that�s just a word I made up) with bandamp.com
I have been very surprised at the reaction of the site membership to the news�
In that most of the posts that �show care� have come from Europe or Canada
But I do see this looming crisis as a potential opportunity�.

swordfish

if u want to contact me

Is Mud happy with this? Are you happy to do this work, do you have the time?
What about the legality side of things, who is going to sort that out?
What legality ? It's an internet site ..... the world is only now starting to deal with piracy and pedos
Mud wrote or compiled this site, he started it off, along with a few others .... but I think this is the only one with a forum.
If you go to nofunc.com you'll find bits of bandAMP code being offered as downloads .... litebox (picture display in Albums), the Five star voting system and alike.

Mud does not have to have anything to do with bandAMP, as TK says it is no problem hosting the site anywhere in the world ..... considering Swordys observation that it is a predominantly European take over there is no reason why it cannot be hosted in Europe ....

But yea! It is still Muds site, he put it here ... though if he has a plan or not he does seem to be letting it go .... he's had TK to do any coding / database maintenance ..... members have always moderated..... and he does very little, except pay for it !

If he still wants to keep it as his 'baby' while we pay for it, I'm not into, I will become an equal holder but then we must have total control of it too. I dont think any of the members who do 'join in' want to drastically change the site because we like it for what it is ... but I do think we are all agreed that it needs to develop and work as an Indi Music site .... For Musicians By Musicians !

Shit! With a little patient perseverance we could get this site moving again .... yes to sharing links with other sites or banners or whatever ... yes to DIGGing a few good songs sometimes .... yes to facebook ... No!
Yes to all good innovative ideas especially when the site is ours.   
#30March 30th, 2011 · 03:14 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
Hard to say but we don't need Mud's assistance. Mud even doesn't follow backup procedures.
As I said before we just need somebody to push a button if it's necessary. The last time we needed Mud took us one week before the system could be restarted. If the server and it's operating system is configured properly there is no need to push a button. The recent server is not.

Just an example (scenario):
A managed server is located at a socalled "host" on the attic or in the garden or better in an air conditioned and managed datacenter. The host provides an Internet connection (100mbps?) to fullfill bandwidth dreams. And there is a dedicated and managed firewall at this location to prevent attacks by intruders. As long as it's up and running there is no need to act. Backups could be done via Internet... takes one day or two but it's always better to backup the system on the local server by tape or whatever and it wouldn't bebad to have a recovery CD to setup the system quickly in case of loosing harddiscs.
Some points of this scenario have been done by Mud, just some but not all. I believe that Mud doesn't even have access to the firewall to open or close some ports. All requests in the past have been ignored. No reaction.
The recent PHP programmings are based on an old FreeBSD Linux and needs some adaptions to make it work on Ubuntu or another OS. But that's not our recent problem

I did some researches at the greatest german provider site 1und1.de, they offer:

OS Linux (full root access)
1 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 100 GB diskspace = 39,99 Euro per month
1 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 200 GB diskspace = 44,99 Euro per month
1 CPU, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB diskspace = 44,99 Euro per month
1 CPU, 2 GB RAM, 200 GB diskspace = 49,99 Euro per month
unlimited actions in traffic
latest hardware
manageable firewall
hotline 24/7
datacenter environment
Shell access via SSH

this system is declared as a cloud server

If we ask Mud to offer "us" a similar system so why not keep him or his company as "The Host".
How much space does the site take up ?

I recently realised the server I use had become much larger, if it would fit we could back up the site there .... or part of it.

If I know how big it is, I can see if I could host it there even.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 9:56 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.