1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

#16August 27th, 2005 · 02:06 PM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
I have a dream!
though now I will comment...

This forum is, as it says, by musicians for musicians. not every musician is an equally talented player. The older wiser and more talented musicians on this forum should be here to help those who suck. Those who suck are here to get help. By musicians, for musicians. This is not a forum by assholes for people who suck. This is a forum by musicians for musicians.

To all those of you who ARE great musicians AND great players:

• we have a responsibility to all those bad musicians to let them know they suck.
  • we have a responsibility to Grade them accurately.
  • we have a responsibility to let them know they suck in a kind and loving manner.
  • we have a responsibility to show them how they can improve.
  • we have a responsibility to lead by example.
  • we have a responsibility to show them where to go.
  • we have a responsibility to show them what not to do.
  • we have a responsibility to guide them on to the righteous path.
  • we have a responsibility to grant them beingness
  • we have a responsibility to relinquish control
  • we have a responsibility to let it be
  • we have a responsibility to let them be who they are

because... they will play slam-grass if they want to... and remember - people like it

I have a dream! That one day little talented children and little talentless children will play side by side, without predjudice, and without sounding bad.

I have a dream! That we will one day create only talented aesthetically pleasing music which is free from the evils of an image based society!

I have a dream! That one day a man will be judged only by the merits of his musical character and not by the beauty of his face!

I have a dream!
#17August 29th, 2005 · 03:41 PM
3 threads / 2 songs
27 posts
United States of America
I concur, but, btbowen has been arguing that the majority of the music on the site is shit because of low quality recordings and inexperience(if I'm wrong, feel free to correct). I'm arguing the point that, although I wouldn't expect a recording contract with a lot of the music here, I still find it totally valid as music and refuse to look down on it for not being refined. Just because someone hasn't played for very long and has shitty equipment shouldn't mean that they have no vision. Once again, this site (as far as I understand) is a place where other musicians can critique THE MUSIC AND THE IDEAS THAT ONE IS GOING FOR and be able to look beyond all of the crap inbetween that time will fix. I've heard some horrible recordings on here, but I'm not going to dock a musician because of those facts. I'm going to frown upon plagerism, no talent, and the all encompassing cheese factor. Besides, if every musicain quit for inexperince and shit equipment, there would be no music. No Hendrix, no Lennon, no Beethoven, no Bach, no Coltrane, no music at all, what so ever. See my point?
#18August 30th, 2005 · 03:50 AM
8 threads / 7 songs
96 posts
Canada
Bird
So there's this somewhat widely-accepted story (read: legend) about Charlie Parker that when he was about 15 or 16 he went and sat in with Red Garland and Buster Smith cause he thought he could play. They let him sit in on one tune and blow a couple choruses (i.e. improvise over the changes a couple times), and he *sucked*. They kicked him off the bandstand and told him never to come back. So he disappeared for 2 or 3 years, off to the woodshed with his alto to practice and practice, and finally went back to NY and asked the same guys if he could sit in again, and they finally conceded, and well, the rest (comme on dit en francais) is history.

So okay. Sometimes you just can't tell. BUT those musicians were less than gracious and loving about his playing, and he still came back and kicked ass...
#19August 30th, 2005 · 04:07 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
see, that's what seperates the greats from the forgotten.  the greats have incredible opportunities, but it's because they devote themselves to it.

not many people are 110% devoted to music these days.  well, to qualify that statement, there's not many famous people that are so devoted.  they get contracts because their older sister is in the pop music biz.  they get a contract because they're good friends with a band that earned the spot the band sits in.  because of all that, yeah, we've got crappy musicians like the plague

BUT--

we're all in it for the same base reasons, regardless of how far we make it.  it's just that some of us care about it more than others.
#20August 30th, 2005 · 07:38 AM
8 threads / 7 songs
96 posts
Canada
wow. Anybody know if there's already a band called "The Plague"? Cause if not I hereby claim the name; I'm gonna start a generic pop band called that and we're gonna write songs about how we made it writing shitty ditties and how stupid the public is to buy our stuff. Zappa will live again.
#21August 30th, 2005 · 07:53 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
no, there's no pop band called The Plague.  there's plenty of "punk" ones that are all big-bad-to-the-core-so-we-scream-like-monkeys..

..but they don't count
#22August 30th, 2005 · 07:57 AM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
LOL.  the sad thing about the idea is that most of the public would take it seriously and go out and buy the "plagues" music!!
#23August 30th, 2005 · 09:39 AM
8 threads / 7 songs
96 posts
Canada
are you suggesting I'm not taking it seriously? are you possibly implying that you wouldn't buy my shit music? Fine. we'll see who laughs last.

btw, who's got a guitar they can sell me?
#24August 30th, 2005 · 09:49 AM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
i apologise ... i would never suggest that "the plague's" crap music would not be worthy of my money.  its just that ... well, it wouldnt be!

#25August 30th, 2005 · 09:52 AM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
Does anyone remember the Presidents of the US of A band back in the 90's:
They had a song called We're not gonna make it,
"Cuz there's a million better bands
With a million better songs
Singers who can drum
Singers who can sing...
Cuz we don't have the talent
And we don't have the time
We don't have the patience
And we don't know how to rhyme..." ~ can anyone relate?lol
#26August 30th, 2005 · 09:55 AM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
im not from the USA so i may be missing the joke ... were they sucessful?
#27August 30th, 2005 · 10:10 AM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
Yeah, for about a month. But I thought it extremely funny and ironical.
I went over to France during that time too and they knew of them, maybe you had a happier childhood full of good lyrics and good bands
#28August 30th, 2005 · 10:17 AM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
Ever heard that song "Millions of Peaches, peaches for me, millions of peaches, peaches for free" same band~I'd like to think they did it as bt said, a "plague" joke.
#29August 30th, 2005 · 10:20 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
haha, i didn't draw the connection to the band

yeah, i know them!
#30August 30th, 2005 · 10:23 AM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
oh, we've had our fair share of aweful one hit wonders.  take the "fast food rockers" for example.  i pray to god that you wont have had to sit through their "song" on constant radio air-play for 3 months last year.

and what about the "cheaky girls"?  ringing any bells?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 19th, 2024 · 1:44 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.