1 2 3 4 5

#1May 1st, 2009 · 06:11 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
BETA
I probably shouldn't be posting this link yet, because I'm behind schedule for my coding this week... too many lan parties and movie nights ("Bride Wars" is not worth it, by the way).

This is the beta, so I want you to try to break it.  Yep.  I want you to make a conscious effort to do strange things to it.  I'm not afraid of having to make it better.

Suggest solutions, as well as problems.

Don't freak out about *anything*, be it my domain name or the lack of completeness of the beta:

(kings, your password is 'a'.  Very strong one.)

http://mangos.dontexist.net/

I freaking love my domain name.  This links directly to my own computer.  It should always be up, but sometimes it'll start freaking out when I don't love it enough   If there's a problem viewing it, try to just wait a few minutes.  If there's still a problem, email me or something: T.onightsLastSong@gmail.com

Please note the utter dearth of user profile/mail box/etc, etc.  All of that stuff is kind of just half-way done, so it's not on there.

Main stuff currently is thread viewing, reply postings, and general interaction with the threads.

There's no "make new thread" button yet, but that'll be trivial to add, so don't fret.
#2May 1st, 2009 · 06:16 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
oh, and feel free to make suggestions about the theme, as well.  i've been neglecting it very very much, so it's very very subject to change.

Our current bandamp theme will be usable, too, once things get wrapped up.  It's already partially there, but not enabled.
#3May 1st, 2009 · 06:59 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Well I already ran into two problems; I can't confirm my account, though I can post, but a Subject field is required for posting or else a nasty error occurs. Also I couldn't see profile pages etc. Seems every tab with no content gives a 404...
#4May 1st, 2009 · 11:40 AM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
It's beautiful! (but I must confess my naivete about any code-writing stuff)...it warned me that I must confirm my account within 1 day or else my account with be deactivated (or something like that)...when I tried to confirm I got (like PX) a 404 page with the words "You're seeing this error because you have DEBUG = True in your Django settings file. Change that to False, and Django will display a standard 404 page.". Now, where I grew up they didn't teach us anything about changing a Django setting file, so...Additionally I got a number of 404 pages elsewhere on the site (I did however, enjoy the first song upload...a collaboration that sounded a lot like a Breaking Benjamin tune....truly groovy!) Also, I may be not as smart as some of you computer people (shhhh!)...but I couldn't figure out how to post. Also, I was disappointed that I could not expand King's avatar (to get a better look at those cheerleaders).
#5May 1st, 2009 · 12:03 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
ok I went to the link but it wants me to login. do i have to create a new account for this website?
will it screw anything up with my account on this bandAMP site?
#6May 1st, 2009 · 12:04 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
TheKunadiun wrote…
ok I went to the link but it wants me to login. do i have to create a new account for this website?
will it screw anything up with my account on this bandAMP site?
#7May 1st, 2009 · 12:06 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Ok I just clicked music and I guess im in...
First off I cant really say I like the way the music page is...I like the big titles for the song name...

Its hard to navigate through the forums and the songs and figure out what is what...

the titles are too small i suppose, and theres all this weird stuff that I have no idea what it is and its all completely different.

in my personal opinion i think the nav bar is too small....
#8May 1st, 2009 · 12:08 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
i also dont really like the "regular old site" forum feel to it. i dont really know how to describe it...but it just feels like a "forum" and not a community. like if you go to the posts here it doesnt have the same layout as regular old forums that you find on other sites...you know?
#9May 1st, 2009 · 12:09 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
TheKunadiun wrote…
in my personal opinion i think the nav bar is too small....

I can completely respect that-- the skin is pretty flexible, so i'm completely okay with changing stuffs.  In general, we can up the size of major parts, so that they draw more attention.
#10May 1st, 2009 · 12:12 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
TheKunadiun wrote…
i also dont really like the "regular old site" forum feel to it.

I think I know what you mean-- not sure right away what to blame.  I could just be the skin.

There are a couple of features not showing up right this second (will fix in a few moments) because of the lack of forums.  I need to enable the Lyrics and Videos forum so that you can see the jumplinks..
#11May 1st, 2009 · 12:15 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Don't worry about those 404 errors everywhere.  Some of them are simply there because I haven't put in all of the forums yet.

PuppetXeno wrote…
though I can post, but a Subject field is required for posting or else a nasty error occurs

I think I need a few opinions one something: subject fields on our current amp are practically useless, unless you're posting a new thread.  I hope to make the subject line a little bit more useful on the new site, but already I can see that it's easy to pass up (if only because we're just not used to having to put it in).  I can pretty easily make the subject an optional field, or take it away altogether when making simple replies.

The temp accounts is kind of a feature in progress.  I will prevent the accounts from expiring, so no worries.  Eventually "activating" the account will simply mean that you give it a valid email address and birth date on your profile page.

Everything is intended to be simple, so feel free to suggest stuff.

I see that somebody managed a post without an author   This is exactly what I need to ensure doesn't happen!  thanks.
#12May 1st, 2009 · 12:16 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
though, if the field does remain "required", the error would be much less fatal, I promise
#13May 1st, 2009 · 12:25 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
i like the inclusion of the Tabs and Videos links...itll be really cool to upload videos of yourself, directly to the site.

still the layout and format has left me with an un-easy feeling...but im sure youll be able to take care of it with your genious mind. you rock
#14May 1st, 2009 · 12:25 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
is a subject field really necessary in a response?
usually the default subject line is titled: Re:[original subject], I'm fine with that. I'm also perfectly fine with taking away subject fields from a response.

Anyway, what I like about BandAMPs current layout is that all it's centered in the screen, it's not taking up the entire width of the screen and that makes it quite restful to the eyes, also makes reading the forums easier, much more like pages in a book than, well.. a regular forum. Will this "narrowed" layout also be available in the new Bandamp?
#15May 1st, 2009 · 12:26 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
EXACTLY!!! PX hit it right on the head. bandamps current layout is centered on the screen and not this huge spread out thing with little words, that might be part of the reason that this doesnt look like the "regular old site" forums.
1 2 3 4 5

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 2:27 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.