1 2 3 4 5 6 7

#31March 30th, 2011 · 03:18 PM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
what?.........if?......
As I can see there essentially two options : Either we can keep Bandamp running (I hope so) or - in case of dying of this site - it makes sence to look for an alternative site . Not easy, but in addition to Bandamp I´ve found a similar site with a forum , a votingreview system , link system , cover display on your profile ,widgets, stats (not working very well, but who cares), friendship requests, tons of tags , 6 different CC-lincenes ,commercial options., radios, blogs and much much more.

It´s also a nice and friendly community in 8 different languages where I placed an album of 10 tracks.
If the "worst case" will happen actually this could be a possibility to stay together for some of us.
So , here´s the link to "Jamendo" for ya´ll to explore the site
http://www.jamendo.com/en/about

This is my album page
http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/78370?refuid=978926

@TK :I can understand ya chinese english very good        
#32March 30th, 2011 · 09:31 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Why the FLIP are a lot of you now believing that this is the end of bandamp and nothing else can be done and we'll have to go off to other music sites. The solution is simple and easy as many of you have pointed out, like TK for instance. I'm not in the least bit worried about this being the end of bandamp. We can get through this.
#33March 31st, 2011 · 03:46 AM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: The End of BandAMP?
battlecat wrote…
We have recently received word from Mud, (who many of you know is the owner and originator of the site) that he is undergoing some financial challenges and thereby may choose to discontinue financial support of the site at the end of this year. This has serious implications for the continued operations of the site, as Mud has been financing and providing occasional maintenance to the server. This issue has been met with some discussion among the three of us, (Tritonkeyboarder, who has served as our volunteer site Programmer and Administrator, Kings and Battlecat who have served as volunteer Moderators) for the past couple of days, as we pondered the best way to approach this situation.

Responding to some questions posed recently in an email exchange with Tritonkeyboarder, Mud states: “It's $100 per month for the server (including bandwidth ect) it's running on, past that there are no expenses—it's running on an 100mbps unmetered line, it's a bit overkill, but not much more expensive than a metered bandwidth line.”

This news raises more questions, such as: Can the BandAMP community achieve a takeover of the expenses for continued operation of the server? If the community is indeed interested in doing so, how will we raise the money? (Donations? Memberships Fees? Allowing commercial advertising on the site?) If we were somehow able to produce the money each year, would Mud continue to maintain the server for us?

Naturally, it was agreed that we should bring this issue to the BandAMP community for discussion and possible action.

Originated in 2003, BandAMP is quite unique in that it is a community that is extensive, yet intimate. People from all over the world have been able to develop friendships with one another that have existed for years even though they may never have seen each other in person. Originally designated for the promotion and development of independent music artists, the site evolved into a community of people that converse about a variety of topics, from world events to mysticism to celebrations of a member’s birthday. People who are separated by thousands of miles of ocean have been able to create music together through collaboration projects. Efforts are currently underway to produce an album compilation of BandAMP community member’s music. Through participation in the forums, people are able to exchange information, support and inspiration for the continued development of their artistry.  These are merely a few of the activities that are taking place on the site.

Undoubtedly, this issue will warrant further discussion and action. Some questions remain: Do you feel the site is worth saving?  Would you be willing to chip in and help in any way you can?

Suggestions and assistance are welcome.

take one step back .........

[quote=battlecat]We have recently received word from Mud, (who many of you know is the owner and originator of the site) that he is undergoing some financial challenges and thereby may choose to discontinue financial support of the site at the end of this year.

So its not definite then....???
Will mud make up his mind???

When he does let me know...

The end of the year a long way away.....

I think thats me finished here

thanks to all and cya at the Grammies!!!

BYE ........Swordfish
#34March 31st, 2011 · 04:13 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
re: re: The End of BandAMP?
swordfish wrote…

BYE ........Swordfish

Am I to take it that you're leaving the community?
#35March 31st, 2011 · 04:28 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
[quote=swordfish]
battlecat wrote…
We have recently received word from Mud, (who many of you know is the owner and originator of the site) that he is undergoing some financial challenges and thereby may choose to discontinue financial support of the site at the end of this year. This has serious implications for the continued operations of the site, as Mud has been financing and providing occasional maintenance to the server. This issue has been met with some discussion among the three of us, (Tritonkeyboarder, who has served as our volunteer site Programmer and Administrator, Kings and Battlecat who have served as volunteer Moderators) for the past couple of days, as we pondered the best way to approach this situation.

Responding to some questions posed recently in an email exchange with Tritonkeyboarder, Mud states: “It's $100 per month for the server (including bandwidth ect) it's running on, past that there are no expenses—it's running on an 100mbps unmetered line, it's a bit overkill, but not much more expensive than a metered bandwidth line.”

This news raises more questions, such as: Can the BandAMP community achieve a takeover of the expenses for continued operation of the server? If the community is indeed interested in doing so, how will we raise the money? (Donations? Memberships Fees? Allowing commercial advertising on the site?) If we were somehow able to produce the money each year, would Mud continue to maintain the server for us?

Naturally, it was agreed that we should bring this issue to the BandAMP community for discussion and possible action.

Originated in 2003, BandAMP is quite unique in that it is a community that is extensive, yet intimate. People from all over the world have been able to develop friendships with one another that have existed for years even though they may never have seen each other in person. Originally designated for the promotion and development of independent music artists, the site evolved into a community of people that converse about a variety of topics, from world events to mysticism to celebrations of a member’s birthday. People who are separated by thousands of miles of ocean have been able to create music together through collaboration projects. Efforts are currently underway to produce an album compilation of BandAMP community member’s music. Through participation in the forums, people are able to exchange information, support and inspiration for the continued development of their artistry.  These are merely a few of the activities that are taking place on the site.

