1 2 3 4 5 6

#16January 15th, 2006 · 05:55 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Oldies, once you have produced an original piece of work, whether it is music, writing, or a picture that you take at the beach, you automatically own the copyrights to that work. No need to register it anywhere...

There is no way that you can be disowned of these copyrights in any way. When you sign to a label or so, you are granting a license for distribution which is tied to terms in a contract. But you will always maintain the copyrights...

Copyright societies are there to keep track of these rights and see to it that original owner of the work is getting a rightful share of any winnings would there be made any through the use of this work (p.e. via sales, media broadcast). This is a complex and costly process (keeping track) so it only makes sense to actually join a copyright society when you are actually being distributed. But, as said, the original artist will ALWAYS be in final say of their work... And if any other party would feel otherwise, the copyright society will be there to back up (or speak / take action for) the artist by threatening with law suits... and the like.

So, if a song, submitted to this site, would also be released on a commercially available album, then it would be for the artist to decide whether or not he wants it available for free download at this site, too. Now, for instance, I do have two songs on here which you can also buy on an album, but I don't really mind about having them here aswell. That is MY OWN choice... BandAMP doesn't have to pay me any royalties because I have songs on here which are also commercially available. I granted a license of free distribution to BandAMP, and I am (or in fact: should be) in full control of withdrawing this grant. Those are the terms I agreed with when I first joined this site I believe?

However, as it turns out, "Wallcrack" was in a battle and if I wanted to (and I don't want to btw), I could not delete that song right away. And THAT isn't right! And I take it that this is only a minor thing for mud to solve, he could easily change the code so that it will be possible for original copyright owners to delete their work... and in fact, they should be able to delete their work at any time, even when a song is in the battle at that moment.

When an artist decides to upload his works he only allows BandAMP to have it on here for people to listen to and download it for as long as the artist wants it to be, but he doesn't actually give the song away. That is legally not even possible... So if an artist would then be obstructed in taking the song down, then that's where an actual copyright problem occurs and this should be dealt with accordingly. In this case, for mud to change the code... But if there would be any serious loss of winnings when an artist would be unable to timely take a song down when he has the right to, because it would for instance involve Michael Jacksons uploading a preview to his latest single on here, then we're talking royalty issues... However, no sane copyright society in the world would waste money on a court case when there's only peanuts involved. I think you should really understand that difference...

Another thing, Oldies, if you feel you have to say something about such a delicate subject, I really suggest doing some thorough research before you speak up. I've studied writing and copyright laws were part of the course, so that's why I know a few things about it. However, there are literally shelves full of books written on this subject and if it were at all an easy to understand matter... JBP and Swordfish and I wouldn't have had this skype conference till 3:00 AM last... umm this morning

I think that oughta says it all
#17January 15th, 2006 · 08:59 AM
29 threads / 14 songs
355 posts
Poland
I agree, it does say it all. Thank you Puppet. All that's there 4 us to do is look forward to MUD's reply.

Mud?
#18January 16th, 2006 · 04:35 PM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
Oh alright sorry I didn't know about the copyrights, but I do know a little about contracts and such and that it is perfectly legal what Mud is doing, but yes you should be able to remove songs at anytime, which I'm sure he can and can allow.  Which he probably should, because Bassboy is right, there could eventually be legal problems if someone does want to do so. It's quite clear that you are giving up your music for public listening and download if you post it on the site, so there can't be any trouble with that, but there needs to be the option to take that away at any time, whether it was in a battle or not, because it is still your music and you need to be able to do what you like with it. Not that this problem is ever going to arise with me if I ever do get some music up here 
#19January 17th, 2006 · 11:58 PM
14 threads / 12 songs
76 posts
Indonesia
i surely agree
FYI, me n my friend are working on a commercial album right now, but i also have couple of songs in Bandamp.com. So, i'm so agree with u PuppetXeno...we're here because we're all love music. Music is my objectives in live. 
#20January 18th, 2006 · 08:45 AM
8 posts
Sweden
"the original artist will ALWAYS.."
PuppetXeno wrote…
Oldies, once you have produced an original piece of work, whether it is music, writing, or a picture that you take at the beach, you automatically own the copyrights to that work. No need to register it anywhere...

There is no way that you can be disowned of these copyrights in any way. When you sign to a label or so, you are granting a license for distribution which is tied to terms in a contract. But you will always maintain the copyrights...

Copyright societies are there to keep track of these rights and see to it that original owner of the work is getting a rightful share of any winnings would there be made any through the use of this work (p.e. via sales, media broadcast). This is a complex and costly process (keeping track) so it only makes sense to actually join a copyright society when you are actually being distributed. But, as said, the original artist will ALWAYS be in final say of their work... And if any other party would feel otherwise, the copyright society will be there to back up (or speak / take action for) the artist by threatening with law suits... and the like.

So, if a song, submitted to this site, would also be released on a commercially available album, then it would be for the artist to decide whether or not he wants it available for free download at this site, too. Now, for instance, I do have two songs on here which you can also buy on an album, but I don't really mind about having them here aswell. That is MY OWN choice... BandAMP doesn't have to pay me any royalties because I have songs on here which are also commercially available. I granted a license of free distribution to BandAMP, and I am (or in fact: should be) in full control of withdrawing this grant. Those are the terms I agreed with when I first joined this site I believe?

