1 2

#1December 14th, 2005 · 09:44 AM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
Languages
In The Pit there is a thread in which Micosis and Iszil are posting only in spanish, which is against Entheon's only english rule.
#2December 15th, 2005 · 11:53 PM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
Aight, gave them a warning.
#3December 17th, 2005 · 01:44 AM
14 threads / 10 songs
68 posts
Mexico
ŋPor qué?
You may delete the thread if you want to.
#4December 27th, 2005 · 01:25 PM
2 threads / 2 songs
17 posts
Norway
?
i've posted in spanish, but i guess it's not a problem since the feedback was for Iszil, and not for everyone else...

besides when it comes to music; i'm much better expressing myself in spanish...

i hope it's not a problem
#5December 27th, 2005 · 06:22 PM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
it's only sort of a problem - some people speak spanish, others don't... the point is we are an english speaking site, based in the USA and english is understood pretty much all over the world... and heck, if you want to be able to use a large portion of the internet you'll have to speak it anyway. I understand that you might be better at expressing yourself in spanish, but what we ask is that maybe you spend just a little extra time with a spanish english dictionary so that you *can* accurately translate what you want to say. Comments on people's songs are never just for that person, they are for the entire community to see and read. Reading other people's comments on a song is just as important as anything else because sometimes someone might point out something that you wouldn't have thought of and that might help you learn something that you wouldn't have learned otherwise. So that's why the rule is: speak english. It's not because your language is worse than ours and it's not because english is somehow superior to everything, it is simply so that we can understand you and simply because this is a site made by people in the USA. If we made this site and we lived in Spain or Mexico the name of the site wouldn't be BandAMP in the first place. Also, if you have a comment that you only want Iszil to see, then that's what the PM system is for (the Private Messages) so if you don't want other folks to see it, use that, or if you want to speak spanish, use that.

So to clarify the rule: Public messages in english only, private messages in whatever language you like.
#6December 28th, 2005 · 10:24 PM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
wouldnt it be a good idea to put that on the rules page? jsut asuggestion...
#7August 2nd, 2006 · 02:31 AM
1 threads
18 posts
United States of America
entheon was out of line. I've scolded mud... After a few hours of lecture, he folded.
#8August 2nd, 2006 · 04:30 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Downchuck wrote…
entheon was out of line. I've scolded mud... After a few hours of lecture, he folded.

?? I don't understand these comments. Could you post them in understandable english, please?
#9August 16th, 2006 · 03:12 PM
1 threads
42 posts
Mexico
you got a point
I have to tell you something, you donīt post that rules, every of us (Latin Americans), donīt know what you want, if you really interested for what we are talking about you need take some more time to take a dictionary and try to find everything we talking, this is not a free world or what?, why us canīt talk in our language, we trying to post in your language when we talk to someone else of USA or another part of the world, but we are Latinos and we can talk in our language with some body else Latin person, this is kinda racism matter maybe you could expel us, or take some more minutes to be interest for understand and learn another language like us....

with all respect ASHARY
#10August 16th, 2006 · 03:19 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
ASHARY... I cant talk latino or whatever you call it.... I am German and I dont talk in german here. So english is the world's language and comments or posts outside this language are very annoying. sorry.. but even me would like to talk in german but I respect the rules.
#11August 16th, 2006 · 03:28 PM
1 threads
42 posts
Mexico
TK

I donīt trying to fight with anyone, I respect you all, but maybe you can find some german friend and you donīt feel free to talk with him in your languaje?, nobody put that rule, or I canīt see it ,if somebody tellme where is, ok I can follow rules, but you donīt be mad, you got some reason, we can take few more minutes to translate all in english, maybe I can take a german dictionary and translate what are you talking about too...

see you my friend
#12August 16th, 2006 · 05:54 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Well, let's just say for the sake of everybody understanding eachother - ridding ourselves from any possible Babel Tower issues: keep forum posts in english. You know if you want to add commentary in your native tongue then sure, that's okay, but atleast provide a translation. If the spanish speaking members will only comment in spanish to eachother then a lot of english speaking members will refrain from commenting to that thread because they don't know what's being discussed. It will drive us into different camps... Like the world needs more different camps already... gimme a break. I love Babel Fish (among other online translators) but spanish to english often turns into an incomprehensible mess, especially when typical internet abbrevations are being used. So please make comments understandable to everybody, life itself is tough enough already.

Anyway I don't want to turn this into an issue (again) so let's just all be cool about this ok?

So go kiss n make up n be happy fcol
#13January 3rd, 2007 · 07:22 AM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
I think it's a strange issue
I do understand that English is a sort of universal language on the net even if it's not the most spoken language in the world but what's the problem if some threads are written in a different one as it was said earlier this is originally a north American web site but the net isn't and if you don't understand a thread is it such a big deal most members use English all the time anyway
I fear that some comments made on this subject underline some more sinister thought
I've experienced it when an American reviewer made a comment in french about one of my song and suddenly all hell broke loose
If it's not allowed to post songs in any other language than English you should say it in the title!
Even if I'm french I live in the UK and I've written all of my comments in English so far but I might want to write one in french someday if it's to a french speaking member I now feel that to get accepted I should be careful and feel very wary about using my own language
I write songs in both languages but I'm now wondering if I can post the one in french
I feel that it's all very restrictive
A bon entendeur salut
sorry can't find any decent translation for that last sentence
#14January 3rd, 2007 · 09:19 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
vincentL wrote…
Even if I'm french I live in the UK and I've written all of my comments in English so far but I might want to write one in french someday if it's to a french speaking member I now feel that to get accepted I should be careful and feel very wary about using my own language
I write songs in both languages but I'm now wondering if I can post the one in french
I feel that it's all very restrictive
A bon entendeur salut

Ok, to make it a little clearer:

You can post songs in ANY language that you want, but the description and the resulting discussion should be in english.

You say: "but I might want to write one in french someday if it's to a french speaking member I now feel that to get accepted I should be careful and feel very wary about using my own language"

There is NO PROBLEM is commenting to a french speaking member in french, but PLEASE DO provide atleast a brief translation.

If you feel you are unable to do this, please discuss the song with the other member in private. We REALLY DON'T WANT whole threads to be in languages other than english because we all want to be able to understand eachother. The strength of this site is participation, we want to exchange thoughts and ideas and inspiration and how can we if we do not all speak the same language? Also, if we would go multi linguistic here, to us moderators it's going to be very hard to judge whether there is anything abusive going on...

I hope that clears things up for you...

PX (mod)
#15January 3rd, 2007 · 06:45 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
vincentL wrote…
I fear that some comments made on this subject underline some more sinister thought
Sinister?  I dont see anything sinister about the comments..  although some are a bit more closed minded than others..  nothing sinister going on...
vincentL wrote…
If it's not allowed to post songs in any other language than English you should say it in the title!
umm..  It does say so in the rules that you agreed you read, and agreed to abide by..
vincentL wrote…
A bon entendeur salut

I think(If I remember correctly) To those who understand, draw your own conclussion from these words..

Anyway, again, the basic deal is, this is a site by musicians for musicians, and meant to be a community, a brotherhood..  it's hard to be brothers(OR SISTERS) if we can't understand each other...  SO, the rule is posts are to be in English..  And yes, as you so put, English is not the most widely spoken language in the world.. Mandarin is... But English is Second.. and English is the most widely spoken on the net.. And besides, it's the rules..   I didn't make them... I can't change them... and I don't want to change them...  they are fine the way they are... but please.. don't make too big a deal of this...  By doing so, you are actually proving yourself to be as closed minded than the people you are speaking against...
                    JimK (mod)
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 9:48 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.