Undoubtedly, this issue will warrant further discussion and action. Some questions remain: Do you feel the site is worth saving?  Would you be willing to chip in and help in any way you can?

battlecat wrote…
We have recently received word from Mud, (who many of you know is the owner and originator of the site) that he is undergoing some financial challenges and thereby may choose to discontinue financial support of the site at the end of this year.

BYE ........Swordfish
Hey fishman , what´s up ? Why this reaction ?
This is just a "brainstorming" , a discussion . Everyone´s  throwing his thoughts and ideas "in the box" to find out what can be done to save our forum.
And it´s not wrong to think about the worst case and if we can find a new, common home if necessary.
C´mon , dude , don´t leave us alone now. Let´s keep our brains "storming".
U . L . I .
#36March 31st, 2011 · 09:10 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
battlecat wrote…

battlecat wrote…
We have recently received word from Mud, (who many of you know is the owner and originator of the site) that he is undergoing some financial challenges and thereby may choose to discontinue financial support of the site at the end of this year.

BYE ........Swordfish

I told ya! He's being a Puffed Up Fish again !

So what have we done now Swordy ? 

Dont forget to delete all your songs !!!!! ..... remember you'll have to put them all back again when you decide that all is forgiven .... that is if you can find them on your pc ! 

Only kidding for gods sakes dont delete your songs ... we can listen to them "in memory of ... "
#37March 31st, 2011 · 06:20 PM
38 threads / 11 songs
278 posts
Canada
Did anyone even read either of my post or the Kunadiun's?

Please read em and let me know what you guys think.
#38April 1st, 2011 · 03:14 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
thebigguyconnor wrote…
Did anyone even read either of my post or the Kunadiun's?

Please read em and let me know what you guys think.

As I have it most people in this thread do not think that this is the end, and have showed willingness to support the site financially atleast. There's always someone attempting to raise hysteria ofcourse, but faring an emotional course will not help decide what action to take much at all. That action must be taken, however, is evident, and so far people have been trying to think of possible solutions to the problem. Let's sum it up:

If we do nothing, and mud decides to stop paying for server space, BandAMP ceases to exist. A part of the community may decide to move to alternative sites, and so a legacy will live on, but that's basically it.

If we can make an agreement with mud, and a few of us set up monthly payment to financially support mud, he will keep BandAMP running pretty much as is, as he will not have a valid reason to pull the plug anymore. I think we have enough people willing to make these donations to not really "feel" that in our wallets per individual. But there are some points to this solution, as TK points out, will not solve an essential structural problem with the management of the site.

To get management in order, some parts of muds role need to be taken over, and not just the financial part; updating and keeping an eye on the actual software, databases, backups - essential maintenance, things that are not being done now, but are very important in running a site. Someone who has the "absolute" control, and is actually actively paying attention to it. It's not even that much work, but it has to be done.

So this brings us to the point where we need to come to an agreement, and distill what actions we should take. And, WHO should take WHAT action. Do we want the site AND the management to move? Or will we just forward some money to mud and let him "Deal" with the situation, pretty much keeping things as they are and risking all the side effects of having no backups and rapidly aging forum software not being updated?

Atleast most of us understand that hysteria is not an option, and this certainly isn't the end.
#39April 1st, 2011 · 03:31 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Good word PX,

we are all talking about Mud and his possible plans, and it came to thread#39 now. I am still missing his statement. As I mentioned before, let Mud speak for himself.

@thebigguy
make a concept on how a possible new site can look like, where it's hosted, who pays for it in the case you don't like ads and don't want to place it in your concept
are you willing to do the programmings, maintenances?

@ the community:
Get in touch with Mud. all these coulds, woulds, maybes are useless until we have clear things and opinions on the table for making decisions.
#40April 3rd, 2011 · 07:19 PM
34 threads / 16 songs
538 posts
Mexico
My support
Hey ampers...

I have been out of sight for a very very long time. Today i had this urge to enter bandamp again and found this thread.

Right now i'm not in position to help the site financially and (even) i don't think i have any bright ideas to bring in... i just wanted to say that after all this years my heart is still with you and i hope the comunity can find a solution on time.

Tomas.
#41April 3rd, 2011 · 09:04 PM
50 threads / 32 songs
292 posts
Canada
My biggest concern IF the site remains is whether or not the servers will be updated... Crawlers seem to be able to access the BandAMP songfile database far too easily.

As for keeping the site up, I'm in high school and unemployed, so I can't do much. Keep us updated though, I think all of us joined BandAMP for a reason!

--XFactor--
#42April 4th, 2011 · 12:31 AM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Oh god! I just noticed this topic today!
I'll take the time to read it carefully tomorrow and leave a proper comment on the matter.
Long live BandAMP!

> Iszil
#43April 4th, 2011 · 01:22 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Right now it is time to read what mud has to say. I do not know if there has been any talk with him yet, I feel it is TK's, battlecats and kings place to ask mud to talk with us, the community, publicly here in this thread. Then we can state our ideas and wishes, and work out a deal. I do not feel it my place to contact mud directly myself, so I hope he can be asked to make an appearance soon.
#44April 4th, 2011 · 02:44 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Question: Whats with the sides of bandamp now being greyish/white? Does this have anything to do with this thread or any new changes taking place at the code level of bandamp?
#45April 4th, 2011 · 06:48 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
TheKunadiun wrote…
Question: Whats with the sides of bandamp now being greyish/white? Does this have anything to do with this thread or any new changes taking place at the code level of bandamp?
As this is a question posted to the wrong forum (please post technical or similar questions in the correct forum) let me tell you, that I am messing around with some custom styles. This has nothing to do with server movements etc. It's simply a design work in progress
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 1:31 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.