1 2 3
#31February 23rd, 2008 · 05:40 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Jim, I'm not trying to argue with you, your ideas are basically good. What I mean is to compile a clear checklist with objectives. So far the objectives are written as arguments in longish posts, while you could also write them down like this:

1) - looking for programmer: cost $500. progress: $215
 - add collaboration audio forum - progress 0%
 - cleaning up the code - progress 0%

It's all in organisation anyway, if I have to read through several threads with long posts to extract these objectives then it's not really convincing me that this is really all coming along just fine right now. That's basically what I'm trying to tell, and my apologies for writing it so that it seemed I was attacking you.

Now then I know what we are up against. If this list is somewhere where everyone can quickly see it that would be great. And I suppose the list is or can become bigger but you know that better than I do... A list with clearly defined objectives is all I'm asking for.

peace...
#32February 23rd, 2008 · 10:39 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
JimK wrote…
I have talked to a total of 14 different prospective programmers. This isn't a if I can maybe finda programmer. This is a major undertaking. I am not going to pass the main server access of Bandamp off to just any guy who says "Hey, I can program PHP".. I need to see proven work, I need to know that they are trustworthy enough, and are going to do what it takes to make this site right.

aha.. Now I see the truth why my account got lost....
Jim, you didnt ask me.
As I tried to get a copy of the sources the download failed. And when I tried to do it again the entry was closed to me.
Now I asked you for a new account but nothing happens. how many time do you still need to get a go by mud? Tell me yes or no.
I cant see the reason why you think you must be the only one to learn in php? must you?
go and learn the sax or whatever you want to learn. but speaking php or find solutions in database programming with the help of php language are such very different things. you must be born for that and you need tons of experiences.
what is proven work to you?
and at last: open the secret for the final goals what (only) you have in mind?
otherwise I dont know what to do here when the source is given to the community and this community cant decide about its own future except to do a donation. for what?
you are only a moderator not the owner, arent you?
sorry for  that harsh words but I am totally confused and frustrated about this thread
#33February 23rd, 2008 · 11:08 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
JimK wrote…
I have talked to a total of 14 different prospective programmers. This isn't a if I can maybe finda programmer. This is a major undertaking. I am not going to pass the main server access of Bandamp off to just any guy who says "Hey, I can program PHP".. I need to see proven work, I need to know that they are trustworthy enough, and are going to do what it takes to make this site right.

aha.. Now I see the truth why my account got lost....
Jim, you didnt ask me.
As I tried to get a copy of the sources the download failed. And when I tried to do it again the entry was closed to me.
Now I asked you for a new account but nothing happens. how many time do you still need to get a go by mud? Tell me yes or no.
I cant see the reason why you think you must be the only one to learn in php? must you?
go and learn the sax or whatever you want to learn. but speaking php or find solutions in database programming with the help of php language are such very different things. you must be born for that and you need tons of experiences.
what is proven work to you?
and at last: open the secret for the final goals what (only) you have in mind?
otherwise I dont know what to do here when the source is given to the community and this community cant decide about its own future except to do a donation. for what?
you are only a moderator not the owner, arent you?
sorry for  that harsh words but I am totally confused and frustrated about this thread

