1 2 3

#1February 25th, 2006 · 12:13 PM
29 threads / 14 songs
355 posts
Poland
MUSIC vs PERSONALITY
THE QUESTION: do you think the music we create can reflect our personality?

musicians - do they show their entire selves each time they create some piece of music?

do you think that the music we wirte is the reflection of the features of your character, or just your feelings? Possibly both, but to what extend?

If u hear a piece of music - would u be able to quess any features of someone's character? If so, what would would you base your opinion on? what would be the thing that would unveil the writer's character? What could you find in someone's music - whether (s)he is a muture/immature person, with/without issues, high strung/relaxed, easy-going, etc.

And why most people who create music, do not create the same type of music they listen to?

Are there any theories on that, I wonder?
What do u think? Any examples maybe? While listening to sth - do you think about what the writer is like?

Jim
#2February 25th, 2006 · 12:21 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
I think lyrics reflex our state of mood.

> Iszil
#3February 25th, 2006 · 04:17 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
The music we write is the reflection of ourselves, where as the music we listen to is the reflection of our escape. We listen to music that changes the way we feel... that makes us feel like someone different... The attitude we are facing at this time in our life will cause the style of music we listen to to change, but we almost never listen to the style of music we create because it is too close to what we are...  though the music we listen to ALWAYS influences our music....   now there are exceptions to this rule...   Those with narrow windows of observation are going to create a music more in line with their listening style, in other words, if they are VERY into Heavy Metal and that is all they are really into, then they are going to create a similar music, but there are varying styles even to heavy metal, in all there are about 25 different styles of heavy metal on the radio at this time... this includes old school (megadeth,iron maiden).. to take me for instance, I listen to such a HUGE variety of music, that I am more open to a wider variety of creativity..  To look at my music, I believe you will see me, crazy, weird, with a sense of humor, and a softer, sensitive, sincere side as well.....   as for the styles I listen too, well, I listen mostly to Nickel Creek, Country(Alan Jackson, George Strait, George Jones, Keith Urban) as well as Simon and Garfunkel, Peter Frampton, Doobie Brothers, Dixie Chicks, Dylan, Metallica, Megadeth, Ozzy Osbourne, Dio,Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Depeche Mode, Yes, Doors, Cars, Barenaked Ladies,T-bone, Mercy Me, Beethoven, Bach(Johann Sebastien), Tchaikovsky... so you get the idea...   These are the types I listen to EVERY DAY... My MP3 player is crammed full, and ever changing...  so, my attitude changes frequently throughout the day...  and so I have the music to soothe me...   The reason I laid out the list of artists, instead of Genre is to show that even within one genre, there are many styles to that genre, and to show the complexity of moods within one day.....
          I hope this isn't too long.....  
                          JimK
#4February 25th, 2006 · 04:25 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
I'm quite sure that when you create music, you're putting a large part of your entirety into it, unless you want to create music in conformity to rules and theories and techniques and methods that were learnt by you and have little to do with your personal creativity. Still, the rules and theories and techniques and methods that you'd choose to apply are indeed - a personal choice... so even then there will be a touch of your personality seeping through... and that's just one radical example of when your personality wouldn't enter your work so much...

The closer you get to unbound creativity, the more of your personality is making it to record... But one could always derive atleast something of a psychological profile from any artist's work... That is what I believe... Or maybe I am a social retard... Which might be the case...
#5February 25th, 2006 · 05:43 PM
29 threads / 14 songs
355 posts
Poland
I donot feel that u r a social retard, PX. On the contrary.

Would it be possible to come up with some sort of list that would name all personality features reflected in music, e.g. when u compose sth melodic and easy to whistle - does that show you have some distinctive qualities to your character?

Or when you write sth strange and difficult to digest - does that prove that u r a somewhat difficult to deal with a person? Does that show anything at all?
#6February 26th, 2006 · 02:36 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
The question is: Why the hell do I record my music and why do I want other people take part of this?

