1 2 3 4 5 6

#46March 7th, 2006 · 06:28 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
BassBoy wrote…
About the "unless they win 1-3rd place, and accept a prize":
Composers have always immaterial rights to their own work, no matter if they've won prizes with it or not. That is an important issue (dispite how "hobby" the 
website is).

Dude!!  It is the right of the owner of the music to post it here..  If the owner post's his music here, he/she has read the rules and the regulations of the website, and is fully aware of the legalities.. you are mistaken in your arguments..  This website has NO LEGAL OBLIGATIONS to pay royalties REGARDLESS of any recording contract or royalty society the owner joins.. The owner has an obligation to the royalty society or Recording company NOT to post music that would be under the label/society's control. THEREFORE, if you post music here.. and submit it in the battle, it is up to you to make sure you notify any producers or royalty societies, if you so join one, of the music you have here... I am sure Mud would be willing to assist you in removing them if the company wished to put it on an album.. but most producers would let it fly as a freebie on here as this isn't even a crumb from the music industry pie. ( no offense Mud but you know what I mean)
                    JimK
#47March 26th, 2006 · 02:39 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
Also,

As this site is non-profit, no royalties are due to anyone.... Cover songs posted here are just as if you play them at a gig live... no payment required.... these are the laws as they apply to copywritten material....

so, cover tunes, are ok... and if you make it big, and your songs are on here.. no royalties are due you, as noone makes money from these songs on here....

Thank you
                    Jim (getting down off soapbox) K
#48March 30th, 2006 · 03:46 AM
NEXT!
I think it might be cool to have a "next" button when you are browsing through the songs to vote on them. That way you wouldn't have to go back to the browse or forum to click on the next song in order to vote on it. Maybe there is already a way to do this and I am just retarded, but if not...I think a next button would be cool.
#49April 4th, 2006 · 10:33 AM
8 posts
Sweden
Full rights for the artist
Okay. As you all agree (and I don't have any clue why wouldn't you), the ARTIST needs to have FULL RIGHTS to deside when to take of her/his music from this website. No-one else has rights to deside that. That's the issue. So, for how many months do we need to wait this simple act?
#50April 5th, 2006 · 12:37 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
Like it was said before, Mud can and will remove it, if you really want it removed..... THe reason it is locked, is so it stays in the HALL OF FAME... to remove the lock would be to lose the HALL OF FAME... and that is kind of a nice feature, and alot of other features are dependent on the hall of fame.. so more stuff will get lost... so it is keep hall of fame, or delete at will...

I again think you are missing the point of this site... this site is not to make money for you... this site is to learn and grow as a musician... to get other musicians like yourself hearing your stuff, and giving you ideas you may not have thought of.. some of the people on here are VERY talented....and some are VERY proficient in the art of mixing and software enhancement... I personally, have seen myself, an improvement in my playing skill, quality of recording, and overall creativity that is 5-6 times what it was before arriving here on Bandamp, I attribut some of it to my own personal efforts, but much of it goes to to the people here on Bandamp, being gracious enough to actually be critical, and tell me the truth, hard to swallow sometimes, but I really appreciate it... If you want royalty checks for your work, then sorry, this is not the place for you, go to CD BABY..If you want to put your stuff on here, and enjoy the benefits of many other people helping you grow, then welcome.... We would love to have you....  BTW, I am sorry if it is sounding like I run this thing, Forgive me MUD, I just realized, I am coming across as an authority here.... I am strictly expressing what is so plainly stated in the terms and conditions of the website.... 

Jim (again, getting off my soapbox) K
#51April 5th, 2006 · 12:40 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
re: NEXT!
LowProductivity wrote…
I think it might be cool to have a "next" button when you are browsing through the songs to vote on them. That way you wouldn't have to go back to the browse or forum to click on the next song in order to vote on it. Maybe there is already a way to do this and I am just retarded, but if not...I think a next button would be cool.

I Agree, a next song button would be cool.... but the songs are added to so often, it may be hard to implement...  I mean, you click next, but if PuppetXeno just uploadeda song, while you were listening to one, perhaps it changes the number order, and you get the same song again, or you may also just miss a bunch of songs...

Jim "slowhand" K
#52April 5th, 2006 · 03:31 PM
I must defend my 'next' button!
Yeah, there is the chance that a song might be accidentally skipped because it was uploaded at the same time you clicked the "next" button, but it would still show up in your "my home" as un-listened to or un-voted on. I just think it would facilitate listening and giving feedback because you could get in the zone without having to go back and forth between pages. Anyway, I am not terribly inconvenienced that there is not one right now...it's just another one of those typical "I want easy things to be easier" ideas.

Also, I agree with you on the rights issue...or rather non-issue. The site and artists guidelines are stated clearly in the terms and conditions. It is not as if band amp is capitalizing off of the musicians.
#53May 28th, 2006 · 08:40 AM
17 threads / 16 songs
81 posts
Philippines
Yeah , i vote for Lyrics Tech lessons , would it be also possible to classify the composition in different style...Not everyone likes every styles , i'll will never make any review on styles i dont like , because i dont understand , so i am not in a position to judge.This is why i am interested to see the songs classified by styles , (country , pop , folk , etc...)
francois
#54May 28th, 2006 · 11:46 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
re: I must defend my 'next' button!
LowProductivity wrote…
Yeah, there is the chance that a song might be accidentally skipped because it was uploaded at the same time you clicked the "next" button, but it would still show up in your "my home" as un-listened to or un-voted on. I just think it would facilitate listening and giving feedback because you could get in the zone without having to go back and forth between pages. Anyway, I am not terribly inconvenienced that there is not one right now...it's just another one of those typical "I want easy things to be easier" ideas.

