1 2 3

#1February 17th, 2010 · 02:09 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Jobs On BandAMP
Times are changing even the personal interests. It's long time ago that our moderators have been seen on this channel. And they did a fantastic work. Thank you for doing great jobs, JimK and PX!
But like I said: times are changing...

...actually there is no mod, ok I tried to do some work like this last few weeks, but I can't do all the things at the same time. And it's a question of time how long it's possible for me to do those programmings. I enjoy to keep BandAMP alive and messing around with the site's code. But by getting a new job (only God knows when or where this might be) I can buy me food finally.

And so I came to following thoughts:

What BandAMP needs:

One or better two loyal mods
- Keeping posts and pictures clean
- Doing some maintenance jobs
- Care about abusing things, rules breaking (members, music, "netiquette")
- Smoothing down differences (members, chats, discussions)
- you can easily fill up this list with your own statement/s

One person for editorials
(see it as a contact person for public or a press officer)
- Writing Newsletters (i.e. report of the last battle winners, new functions of the site, members interviews, follow their interests etc. etc. etc.)
- Reporting about News of the musical world outside (new instruments, gear, superstars)
- Rewriting our FAQs, Rules, Abouts and Licenses
- Creating graphics (Banners, Icons, Flash(movies))

One person with technique skills
- Linux
- PostgreSQL 8.3
- Apache 2.2
- PHP 4/5 (HTML, Javascript)

By coming to this point, I must tell you, that no one else but Mud has the hands on the server.
The hardware is hosted somewhere in USA, there is no mirror system afaik.
It's quite easy to push the power button and set the server to "off".
On the other hand the community has not to pay for webspace, services, access etc.

But I have no idea ...

...what happens when
- the server / hardware crashes
- power fails
- database breaks up
- the site is hacked (firewall, spamming etc.)

or

...who
- repairs the hardware
- turns the power on
- restores the database (is there a backup storage system?)
- cares about updates/upgrades

If I'd die tomorrow, there isn't anyone with this knowledge. So I can't do it alone!
Mud (or was it really his girl friend via Skype chat just a few days ago?) seemed to be overwhelmed by getting him involved with the site again. I was pleased not to ask him again in the future to prevent him from breakdowns.
And we saw what those halfhearted "programmers" like downchuck or slasherx did by setting up the server or incomplete upgrading the database.
The last official message via BandAMP was that he was setting up a non-profit organization with BandAMP. !?!?!?

btw, we are talking about voluntary jobs now

BandAMP it's up to you now and your powerful members

Thanks for not stop reading so far
#2February 17th, 2010 · 02:11 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
and sorry for my german english
#3February 17th, 2010 · 02:21 PM
15 threads / 8 songs
322 posts
Sweden
I read the entire thing, and I think I would make a good moderator. I think I'm on here literally a lot of the time - so I would be able to monitor the forum a lot. Not that much drama goes down, but I wouldn't mind helping to keep things clean and things of that matter. I think I'm an unbiased, responsible person - so I would be good for this sort of thing. I'm definitely interested, get back to me please.

Cheers.
#4February 17th, 2010 · 04:29 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
You can put me down as a Mod....I think you know that.
I'm not going to sign on any dotted line concerning the other matters, though I'd love to contribute, but if I make a commitment I somehow seam to go off and do something completely different, and at the moment, as the amp is picking up the pace so is my life...I have a growing family to support and loads of work to do.

But Moderating a little every day or so would suite me and how I use bandAmp and partake in the community.

Dont die tomorrow TK, I still need to get you the wheelchair and matching girlies !!
#5February 17th, 2010 · 04:38 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Shame about muds reaction to the site though......how do the members of a site 'take over' then ?
And how does the site become a .org ?
And what does it gain by being a .org ? it can take donations or become a charity or something ? and then what? Get a free server and database from the US government?

But Muds not willing to give the site to someone else is he?
Would he sell it then ?
#6February 17th, 2010 · 04:58 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
I'm here available in case you need/want me for mod, because I wouldn't fulfill the other 2 tasks.

> Iszil
#7February 17th, 2010 · 05:27 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
I have to say Triton, that I'm seriously impressed you've kept this going for so long... you've done a great job for no financial compensation.  And I don't think I've ever said a real "thanks" to you.  So here it is:

Thanks TK

I'm not in any postion to offer support, simply because I don't have the time - but I'd vote for Kings in a flash!  His own site demonstrates that he has the technical skills needed to back you up.  Shame that he only wants to be a mod...
Still, that would be good too.

OK, I'll leave it there

Cheers
Jim A
#8February 17th, 2010 · 06:08 PM
15 threads / 8 songs
322 posts
Sweden
I would nominate someone that is really invested in the site. Just my 0.02 cents.
#9February 17th, 2010 · 09:21 PM
76 threads / 5 songs
529 posts
Cook Islands
First of all, I think is an absolutely wonderful idea, TK. You have gone above and beyond what I thought would have happened, and for this, I think you deserve a lot of recognition. Thank you a lot, TK.

On another note,
I would absolutely love to do editorial work. I love writing more than anything. And I'm working on lots of graphic design things as well, so something like this would be very beneficial.
#10February 17th, 2010 · 10:52 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Well, the only thing I could envision doing would be serving as a moderator, but it appears you have enough candidates for that (I do check in here daily and have done so consistently ever since I first logged on). I'm afraid my time may be too limited to do much writing or editing (even though I wish I did have more time for this). I'm afraid I have no website technical skills.
#11February 18th, 2010 · 03:13 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Looks like you got some good offers already!

do we vote on who we think shoukld be the mods/editorial people/etc
#12February 18th, 2010 · 10:52 AM
15 threads / 8 songs
322 posts
Sweden
Vote
TheKunadiun wrote…
Looks like you got some good offers already!

do we vote on who we think shoukld be the mods/editorial people/etc

I think a vote would just turn into a popularity contest. I think TK should pick who he thinks is best.
#13February 18th, 2010 · 01:45 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I'll stick to what I'm best at, keeping active on bandAMP,
TK, You are an inspiration to all of us, keep up the good work.

Just pick the best people for the job, I trust your judgement 100%

bandAMP!!
#14February 18th, 2010 · 03:59 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
fais54 wrote…
I read the entire thing, and I think I would make a good moderator. I think I'm on here literally a lot of the time - so I would be able to monitor the forum a lot. Not that much drama goes down, but I wouldn't mind helping to keep things clean and things of that matter. I think I'm an unbiased, responsible person - so I would be good for this sort of thing. I'm definitely interested, get back to me please.

Cheers.

I think that people who have been around on the amp for a long time should get the job. those who have been around since it nearly started....Kings...ToastedGoat, Denis, Iszil and the list goes on and on
#15February 18th, 2010 · 04:04 PM
15 threads / 8 songs
322 posts
Sweden
TheKunadiun wrote…
fais54 wrote…

Cheers.

I think that people who have been around on the amp for a long time should get the job. those who have been around since it nearly started....Kings...ToastedGoat, Denis, Iszil and the list goes on and on

Well, its up to TK, I was just offering my help - hopefully he makes the right decisions.
1 2 3

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: May 4th, 2024 · 12:20 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.