1. the first answer could be: I want to make money. Or everyone who is involved into someones music wants to make money. money money money

2. the second and simpliest answer could be (and this is MY personal conviction): it makes me happy to lead the listener into the mood when the music was created for the first time

An intelligent brain can see the difference between these two ways of music (pop and art)

I deeply believe that music shows the personality of the musician. a kind of naked exhibition.
#7February 28th, 2006 · 08:26 PM
102 threads / 59 songs
204 posts
Canada
I think the music we write is a reflection of something we want to externalize. I believe that ideas exist metaphysically and can only be cemented into the physical world through some sort of medium which is in this case music. However, I believe that there is a loss that occurs in converting something that does not exist as sound or light or words into something else and in that respect all art is flawed in that it will never 100% express the true idea that the artist intended whether he knows it or not. Thus I believe that the music we create is a reflection of our personalities because it is a reflection of our ideals. One doesn't tend to write a serious essay on lint or plastic because these things are not of importance to them. Love, life, trouble, pain, ecstacy... these are things that are common to every person and ironically they are the exact thing that we as artists seem to always strive to express even though there really doesn't seem to be a need because so many better artists have done it already. But, we do. This is a strange question as to why we create art, I really liked the opinion I heard in a movie called "Shadowlands" about C.S. Lewis who said, "we read to know we're not alone", similarly, I believe we create to know we're not alone and we showcase that work to know that someone agrees and know that we are not alone. Moreover, I think a person puts himself entirely into whatever he creates. However, I think that one could create the best art if he was capable of removing himself and observing the world unbiased. This is nearly imposible and requires an understanding of oneself that I think is defined in Buddhism as Nirvana. However, I feel that this is the one true path of the artist. We put ourselves into our creations in order to observe ourselves externally in order to better understand ourselves so that we can begin to deconstruct ourselves and achieve an understanding of ourself and our consciousness that will eventually lead us to Nirvana. Good luck.
#8February 28th, 2006 · 10:41 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
DTF wrote…
I think the music we write is a reflection of something we want to externalize. I believe that ideas exist metaphysically and can only be cemented into the physical world through some sort of medium which is in this case music. However, I believe that there is a loss that occurs in converting something that does not exist as sound or light or words into something else and in that respect all art is flawed in that it will never 100% express the true idea that the artist intended whether he knows it or not. Thus I believe that the music we create is a reflection of our personalities because it is a reflection of our ideals. One doesn't tend to write a serious essay on lint or plastic because these things are not of importance to them.

Well, I tend to disagree here...  only in the fact that I believe even a song about lint tells something about the character of that person... If you listen to the music of Steve Martin, or Adam Sandler... These are Comedic musicians.. but artists the same... The song by Adam Sandler "Red Hodded Sweatshirt" was in fact a fantastic piece of work... Very well done, and shows his personality...  He is a clown, it is not just what he does, but is who he is...  He has a hard time being serious... He can, he chooses not too, and we can tell that by his work...  Steve Martin on the other hand, his stuff is out there.. it is complicated and funny, and serious....  He has written more than just the comedy stuff you are used to, and he is one of the top banjo players in the world.. So, to say one doesn't write a serious essay or song about lint or plastic is to generalize that noone finds lint or plastic interesting... but I find lint Very fascinating, and might write a song about it.....  I'll put it on here...     
#9March 1st, 2006 · 01:54 AM
102 threads / 59 songs
204 posts
Canada
JimkDaAdtman wrote…
DTF wrote…
I think the music we write is a reflection of something we want to externalize. I believe that ideas exist metaphysically and can only be cemented into the physical world through some sort of medium which is in this case music. However, I believe that there is a loss that occurs in converting something that does not exist as sound or light or words into something else and in that respect all art is flawed in that it will never 100% express the true idea that the artist intended whether he knows it or not. Thus I believe that the music we create is a reflection of our personalities because it is a reflection of our ideals. One doesn't tend to write a serious essay on lint or plastic because these things are not of importance to them.

Well, I tend to disagree here...  only in the fact that I believe even a song about lint tells something about the character of that person... If you listen to the music of Steve Martin, or Adam Sandler... These are Comedic musicians.. but artists the same... The song by Adam Sandler "Red Hodded Sweatshirt" was in fact a fantastic piece of work... Very well done, and shows his personality...  He is a clown, it is not just what he does, but is who he is...  He has a hard time being serious... He can, he chooses not too, and we can tell that by his work...  Steve Martin on the other hand, his stuff is out there.. it is complicated and funny, and serious....  He has written more than just the comedy stuff you are used to, and he is one of the top banjo players in the world.. So, to say one doesn't write a serious essay or song about lint or plastic is to generalize that noone finds lint or plastic interesting... but I find lint Very fascinating, and might write a song about it.....  I'll put it on here...      :D

I don't really know how to quote so I hope this works.