Also, I agree with you on the rights issue...or rather non-issue. The site and artists guidelines are stated clearly in the terms and conditions. It is not as if band amp is capitalizing off of the musicians.

I agree, that sounds like a good idea.

Also, @Nemo6, such a thing is in the making... AFAIK it will be implemented some time, however when exactly is as yet uncertain. So don't hold your breath
#55May 28th, 2006 · 08:44 PM
66 threads / 55 songs
697 posts
United States of America
I was wondering... would it be possible to increase the new mp3/post lists on the home page to say... 10 maybe? instead of 5?

reasons being... for those certain days when more than 5 songs are upoaded, some get missed.

And, of course, you can always just click "more" or whatever... but.. on the other hand, I figured it would be relatively to change, as the code only applies to the home page...
#56May 29th, 2006 · 01:56 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
takaminerbb13 wrote…
I was wondering... would it be possible to increase the new mp3/post lists on the home page to say... 10 maybe? instead of 5?

reasons being... for those certain days when more than 5 songs are upoaded, some get missed.

And, of course, you can always just click "more" or whatever... but.. on the other hand, I figured it would be relatively to change, as the code only applies to the home page...

well, there's a new version of BandAMP in developement, the list on there is slightly longer,  as are the "new posts" and "top members" lists. Don't hold your breath, the new version isn't finished yet, so it may take a while before it's actually here. But... I promise you'll love it!
#57May 29th, 2006 · 09:37 AM
66 threads / 55 songs
697 posts
United States of America
aahh good...

I'm feeling better already.
#58June 1st, 2006 · 04:20 PM
10 threads / 10 songs
101 posts
United States of America
tho it's some time ago...
I don't know why anyone would want to bother "illegally" downloading an inferior media for music (ie, Mp3s, when you could have a cd, or a record, better yet...).

When I went to engineering school, I was told by an entertainment lawyer that one thought was to copyright everything the second it was done, and the other said, don't bother, if someone wants to steal it, they easily could with a tiny change here and there, and most people who would want to are musicians and most wouldn't do that?

I'm trying to get my girlfriend to come up here, becusue she does a lot in music as a lawyer. She told me when a friend allowed GameBoy to use his image in a cartoon form for their game, and gave him a waiver to sign (so they wouldn't have to pay him anything else but the 450)--that that was b.s, because you can't sell your own image. If they made money off your voice/face, you get to go back within a certain period of time and make them pay up.

But--a video game trademark/copyright attorney is NOT the same as one who does commerial work, or one who does mostly music, or one who usually does big companies, as I understand it.

You could always go cheap, send yourself a CD copy/ music to yourself registered mail, and don't open it. The postmark is proof of the date of the music.

As I also understand it, the internet IS a form of proof that your song was in existence at such and such date, so I think it's a form of copyright in itself. I have this huge book on music business legalese called "All you need to know about the music business" don't recall author. I bet it's in there. It's a REAL dry read, tho.
#59June 1st, 2006 · 04:31 PM
10 threads / 10 songs
101 posts
United States of America
forgot why I came over here...
Maybe we ought to look at the idea of putting out CDs we could sell of the month's winners? We could use the resulting money to get new bands/artists up here, seeing as it took me some time to find you guys, and no one I spoke to ever heard of bandamp. I think it's a great site, myself.

Only one prob...I sometimes want to reply to someone, but then I forget all of what I wanted to say, and if I go back, I'll lose what I wrote. On some sites, the reply screen is a screen I can move and see the original response underneath.

Some of the photos are great, and I'd like to print up some of them, just because I have to hear the music that goes with some pics.

Aren't there some CD mastering/burning places that just do the amount you need? I know the mastering guy records onto a glass master, and then sends it out to be burned-which is a better copy than you make at home.

We'd have to arrange to collect wav.s of the songs in question, compile them, and give them continuity in terms of sound levels and such.
#60June 1st, 2006 · 04:48 PM
10 threads / 10 songs
101 posts
United States of America
live covers
From my lawyer girlfriend here in the states...if you performed Led Zeppelin and your gig made a total of 1,500, it would cost them WAY too much to bother with the likes of little cover-band whoever. It's not that you don't HAVE to pay, it's generally too much bother.

NOW, for example, THAT depends on who you're dealing with. One motorcycle co. sued someone for using the word "hog" in the context of PIGS!

But, let's say someone who's going to net several hundred thousand dollars per concert...you better believe the band will be forced to pay up. Since a lot of musicians already know each other, who would you try and cheat someone you know?

On the other hand, if you were Paul McCarney for example, you'd have 40 million a year JUST for songwriter's rights (remember, Mike Jackson bought a lot of the publishing rights; it's a 50% split) anyway, so what difference would it make?

Royalty sheets apparently seem to make more money on them than they actually are. If you get a record deal, and they give you 200 thousand to make a record; you now OWE them that money, if they don't get their 200 grand back. THAT's scary!!

Of course, if a label has "blocked out" a room (bought a studio for a period of time so that no one is allowed in until the time's up, a weekend, a month, whatever...), you can also note that the same room that costs me or you fifty an hour, will cost that label 200 dollars per hour.

That's of course, in our part of the world. If the laws are different in another country/state, I don't know what they do then...
1 2 3 4 5 6

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 18th, 2024 · 11:28 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.