Triton, Not only DID I ASK YOU to do the programming. I gave you the access to the server. If you couldn't download it, you didn't tell me. And you then came to me a few days ago, and told me it wasn't working. I had to go to MUD, because HE IS THE ONE WHO HAS THE SERVER! Not me, I only have the same info that you had. He has now answered me with the new password. It has changed. I don't know why it was changed. But it was. I don't really care what you think I am doing. But I am not going to be treated like some asshole trying to rul this thing. If you don't like what I am doing, then you take over everything. You be moderator, take care of programming, answering questions.. Do you have time for all that? I am but one person Trtion, and I have always been very quick to answer your questions, I have always been freindly and have always treated you with respect. You hurt my feelings with this attack sir, and it is uncalled for. I am looking for a programmer. YOU WERE MY MAIN PROGRAMMER, you dissapeared sir. You were busy with a project at work, YOUR EXACT WORDS. I expected you would tell me when you were not busy.. You came to me the other day saying you couldn't actually do any real programming, but you wanted to take a look at the database, that tells me it isn't a priority that I find out the code RIGHT THIS SECOND and give it to you. DO YOU TRULY KNOW PHP? Do you have a functioning site that you designed? I would love to see it. This is something I would like to see to show you know what your doing...
#34February 23rd, 2008 · 12:12 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Oh Jim,
I didnt mention to hurt your feelings. And I apologised my words right before in my last post. I repeat that with this words.
But if only mud has the rights to do something. then the bandamp community should give back the responsibilty to mud. and (sorry) let this project die. BUT (!!!!!!!) if this is the way the community breaks then leave the site as it is.
I am not here to do any kind of troubles. But I thought I was a member belonging to this community and always (!) saying what I can stand for. maybe its good for ones ears or not.
And you said it right: Probably I was a main partner to do such kind of things but you didnt tell me that I was the only one. I ever thought that are few others doing the same. So this was the reason why we were not in contact. you can see me on skype almost everyday I would not say I disappeared. but you did not contact ME. and dont get me wrong but Bandamp is NOT a day time job for you, isnt it?
We are living in a world of communication and exactly this fails?
Hey we are musicians and wannabe musicians and independent and have all kind of fun on here. but this donation thing is not the right decision in my opinion. and Bandamp is truly not the first site for publishing own works. Others can do better and they are o r g a n i z e d. Bandamp is far away from that. And it is a MUST to come together to found a circle of responsibilities, call it CORE or whatever. (oh its nice to play with words.)

btw I am doing a complete intranet hosting for my company right now. sad I cant show you because it is not for public. the extranet will start at the end of this year. Then you can see MY skills and experiences. But thats not the point. I will send you a link via skype to show you what I have done in main parts with a coworker.

Its not the question of PHP or whatever you may call it. And its not the question of looking over the source code. It is not even documented (what I saw in fragments). If I had a site or a conception similar to BandAmp I would go other ways. Forget about the programming thing with me. Its in your hands. And you are doing a good job my friend (hope still I am). I am sorry about the direction this discussion leads. and believe me... I would never attack you personally but see it as a critique to the moderator job.
and again:
why is a moderator looking for a programmer?
Why doesnt the server belong to the community?
What are the real goals?
#35February 23rd, 2008 · 01:44 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
Hey..

speaking about how organized other sites are...  Here is the difference between them and this site..

The other sites are paid for with advertising dollars...  They are filled with ads from Google and other sites selling stuff. They have full time programmers that are paid to take care of stuff, and the site is making MONEY for the owners. This site is FREE with NO ADS no banners, no full time programmers. Noone has been paid for anything.. 

So, this has to be done in everyone's spare time...  The reason I am doing it is because I am the only one who did something instead of talking about it.  

JimK
#36February 23rd, 2008 · 04:00 PM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
Don't we have mailbox's for such pissing and moaning back and forth?

#37February 23rd, 2008 · 05:24 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
yes use it!
#38February 25th, 2008 · 05:29 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
oh wow... i'm a little surprised at this.. Triton, I apologize for not responding.  Frankly, I had more important things to do in real life than to discuss it.  I already know that you don't like discussion all that much :P   (sorry, please don't think I'm being cynical... just tiredly funny)

fact in the matter:

we've got no ads.  we wanted it that way.  now we've got to keep our bastion afloat, dang it. 

The "things" that need to be done first:  mostly, Jim had been volunteering his free time to learn php.  that's a good place to start when nobody else raises their hands and then delves into the matter.

i much leave for now, but i hope to be able to state a little more about how i think things might progress in the near future?  I'm not trying to agitate the situation by rehashing the same deal, really.  I realize people are a little tired of this topic since it's not sorting itself out.

I'd be mad too if I expected life to sort itself out, and then didn't.
#39February 29th, 2008 · 01:27 PM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
Jim,

I just made a donation. Its isn't a very large amount of money. I will continue donating on a monthly basis. I think that this is a great idea what your doing, Jim. I know it is very time consuming. What ever you do decide to use the funds for I'm sure it will be money well spent in the best interest of Bandamp and for the members of the Community. It would be nice to know how the money is being used.

Flyer
#40February 29th, 2008 · 06:58 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
This thread isn't 2 months old and it's meant to be for Donations, I'm not quite sure what the rest of the thread says to those that might want to donate !!??

To quote my self from this thread
"I do agree with Toastys suggestion to put the figures out in an e-mail only for the members who have donated.
I'm not to sure about putting the administration on a public web page or anything about the accounts either, that's bandAmp business."

