1 2

#1March 2nd, 2015 · 03:16 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
BandAMP Music Video Collab
http://forum.bandamp.com/The_Pit/43929.html
Those of you who are taking part in the above thread or want to take part need to get their cameras rolling NOW!
PX has sent me his shoot and recording, I need you all to get your fingers out and do this! come on all you need to do is set a date to shoot it and then practice - you don't need more than a week,  if me and PX can do it so can you.
So what do you say, don't chicken out or come up with pathetic excuses, bite your lip, get your head down and give it your best shot!
#2April 1st, 2015 · 03:23 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Also: last month

Actually this was posted only last month. Thinking about that it somehow seems like a completely different world today and that was a million years ago. Yet it also feels like only yesterday.

Time flies by and takes a long time doing so. Snail pace on a rat race, and the universe is expanding at an increasing rate as we speak.

Ever attempted to watch a clock move? It takes a lot of patience. More so than watching paint dry. Get a clock without a seconds-indicator. You can see the long arm move ever so slightly, but the short arm not so much. But you CAN! Just make sure you shift your position regularly and keep hydrated. Once you start hearing and/or seeing things that aren't there you know sensory deprivation has set in, but you need to make sure to keep focused on that short arm of the clock. Don't let your eyes wander, or you'll miss the experience!

Alternatively, you could do something much more thrilling and set up a camera, whip yourself in the mood, and do this Lennon classic that we were all excited to do a few eons ago. Now life is busy without a doubt but you know, there were times when you didn't want to miss a thing, and it's a good thing to sometimes relive old things, so why don't you grab this opportunity to not miss out on this thing?
#3April 1st, 2015 · 04:18 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
PuppetXeno wrote…
Also: last month

Actually this was posted only last month. Thinking about that it somehow seems like a completely different world today and that was a million years ago. Yet it also feels like only yesterday.

Time flies by and takes a long time doing so. Snail pace on a rat race, and the universe is expanding at an increasing rate as we speak.

Ever attempted to watch a clock move? It takes a lot of patience. More so than watching paint dry. Get a clock without a seconds-indicator. You can see the long arm move ever so slightly, but the short arm not so much. But you CAN! Just make sure you shift your position regularly and keep hydrated. Once you start hearing and/or seeing things that aren't there you know sensory deprivation has set in, but you need to make sure to keep focused on that short arm of the clock. Don't let your eyes wander, or you'll miss the experience!

