1 2 3

#1November 21st, 2007 · 08:55 PM
76 threads / 5 songs
529 posts
Cook Islands
Best Covers of all time
ok,well the song,artist who re-did it(or artists) then original artist...It got me thinking when I was listening to a bunch of ska-punk covers

Holy Diver-Killswitch Engage~Dio
Scooby Doo Theme Song-Anonymous~I have no clue...
Love Will Tear Us Apart-Fall Out Boy~Joy Division
Naive-Lily Allen~The Kooks
Every body's Changing-Lily Allen~Keane
Turning Japanese-NOFX~I forget the name at the moment

but my list could go on and on!
#2November 22nd, 2007 · 11:00 AM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
"sweet dreams" by Roy Buchanan. You may recognize this as the song that is provided in the ending of the film "The Departed". I've been a fan of Roy's since the early 70's when I first heard this song. Here is a link that provides the studio version from YouTube (nothing to see here, really, but a good sample of the song).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju-ZAVE8ztQ.
For a Live version, check this out :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-napaZr48s
(keep in mind, that in the 60's and early 70's nobody played even remotely similar to this).
#3November 22nd, 2007 · 12:05 PM
15 threads
63 posts
United States of America
hey MEOW um... i must correct you on this one

Scooby Doo Theme~MXPX~David Mook and Ben Raleigh

that is a good one!!!!

Kung Foo Fighting~The Foo Fighters-Carl Douglas
Working Class Hero~GreenDay~John Lennon
        (although this was good i have some tapes of john lennon that were recorded on the fly by these people i knew that claimed to know john lennon and it is INSANE!!!!!!! NOBODY let me repeat NOBODY can touch THE JOHN LENNON)
#4November 22nd, 2007 · 02:35 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Summertime Blues covered by The Who and by Rush
Don't Think Twice It's Alright by this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YjKnXy5GcE
Kind Hearted Woman - Eric Clapton and some people: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCg1h2cFnuk

That's about it.  Most covers are alright, nothing that stands out to me.
#5November 22nd, 2007 · 03:19 PM
76 threads / 5 songs
529 posts
Cook Islands
ninja:thanks!but is it the ska version,eh?
I like green day,but I HATE their version of working class hero.Hate it hate it hate it.
#6November 22nd, 2007 · 05:38 PM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
Working Class hero by john Lennon covered byt Marianne Faithful.
Noticed ninja posted the Green day cover, its a great song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N_rNz2oAGA
#7November 24th, 2007 · 02:12 AM
1 threads / 1 songs
47 posts
Germany
"Shapes of Things" Yardbirds tune covered by Bowie on his Pinups album.  Actually, the entire album is all covers and one of my favorites.
#8November 24th, 2007 · 08:58 AM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
avinashv wrote…
Summertime Blues covered by The Who and by Rush
Don't Think Twice It's Alright by this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YjKnXy5GcE
Kind Hearted Woman - Eric Clapton and some people: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCg1h2cFnuk

That's about it.  Most covers are alright, nothing that stands out to me.

I just wanted to thank you, Avinashv for those two excellent links. First of all, "Don't Think Twice" is probably one of my favorite songs of all time (I love everything about it - particularly the writer/performer's fatalistic attitude about a disappointing, and thus terminated, relationship, etc). And this guy performs it so very well! (and to top it all off, this video serves really well as an instructional video to learn this style of picking. I can't believe how well one can follow movement of the guy's hands in this video!)

Secondly, I have always been a fan of Clapton's (particularly his pure blues work) and this is a great film that not only provides an excellent recording of a live take, featuring some truly great playing by everyone concerned, but it also provides some discussion by Clapton about Robert Johnson. Very satisfying video for any Clapton fans there might be out there!
#9November 24th, 2007 · 10:19 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
About Her - by Malcolm McLaren (orig. "She's Not There" by The Zombies) featured in Kill Bill vol 2.

The original is preeetty sweet already, but the lounged up version is just friggin awesome! sends chills down my spine and gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it.

