1 2

#1March 28th, 2009 · 03:14 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Acoustic cutaway guitars L/H
I'm considering purchasing a left-handed cutaway acoustic guitar.  I'm so out of touch, there are so many makes to choose from and the prices vary between £60 to an amazing £10,000 plus.

The question is how much do I need to spend to get a reasonable guitar. In my younger days, about 30 years ago, Washburn were regarded good electro acoustics for the money. Also Yamaha??

Also why do they vary so much for the money, does it make that much difference to the tone?

It doesn't need to be electro acoustic, but it would be nice to have a guitar that plays both acoustic and electric well.

Cheers

Denis
#2March 28th, 2009 · 06:36 PM
102 threads / 59 songs
204 posts
Canada
I don't know if they still make them or if they make them left handed but I've been extremely happy with my yamaha acoustic electric. I think I've had it for something like 8 years. It's an APX-7A and it's a bit undersized which makes it very playable but still has a nice tone. I think it cost between $400-$500 Canadian. It's not the best if you want real electric sound and quality but if you just want to be heard and sound acoustic it's usually pretty good. Depending on what your willing to spend I'm sure you could get something better for even the same price and what I bought mine for. In short, I recommend a yamaha if you just want something that'll sound good and be playable. Ovations are really nice as well but I could never stand the rounded back, it made them too hard to play without a strap.

It's usually very hard to find a cutaway that isn't electric, sometimes you can find classical ones though, but I'll bet it's going to be a lot harder to find a left handed one. A lot of higher end acoustic electrics have better pickups but don't vary much on their acoustic quality.

Anyways that's my suggestion. Happy hunting.
#3March 29th, 2009 · 04:54 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
DTF wrote…
I don't know if they still make them or if they make them left handed but I've been extremely happy with my yamaha acoustic electric. I think I've had it for something like 8 years. It's an APX-7A and it's a bit undersized which makes it very playable but still has a nice tone. I think it cost between $400-$500 Canadian. It's not the best if you want real electric sound and quality but if you just want to be heard and sound acoustic it's usually pretty good. Depending on what your willing to spend I'm sure you could get something better for even the same price and what I bought mine for. In short, I recommend a yamaha if you just want something that'll sound good and be playable. Ovations are really nice as well but I could never stand the rounded back, it made them too hard to play without a strap.

It's usually very hard to find a cutaway that isn't electric, sometimes you can find classical ones though, but I'll bet it's going to be a lot harder to find a left handed one. A lot of higher end acoustic electrics have better pickups but don't vary much on their acoustic quality.

Anyways that's my suggestion. Happy hunting.

I checked out the Yamaha, reviews seem pretty good, although I don't know if you can get the l/h?, I've seen similar ones on ebay, which I assume have replaced the APX-7A.  I think Ovations are only good electronically, but I'm not sure.  I came across one thread in which the owner replaced the pick-ups, this is an option I would consider, if it meant I could buy a relatively cheap guitar and upgrade the pick-ups.  I will only be using it to record.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Denis
#4March 29th, 2009 · 06:52 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Ibanez EW20
http://www.dv247.com/invt/48364/

This one has good reviews, anyone had any hands on experience?

Cheers

Denis
#5March 29th, 2009 · 06:58 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Not got any experience of the Ibanez guitar Denis - but on Friday I went with a friend from work to look for a new (relatively cheap) electro acoustic.
We played a fair few guitars, but the one that we settled on (and that he bought) was a Takamine (it may have been an EG10 or something similar, but don't remember exactly which one).  They had a left hand version there too.  Very playable - lovely sound both acoustic and amplified.  It cost just under £300.
Hope you find what you want
Cheers
Jim
#6March 30th, 2009 · 10:04 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Jiminuk wrote…
Not got any experience of the Ibanez guitar Denis - but on Friday I went with a friend from work to look for a new (relatively cheap) electro acoustic.
We played a fair few guitars, but the one that we settled on (and that he bought) was a Takamine (it may have been an EG10 or something similar, but don't remember exactly which one).  They had a left hand version there too.  Very playable - lovely sound both acoustic and amplified.  It cost just under £300.
Hope you find what you want
Cheers
Jim

Thanks Jim, I will consider this model, went on google and a lot of studio based people use Martin D18, a lot more money and it's not a cutaway and not elctronic, but thinking about it I'd only be using it for studio use.
Also checked out ebay and there's a very nice takermine which has cedar top and solid mahogany sides, looking at the reviews the tone of this model will suit my style of plyaing.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Takamine-EN-10C-Left-handed-guitar-electro-acoustic_W0QQitemZ160324110469QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item160324110469&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
This is top of the list so far, Takermine also do a newer version, but we are talking £685.00 new, I may consider that too.