Alternatively, you could do something much more thrilling and set up a camera, whip yourself in the mood, and do this Lennon classic that we were all excited to do a few eons ago. Now life is busy without a doubt but you know, there were times when you didn't want to miss a thing, and it's a good thing to sometimes relive old things, so why don't you grab this opportunity to not miss out on this thing?
I was thinking about his project the other day and questioned why is this project in limbo?
I came to the conclusion of that many people are camera shy, or a least video capture shy? Am I right I wonder, are you all worried that your performance  will not be to your liking or just not good enough?
If so here is what I propose.  Shoot your video and send it to me, I'll do a quick video edit of what we have so far that no one but your self and I can view.  You can then decide if you want to either opt out or try again.
If it's something else I'd like to know, please tell me, I won't be offended, but more so to be in the know, so I can learn from it.
This is a project that could be a glorious thing for the AMP and its members including YOU- you need to create the desire to do it - think about this, think only about the glory and how it will make you feel, this is the key to creating your personal desire. Desire is the key, creating it is up to you.
#4April 3rd, 2015 · 07:41 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I have to go out and buy a new camera, any suggestions?
#5April 4th, 2015 · 02:55 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
toastedgoat wrote…
I have to go out and buy a new camera, any suggestions?
What's your budget? I've been buying manufactured refurbished gear recently on Ebay, you would never know looking at them.
If you are only going to use it occasionally you can but a compact camera with built in HD video, which will give you decent quality. Technology has come so far. With video, you can get good results with a cheap camera, all you need to do is focus on good lighting. I recently used a cheap 500 watt halogen work light and bounced it off the ceiling, which acts as a large light source with excellent results. If you already have a camera with video already, try it out.
I used to have a compact Sony mid range digital camera with HD video, I got it refurbished for £150.00. Fully automatic with great results.
I've recently got into photography and sold my compact camera and camcorder in exchange for a Canon 70D DSLR. It's currently the best semi-pro camera for both video and photography, but it's not cheap. Then you need to buy lenses for certain types of photography or video, if you want the best results for quality or convenience.
The best makes tend to be Canon, Nikon and Sony, but others like Samsung, Panasonic still provide good results.
You could even use your mobile/cell phone to record video, as I said earlier just focus on the lighting. Go on YouTube for some tutorials, there are great tips on a low budget that will give you great results.
#6April 7th, 2015 · 07:26 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
thanks ,Dennis, much appreciated.  I have a pretty good budget. Some things have happened in my life that have made a huge difference in my finances. With the move and what's going on I could buy a pretty good video camera.
#7April 8th, 2015 · 02:35 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
toastedgoat wrote…
thanks ,Dennis, much appreciated.  I have a pretty good budget. Some things have happened in my life that have made a huge difference in my finances. With the move and what's going on I could buy a pretty good video camera.
toastedgoat wrote…
If you want a good DSLR camera and video camera, the Canon 70d is a winner. You get superb image quality stills and the video works like a camecorder in the way it focuses. Virtually every other DSLR that has video cannot track focus well, the 70d is excellent. It's even better at video that the Canon Full frame 5d mk III , which costs almost three times as much, but the 5d is the best for stills, it's more for pro photography.
If you don't want a bulky DSLR to carry around, then look at the Sony compact cameras, or there is something in between called 'bridge cameras' that are small cameras that can have interchangeable lenses. I'm not an expert with the latter types, however if you don't want to get into photography/videography and just want to take good quality photos automatically, I would go with the top of the range Sony compact. I've had a couple, it had the most amazing auto mode + features and the video was excellent to.
If you do go the DSLR root, be prepared to learn how to get the most out of it, hence if you are going to use auto mode on it all the time, you may as well get a compact, which will still give you good results. Being as you are quite techy like me, you may enjoy learning how to get the best from a DSLR, it really is a techy experience.
If there is a Camera shop near by, go and get their advise and try a few out. Like a guitar you may prefer the feel of a Nikon than a Canon or even different models in the ranges feel different.
I love my Canon 70d DSLR with their latest STM lenses that give silent focus and I mean silent, which means great for videography. I think only the Nikon d7200 compares with it, which has its advantages over the Canon, the stills are better quality, but the video is not as slick as the Canon
Go on Tony Northrup's YouTube channel, he does the best comparisons on Cameras, great teacher and photographer and a really nice guy.
The other option of course is to buy a purpose built video camera, which is a mindfield. But if you want the best video, it may be something you should look into. before I bought my Canon 70d DSLR I had a cheap sony camcorder, I did not like it, too flimsy and the video capability was limited. I got better results from an older digital tape camcorder, which regrettably I sold.
It's not the best guide here, but it should give you a starting ground to end up with what will suite you best.
Let me know what you buy please. I'd like to share your experience.
#8April 11th, 2015 · 12:30 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
thanks for the info , I'll put it to good use.
#9April 11th, 2015 · 01:09 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
toastedgoat wrote…
thanks for the info , I'll put it to good use.
See reviews on the new Nikon D7200, which compares favourably with the Canon 70D.
Same price, it's a close comparison, think the Nikon wins on stills and the Canon on video, but very close either way.
#10May 8th, 2015 · 09:40 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Denis, I must apologise profusely, not for not sending you a recording but for saying I would to start with.
I printed out the lyrics, sat and practised but every time I did I ended up thinking of how I really did not want to sing Imagine by John Lemon ... it's not what I want to say and it's also "yet again another rendition of Imagine".

I even ended up in a lengthy conversation .... well, more insults and sarcasm than a conversation, with a good Christian man called Colin on the JL Imagine youTube page.... so I have listened to it a lot but it does not change how I feel.