However, as it turns out, "Wallcrack" was in a battle and if I wanted to (and I don't want to btw), I could not delete that song right away. And THAT isn't right! And I take it that this is only a minor thing for mud to solve, he could easily change the code so that it will be possible for original copyright owners to delete their work... and in fact, they should be able to delete their work at any time, even when a song is in the battle at that moment.

When an artist decides to upload his works he only allows BandAMP to have it on here for people to listen to and download it for as long as the artist wants it to be, but he doesn't actually give the song away. That is legally not even possible... So if an artist would then be obstructed in taking the song down, then that's where an actual copyright problem occurs and this should be dealt with accordingly. In this case, for mud to change the code... But if there would be any serious loss of winnings when an artist would be unable to timely take a song down when he has the right to, because it would for instance involve Michael Jacksons uploading a preview to his latest single on here, then we're talking royalty issues... However, no sane copyright society in the world would waste money on a court case when there's only peanuts involved. I think you should really understand that difference...

Another thing, Oldies, if you feel you have to say something about such a delicate subject, I really suggest doing some thorough research before you speak up. I've studied writing and copyright laws were part of the course, so that's why I know a few things about it. However, there are literally shelves full of books written on this subject and if it were at all an easy to understand matter... JBP and Swordfish and I wouldn't have had this skype conference till 3:00 AM last... umm this morning

I think that oughta says it all ;)

Thanks, PuppetXeno, for getting my point and clearing it up. In the line
"the original artist will ALWAYS be in final say of their work."
it is all said.

Just wondering this "mud's" lurking behind the silence.
#21January 20th, 2006 · 05:06 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Personal Messages!
Mud, I think you should restore the system that e-mailed you when you get a PM.
Please, because now nobody checks their My Home page very often.

> Iszil
#22January 26th, 2006 · 01:37 PM
8 posts
Sweden
Hello . . .
#23January 28th, 2006 · 03:06 PM
8 posts
Sweden
PuppetXeno wrote…

I think that oughta says it all ;)

Hi guys,

doesn't it tell you something, when having a great discussion about a serious subject the admin lurks afraid in silence (is this a common way on this website to handle the, perhaps, undesirable situation?)? There's is a well-grounded problem on this website that threats every artist's rights, and that should, indeed, be taken seriously.

I am still waiting the decent answer, or decent ACTS to correct the mistake. Every artist needs his rights to deside how long his music is listened for free. So we are still waiting. -
#24January 28th, 2006 · 06:34 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
now, mud is a very busy person with other projects and all, so you have to give him some time to get back at this.

he trusts that this site is just going about it's business so he doesn't attend to it when he's working on his other things, and he's probably pretty unaware of this discussion.

for a fact, he has posted an explanation to his absence earlier this month: http://forum.bandamp.com/Feedback/15453.html

so, a little patience is required...

most of the people here are good guys after all...
#25February 4th, 2006 · 05:16 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
mud wrote…
You can delete any of your songs which have not competed in a Battle. Which means you'd have to 1st upload a song, then submit it to a battle, then actually finish the battle before you cannot delete the song. The option to delete the song is right next to the song name once you've uploaded it... Dunno why there would be an option to delete if you didnt have a song to delete...  :D

Quite interesting...  I would be interested in understanding why you cannot delete them after the battle is over....
              JimK
#26February 9th, 2006 · 07:56 PM
15 threads / 11 songs
147 posts
United States of America
Why do all good posts come to a bitter but trying end?
The subject of copywrite and all has never been an issue. I would hope that noone would be like that. But look at other sites.....myspace has tons of signed artist on it. No problems there. And its free also. Maybe you should do a little more research my friend. Because I am one of the founders of this site.
#27February 10th, 2006 · 01:45 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
nunly81 wrote…
Why do all good posts come to a bitter but trying end?
The subject of copywrite and all has never been an issue. I would hope that noone would be like that. But look at other sites.....myspace has tons of signed artist on it. No problems there. And its free also. Maybe you should do a little more research my friend. Because I am one of the founders of this site.

Well, congratulations on such a lovely site,

but the problem is this, and ONLY this: the artists should be able to take their songs off this site at ANY time, at THEIR convenience.

It's in the terms. Just read my post earlier in the thread, and here: http://forum.bandamp.com/Questions/15621.html

Myspace (and lots of other less nice music upload sites) is different because one IS capable of taking songs down at any time.

It's not about royalties, it's about a minor legal matter. Artist = in final say of their work, it's in the terms that come with bandamp FCOL. Maybe YOU should do a little more research....
#28February 10th, 2006 · 04:04 AM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
Guys, chill out. This site is basically still just a hobby website. I have the full-intention of letting anyone delete their MP3 (unless they win 1-3rd place, and accept a prize). I don't have the time right now to work on BandAMP, however, I do have a major update basically ready to go live (however it requires me parsing the database into the new database schema). The new version will allow you to delete MP3's, along with many other things, and basic polishing of the entire system.

Give me a few weeks at least. Entheon is coming back next week to get things started again (that's the latest news anyways), so we'll start fixing all the problems that have cropped up since I left. Seriously, just very busy on other projects now.
#29February 13th, 2006 · 01:19 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
An idea could be to move all songs from February Battle to March one, to make everyone able to win a prize.

> Iszil
#30February 13th, 2006 · 04:30 PM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
Everyone will be able to get prizes in all the battles from now on, so that probably wouldn't be worth it.
1 2 3 4 5 6

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 3:45 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.