1 2
#16January 3rd, 2007 · 07:26 PM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
closed minded? surely not
As I said earlier I have no problem at all with writing all of my comments in English even if sometime my grammar might not be perfect those comments I was referring to were not even directed at me
The last think I would want is make a big deal out of it(others seem to do a great job at it)
It's a music site as you said and that's what I will focus on in the future
#17January 3rd, 2007 · 08:43 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
All Hell? 

Well! Hell aint a bad place to be!!!    

All I did was ask for a translation, the only thing I believe I did 'wrong' was to not take into consideration that TLS has been at bandAmp since what seams like the beginnings of the place, and I should have put my post differently to him.
As to : 'The last think I would want is make a big deal out of it(others seem to do a great job at it)',
Well! says enough!

M.vincentL wrote…
It's a music site as you said and that's what I will focus on in the future
Da Iawn yr hen hogun! W ti'n dechra dallt! 
#18January 4th, 2007 · 11:59 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
ack.  i just thought i`d throw my 2 cents in here--

I do agree that king's comment about my original post was a bit... uh..  snappy, perhaps-- but i think it all resolved fairly nicely.

i don`t mean to challenge authority here, but JimkDaAdtman said something that i`m not sure if i agree whole heartedly on:

JimkDaAdtman wrote…
don't make too big a deal of this ... By doing so, you are actually proving yourself to be as closed minded than the people you are speaking against...

eh.. that`s not the way I see it. it`s good to have a discussion about this, because i think that there IS some confusion that goes on behind the scenes.  i`ve seen posts in the Pit concerning the issue (it was a while ago, mind you) but it never became resolved.  I think that the underlying issue is as PuppetXeno said:

We REALLY DON'T WANT whole threads to be in languages

Ultimately.. my goal in posting here is to say that I think that VincentL handled this pretty well, and hasn`t shown himself to be closeminded, but rather the opposite.  He didn`t post this until yesterday, when the date of my french post was December 19th of 06.  it`s been the comments of other users that have stirred this up a bit.

i think that the "closeminded" factor comes in when these "other users" don`t use much tact when speaking to those who don`t speak as much english.

dang.. i wish i had taken entheon up on his message to me to become a mod   stupid canada   my trip got in my way!

btw, kings-- i didn`t come in at the beginnings of BandAMP, but i`m by far the most active user of my generation and those previous to me, with the exception of maybe spoon and BasketCase (who, neither of which have as many posts as me, but who still login from time to time).  All else have fallen away 
#19January 4th, 2007 · 01:16 PM
46 threads / 33 songs
179 posts
United States of America
HMPH
Personally English is not my native tongue. So yes I wud be more vocal and eloquent in Hindi or some other Indian language. What I am incapable of understanding is why do we need a public post in any native laguage. As stated in a previous post u can use private message. If one does need to post publically why not post it in a language that is understood by the large section of the public. One of the post referred to "why dont you learn another language" or something to that effect. Now I have seen that phrase being used a lot. Most of the people do know other languages. They cant know all. Most of us have trouble coming up with time to learn music let alone another language. Personally this is something I do for relaxation and well as a hobby. I dnt think it wud inspire me to read a thread if I hve to go out of my way to translate the post. But this is one man's view. One of the posts reffered it to as a racial issue??? Seriously??? Now maybe common sense (or being tactful )is not my forte but pray explain how is this a racial issue. Why is it an issue at all? I mean I am brown asian sitting in India I wud rather have u posting in English or put up a translation.  But thts me.
#20January 4th, 2007 · 01:30 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
LOL, well said, Songwriter!

So I hope everything has been said concerning this language thing. It's just simple. If we are going global-democratic we should switch to Mandarin, if we go find the best compromise we should all switch to Esperanto... Dammit, we all know that ain't gonna happen!

English it is - and think about the history of the british island - it's really a blend of germanic, celtic and latin tongues. I will further you to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language particulary to "English is the most widely taught and understood language in the world, and sometimes is described as a lingua franca" and "Mandarin Chinese, Hindi and Spanish have more native speakers than English does; however, the geographic distribution of Mandarin and Hindi, as both first and second languages, is more limited than that of English."

SO...

The End, yes? Thank You!
#21January 4th, 2007 · 10:04 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
TonightsLastSong wrote…
i don`t mean to challenge authority here, but JimkDaAdtman said something that i`m not sure if i agree whole heartedly on:

JimkDaAdtman wrote…
don't make too big a deal of this ... By doing so, you are actually proving yourself to be as closed minded than the people you are speaking against...

eh.. that`s not the way I see it. it`s good to have a discussion about this, because i think that there IS some confusion that goes on behind the scenes.  i`ve seen posts in the Pit concerning the issue (it was a while ago, mind you) but it never became resolved.  I think that the underlying issue is as PuppetXeno said:

We REALLY DON'T WANT whole threads to be in languages

Ok..   I wasn't actually calling HIM closed minded.. I guess I worded it badly..  What I meant was that by making a HUGE to-do out of the fact that someone used another language, or making a huge to-do over the fact that the site rule states english only please, shows that you are closed minded..
Take a look here: http://forum.bandamp.com/The_Pit/5947.html
 as I stated earlier in http://forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/1193.html Someone has to Use Babelfish..  just the way it is...  I don't mind... except, that as Entheon pointed out, it's hard to moderate if I don't understand the post..  and yeah, ok, I get the basic idea of the post, except maybe the part where Kings calls PX a filthy whoremonger, simply because Babelfish doesn't translate slang terms...  so... yeah.. please post in English..  BTW..  I know Kings would never call PX a filthy whoremonger, although he would probably see it as a compliment... 

tonnightslastsong wrote…
i think that the "closeminded" factor comes in when these "other users" don`t use much tact when speaking to those who don`t speak as much english.

dang.. i wish i had taken entheon up on his message to me to become a mod   stupid canada   my trip got in my way!

btw, kings-- i didn`t come in at the beginnings of BandAMP, but i`m by far the most active user of my generation and those previous to me, with the exception of maybe spoon and BasketCase (who, neither of which have as many posts as me, but who still login from time to time).  All else have fallen away  :dead:

Right... It also goes both ways...  Sometimes, some of the non english speaking country visitors have been quite rude, and tactless... but it all boils down to what I said in november of '05
me wrote…
Truthfully, though, it is a tough thing to call, If you allow posts in many languages, only the people speaking the language understand it, unless you use babelfish to translate it... but if you allow only posts in english, only english speaking people understand it... unless you use babelfish... so basically someone has to use babelfish.... and since the board was created by entheon, he rules the roost, and it is his call, I mean, he puts alot of work and time into this so that we can put our music here... so I think we should respect his wishes.. and I am not just saying this because I am american... I can use babelfish as good as anyone!!!    [:razz:]

Jim  
*edit* I now know that entheon did not create it, but Mud did.. that was my bad..

BTW, You joined a whole 8 days before I did TLS... man your old.. hahahahaha
#22January 5th, 2007 · 04:44 AM
77 threads / 31 songs
353 posts
Norway
Ja, engelsk er et fint språk, men akkurat nå føler jeg for å snakke norsk.    Hva med de som ikke kan engelsk?

Ok... Not funny, I know... 
I learn a lot of new english words when I'm here, but what if there is someone in this world that can't speak a word english?? 
I know... They won't be here, if they can't read english...
1 2
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 3:00 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.