1 2

#1February 25th, 2008 · 10:55 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
From the session recordings Ive done I can tell you the verb is obtain in many cases by the natural sound of the room.So the compression really and eq are the only things that i know aside from mike placement...Although in many of the sessions Ive encountered producers that use tube pre amps to warm up the sound and DI to condition power integrity..The other thing is the type of recording.If its digital they run the audio settings at a higher speed to be closer to analogue sounding recordings..Thats all I've experienced!
#2February 27th, 2008 · 12:12 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
It really depends: I record in my bedroom that is acoustically just miserable.  Any studios I've been in however, are acoustically treated and have natural warmth and reverb.  Better yet, I've recorded in acoustically perfect recital halls with beautiful cedar ceilings and wood paneling on the walls blah blah where the sound was so great.  In my bedroom though, no reverb means all my instruments and vocals sound flat and boring.

Setup, baby, setup.
#3February 27th, 2008 · 09:38 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
It all depends on the type of music and who it is. There are a lot of pro recordings out there that have reverbs and delays added.  The thing about it is,..   cheaper reverb units tend to over color the sounds and  have non natural sounding rooms.

Remember less is more. I usually try to add reverb till I hear it, then I back it down a notch, plus, I send it to it's own fx bus so I can eq' and adjust the mix with automation faders so I can pull the reverb out at the end of ....let's say a vocal passage with a big room (I don't want the reverb ring to run on) I will kill the fader (automation) very quickly, or auto the mute.  The other thing about sending the signal to the bus, set up just for reverb, or other effects, is that I can control the mix of the dry signal and the wet signal with more finesse.

Delays are also used in a lot of recordings.  Knowing how to use delay  can be a very helpful tool.  You can play with different settings but one of my favorite things to do (cause it seems to mix well this way) is to take the BPM(lets try 120beats per minute) divide that into 60,000 and you get 500ms  which will be in direct time with the whole notes. divide that by lets say 3, you get 166.666... or 167ms and you get a delay that is in triplets,  you can mutliply that by two  and get 333 ms which will give you even another cool delay feel that is still in relation to your BPM .

this 60,000 number is  the amount of milliseconds in one second (1000) x the number of seconds in one minute (60) or 60,000 

you should experiment with this and try dividing or multiplying bpm by different numbers  ..60000 divided by 120 =500  divide by 2 = 250  gives another very simple and in time delay.

Hope some of this helps.  remember though that effects are just that , reverbs are usually used to make up for close mic'n to give the recording a more natural acoustic sound so rule of thumb less is more and barely noticeable is just about right.

Greg
#4February 28th, 2008 · 04:43 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
As Greg said, a book I read from a famous producer summed up that in general when you add reverb, raise the setting from xero until at the point you hear it kick in, then fine tune.

The acoustics where you play have an important factor. a lot of studios have  dead sound, so they can create the reverb aspect from scratch.

The EQ in reverb is also an important factor, It takes a trained enginneer to get these levels sounding right.
Best to use preset settings if you have them, thats what I use, it works for me

When they record in a concert hall, they set up mics at the rear to capture the natural ambience, there is no need for reverb in these situations.

General rule is to make it sound natural, but nice to the ear.
#5February 28th, 2008 · 06:20 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
justintyhme wrote…
Thanks for the advise and giving me some new ways to think.  I have always gotten good advise off this site.  Greg you have helped me a couple of times with advise that was perfect for me.

When I get a chance I'll post some of our new stuff.  We are so much better and this site has really helped us.

Thanks again,

Tom

It was really making me go crazy: adviCe.
#6February 29th, 2008 · 06:06 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
c'mon avi ..  let's please not have any grammar police on this site, There are lots of people on here that won't have the best spelling (cause English is not their first language., or, like me I am terrible with things like commas and stuff.  I used to be pretty good back when I was in school (in the last Millennium). I've forgotten most of the stuff I knew.
#7March 1st, 2008 · 07:14 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Actually, I was technically being the vocabulary police...but pedantry aside, I'm going to speak my mind.  I wasn't calling him an idiot, I was just making an observation.
#8March 2nd, 2008 · 11:13 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Grammer covers the vocabulary
Grammar is a field of linguistics that involves all the various things that make up the rules of language. Subfields of linguistics that are considered a part of grammar include syntax, phonetics, morphology, and semantics. Grammar is also used as a term to refer to the prescriptive rules of a given language, which may change over time or be open to debate.

Grammar may be separated into two common broad categories: descriptive and prescriptive. Both views of grammar are in wide use, although in general, linguists tend towards a descriptive approach to grammar, while people teaching a specific language – such as English – might tend towards a more prescriptive approach. Usually, there is a bit of give and take in any approach, with a prescriptivist being at least somewhat descriptive, and a descriptivist having some prescriptivist tendencies.

A descriptive grammar tries to look at the grammar of any spoken language or dialect as it actually exists, judging whether a sentence is grammatical or not based on the rules of the speech group in which it is spoken, rather than an arbitrary set of rules. For example, in many speech communities, a sentence such as, “He done got thrown off the horse,” would be entirely grammatical, and an entire set of rules of grammar can be deduced that explain why that formation is grammatical. In another speech community, however, this sentence might be considered ungrammatical, while a version such as, “Him isa throwned offa horse,” would be the grammatical version. In yet another speech community, both would be considered ungrammatical, with only a version such as, “He was thrown off of the horse,” being considered acceptable.