Cheers

Denis
#7March 30th, 2009 · 12:05 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I just sold my Ibanez acoustic electric.. what I liked about it.. the electronics.. very nice Fishman factory set up.

My favorite acoustic electric was my Alvarez (sp) yari.. This guitar was great sounding , both just in the room and electronically too.  It was by far one of the best playing acoustics I've ever owned.. 

In the early 90's I had a takermine acoustic ,, it was a great playing guitar but the tone was dark, very mellow sounding it recorded with a dark sound . not what I was looking for at the time, so I sold it. it did play very will though..

Right now I have a rebuilt Silvercreek (known for violins and cellos) that is probably the best playing acoustic I have ever owned.. It doesn't have electronics in it .. I plan on putting a L.R. Baggs kit in it though.

http://www.lrbaggs.com/html/products/products_pickups.shtml

I figure I have the acoustic that plays great, I just need to put the electronics to it. L.R.Baggs is considered a very quality set up.

I don't think you would go wrong with the Takermine guitar , one thing to note is that some guitar manufacturers contract their work out on their cheaper guitars (samick gets a lot of work this way).
Sometimes the quality is not what you would think it should be from a guitar wearing a certain name.
#8March 30th, 2009 · 02:33 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
toastedgoat wrote…
I just sold my Ibanez acoustic electric.. what I liked about it.. the electronics.. very nice Fishman factory set up.

My favorite acoustic electric was my Alvarez (sp) yari.. This guitar was great sounding , both just in the room and electronically too.  It was by far one of the best playing acoustics I've ever owned.. 

In the early 90's I had a takermine acoustic ,, it was a great playing guitar but the tone was dark, very mellow sounding it recorded with a dark sound . not what I was looking for at the time, so I sold it. it did play very will though..

Right now I have a rebuilt Silvercreek (known for violins and cellos) that is probably the best playing acoustic I have ever owned.. It doesn't have electronics in it .. I plan on putting a L.R. Baggs kit in it though.

I figure I have the acoustic that plays great, I just need to put the electronics to it. L.R.Baggs is considered a very quality set up.

I don't think you would go wrong with the Takermine guitar , one thing to note is that some guitar manufacturers contract their work out on their cheaper guitars (samick gets a lot of work this way).
Sometimes the quality is not what you would think it should be from a guitar wearing a certain name.

Interesting what you said about the Takermine, perhaps the have improved a lot since the early 90's
The difficulty I have is that I'm left handed, I can't just go into a shop and find loads of lefties to try out, so I'm very dependent on reviews and as expected they do vary a lot. There's a place in London called 'Tottenham Court Road', that has loads of Musical instrument shops, I think I'll take a trip down there, hopefully I'll be able to try some lefties.  There again I may just find a bargain on ebay, if I don't like it, I can sell it on without making a loss. There's a regular ad on ebay from a musical ebay shop who claim they have a Chinese make [supposedly the best Chinese manufacturer???] that plays as good as a Takermine, it only cost £90.00, that's new. Hmmm....... decisions decisions......

Cheers
#9April 4th, 2009 · 11:38 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Hmm, I've been chatting to a few experts, who said best not get a cutaway for studio recording, so I'm now looking for a solid wood acoustic. I'm going to try out a couple of Tanglewood guitars next week, I'm quite excited.

It's interesting reading reviews, I've come to the conclusion that I will need to budget around £800.00 to get a quality guitar that will keep me happy for a life time.  Seems one of the most popular studio guitars is a Martin D18, we are talking around £1500.00.  I've been told that the difference between a £700 guitar to a Martin for example in minimal, but there is a big difference say compared with a £300 to a £700 guitar.

