#1December 5th, 2008 · 02:44 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Recording Vox
Here's a tip put on a forum by a quality producer, I haven't tried it yet:

I have a few tricks that always tend to work on vocals. 
1. I always use delay instead of reverb. Somewhere around 300ms with no feedback (repeats).  Dial in the right tempo and tuck it under so it's barely audible.  Thats a great trick for keeping the vocal up front but still giving it some depth.

2. There's a preset on the Eventide H3000 called MicroPitchShift.  It's a stereo effect that basically thickens up the vocal track.  You can recreate it with plugins.
I tend to use Echoboy or Soundblender to achieve this effect when mixing in the box.  Try this:  stereo delay 12ms on the Left, 24ms on the right. Then pitch shift +8cents on the left and -8 cents on the right.

Here's another:

I recently tried one  which involves duplicating the main vocal eq'ing one with quite a substantial boost in the 100 and 10k zone and compressing that track heavily and the other with no eq boost and a mild compression and blending the 2 till it sounds richer and livelier.

Try them out and upload on the AMP

Cheers

Denis
#2December 5th, 2008 · 12:42 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Thanks man! This is really going to help our bands recording. We are tryign to find the BEST possible ways to record everything!
Thanks we will definitely try this!
#3December 22nd, 2008 · 08:55 PM
28 threads / 20 songs
255 posts
Australia
I'm sorry I didn't post my appreciation earlier for this thread but I really have found this thread very useful, especially the
"... stereo delay 12ms on the Left, 24ms on the right. Then pitch shift +8cents on the left and -8 cents on the right ..."

I've used this for nearly every vocal on our latest demo, especially cos it's female vocals, it really adds a lot of body to the vocals. Next I'm looking to do something similar with lead guitars and such.

So thanks again, if you got any more mastering and mixing tips like these that would be much appreciated.
#4December 23rd, 2008 · 04:15 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Chill wrote…
I'm sorry I didn't post my appreciation earlier for this thread but I really have found this thread very useful, especially the
"... stereo delay 12ms on the Left, 24ms on the right. Then pitch shift +8cents on the left and -8 cents on the right ..."

I've used this for nearly every vocal on our latest demo, especially cos it's female vocals, it really adds a lot of body to the vocals. Next I'm looking to do something similar with lead guitars and such.

So thanks again, if you got any more mastering and mixing tips like these that would be much appreciated.

That's great, do you have a link so we can hear the results?

I also posted a recent thread about compression.

If you let me know what instruments you are recording, I'll let you know what I know

Cheers

Denis
#5December 23rd, 2008 · 01:53 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
great post Dennis , very helpful,, got any more??
#6December 26th, 2008 · 03:24 PM
24 threads
166 posts
United States of America
duely noted
thanks for this tip... i tried rating the thread but it acted up and instead of a 100 you got a 38... sorry
uhm... i am writing this down and will remember it in the future!!
#7February 2nd, 2009 · 06:19 PM
89 posts
Canada
Hey Dennis
This sounds great, thanks.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Also gonna check out your post on compression!  Appreciate it.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 19th, 2024 · 12:03 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.