A prescriptive grammar looks at the norms of speech as given by authoritative sources, such as an upper-class or academic subculture, and creates strict rules by which all speech within that language must abide to be considered grammatical. Few linguists take a prescriptive approach to grammar in the modern age, preferring to describe language as it exists in a given speech community. Many teachers, grammar mavens, and pedagogues in general still have a prescriptive approach towards grammar, however, holding to standardized rules as being the only proper way to speak.

Prescriptive grammar is also used to some extent in teaching a language to non-native speakers. When teaching English, for example, it can be useful to employ a “standard” form of English as a baseline to teach from, to help reduce confusion among students. Once the language has been acquired, of course, a less-prescriptive approach will necessarily take over, as the non-native speaker learns regional rules and new dialects that may not conform to the prescriptive grammar he or she originally learned.

Are we really having this?  Do you want to be the guy that calls people out for a misspelled word?
#9March 2nd, 2008 · 03:04 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
ok
Allow me, The son of a Librarian and schoolteacher to chime in a moment if I may...  While yes, Avi is correct, the proper word is Advice, with a C, and he was in fact correcting the spelling, the word advise wasn't actually a misspelling, as much as a mis use of the word. Advise is a verb, advice is a noun. So, when You ask us to ADVISE you on something, we then give you the ADVICE. So, yes. In essence, TOasted Goat is correct. And also Avi is correct. You see, as Toasted Goat mentioned above, it is all in regional diialects and such as to what is acceptable or not. So, yeah, I think this guy was actually trying to say ADVICE though, not ADVISE... And it was buggin me a bit too.... Like I said, having a mom who was a school teacher/librarian means I got corrected on EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME, so I get annoyed when someone has the incorrect verb or adverb, or uses the incorrect spelling. Akk...  Anyway, I hope we can move on past this now... 

JimK
#10March 2nd, 2008 · 05:55 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
I don't know why it is upsetting you so much Greg.  I don't think I was being rude or disrespectful, despite your posts, and hey, I already am the guy that corrects typos (corrected, rather).  If sometime you spot a mistake in any one of my posts, then please, call me out on it respectfully.  If you don't like to do that, then at least let me speak my mind.

Oh an Justin, I hope you aren't offended by this.  I wasn't trying to insult you, just pointed out a mistake.  We all make them, and I am by no means perfect either.
#11March 3rd, 2008 · 12:38 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
avi I am not upset with you at all.   It really makes no difference to me at all.  I just type really fast sometimes and get in a hurry, and sometimes I just don't give shit if I spell something right or not. If someone wants to come down on me for that instead of what I am here for, which is music then I feel like maybe they should be on the language website if that is what they are so concerned with.. my I really don't care one way or the other.

I just stated this because I am on a few other sites and they get so far off of what the site is even about because they spend more time pointing out the little typo mistakes and stupid shit like that.... I feel like if the person got their point across then so be it  who the fuck am I to tell em how to type or write their post. 

Sorry if you took offense. Really it doesn't bother me and if that is what you want to do then so be it.

Just don't correct my spelling fuck ups cause I don't care..

.EDIT] I apologize here.. this sounds much harsher than I intended ..must of been in a crappy mood when i wrote it.
#12March 3rd, 2008 · 02:18 PM
12 threads / 8 songs
70 posts
South Africa
Good grief. If I new it would get so much attenshun I would have mispelt in all my posts!! 

I'm not interested in prolonging the discussion but you do all realise that the spelling error is probably the least important grammatical error in this thread (conversational tenor, sentence structure, caps, repeated misuse of ellipses) but hey we're on an internet forum - its supposed to be like this!!

Only reason for my post is just to mention that if you anyone is looking to exercise their knowledge please feel free to review my songs. Not sure if there is much to say about them but it's got to be more interesting than this! 

BTW the original thread was interesting before it was sidetracked. As I am very inexperienced as a vocalist and at recording I do tend to spread the effects on my vocals (recording in a small carpeted room) but still tend to lose them in the mix. Combination of singing skill, recording technique and poor mastering.
#13March 3rd, 2008 · 04:22 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
avinashv wrote…
Oh an Justin, I hope ...

Oh hey, Avi.  you typo'd "and" as "an".  Notice that it's not technically a misspelling, just a grammar error.  And it's probably due to geographical differences.  You know.  Up north that happens sometimes.

i'm sorry, guys.. it's just funny to me somehow... I go on 1 weeks leaves at random, and I come back to this :P

I love you guys.  I never want to leave, even if it hurts me sometimes. 
#14March 15th, 2008 · 12:47 AM
14 threads / 14 songs
232 posts
United States of America
what the heck. Stop spamming...

I use echo effects to help with my shitty vox.
#15March 17th, 2008 · 08:49 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
fair enough  

I used to put on some heavy effects, particularly on an early version of Daeljan's The Blue Room that I did vocals for.  haha... my goodness, they were terrible.  In the end, we never uploaded the mix (it was rough anyway) and then I left for Canada for those 2 years, and I didn't end up doing much with music for that time.  (as follow up to that little short story, Daeljin later posted a collab between himself and JBP, still titled The Blue Room, found here.)

Echo effects aren't so bad.. i tend to keep a safe distance from them, so that I never end up like a crowd of chatter boxes in concert hall ( ).  it's just not my style...

Certainly there are people who use effects too frequently and heavily, but I can't say that (going back to the original post on this thread) that it means that we're all better for not using such effects.  They have their place.  What Avi said is probably the most prominent factor in my own use of effects, in that I don't have a professionally built studio that has great acoustics!
1 2

Server Time: May 4th, 2024 · 6:33 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.