The quality of the wood is very important, that's why it's important to try them out, one hopes that the particular guitar you try out has been chosen well. Solid wood guitars mature with age, it would be nice to get one that's aged, hence I'm 49 now, so when the guitar is 30 years old I might struggle to play it.. lol
#10April 4th, 2009 · 03:42 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Washburn acoustics are very nice!

Yes the quality and what type of wood it is is very important. some wood just sound better with age, while some sound best brand new.
#11April 4th, 2009 · 04:18 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
yup not only the wood but the with ac, guitars,  the bracing, the molding, the glueing,  how well they paid attention to the drying of the wood.  ect..  I will mention this though.. I know someone that purchased a slightly screwed  up (they thought) breedlove ..list $4000.00.. they bought it for $2000.00.. I would not of paid $200.00 for it.  The neck was messed up beyond reasonable repair..  Don't think you always have to purchase the "name"  A cheap martin or breedlove , or taylor, may not be better than other brands in the 800.00 and under market.
#12April 4th, 2009 · 08:31 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
I love my takamine En 10C..I have a deep appreciation for its sound and playability both plug in or miced..Its a real awesome guitar....I have tried many and get very picky about them..Nothing compares to taylors or martins..But for the money I totally fell for my taka....Goat points out Alvarez ,i never tried one but I know there great in there classical ones...You can't go wrong with Takamines I swear you wont be disappointed..Ibanez I have two and to be honest they suck..The should stick to electrics..lol
As far as yamaha for the money you get more guitar with takamines.
#13April 5th, 2009 · 04:00 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Denis wrote…
toastedgoat wrote…

Interesting what you said about the Takermine, perhaps the have improved a lot since the early 90's
The difficulty I have is that I'm left handed, I can't just go into a shop and find loads of lefties to try out, so I'm very dependent on reviews and as expected they do vary a lot. There's a place in London called 'Tottenham Court Road', that has loads of Musical instrument shops, I think I'll take a trip down there, hopefully I'll be able to try some lefties.  There again I may just find a bargain on ebay, if I don't like it, I can sell it on without making a loss. There's a regular ad on ebay from a musical ebay shop who claim they have a Chinese make [supposedly the best Chinese manufacturer???] that plays as good as a Takermine, it only cost £90.00, that's new. Hmmm....... decisions decisions......

Cheers

about the taka guitar.. man it sounded very good, just darker toned than I was wanting. It played very well and that was without much of a set up on it.. that is why I posted at the end about you probably would do well with a taka guitar.

I would still approach the guitar builder though.. if he is good , he will build one to "fit" you.
#14April 5th, 2009 · 04:37 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Marino wrote…
I love my takamine En 10C..I have a deep appreciation for its sound and playability both plug in or miced..Its a real awesome guitar....I have tried many and get very picky about them..Nothing compares to taylors or martins..But for the money I totally fell for my taka....Goat points out Alvarez ,i never tried one but I know there great in there classical ones...You can't go wrong with Takamines I swear you wont be disappointed..Ibanez I have two and to be honest they suck..The should stick to electrics..lol
As far as yamaha for the money you get more guitar with takamines.

I did not bid on the Taka EN 10C, I'm gonna buy a standard non electric solid wood dreadnought acoustic guitar.
since I will only be using it for studio use, that's what the experts say, if I was giging, I would have probably bought the Taka. There is an English manufacturer, 'Tanglewood", who have had great reviews, I'm trying them out next week. Cheers
#15April 5th, 2009 · 04:46 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
toastedgoat wrote…
Denis wrote…
toastedgoat wrote…

Cheers

about the taka guitar.. man it sounded very good, just darker toned than I was wanting. It played very well and that was without much of a set up on it.. that is why I posted at the end about you probably would do well with a taka guitar.

I would still approach the guitar builder though.. if he is good , he will build one to "fit" you.

The guitar builder has not been in touch with me yet?? There must be loads of others, I would rather be recommended to someone.  I'm also gonna try out some Tanglewood guitars, one of the models is from their heritage range, apparently they are selective on the woods. While I'm at it, I'll try out some others, Ideally I would need to record with them to know which is the best, but hey my ears should be good enough to decide.  Also I would imagine that most of guitars are easy to play, seen some reviews where people have tried out expensive guitars but hard to play.

Cheers
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 18th, 2024 · 7:48 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.