160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
DONATIONS NOW BEING ACCEPTED

#2December 30th, 2007 · 06:44 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Hi Jim, I think this is the most positive way to improve the site, I have Made a Donation, I wont say how much,
as to not influence other members how much they should donate,  just contribute what ever you can afford.

I hope you get a positive response from this!!!

Have you set up a Blog for this?

You should perhaps explain how the donations will be spent.

Cheers

Denis
#3December 30th, 2007 · 01:44 PM
76 threads / 5 songs
529 posts
Cook Islands
Can we send money through mail?

and this is a good idea(along with the blog idea as said by denis)
#4December 30th, 2007 · 04:44 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
What are we donating for exactly?  Id like to know how these funds will be used.  Thats not to say that I dont trust the powers that be..  Id just like to know where to look to see my donations at work?
#5December 30th, 2007 · 05:54 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
hey
Ok, I was wanting to get something written up real nice and official looking...  I posted this last night to test the link and make sure it's working...  BUt I am so sick right now, It's hard to spend too much time on the computer, plus Linda cought whatever I have, so she is real sick too, and when she gets sick, it gets REAL bad..  Anyway, basically the idea is this:
 Any moneys doanted to the site, will be used toward paying small stipends to those willing to do programming for the site..  The amount will not be much, and will depend on how much we get in donations.. If we can get some coming in though, we could also use some of the money to help cover some expenses incurred by the get togethers..  Or if nothing else, at least buying a round of drinks on Bandamp..  That would be awesome...

I also want to get a group together who can work with me and all the members here, and perhaps resurrect the bandamp Cd idea, with a different idea in mind...  I want to do one that is ONLY international collaborations, that will show the true spirit of what Bandamp is, and I want to try to contact Starbucks, as well as a few other retailers and see if we can get distribution through their venues, with the proceeds going back to the site, If we start getting a decent cash flow, then we can start talking about getting more of a fulltime programming postiion started, and possibly even doing a gear giveaway contest, and prizes for battles once we devise a better rating and voting system...

JimK
#6December 30th, 2007 · 07:16 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
ummmm...if I'm going to be donating, I would rather see ALL the funds go directly into providing direct programming improvements to the site and/or functional maintenance to the site. I would prefer that functions like the Bandamp gatherings, prizes for battles, gear giveaways, etc. come from a totally separate fund and that separate donations be solicited for those kinds of things. Only a chosen few are going to be able to participate in physical get togethers, but the whole world will have access to the site. I feel we need to have a specific account set aside for maintenance and improvement of the site and we should be able to have access (if we donate) to a breakdown of how much money is available and how the money is being spent. This will provide greater incentive to donate and will also give us all a realistic view of what is possible in terms of site function.
#7December 30th, 2007 · 07:49 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
battlecat wrote…
ummmm...if I'm going to be donating, I would rather see ALL the funds go directly into providing direct programming improvements to the site and/or functional maintenance to the site. I would prefer that functions like the Bandamp gatherings, prizes for battles, gear giveaways, etc. come from a totally separate fund and that separate donations be solicited for those kinds of things. Only a chosen few are going to be able to participate in physical get togethers, but the whole world will have access to the site. I feel we need to have a specific account set aside for maintenance and improvement of the site and we should be able to have access (if we donate) to a breakdown of how much money is available and how the money is being spent. This will provide greater incentive to donate and will also give us all a realistic view of what is possible in terms of site function.

Good point.... And for now, that is the MAIN goal....  ALL funds given to this account, will be for programming only..

ALSO as for mail contributions, yes, contact me via pm, and I can give you an address... I will be opening a checking account as soon as I get enough money, and this will allow me to send payments to programmers directly, as well as deposit money sent via mail..

JimK
#8December 31st, 2007 · 02:04 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
ok I sent a donation to bandamp.

