1 2 3

#1January 24th, 2009 · 12:30 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
New site genres
This is touchy, as I've discovered with some previous posts... however, I think it can be a good thing, when carefully implemented:

I want a list of **25** genres from anybody who cares to reply.  Remember, 25.  Consider it your vote for which genres should be included.

Things you should know: I'm going to allow for each project to have up to 3 genres associated with it.  (This applies to songs, lyrics, videos, whatever media types we have.)  Since each project can have 3, don't list things like "alternative rock".  It makes far more sense to tag your music(/whatever) with the 2 separate "alternative" and "rock" genres.  Make sense?  I **WILL NOT** include doubly-named genres which can otherwise be broken up into 2 obvious smaller ones.

So.  Suggest away.  I'm literally interested in averages and what YOU GUYS are interested in.  Your suggestions are shaping the New AMP.

Thanks in advance!
Tim
#2January 24th, 2009 · 01:46 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
hmm
Is this what you mean?
Hard Rock
Electronica
Metal
Blues
Rap
Folk
Pop
Punk
Industrial
Experimental
Progressive
Acoustic
Acapella
Classical
New age/Sound scapes
Rock
Multicultural(as in other language and musical traditons)
Hip Hop
Covers
Jams
Indie

dunno what else..Hope thats what you mean!
If not sorry misunderstood..
M!
#3January 24th, 2009 · 02:15 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
You understood perfectly   Thanks!
#4January 24th, 2009 · 02:42 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
hey
Let me ask this, will there be a separate place for unfinished/collaboration pieces?  If not, perhaps, then we combine Hard rock and Rock, and add Collab/unfinished  This would allow for easier searching through for potential collabs... 

What do you think?
#5January 24th, 2009 · 06:17 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
re: hey
JimkDaAdtman wrote…
Let me ask this, will there be a separate place for unfinished/collaboration pieces?  If not, perhaps, then we combine Hard rock and Rock, and add Collab/unfinished  This would allow for easier searching through for potential collabs... 

What do you think?
Jim if you check this screen shot of Tims upgrade : http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/1595/newforumme8.jpg you'll see there are 3 categories to upload / assign your songs to.

Tim: M seams to have given most of the possible genres , though Hard Rock and New Age are double barrelled  

[edit] And Noodles ?
What is Experimental ?
#6January 24th, 2009 · 06:31 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
/agree with Marino

apart from Multicultural which I would like to call

World

and

New Age
Soundscape

being seperate, because there is Soundscape music that definately isn't New Age.

Although some things listed by Marino I would not describe as typical genres.. like Covers, Indie, and Jams, I do see the logic behind it - for Cover and Indie mostly, that is... am going to list those aswell. Jams however can be in any existing genre and the song description would state whether it was a jam or not.

I wouldn't want to call "Collab" a genre though, but a specific "Collab" section of the new BandAMP I certainly do support.

I'd also like to see a way of tagging music as having a "dark" flavor to it, aswell as tagging something that is definately "worship" music (so I can avoid )

So my list would be

Hard Rock
Electronica
Metal
Blues
Rap
Folk
Pop
Punk
Industrial
Experimental
Progressive
Acoustic
A Capella
Classical
New Age
Soundscape
Rock
World
Hip Hop
Cover
Dark (p.e. Gothic would be Dark Rock.. or Dark Punk.. or Dark Wave)
Wave
Psychedelic
Noise
Indie
Worship

ps. some genres, when combined with other genres, should be listed in front of other genres... Like if a song was tagged Pop and Punk, it should be listed as Punk Pop because Pop Punk sounds weird. Punk Rock sounds good but Rock Punk sounds weird.
#7January 24th, 2009 · 06:59 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
And Light ?
And Light music? ..... something like Muzak , lift and mall music (which I have heard on the Amp)

Worship music aaaaaaaaaaa ENG!

[edit] Should be called Weak and Feeble People Music any way !
#8January 24th, 2009 · 10:29 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
lol..Kings!!
Yah looks good PX.....
I knew there was another word for multicultural,but couldn't think of the name for the life of me..I guess that happens..lol!!!!
#9January 24th, 2009 · 11:18 AM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
Why does Rock get like 3 categories and electronica gets only one? There are many more types of electronica than there is rock? BOOOOO!!!! I feel discriminated against! jk!
#10January 24th, 2009 · 11:20 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
I though about that,wasn't sure how to break it down...
I know D and B is a must but not sure how else to break it down......maybe you can elaborate minds...
#11January 24th, 2009 · 11:28 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Listen to my "Für die Kinder..."
I am sorry, but I can't find a fitting genre
#12January 24th, 2009 · 11:43 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Childrens?
#13January 24th, 2009 · 12:12 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
LOL!!!

The many different sub genres will be possible with the 'double genre' function eg,
New-wave - Electronic,
New-Wave - Pop,
Electronic - Punk,
Progressive - Pop,
Progressive - Electronic ,
New-Wave - Punk
etc etc

I dont know how you solve the problem of which word comes first !
#14January 24th, 2009 · 12:50 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
TritonKeyboarder wrote…

Maybe World Pop? I think that makes sense - as the sense of "world" is related to Cultures, cultural values and traditions, not necessarily exotic cultures. As the song has a definite humanist moral message, which is a cultural value, it would classify as "World" (worldly) and Pop (measured by orchestration). I managed to DO find a fitting genre.

And about Electronic...

Ofcourse Techno is a type of electronic, but not all electronic is techno.

There's Electronic Rock, Electronic Pop (think some Kraftwerk), Dark Electronic, Industrial Electronic..

Maybe the genre idea should be split up in Main, Sub- and Root- genres. Like Root-genres would relate to the type of orchestration involved, or the overall "flavor", the initial "approach" thereof. Such as "Dark", "Light", "Synth", "Heavy", "Speed", "Slow", "Hard", "Soft", "Psychedelic", "World", "Worship" (there it is again..) ... Main genres would be "Rock", "Pop", "Wave", "Funk", "Metal", "Techno" and Sub genres would be a secondary genre like the Main genre or something. But that will make stuff so complicated...! And there will always be exceptions that wont fit in any system... So we have to keep it simple..
#15January 24th, 2009 · 04:15 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Marino wrote…
........but couldn't think of the name for the life of me..I guess that happens..lol!!!!
Stoned again M! tut tut tut! 
1 2 3

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 4:54 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.