1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

#76December 13th, 2008 · 07:09 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
slight modification, and added a player.  Wimpy was a good choice for bandamp when we got started, but now it's overly complicated, and there are better (free) alternatives.  I've gotten one implamented, and I've set up a way to skin it along with the theme as well.

http://bandamprewrite.site50.net/media/music/topic.php?t=10
#77December 13th, 2008 · 09:28 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: The Official Rewrite Thread
BIG thank you fer your ongoing work

i really dont understand hahahahahah

BIG THANK YOU

FISH
#78December 14th, 2008 · 01:33 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
You are quite welcome, my friend

So, "associated media" is working now.  This means that you can have various media types logically linked together, such as a song and its lyrics.  the lyrics are still going to show up in the lyrics forum, and the music will show up in the audio forum, however you'll have quick links to jump between them when such a connection exists.  It'll be up to the user to properly associate their media in such cases.

When you upload a new project, you have the option to upload multiple kinds of media at the same time.  These media will be uploaded with this association already in place.

http://bandamprewrite.site50.net/media/music/topic.php?t=10

By the way.. my copy of Internet Explorer 8 beta has officially lost compatibility with the "Traditional" skin.  The media player won't show up in the right spot, and the elements don't overlap like they should.  I'm hoping the behavior is due to one of two things (or maybe both) :
1) IE 8 is buggy and will be fixed when its official release comes out
2) My IE8 is extra buggy, and will crash when I paste a URL into the URL box (useful, huh?).  Several other bugs exist.  I'm hoping that it's just my installation.
#79December 14th, 2008 · 07:31 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Yep.... less is more!!

nice player, works fine with your mp3. Does it play videos too?

And let the player start when you enter the song (maybe an option in member's profile? start player by default or not)
#80December 14th, 2008 · 04:25 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Nice Player TLS...Im liking the lay out a lot!!!!
#81December 14th, 2008 · 05:40 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
well, it doesn't do video, which was a disappointment... so i'm still on the lookout for a video player.  Although... really, we don't need a video player yet, since step 1 of video support is embedding YouTube videos into the page.  I would like to switch over to a good video player eventually.

I'll have to built an option into the profile, to allow the songs to start automatically.  Normally that's set by the skin, but I can have a profile preference override that.

thanks for the encouragement!
#82December 24th, 2008 · 03:07 PM
24 threads
166 posts
United States of America
SIG's
Just a thought.... but why not let your members have a signature on their posts..... would it be that hard to incoporate that? i mean i know i would like to be able to slap a bit of creativity onto all of my posts!!!
you could use it as a link to your most recent works or your myspace or stuff like that!! it would be another small thing that makes the 'amp that much greater
#83December 24th, 2008 · 06:05 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: The Official Rewrite Thread
merry christmas TLS.........

Thanks for all your work......

Santa Fish
#84December 27th, 2008 · 03:55 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
re: SIG's
DowntownSasquatch wrote…
Just a thought.... but why not let your members have a signature on their posts..... would it be that hard to incoporate that? i mean i know i would like to be able to slap a bit of creativity onto all of my posts!!!
you could use it as a link to your most recent works or your myspace or stuff like that!! it would be another small thing that makes the 'amp that much greater

Conceptually, that's a good idea, one that we've considered before... I'd like to have something like that, but I want to keep it in check... as in, I don't want some goofball to have a signature 3 times the size of his/her largest post, and to have that person post multiple times on the same page with their animated images and intrusive colors :P

At any rate-- if there are any suggestions, of course let me know, but I do plan on having at least text signatures (with links of course)
#85December 27th, 2008 · 04:05 PM
24 threads
166 posts
United States of America
yea... ultimate-guitar.com does a thing where you can put anything in as long as it only such a size and not over so many characters!!
#86December 27th, 2008 · 04:14 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
hows the rewrite coming?
#87December 29th, 2008 · 03:21 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
been on pause the last week or so, but I've been exploring some new ideas a little bit...  Truth be told, I've been checking on how tough it would be to write the site in the Python programming language.  Not as well known as PHP, I'd venture, but it's so nice.  I've already got the basics up and working, but I've been toying with a good solid easy way to do dynamic content (AJAX, for those interested) through a Python interface, so that you have to worry less about the technicalities.  The Python approach is object-oriented... a Page object, and then PageSection objects which make up the various content sections on the site... I'll spare you all the technical details, unless you want to hear them.

My goal in exploring this approach is that I want to make the site as easy as humanly possible to alter in the future.  Python provides a nice clean syntax, built-in objects, and its NOT spaghetti-like, as PHP often is.  I've written enough Python classes to abstract the programming enough that only basic Python knowledge would be needed in order to add new features to the site.

Work should resume again shortly, though I'm not sure if that work will resume in PHP or Python form.  I sort of expect that any of you who are web programmers who read this will shout out to me "no!  stay with the PHP standard!"  , but I'm telling you-- Python is an excellent candidate for web programming.
#88December 29th, 2008 · 05:38 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Have you been in touch with Avi?
I'm sure he'd lend a hand somewhere along the line. He still popes in from time to time.

As you say signatures can become WAY too much on a page, though a text quote or a link could be useful.
If a member really wants a signature they can make their own bit of code and post it every time.

Hope you had a good Christmas Tim. 
#89December 29th, 2008 · 05:55 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
I sent Avi a casual email a while back, but I haven't heard back from him.  I think I've got the project under control, it's just a matter of how to conceptually organize it for best use in the future.

As for signatures, I have had an idea on a related note:  Along with showing the number of posts/threads/etc by your username/picture on your forum posts, I'd like to have 1 or 2 of your "current project" media projects listed next to your name as well, so that users can quickly see whatever songs/lyrics/etc that you've currently got in the works.  This would partially reduce the kind of content that one would even put into his/her signature.  Now, for linking to outside websites or witty taglines for your posts, "sigs" are still the way to go.

I did have a nice Christmas, my friend, and I hope to have a nice New Year as well   I bought myself a big 25.5-inch computer monitor, widescreen LCD, which now rules my living room! Mwahah..    Hope you're having a nice end-of-the year countdown yourself!
#90January 8th, 2009 · 05:24 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
@TLS ; Hows it going? Not over worked I hope!
I dont know if you had this in mind for a site update (the threads getting too long to remember)but would it not make sense to have , along side Projects and Lyrics, a possibility of creating Albums?
 I suppose it would be similar to having many different 'play lists' but with a little more details and info , so that an Album Page can be visited, and as with many bA pages now, all the songs listed on that page could be "sent to player", meaning you could as a visitor have an album playing from a certain member while you ..... do your thang!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 3:29 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.