I had a idea though that you could donate and with the donation you became a subscriber of some type .. You get   info via emails about who, what, where, and how the money and updates are being done...  kinda like a stockholders board sorta  does this make any sense.. it's late and I too am sick so I'm  fuzzy headed from the meds.
#9January 14th, 2008 · 07:20 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
ok...
To date we have $67.17 in the account. Keep in mind that it cost's money to accept credit cards, so there is a small fee per transaction, and it is a percentage fee, so it varies from transaction to transaction..
Receive payments funded by Credit Card, Debit Card or Buyer Credit    
4.9% + $0.30 USD (limit of 5 transactions per 12 month period)** for domestic or U.S. transactions

2% + applicable Fees Fees for cross border payments

4.9% plus $0.30 USD for card payments received using PayPal on Skype    
For premier business accounts:
1.9% to 2.9% + $0.30 USD

The Bandamp account is a Premier Business account, so the fees are the lower listed, 1.9-2.9%+ 30 cents.. So keep that in mind..   I am hoping to get more in there... This is to be able to offer incentive payments to whoever does the programming of the site. I am hoping it will work, and we can get more money and more programming done! 

Anyway, this is the status of the account so far... As more donations come in, I will update this thread..

Thanks to all those who have already donated, your support and love for this site are very appreciated..

JimK
#10January 15th, 2008 · 08:26 AM
24 threads / 19 songs
171 posts
United States of America
Can you tell me more about what kind of programming you're seeking?  As I've already said, I'm somewhat fluent with some computer languages... also, I'm continuing for my Bachelor's in Computer Science (programming) starting Spring 08 semester.  I'll be getting familiar with Java.  I'm very good with visualization too.  PM me with details.
#11January 15th, 2008 · 08:33 AM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
pay day is on monday and I'll make sure to pay my due!
#12January 15th, 2008 · 05:36 PM
24 threads / 19 songs
171 posts
United States of America
Jim, you should state a goal that says how much you are trying to raise.  I think more people will get into it if they feel they are helping to reach a specified goal rather than an open-ended one.  Maybe say, so much will give "us" this, and so much will give us that.... Levels to strive for.  Then people will feel more wanting to fill in the gap.  And, also, take a percentage of your members, and divide the amounts by that percentage of members, and tell us how much each person has to donate to reach those goals.  If people feel they are contributing an equal amount, then they'' feel more a part of it, and you won't have to rely on a few big donations.
#13January 15th, 2008 · 06:34 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
dontaion amounts
I had actually though of trying to do something similar, but the number of members vs active members is a bit skewed, and the members who haven't logged in since 2003 keep popping back in now, so I don't want to cancel any old accounts, they don't take up much room...  Also, I don't want anyone to feel they HAVE to donate anything, this is a nonprofit site, and allot of people here can't afford much, others can afford more, and I like to make everyone feel that whatever they can afford to donate is fine, and they don't have to donate at all..  It would be nice, and I don't really have a set dollar goal, because I am hoping to get someone who is willing to do it to help out the site, and We will give them whatever we can as a thank you gift for doing so. This way, it's a win/win situation.. I could pay a pro service to do it, but that would be expensive, and might not be in the best interest of the site.. At the same time, It owuld be faster, but to keep maintaining the site, that could be more than donations could withstand.. So, I think for now, lets just pray for kindness from the members, and know that whatever you can give is appreciated and accepted graciously.. This is after all, the CHURCH OF BANDAMP
#14January 15th, 2008 · 11:33 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Jim, I will put something in the pot, not now though , it 5 in the morning    , and if things go all right I'll probably keep on putting in the pot every now and then 
I do agree with Toastys suggestion to put the figures out in an e-mail only for the members who have donated.
I'm not to sure about putting the administration on a public web page or anything about the account either, that's bandAmp business.
I don't agree that it should have a limit, it's an on-going thing, it's not about the steeple it's about keeping the whole thing going and developing it as it moves forwards.
#15January 16th, 2008 · 04:30 AM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
re: dontaion amounts
I am not able to donate money, so I'll just say that I appreciate what you're doing here, jim, this is a great site, and it's great to see members getting behind the site and supporting the site with their wallets.Since I can't contribute in that way, I'll raise a glass of milo in toast to jim, and to all who can donate to the site, from me, and from the other people like me who can't donate, cheers. This is a great community you're investing in.

Dammit, why'd you add that link, I had to click it, and then I had to bump it... and it's all your fault...
lol, good work.

Thanks, guys.

WB

PS: Aside from the toast, I have decided to do one other thing, give this thread a rating of 5 stars, the thread, and its creator has definitely earned it.
1 2 3

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 4:17 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.