1 2

#1April 4th, 2006 · 07:51 PM
24 threads / 9 songs
284 posts
Mexico
Can I play bandamp's song on radio?
Hey guys!

I send a message to one of the mexican radio stations who plays rock in the whole sense. I proposed to them visit BandAmp and check out the songs who all of us share. What do you think? Can I play bandamp's song on radio?

well, I hope your comments

greetings from Mexico
#2April 4th, 2006 · 08:09 PM
24 threads / 9 songs
284 posts
Mexico
cultural note
As a cultural note, in Mexico City live near to 20 million people, big audience, don't you think? well, here are just a few rock stations

For example, Netherlands have a total population of 16,335,509, Poland 38,173,835, England 49,138,831, source: http://www.geohive.com
#3April 4th, 2006 · 10:01 PM
34 threads / 16 songs
538 posts
Mexico
Hey man,

I think that should be a deal directly with the author in each case...
#4April 5th, 2006 · 12:04 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
I would not mind hearing my stuff on the radio.... But alas, I don't pick up mexico city here in Ohio....       seriously,

I would have no problem with it.... And I think many here would not mind hearing their song is being played on the radio...  As for Royalties, I know this will come up, Radio stations do not pay royalties to musicians or record companies for airplay... the music is given to the station to play, to PROMOTE the album(cd,LP,EP, WHATEVER).. This is the way it has worked for a loooong time.. so, no problems here... besides, they play here for free, so let's let millions of people in Mexico city listen on the radio... sounds cool to me!!!

Jim "Slowhand" K
#5April 5th, 2006 · 01:49 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
I don't mind either, I see it as free promotion.

However, JimK, are you sure about the airplay thing? They why do so many sleevenotes say that unauthorized public performance is strictly forbidden? Or is this for bars and clubs only?
#6April 5th, 2006 · 07:58 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
The way it works or at least used to when I was studying the law... was, that radio stations would pay the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) and Broadcast Music Inc. (BMI) a small amount... which was in essence a royalty payment to the author/performer... The recording indistry saw it as free advertising, and never got a dime... this is a win win situation... People listen to the radio, advertisers pay radio stations, people buy albums, win win win!  now... now that internet radio and streaming music is available... I am not sure what laws have changed... but in 92-94 when I was really studying this stuff, that is the way it was... and it worked well....as I see it, this is also an international multinational deal... so there are varying laws as to that... the laws I refer to are the american supreme court decisions...(various minutes go by)

Ahh.. Ok, I see that there was a change.. they are required to pay royalties for over the web play.. but still not over air play...
   so, there ya go....
                   JimK
#7April 5th, 2006 · 08:53 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
Fine idea to me, would be nice though if you get informed when your music was played(or gonna be played whatever)

Did you ever got an answer from the radiostation Dodo?

Cause i was thinkin it could be a nice radio-program or item, 1 or 2 dj's, and maybe a musical guest or 'expert', who surf on bandamp, pick/play their chosen songs and review them live on air!

I might even try it in my own country if you don't mind. I think a Dutch DJ like 'Henk Westbroek' could be possibly interested, and otherwise local stations could be.

Maybe I'm drifting a bit, but just hate the idea radio play is controlled by 'pluggers', I (we) tried to get some projects played a few times, never succeeded though cause we didn't have the famous name or money to promote it yet...

Good luck with it!
#8April 5th, 2006 · 12:12 PM
24 threads / 9 songs
284 posts
Mexico
well, by the moment, unfortunatelly I didn't got an answer of the radio station. But, the Idea of MaxdB, turns my point of view in this way,  we can make a web radio program like a Podcast. we can open a discussion with the best of the moment, and a few of us (comissionates) record the program, the comission could change in every program.

I will like to interview to one of us
#9April 5th, 2006 · 12:22 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
wow...

This is getting interesting.....

This could turn into something.. and maybe put Bandamp, and it's users on the map..

It may turn into something Mud doesn't want it to though.... so all of this should be coordinated through Mud... otherwise, we would have to drop the Bandamp aspect of it.. and just do an independent Music Podcast... although Having an established website like this is a great plus.... So it will be in Mud's hands.. as for the podcast, I am sure there are plenty on here who can handle drumming up that... and Dodosito has volunteered to be an interviewer, I am sure other's would be willing to host, and be interviewed... or, if it goes through Bandamp, Mud could do the interviewing on some, or whatever... but this is a great idea.....
#10April 5th, 2006 · 12:25 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
PuppetXeno wrote…
I don't mind either, I see it as free promotion.

However, JimK, are you sure about the airplay thing? They why do so many sleevenotes say that unauthorized public performance is strictly forbidden? Or is this for bars and clubs only?

Sorry, I forgot to post the answer to this question, The KEY words on that note is UNAUTHORIZED, The recording companies send the music to the Radio Station... They do not buy it... it is GIVEN to them....  I have somewhere a bunch of old records I got from recording companies back when....  anyway.. that is how they get airplay...

It is very interesting... and I wish we could get our stuff on the radio... that would be AWESOME......
#11April 5th, 2006 · 03:31 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
population? transmit this in china hehe

but a nice idea. you have my benediction (correct word?)
#12April 5th, 2006 · 08:18 PM
13 threads / 12 songs
149 posts
United States of America
songwriter royalties
I happen to work with the brother of songwriter Aaron barker (baby blue-George Strait and many more hits)he does in fact get royalty checks for every song that he wrote if it is played on U.S.radio station,that is according to my source (his brother).Of course their are different contracts and royalties offered to songwriters.So I suggest use discretion.
#13April 5th, 2006 · 08:24 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
re: songwriter royalties
newmextex wrote…
I happen to work with the brother of songwriter Aaron barker (baby blue-George Strait and many more hits)he does in fact get royalty checks for every song that he wrote if it is played on U.S.radio station,that is according to my source (his brother).Of course their are different contracts and royalties offered to songwriters.So I suggest use discretion.

Right,  Check this:
JimkDaAdtman wrote…
The way it works or at least used to when I was studying the law... was, that radio stations would pay the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) and Broadcast Music Inc. (BMI) a small amount... which was in essence a royalty payment to the author/performer... The recording indistry saw it as free advertising, and never got a dime... this is a win win situation..

They pay a lump sum payment to associations like BMI, and they pay royalty checks to the authors, but Radio stations are not required to pay royalties for airplay, and they don't pay really anything.. the Recording companies will issue a check also alot of times for the author if it is making it to radio...
#14April 5th, 2006 · 08:48 PM
24 threads / 9 songs
284 posts
Mexico
this is controversial, so let Mud make a choise. the fact to play a song in the mexican radio is far to be.

so, I apollogize if someone in there take in a bad way my suggestion. All we have our songs with the freedom to download each one. The payment of royalties, or other issues related to the property rights is no discussed by me. Everyone can do his bussiness with anything, I don't care about that. I  write/play/record/upload songs not to get rich, check mi post in
http://forum.bandamp.com/Music_Theory/17835.html

I want to share my work, learn of us, know about us.

In my opinion, the Podcast could be a nice project. So I will suggest this to Mud,
#15April 6th, 2006 · 06:50 AM
48 threads / 41 songs
144 posts
New Zealand
The stations pay ASCAP a pretty large monthly fee, along with a detailed listing of every song they've played on the radio for every day of that month. Every single commercial song is registered with ASCAP and they then divvy the money out in proportions relative to how much air play the artist of band received.

Artists definitely get money from air play.

- Chester
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 8:02 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.