1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

#61September 1st, 2005 · 03:14 AM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
i think the problem with british music is that all the good acts have come and gone.

and plus, im in to jazz and blues which is innately american (apart from eric! )
#62September 1st, 2005 · 11:08 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
well, i think that a large part of the draw to "american" stuff for some people is the fact that it's not like what they do.  now, that can be for better or for worse, as we've already pointed out

we're a big melting pot over here and the social scene is SOOO varied depending on where you are.  american culture doesn't conform to any one thing.  west coast is really different from east coast, and the midwest is something different altogether, and then you've got all these southern "im too bitter about the conferate states of america losing the civil war so i'm going to hate black people" states with a dash of tolerant people..

i mean..

with places like this... it's no wonder that we have such varied musical (among other things) heritage.

again, that's all for better or for worse.  it goes both ways! 
#63September 1st, 2005 · 11:28 AM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
OMG I can not believe you went there. That is such a stereo type. Let me guess you've never spent any decent amount of time down south.
As I was flipping thru the channels last night I heard someone say Southerners were slow
I'm quick witted, I believe Entheon said he was from the south originally, he's not slow
You are being just as racist against the south as you think the south is to blacks

And yes, US is extremely varied, but it is big, and different cultures and ethnic backgrounds have a tendency to settle in certain areas, and that is a generalization.  So of course we have a varied mix of cultures.
"with places like this"-don't go on your america bashing conquest yet, wait until you've lived in another country for a while

your still on my good side though, tread lightly
#64September 1st, 2005 · 12:03 PM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
easy now - we dont want a cyber brawl breaking out.

i work in a music shop, and i had a customer ask what sticks we do, so i told him.  all of these are (by coincidence) american companies.  so he replies "do you have any that aren't from america?" to which i reply "no.  why?".  his answer:

(brace yourseves...)

"I dont like americans"

WTF?  who the hell is he to say he doesnt like the entire population of a country the size of europe for f***S sake!  i nearly blew my top.  one of my best friends lives in NJ, and i could have shot him where he stood.

so CC, i completely agree that you cannt generalise.  on the other hand, i think TLS was being flippant and didnt seriously mean that everyone from down south are morons.

and i leave you with one final thought (my quote for the day, if you will)

"everyone who generalises is a prat".

thank you, and good night
#65September 1st, 2005 · 12:05 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
no,no,no.. i was saying that the "i'm going to hate black people" IS the stereo type

however, i wish to point out that stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason.. or at least, they USED to have a reason.

i don't think it's so true anymore.

i didn't mean to imply that is what I think that same thing.

i've actually lived all over the place, and about the last 2/3 of my life has been in the southern areas.  not DEEP south, but south nonetheless.
#66September 1st, 2005 · 12:08 PM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
i wish i'd travelled more.  so far in my life ive been to england (where i live), hungry and australia.  its a bit random!  my aunt and uncle and 4 cuz's live in melbourne.  but apart from that i havent seen anywhere.  ive never even been to france!!
#67September 1st, 2005 · 12:10 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
my trip to canada in a few weeks will be the first time that i leave the country, actually.  most of my trips around the US were short-lived except for my time being more south.  in fact, though, i wanna go to russia and japan.
#68September 1st, 2005 · 12:20 PM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
why those places in particular?
#69September 1st, 2005 · 12:28 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
i've just got a strong interest in japanese language and culture, and russia..

well.. i dunno     the language is cool, but i think it's mostly the location and stuff.. i dunno.. architecture, history, it's sort of intriguing i think
#70September 1st, 2005 · 12:46 PM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
hmmm ... yeah i see what you mean.

i dunno why, but i REALLY wanna go to greece!
#71September 1st, 2005 · 01:03 PM
8 threads / 7 songs
96 posts
Canada
does anyone know whether it's true that Dubya didn't have a passport until he became President? This is a "fact" I have heard thrown around a bit and am curious as to its validity... I think the underlying implication is, Who the hell does he think he is dictating foreign policy when he'd never even left the country in the first 40-odd years of his life? And I hear he and his family are actually from Connecticut: T/F? Funny to play up the country boy southerner thing if so, dontcha think?

Sitting listening to a GREAT Toronto band called Junetile (here: http://www.junetile.com/listen.html#)... played with them for a while a couple years back (in fact, if you listen VERY closely you can hear a single note I played on the 2nd track)... sort of a Radiohead vibe. Yay: best track on the album: Stayput.

