1 2 3 4 5

#1September 15th, 2005 · 06:58 AM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
Awake and Dreaming

This song is not in a battle

So...Here is my acoustic injection of estrogen...I didn't mean this song to come out so girly, but it is an intimate song.
I hope I represent this site well, but I need a bit of advice bc I'm afraid I have no ear for mixing. I've compressed and eq'ed and I can't tell any diff.

For starters:
1  Does the main vocal keep an intimate feeling without sounding weak? Is there too much reverb?
I used a condenser mic so I could try to make the impression of having a private conversation.

2 Do the vox harmonies blend well, as if they are of 1 voice?

3. I strummed the guitar with my thumb bc I wanted that "feeling". Does the guitar sound okay? (Keep in mind, my playing ability is limited as I taught myself and have no idea what I'm doing. It boils down to me needing more practice.)

So, this is my first recording and I appreciate any constructive criticism so that I can improve;) I am sorry for the long post but I have many questions. Thanks.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2September 15th, 2005 · 08:23 AM
119 threads / 90 songs
258 posts
United Kingdom
Love your voice!
Can't really help with the technical stuff but overall I think the song is really nice!
Girly definatly works in this case 
#3September 15th, 2005 · 10:27 AM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
It's cool, a pleasant 'softly-softly' melody. Guitar is perhaps a bit repetitive but sounds fine, both in terms of playing and recording quality. The vocals are nice, and the harmonies are nice and subtle. It might help to pan them apart a little (and the guitar, too).

Anyway, in all it sounds good and I look forward to hearing more.
#4September 15th, 2005 · 11:00 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
gawd... it's absolutely beautiful in every aspect. so what it's very girly... at the end of the song, the harmonies thicken up, at that point they don't blend that well anymore, it slightly changes the ambience of the song, but this is not necessarily a bad thing at all. IMHO you did great on all 3 points. I love your sensitive guitar sound here    and you have a very nice voice.
#5September 15th, 2005 · 11:21 AM
7 threads
104 posts
United Kingdom
Liked it a lot. Mixing is an art just like playing (Mastering is a Black Art eh Dave?). You should be v pleased with the result 'cos it's nicely balanced (i.e. the vocal fits "in" with the guitar and the harmonies blend well). I wouldn't change it (less is more). Now to specifics....
1) Condenser mic suits you well. Didn't notice the reverb so wasn't too much. Sounds intimate which suited the song well.
2) Harmonies blended well and gave a very pro feel to the track.
3) Did u record the guitar with the same condenser mic ? ('cos they give that "intimate" sound there too - which you got). If you are Miss Loadsamics, you can experiment with 2 mics on the acoustic. The large condenser mic near the sould hole and an SM57 on a boom half way up the neck to catch the 'string wipes'. Then you can mix the two and pan for that stereo effect. Strumming with the thumb was a good choice. Try it with a pick & I bet it sounds too 'harsh'.
In summary.... now you have the separate tracks 'in the can', you can spend hours experimenting with the mix. Check out Entheon's postings on the gear Talk forum & also DaveUK's post on compression. If you've just spent 3 hours playing with different EQ settings and can't hear any difference, get some sleep and come back to it fresh. If it's still the same, maybe you have reached the limits of the gear you are using. But don't forget you got a top result straight off, so I wouldn't worry too much.
#6September 15th, 2005 · 09:09 PM
31 threads / 5 songs
178 posts
Spain
It's a beautifull song alright! Very nice harmonies. I agree with Dave that a touch of panning separation (moderate) would add some depth. The repetitiveness of the guitar - I didn't notice it untill it was mentioned as I was too busy listening to the voice - it blends well with the guitar. There are some silibant sounds (sssss) occaisionally, but I'd be afraid to use a de-esser (is that how you write it?) incase it spoiled the rest of the voice, unless you know what you are doing (I certainly don't but I have heard the effect of using it badly). Very nice and chilled out!
#7September 15th, 2005 · 09:16 PM
31 threads / 5 songs
178 posts
Spain
Oh, to address the points you made too:

(1) I'd say yes, it sounds intimate without sounding weak, no the amount of reverb is fine.
(2) They blend well but I'd experiment with just a  touch of panning
(3) The guitar sounds fine, the level is good. The only thing is that shortly after listening, I took the guitar for granted and stopped listening to it for paying more attention to the vocals. This could be a good thing for stressing attention on the vocals. If you want to keep the guitar in the picture too, maybe think about adding some variations in there somewhere.
#8September 15th, 2005 · 09:54 PM
8 threads / 8 songs
28 posts
United States of America
re: Awake and Dreaming
Awesome!  Sounds better than a ton of people that are supposed to be "professionals" that had years of practice.  Just think of what you can do once you get to the point of where you KNOW what you are doing.  FYI.. i dont know what I'm doing.. but i wish i did.. maybe i would be a good songwriter like yourself... maybe
#9September 16th, 2005 · 05:57 AM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
Thank you very much all!
Thank you for the helpful feedback.
Hopefully some of y'all will get a chance to read this reply. I did pan the vox harmonies, the high vocal is center-left and low voc is center-right. Maybe it wasn't enough...
And yeah I'm afraid the guitar is repetitive, I did some variation in strumming, but it def wasn't enough, esp when the vocals are all

"There are some silibant sounds (sssss) occaisionally together."
Yeah, I have to admit, some I did on purpose, others, I didn't.

"If you are Miss Loadsamics, you can experiment with 2 mics on the acoustic."
Ha, I plugged the guitar straight into my preamp-mixer combo. Thank you for the suggestion, I might try that, though I don't know what to do with one mic, much less two.

"a pleasant 'softly-softly' melody", "maybe i would be a good songwriter like yourself"
Thank you very much

#10September 16th, 2005 · 02:17 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Are you sure your wav/mp3 conversion settings are correct? I've just listened it through headphones with a mono switch, there's no difference with the switch on or off: THIS IS ALL MONO. So no panning effects whatsoever! It's still a beautiful song though, but really you should check the settings of the multitracker program you use or else your mp3 encoder.

I bet this song sounds even better in stereo  

you get these    a lot don't you? 
#11September 16th, 2005 · 03:28 PM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
Hey, thanks for replyng again. I'm not sure. I used Kristal and I'm still unfamiliar with it. I wasn't sure if the yellow mono/stereo toggle meant on or off. I'll check out their website. When I played it in my headphones it was in stereo. When I played it on my speakers it was (in) mono. I thought my speakers weren't equiped for stereo, but it does raise an interesting point. I'll check it out. Thanks.
#12September 16th, 2005 · 07:16 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
nice nice nice voice. and pretty pretty song: simple and beautiful.
#13October 7th, 2005 · 07:14 AM
4 threads / 3 songs
34 posts
United States of America
I am the wrong person to ask technical questions, but I will give my own two cents, anyway.  Your voice is beautiful, tender and you have a great ear.  The song needs a little more variation... I have a problem doing this also.  The vocal chords (where they get a little more complex) sound unsure.  Overall, though a very nice sound.  Lovely.
#14October 11th, 2005 · 01:56 PM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
Thanks everyone. I'm going to take in the panning and drumming suggestions and hopefully come out with a really enjoyable tune. Thanks again.
And everyone else be sure to vote, vote, vote bc I just added it to the Oct battle. Good luck to all.
#15October 14th, 2005 · 03:16 PM
37 threads / 25 songs
237 posts
United States of America
re: Awake and Dreaming
CreativeControl wrote…
So...Here is my acoustic injection of estrogen...I didn't mean this song to come out so girly, but it is an intimate song.
I hope I represent this site well, but I need a bit of advice bc I'm afraid I have no ear for mixing. I've compressed and eq'ed and I can't tell any diff.

For starters:
1  Does the main vocal keep an intimate feeling without sounding weak? Is there too much reverb?
I used a condenser mic so I could try to make the impression of having a private conversation.

2 Do the vox harmonies blend well, as if they are of 1 voice?

3. I strummed the guitar with my thumb bc I wanted that "feeling". Does the guitar sound okay? (Keep in mind, my playing ability is limited as I taught myself and have no idea what I'm doing. It boils down to me needing more practice.)

So, this is my first recording and I appreciate any constructive criticism so that I can improve;) I am sorry for the long post but I have many questions. Thanks.
..i like it sounds like a cloud....might want bring the low end up...nice harmonies
1 2 3 4 5

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 8:33 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.