#1July 4th, 2010 · 01:17 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Think you know Music ? See how much there is you didnt know!
"Is this Theory?
            Or is this Reality?"

The most respected DTF has been publishing his "Theory Lessons" in the Music Theory Forum
Slowly but surly, one by one, they are evolving into quite a compendium of Music Theory Lessons :

Theory Lessons
    Lesson 1: Sound... and by association: Music
    Lesson 2: Notation
    Lesson 3: Major and Minor Scales
    Lesson 4: Intervals
    Lesson 5: Chords
    Lesson 6: Texture and Arranging
    Lesson 7: Chord Progressions
    Lesson 8: Dominance
    Lesson 9: Cadences
    Lesson 10: Applied Dominance
    Lesson 11: Harmonic Overtone Series
    Lesson 12: Arranging Exercise
    Lesson 13: Lyrics 1
    Lesson 13a: Lyrics 2
    Lesson 14: Analysis
    Lesson 15: Arranging again
    Lesson 16: Tonal Modulation
    Lesson 17: Time Signatures and Lyrics
    Lesson 18: Intro to Lyrics and Poetry
    Lesson 19: Storytelling and Imagery
    Lesson 20: Lyrics and Ideas
    Lesson 21: Motifs
    Lesson 22: Writing Methods
    Lesson 23: Chromaticism and Colour

Do the whole course or choose a subject, if you have any comments or questions get them posted and lets get these discussions rolling.

In DTFs own words :
"The goals of this project would be to give lessons on theory, encourage discussion, and advance everyone's knowledge."
#2July 4th, 2010 · 01:41 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
This is superb, total respect for DTF in not only using his time to create this, but also in how professional the presentation.

I would be very interested to see a lesson in creating lyrics, this is my weak point in creating songs.
#3July 4th, 2010 · 03:45 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Denis wrote…
This is superb, total respect for DTF in not only using his time to create this, but also in how professional the presentation.

I would be very interested to see a lesson in creating lyrics, this is my weak point in creating songs. :razz:
Hmmm...Well you've got to use words like you would notes, but how you put them together is up to your own 'inspiration' I suppose.
And like the theory of music there are certain grammatical and rhythmical ways of writing that create lyrics.

But this is off topic....

I believe you also have some lessons posted in the forums Denis. I'm sure you had one about recording vocals, but I couldn't find it back. I'll have to go investigating again.
#4July 5th, 2010 · 02:23 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
kings wrote…
Denis wrote…

I would be very interested to see a lesson in creating lyrics, this is my weak point in creating songs. :razz:
Hmmm...Well you've got to use words like you would notes, but how you put them together is up to your own 'inspiration' I suppose.
And like the theory of music there are certain grammatical and rhythmical ways of writing that create lyrics.

But this is off topic....

I believe you also have some lessons posted in the forums Denis. I'm sure you had one about recording vocals, but I couldn't find it back. I'll have to go investigating again.
http://forum.bandamp.com/Recording/15420.html
I've used another technique recently layering vocals, I used it recently re recording this song
http://forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/8002.html
This is similar  effect to how they did it before digital technology, basically you copy the the track and move it forward in time by approx .010 m/secs (best to experiment around it to find the optimum effect level). Also if you blend the reverb/echo so that the original has more it fills in the gap between the two times, thus making it sound rather FULL & LARGE....lol. This if far the best method I've used so far. Pink Floyd used it in many of their tracks. Layering vox is created in most popular audio recordings, but you can use it for any genres. HAPPY DAYS
#5July 6th, 2010 · 11:05 AM
17 threads / 16 songs
99 posts
United States of America
wow I checked this out briefly at work but will go full blown into it at home thanks for posting!
#6July 9th, 2010 · 05:57 PM
102 threads / 59 songs
204 posts
Canada
Hey. Well thanks for bringing attention to this, glad people like them. I see now that I forgot 13. I've been meaning to do a lesson on lyrics, I'll get working on it soon to fill in the gap. If anyone has any questions or wants to add/correct anything just let me know, PM or put a comment in a thread.

Cheers.
#7January 3rd, 2011 · 05:42 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Seeing as you've been busy recently writing more lessons it was time to update this list. 
#8May 18th, 2011 · 07:32 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
StumbleUpon just threw me here! Thought you might like to know..
#9June 10th, 2011 · 04:14 PM
Missing..
Is there anything on modes on any of your lessons? As a classically trained musician this was one of the hardest things to wrap my head around, but once I understood, realized how simple they can be!

Just an idea.. 

I was a tutor my last semester at Berklee and modes and tensions were some of the subjects I worked with students most on. This is a great post, and I'm glad people care about learning theory!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 12:02 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.