Whaddya think?
#72September 1st, 2005 · 05:30 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
huh.  i dunno.  i think anybody looking to constantly nail the leader of any country should be tied to a flagpole a dragged behind a concrete truck.

i wanna know why everybody wants to hate everybody else.

regardless of the fact if he was born in Connecticut, he lived in the south most of his life, but i could care less one way or another.  he's got a job to do and he's doing it.  i'm more worried about what the heck gas prices are going to be in the near future.  in Georgia it's almost $6.00 per a gallon of gas b/c there simply isn't enough.  it hit $3.10 late last night when i had to get some.  oi.  it's gonna be rough.  i'm more worried about dealing with the stuff i can deal with than whether or not Bush had a passport yet.

who cares?  even if he HAD a passport at age 23, what good would it do him?  yeah, he could see some places, but the fact that a person has made a tourist visit to a country should hold no ground on whether or not s/he's fit to be a president.  i think it's a rather silly arguement, personally, the bush is so "underqualified" for stuff.  people just look for a way to hate on him.  i'm not saying he's done everything perfectly... but... who CAN do things perfectly.  if ANYBODY says "kerri" or something, i may consider never talking to such a person again.

*sigh*

wow, sry.  i just sort of kept going on and on.  it's alright to talk about bush and whatever.  your opinion is your own, of course.  i just don't like it when people point fingers and try to ruin him b/c they think he's "stupid".  i have never heard a more childish arguement

anyway.

i haven't heard of Junetile, so I'll have to check them out tomarrow morning.  how is that pronounced?  like.. "joon-eh-tie-ell"?  hehe.  i'll letcha know what i think when i listen in!
#73September 2nd, 2005 · 12:45 AM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
i guess it just comes back to the simple principle - if you dont know someone then dont judge them.  i mean - im not exactly a huge tony blair fan, but it still wouldnt say i hate him cos i dont know him!  does that make sense?
#74September 2nd, 2005 · 04:39 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
of course!  that's a good way to sum it up.

yes, so, the US sucks right now.  gas prices are horrible.  it all because of that frickin hurricane.  it's done so much bad stuff.  New Orleans is a ruin.  that city may never fully exist again.  arg.  there are gas stations where i live that are either closing b/c they don't have the money to keep buying massively-expensive gas barrels, limiting the amount of gas any given vehicle can get per stop, or the suppliers to the gas stations says that THEY can't deliver a full shipment of gas.  i have no idea what i'm gunna do currently.  the prices doubled around here and i can't say that i have the money to support that.

haha..

IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!  nah.  i'm just stressed.  when you don't have a stable job, it's hard to avoid living from paycheck to paycheck.

*big sigh*  and i've still got to order some stuff for this cd project for the radio..
#75September 2nd, 2005 · 06:17 AM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
Yeah, yeah yeah, Rd and TLS, the jovial peacemakers.
"I hate americans" Well, To be honest I don't buy anything of great value that is American made. I think Japan has cornered that market. They all sleep in their offices, uhp, there I go making a general assumption again. BTW what is a prat exactly?

TLS"stereo types are..." I agree, Stereo types are stereo types for a reason and yes some of them are outdated.
And what is considered "deep" south, in a swamp where we eat possum?

BTW you two should not take me so seriously, I'm agnostic and like to change my mind at any...ah see I just changed my mind.(that was a lame attempt at a joke)

"anyone looking to constantly nail the leader..." Preach it TLS, at least we have a leader-and this is no attempt to be political, I'm just glad there aren't bushmen(no pun intended) running around with macheties and guns forcing their own political agenda-oh wait, there are. Hey I like the guy too, I wished he would have been more honest about his reasons for going to Iraq, though, and this is just my opinion. And no I won't say Kerri bc at least I knew Bush's political agenda.
"New Orleans...may never fully exist again" It probably shouldn't, having a city below sea level in the middle of two giant walls of water is not the best of ideas.
"Gas is so high" yeah I get high sniffing gas too And who said Bush didn't know what he was doing tearing up Alaska trying to get more oil. Those "nay-sayers" they are sorry now aren't they.
And I'll go back to what I said in a previous post, I personally prefer Tyranny, take over your country then take over everyone elses country and have the whole market at your disposal.       
What cd project?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 19th, 2024 · 2:14 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.