Technically it's not as much a cover since it only features the chorus. But... I don't care

Also pretty sweet is the New Dawn Fades (Joy Division) cover by Massive Attack. I like that massive sound they made of it.

Also, I've always loved The Animals doing Paint it Black. In fact, I prefer their version over the Rolling Stones' (I'm referring to the version I have off The Best of Eric Burden & The Animals, as I believe they have more... Their House of the Rising Sun off that album is very different from their earlier recording aswell, and much more appealing to me)

Gimme Shelter (orig. Rolling Stones) done by The Sisters of Mercy is Pretty Darn Good IMO. I just love that cold and distant sound of the '83 recording. In fact, I really don't care much for the original Stones version, since I am not a fan of Mick Jaggers voice - it does nothing for me but annoy.

The Sisters of Mercy also did Emma (orig Hot Chocolate) which is just AWESOME. I mean, it's a sad story in that song, I don't know why Hot Chocolate gave it such a happy sound. Thank god the Sisters knew what they were doing.
#10November 24th, 2007 · 05:30 PM
5 threads / 5 songs
590 posts
United Kingdom
I cant believe no-ones mentiones johnny cashs' "hurt" by nine inch nails. Im not the biggest fan of cash, but that was a really powerful song and video.

I like feeling good by muse, but i wouldnt say its better than the original. I cant really think of many more, im sure theres lots but my minds just gone blank.....
#11November 24th, 2007 · 06:39 PM
15 threads
63 posts
United States of America
MeowMachine wrote…
ninja:thanks!but is it the ska version,eh?
I like green day,but I HATE their version of working class hero.Hate it hate it hate it.
lol how can u hate any song written by john lennon but anyway yes that is the ska version
#12November 24th, 2007 · 07:44 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
for me
3am-JiminUK-Matchbox20

That's my favorite...  Then it just goes to your everyday run of the mill multimillion dollar recording artists, so they are boring.. this is the real stuff....

JimK
#13November 24th, 2007 · 08:24 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
oh
And lets not forget

I'm a believer-Smashmouth-Monkees

Too cool...  no matter what... both versions ROCK!!!

JimK
#14November 24th, 2007 · 11:41 PM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
Limp Bizkit- Faith
99 Red Balloons- Goldfinger
Leaving On A Jet Plane- MXPX
Helter Skelter- Motley Crue
Smokin In The Boys Room- Motley Crue
Signs- Tesla
No Woman No Cry- Fugees...Sublime's version musically..Wyclef's vox mixed with Sublime's version would be sweet
Am I Evil,Last Caress, Stone Cold Crazy- Metallica
Rusty Cage, Hurt- Johnny Cash
Cars- Fear Factory
Hazy Shade Of Winter- Bangles
Summer Time Blues- The Who
Wild Horses- The Sundays
I Will Survive- Cake
Baby Got Back (yep that one!)- Throwdown
Proud Mary- Ike and Tina Turner
Where Did You Sleep Last Night- Nirvana
I Will Always Love You- Whitney Houston
Blue Monday- Orgy
Pretty Woman- Van Halen
Love Hurts- Nazareth

...just to name a few.... ..oops! I forgot Johnny B. Goode by Judas Priest!
#15November 27th, 2007 · 08:26 AM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
BasketCase wrote…
Hazy Shade Of Winter- Bangles

I like Bodyjar's cover of that song.
Feeling Good by Muse, completely insane rock cover, in comparison to the snazzy jazz covers everyone else does.
Tuesday's Gone by Metallica
Tainted Love by The Living End (who hasn't covered that song?) another awesome rock cover.
Sunday Bloody Sunday by The Living End.
Toxicity by the string quartet tribute band, classical SOAD sounds soooo good.
Black Betty by Spiderbait.
Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm, you can't deny that version of the song is the classic example of awesome covers. It'd definitely be up there in the list of best covers of all time. The others are really good in my opinion, but this one really tops the list (despite being at the bottom).
1 2 3

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 1:22 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.