You raise a good point and so I apologize and will try and refine my arguement. Firstly, I wrote that one doesn't tend to write a song about these things. This does not mean that songs about lint don't exist, I actually heard one two nights ago specifically about lint which was what prompted that specific example, but I think that when a person does create a song about lint it is either for the same reasons he writes a love song, or more likely out of a desire to get a laugh. In that case, the song is valid and meaningful as JimkDaAdtman said it characterizes the artist as a clown or a joker or whatever, but in that case the purpose of creating that piece was not to express an idea about lint but to use lint as a medium for self expression (this is definately reading too far into the idea though). In that case, the song isn't really about lint or plastic but about the character of the artist and holds to the usual themes that are everpresent in art and cultural expressions.
#10March 1st, 2006 · 04:07 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
well, what is or is not about music vs. personality is something that, IMO, boils down to this... um... well...

I hate to repeat myself, so: http://forum.bandamp.com/The_Pit/3917_page5.html

So, in short, the brain is a pretty physical thing and everything that happens in it are physical electrochemical processes, and music is vibrations through air (or other material) and this affects the human body physically, in ways of molecular vibrations, and these ought to have an effect on the brain - thus the processes in it. And so an artist would probably create music which has an effect of preference on his/her own brain, hereby enclosing his/her personality.

As far as personality analysis goes... There are literally millions of ways of doing this and none of them are 100% accurate... In fact, it's more like the "established science" version of the ol' horoscope at best, so there ya go.

Sorry to be brief about this at the moment, but I don't have the time to write an academic paper on this issue, which I assure you, I am capable of.
#11March 1st, 2006 · 04:19 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
This doesn't mean I don't like this discussion, in fact I love it!
#12March 7th, 2006 · 01:30 PM
24 threads / 9 songs
284 posts
Mexico
well, this is my response

First. My personality is a mix of sounds, ideas, theories, pictures, moments, etc... and I express just  only the part pertaining to my state of spirit. In my music, sometimes are moments, ideas or a mix of all. I try to say something but the  way  in which is interpreted varies accord every person.

Second. I like to hear new music, that is my style. And sometimes I take a part, and I reproduced it in my songs.

Third. I dont want to make money making songs. To me, its only to share my feelings. 

Fourth: Here  I have known great musicians, new people from other latitudes, generally good people who wants to share the same: MUSIC.
#13March 10th, 2006 · 07:52 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
music begins where words end, so to rationalize music will be hard i believe.
The best thing i found was :  sound as you are, be honest in that, so you dont fool yourself and others

Of course i realize that people act a lot in life, so they might in music too.
At that point there is not much to discover about the persons character.

Also i believe a character is such a complex thing, you'd need a lot of albums to show all ins and outs, not to speak about the development of a person's character.

About emotions and sharing them.., that's whats music about to me
So i think you need a personality to make music(or other arts), but to get a personality out of a work, you really could go wrong there, you'd never know what you missed.

for instance: I listened to songs from JBP..., his music sounds intelligent, perfectly played and mixed, it's neat, not wild music with very sweet intention
So should that mean JBP is a softie or a nerd or something???

I'm sure he is intelligent, he plays and mixes well, probably a very neat guy with some sweet touch in his character..., but I bet he gets angry now and then, maybe never writes his mother, maybe kicked little doggies in the dark and what else we dont know about him, bc it isn't the song???

Hope i'm not missing the point here.., but this is my opinion.
 And to me.. whats the importance of it?

Except for this interesting discussion btw(which is going far above my head anyway)
#14March 10th, 2006 · 06:41 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
I really think people are missing the true point of the question...It is not so much a discussion of music and the philosophy of life...   But, more just can one really catch a glimpse of the writer from the song...  I wholeheartedly believe you can, and do...

I am thinking more and more though that this is something only people open to it are going to be able to do... that not everyone can, because they actually don't want to...or at least subconsciously don't want to...

I dunno... maybe I am weird...  Oh wait, I am... hehehe

JimK
#15March 10th, 2006 · 07:11 PM
29 threads / 14 songs
355 posts
Poland
MaxdB wrote…
Also i believe a character is such a complex thing, you'd need a lot of albums to show all ins and outs, not to speak about the development of a person's character.

isn't that why you normally get differently composed and differently sounding albums from the same artists? we all change, and I initially meant what JimK has written above.

And I don't think i am a softie, but I am a gentle person I guess. So you might have got some opints right there! (i have not found it offensive at all, so don't worry )
1 2 3

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 23rd, 2024 · 4:51 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.