Jim if you've got so much to do other than 'work on' bandAmp, like most of the "willing and able but unavailable" members why don't you approach it more efficiently, get the donation button on the main page permanently, have a short and direct explanation of what will happen with the money somewhere on the site, the rest you can do via 'a' pm or e-mail to those that donate, the 'share holders'.

Something else Jim, If you were sent , for example , the code for a fully functional new forum , are you still able to implement it into the site ? Just asking ,
Or the code and instructions to get more icons to show ???
Could you get that into the working site?
#41March 3rd, 2008 · 01:11 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Extremely valid thought, kings, about a clean-slate forum.  sure, migrating our current beloved bandamp might be a pain, but honestly people... will it be any more of a pain than recoding the one we've already got?

Again, I'm really not opposed to helping out at all, I just can't take a frontal position in the effort (thus classifying me fittingly into that nice label for people "willing and able but unavailable").

Even if we start with a skeleton forum, nasty and unattractive as it may be, we could build visually off of it, so long as the code is in fine working order.  I honestly don't see many other ways out of this pickle we're in.

And rather than just talking about it casually, why don't we get some ideas and skeleton forums together, and start implementing it into the dev version of the site, to see how well we can make it work?  If it progresses decently, then we can worry about porting the existing forum.  If THAT progresses nicely, then boom, we can make the switch to a more simple environment, setting ourselves up to build off of it.

For starters, I can likely get myself a bit involved with the html, css, and php, though I'll be honest and say that I'm going to be out of town this next week and the last thing on my mind will be coding 

If this idea gets any serious consideration by Jim and/or the other mods, we ought to break off of this thread and start a new one.  The only things to be discussed would be the WHO, and the HOW.  absolutely no WHY's.  Althought Triton's earlier comments were pretty abrasive, in my opinion, I do agree about all the talking that we fall into doing
#42March 7th, 2008 · 04:39 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
So....
I checked the bandamp server a little bit and I saw that only 1GB RAM is installed.
There is lots of disk space but the memory is in use with about 85% when server is in "idle" state.
In many years of experiences I know that a database can only live with RAM + RAM + RAM + .....
I think we should invest the first donations in buying new RAM, suggesting that 4GB (1+3) should help for the first step. This could be the problem with the lacking response times of the server

We just had set up a MS SQL2005 database server with 4 Dual core CPUs and 32GB RAM on a Windows 2003 server. We migrated the simple database from a SQL2000 1 Dual core CPU and 2GB RAM. And believe me..... it's not a bicycle race any longer, it's a formula one feeling by doing sql queries now

So what do you think?
#43March 7th, 2008 · 10:18 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
very possible...

This morning, on a very competent internet connection, i've been testing the website's response time... this is what I'm finding:

--When trying to follow multiple links on the site (via more than one tab or window), all of such tabs/windows will complete their requests to Bandamp (effectively) simultaneously.  All of the traffic suddenly gets through all at once.

--These above mentioned bursts of sudden activity come every 2, 3 minutes right now.   (Before, we were experiencing 5 to 10 minute delays, but right now, it's mostly 2 to 3 minutes.  Occasionally, I'll get through within 20 seconds... not often though.)

--When trying to upload my most recent track this morning, I could only get an average of 3k for upload speed.  I did manage to spike to 7k, but then it would hang (likely related to the exact same delays we've been seeing on the site.)  I got to school later on this morning and uploaded from here, where the connection is significantly faster, and I was able to upload the song in better time.  I probably was able to catch a brief window where there were no delays.

that's all i've got.... if you think this is linked to the RAM in the machine, then we could pretty easily fix that.  I worry about how much time it'll take us to get it purchased and then put into the machine... we might be suffering for another several days if we discover this to be the problem...

(Even if it doesn't work, at least the server will be more properly equipped for future use )
#44March 14th, 2008 · 10:43 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Hey, How are the donations going??

I'm a bit flush this month spent on myself and my daughter's x2 birthadays, they are teenagers too!!

but, I promise to put in the pot, when I can.

Jim, I trust you will do the best you can, thank you for taking resposibility for the donations, I hope you get more support from our members, we are after all a community, so let's all work together and build this site up, so we can stand up and be proude of it.

All the best to everybody.

Peace

Denis
#45March 16th, 2008 · 10:29 PM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
hey Jim..If I can be of any kind of help ..let me know....you know to get in contact with me....

Ralph

I think trying to get some radio time on the internet might be a good idea to check out
1 2 3
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 12:36 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.