1 2
#16April 9th, 2008 · 12:19 PM
14 threads / 12 songs
177 posts
United States of America
effects..
Just thought I'd put in my .02

Can 'em folks. Effects are pretty much a thing of the past, unless purple microdot makes a comeback. My faults years ago were chorus and delay. I used 'em on everything. These days, I personally like the dry sound for vocals. It seemed everyone started that awhile back. The one that got me going on that was believe it or not, Elton on his "Songs From The West Coast" project. Now I know quite a few of you here may not be fans, but if you don't know the song, check it out. It's engineering beauty. I heard "I Want Love" and the production sent me hibernating into the studio for a month. Reverb and delay are just getting so tired. Isn't it funny how the coolest thing could turn out to be "nothing?" Not to say that effects aren't a good thing, but if you DO choose to use them, use them SPARINGLY. Just personal preference. Lately, my favorite vocal effects are compression and EQ. I believe that when effects were created, it was just a quick and easy way to smooth over a bad performance. Reverb was invented by Jim Morrison. Not really...Back to my cave now.

Chauvette
#17May 3rd, 2008 · 05:56 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
almost every song I hear from old ones to new ones have some kind of effects or vocal work done to them.  I am not just talking about delay,reverb and chorus,  you also have double tracking, or as of recent, some pop singers are doing as many as 8 takes per phrase, then blending them down  to sound like one.... also copy and pasting with time offsets and different eq settings is widely done....

autotune seems to be used also for vocal fixes it is being used quite often now in newer recordings.. 

clipping with thin eq or  what is some time referred to as AM radio effect.  tons of newer artist use this one.

imho i feel it should be up to whoever is doing the recordings.   whatever you prefer, sometimes experimenting with different things can bring some cool music and sounds out of your recordings.
#18June 15th, 2008 · 02:41 AM
23 threads / 14 songs
515 posts
Japan
Am radio eq
mmm yes plead guilty to that one, 4 vocal Running 1  dry as a bone mixed .75% gain  with 1 duplicate track , high pass eq also dry but  with  delay through an  aux channel usually mono, with automation , pull it back then push when space needed.
Steering away from verbs apart from sax #flute.
Mastering with over all ambient light verb just to smooth & frost edges.
Limiter .
Whats compression????
good thread  
#19July 19th, 2008 · 09:43 PM
17 threads / 16 songs
99 posts
United States of America
mmm off topik heer guys.

Grate advice T.G. I'll try those tricks.

#20March 6th, 2009 · 01:55 PM
31 threads / 20 songs
96 posts
Canada
Reverb is 'pro' when used in moderation. Just like any fx, moderation is the fine line between amateur and professional.
#21March 12th, 2009 · 06:54 PM
4 threads / 3 songs
75 posts
United States of America
Reverb....You use the pan control to move the sound left to right.....You use reverb to move the sound front to back.
1 2

Server Time: April 24th, 2024 · 11:35 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.