1 2
#16April 5th, 2009 · 04:49 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TheKunadiun wrote…
Washburn acoustics are very nice!

Yes the quality and what type of wood it is is very important. some wood just sound better with age, while some sound best brand new.

I'm gonna try out the Washburn, my cousin has one, said plays well plugged in, not good acoustically, it's about tweny years old, a big white one lol. I'm gonna try out a few guitars next week.

Cheers
#17April 6th, 2009 · 06:32 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
cool. yeah try out as many as you can. dont settle for anything.
#18April 8th, 2009 · 02:37 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Tried out a Tanglewood
Yeah, I went to a guitar shop and tried out a top of the range Tanglewood acoustic, all the guys in this shop who are guitarists raved on about them, cost about £450 Stirling.  Well tell you the truth I was utterly disappointed, it was nowhere as good as my trusty Eko Ranger V1 acoustic [it's about 30 years old ]. Could be my guitar has matured, even though it's gotta laminated top, must be bl**dy good laminate lol.

So now I've decided not to waist my money on an acoustic, but I'm gonna look at a Gibson 335 semi-acoustic copy tomorrow. There's a new brand called Rally, they come out the same factory as Epiphones. I'm gonna try a fat semi hollow body too for laugh, seeing as I play a bit of the ol' Jazz.

Any suggestions on left handed semi's would help

Cheers
#19April 8th, 2009 · 05:32 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
hell yes I love semi hollow body electrics.. I started out on a Gibson ES 345. I traded it for a Les Paul, dumbest thing I ever did with guitar trades.
#20April 9th, 2009 · 03:12 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
toastedgoat wrote…
hell yes I love semi hollow body electrics.. I started out on a Gibson ES 345. I traded it for a Les Paul, dumbest thing I ever did with guitar trades.

Hey Greg this is what I'm gonna take a look at today.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=190299685925

I'm quite excited, the shop I'm going to sells them for £249.00 Stirling, they also do  two fat body's varying in body thickness both priced at £349.00 Stirling, looking at the spec, anything similar costs at least twice the price.  This guitar manufacturer cannot launch their website yet due to legal reasons and have a basic site via another site. The link above say that it's their biggest selling brand, I have a good feeling about this guitar, I'm getting in now before the brand goes mental, well at least that's my gut feeling.

The shop I'm going to also have an Eastman left handed Gibson ES335 copy, which costs £1,099.00, I'm going to compare them both.  It will be interesting.

Denis
#21April 9th, 2009 · 01:30 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
looks like a plan man!
#22April 9th, 2009 · 04:38 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I've bought a Jazz guitar
Here it is
http://musicalbits.com/Rally-Blue-Harlem-16-5-Jazz-Guitar_ANHFC.aspx

I've uploaded a Jazz jam called 'Rally Jazz' if you wanna here the sound.
http://forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/7231.html

Cheers

Denis
#23April 9th, 2009 · 06:47 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
oh sweet so you bought it? excellent looks great. ill go on over and have a listen right now.
#24April 9th, 2009 · 11:32 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
very nice.  if you don't like the tone.. but love the way it plays.. try different pup. and caps.
#25April 10th, 2009 · 03:46 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
toastedgoat wrote…
very nice.  if you don't like the tone.. but love the way it plays.. try different pup. and caps.

Yeah, put it through my pod, used a line6 blues make up, on the a standard settings which automatically set the eq, I could hear noise, when I touched the pick up or sleeve of the lead, the pod case and the case of my workstation the sound went. Could be a bad earth? anyway once reduced the middle and treble, the noise almost disappeared, the recording I put up on the AMP was with the treble and mids reduced.  I have a feeling that the pick ups are specifically for jazz, hence the noise when the treble and mids are boosted.

When I tried out the guitar in the shop I could not hear any noise, played it through a small AMP.

I think the tone is nice with the current pup's, although I did notice that the tone controls do not alter the tone very well, there is a big difference between 0 - 2 and hardly if any at all between 2 - 10; the neck too plays easy too.  I'm no expert, but I think the guitar is great value.

It appears to be already pro set up, the intonation, pup's and action are all OK.
#26April 10th, 2009 · 05:37 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Denis wrote…
I think the tone is nice with the current pup's, although I did notice that the tone controls do not alter the tone very well, there is a big difference between 0 - 2 and hardly if any at all between 2 - 10; the neck too plays easy too.  I'm no expert, but I think the guitar is great value.

It appears to be already pro set up, the intonation, pup's and action are all OK.

check what the tone pots are.. and the caps. the bigger pots ## like 500k up to a 1 meg send less treble to ground but also have less response from about 4 on up to 10 .. most of the tone is in the first 1/4 turn.

they do make long throw ( I think that is what they are called) pots  that some people like to use.
1 2
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 4:23 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.