Personally I would go for something more special, from a different angle so to say ..... only as an example, 'imagine' doing this as a collab : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6Mv6FHYQf0
It is only an example, there are tens of thousands of possibilities.
But I would rather say "I really love you baby" in this way than 'Imagine all the people eating Christmas pie'
There's room for Swordy on the tooter in this one to.
#11May 8th, 2015 · 02:38 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
kings wrote…
Denis, I must apologise profusely, not for not sending you a recording but for saying I would to start with.
I printed out the lyrics, sat and practised but every time I did I ended up thinking of how I really did not want to sing Imagine by John Lemon ... it's not what I want to say and it's also "yet again another rendition of Imagine".

I even ended up in a lengthy conversation .... well, more insults and sarcasm than a conversation, with a good Christian man called Colin on the JL Imagine youTube page.... so I have listened to it a lot but it does not change how I feel.

Personally I would go for something more special, from a different angle so to say ..... only as an example, 'imagine' doing this as a collab : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6Mv6FHYQf0
But I would rather say "I really love you baby" in this way than 'Imagine all the people eating Christmas pie'
Seems this collab was doomed from the start - It felt like a good idea at the time? I don't feel like trying again, plus I now think what ever I try to give bandAMP a boost will fail.  Time to move on to pastures new, but I'll still log on from time to time.
#12May 8th, 2015 · 07:14 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Denis wrote…
kings wrote…

Seems this collab was doomed from the start - It felt like a good idea at the time? I don't feel like trying again, plus I now think what ever I try to give bandAMP a boost will fail.  Time to move on to pastures new, but I'll still log on from time to time.

Although I do understand kings' argument - I did find it difficult to get into the right mode, and it certainly wasn't the ideal song for me, thinking about the collective effort still made me do it. What's the worst thing that could happen? The worst thing that could happen was saying you will participate but then not do it, causing a compromise of trust. And the world is weak on trust enough already... (possibly also what the song Imagine tries to fight, in fact)

Anyway, I don't blame anyone, sadly it was sort of expected to go this way. However, about the pastures new, I don't know of any, F*book certainly isn't it, and Google-plus even though neatly integrated with browsing behaviour doesn't add to my musicality at all either. There's ReverbNation (commerce as hell) or whatever the next SoundShare has to offer (there's several upload services with no communal interaction whatsoever)... BandAMP is still a place where people return to and speak their minds, and still some new people sometimes show up for a few comments and sometimes they stick around... Why not? As long as we're open for discussions and respect one another, what's the worst thing that can happen? In a world full of disappointment, this site still makes a point.
#13May 11th, 2015 · 09:03 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
imho since bandamp is 99% about songwriting and originals.  A song collab with video would be cool.  Something simple but fun.  Just to get back into the hang of coming to band amp on a regular basis again.
I've been to lots of other sites, for what we did here this is still my favorite.
#14May 12th, 2015 · 02:18 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
toastedgoat wrote…
imho since bandamp is 99% about songwriting and originals.  A song collab with video would be cool.  Something simple but fun.  Just to get back into the hang of coming to band amp on a regular basis again.
I've been to lots of other sites, for what we did here this is still my favorite.
it's a shame that the AMP is not active as it used to be, it really needs updating and marketing to attract more people and that takes time and money.
I've always said it, re-design the battle, make it easier for people to qualify and give them some type of award or gift for winning and the AMP will grow and grow. The AMP could be the X Factor on the net, we could call it something like 'bandAMP songwriting championship awards' - if we could team up with a record label or producer to finance the winner of the year the AMP would become a household name.
Then there are those of us that like the small intimate community we have, but that also needs a boost, much in the same way.
#15June 19th, 2015 · 04:19 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I'm having a outbuilding studio made
I'm going to have an out building put up,  3/4 of the building is going to be dedicated to my band room/studio
It's going to be a bit of a project. hope to have it done by the end of the year.I'm finishing up a temp recording spot in the front room.

as of right now I set up some stuff in the front room. my wife is giving me the eye..lol  I should be a able to record later today. Hopefully .
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 8:07 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.