#1December 12th, 2006 · 10:20 AM
1 threads
4 posts
United Kingdom
Looper Pedals
Hello, I'm new to this forum, so sorry if something similar to this has already been posted.

I'm thinking of buying a looper pedal, I think Digitech Jamman's are possibly the best, but I cannot find much information about the Boss or Akai Loopers, I doubt they're better than the Jamman, but I don't yet know.

Anyone with any experience with any of these pedals, or loopers in general please?

I would also like to know how long individual loops can be (seconds), for any of these pedals.

Thanks, Ross.
#2December 12th, 2006 · 11:21 AM
77 threads / 31 songs
353 posts
Norway
have you tried this: http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/index.html
I'm not familiar with Akai, but I know that DigiTech are good.
#3December 12th, 2006 · 11:54 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Hmmm, Akai does not produce loop samplers for guitarists, afaik,

The Jamman and the Boss RC-20XL are of equal functionality, except that the Jamman has 24 minutes of recording time, and the Boss only 16. Plus, the Boss can save 11 loops while the Jamman goes up to 99, both have undo, reverse and time stretch options, so the rest is just the brand name and the price tag.

Oh and, neither has MIDI capability! And that's bad. I am a great fan of loop stations - I have the Boss RC-50, and use it live. It has a bit of learning curve, especially to find out how to actually make that MIDI sync work like it should, for that was not too obvious. It's fully customizable - you can give the onboard buttons different functions, and you can plug in up to 4 extra footswitches, or 2 foot switches and 1 expression pedal. It has up to 48 minutes recording time (in mono), and has 3 independant loop phrases, independantly I/O switch- and reversible.

But if you're not looking for MIDI, I guess the two options are the Jamman and the RC-20XL - with the Jamman having more storage.

And now, for some blatant spamming:
http://forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/3584.html
http://forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/3465.html

These two songs were created with my guitar hooked to the RC-50. The first one is me doing my thing live onstage (all guitar parts are live recorded into the loop station) and the second is a one-take studio thing (the instrumental part).

#4December 14th, 2006 · 04:47 AM
1 threads
4 posts
United Kingdom
Thanks to both of you. I think the Akai (headrush two I believe) is more of a delay pedal, which happens to have looping capabilities.
I think I will go for the Digitech, with replacable CF cards and USB connection and then loads of looping time, I think it is the 'better' option.
But yeah, all those links were useful too (liked the tracks, good example of looping too). Just interested, can you pitch modulate loops, for say a mod or a chorus, in real time? Thanks again - Ross
#5December 14th, 2006 · 09:16 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
no, loop pedals do not come with inbuilt effects, except the "reverse" option. the time stretch option is pretty cool though. you can record a loop at one tempo, and as you speed up (or down) the tempo during playback, the riff will follow the tempo without changing pitch.

anyway, if you record a part and overdub the same part a couple of times, it will be like a "doubler" effect, except not as a modulation effect, but for real (layered recording style). this will give a very full and fat sounding tone, pitch modulation not required, really
#6December 28th, 2006 · 07:12 AM
1 posts
United Kingdom
I have just bought a Boss RC 20 XL and was previously using the Akai Headrush.
The pure physicality of the headrush was lovely - literally a stomp box also worked fine for me for years.
I bought the Boss because it can run on batteries and I'm taking it to Mali so no cares for mains adaptors
Not quite as east to loop with but that may simply be a difference in operation .
What I want to know is how to work with loops of different lengths - I want to make a percussion loop of 4 bars but a guitar loop of 16 bars for instance any ideas anyone

Love and greetings to all
#7December 28th, 2006 · 05:33 PM
1 threads
4 posts
United Kingdom
Hey, I got a Jamman in the end, it's pretty amazing, great quality and didn't take toolong to get used to! Thanks again for the advice, I suppose my mind was set on the Jamman anyway! Yeah, the Jamman does not take batteries, but I already have many acoustic guitars that eat through 9v's so I'm not too fussed.

In answer to tim, I don't really know a proper solution, but if there is no other, might be a case to just play the same percussion 4 times...or get two loopers and...okay, so I can't really help you there, sorry!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 2:29 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.