1,965 posts
United States of America
re: re: saddles
Denis wrote…
toastedgoat wrote…
TheKunadiun wrote…
what are the saddles on the guitar?
i cant remember

Since I am trying to be very visual on this thread I thought I would play with photoshop a bit.
here is a pic of the fender style saddles on a fender styles tremolo bridge.

Cool goat, they look just like the ones on my Stat, hence as I mentioned earlier the ones I recently bought have no grooves.

I can play pretty hard.. I would be worried about the string moving around on me.
#32March 6th, 2009 · 10:35 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: re: re: saddles
toastedgoat wrote…
Denis wrote…
toastedgoat wrote…
TheKunadiun wrote…
i cant remember

Since I am trying to be very visual on this thread I thought I would play with photoshop a bit.

Cool goat, they look just like the ones on my Stat, hence as I mentioned earlier the ones I recently bought have no grooves.

I can play pretty hard.. I would be worried about the string moving around on me.

When I change mine over I'll let you know how it plays, Yeah.. you don't wanna be playing live on a solo with ya strings all over the place... lol

Thinking about most acoustic guitars sit on a plain bridge, as with my old faithfull EKO ranger VI

You must be getting close now to finishing off, I thing your waiting on ya tuning keys to arrive??

Cheers

Denis
#33March 6th, 2009 · 12:55 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
I cant wait to hear the guitar finished.
Mahogany strat...mmmm mmm good
#34March 8th, 2009 · 07:43 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
re: re: re: re: saddles
Denis wrote…
toastedgoat wrote…
Denis wrote…
toastedgoat wrote…
TheKunadiun wrote…
i cant remember

When I change mine over I'll let you know how it plays, Yeah.. you don't wanna be playing live on a solo with ya strings all over the place... lol

Thinking about most acoustic guitars sit on a plain bridge, as with my old faithfull EKO ranger VI

You must be getting close now to finishing off, I thing your waiting on ya tuning keys to arrive??

Cheers

Denis

you are probably right , the tension on the string should be enough to hold it in place.. I have knocked strings out of the saddles before though.  I might try a set of the vintage saddles.. I read the same thing about them. better sustain and tone over the ones like I have.

kunadiun wrote…

ok you don't have to wait any longer

http://forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/7159.html

pic of guitar almost done.. tuners installed. electronics wired in and sounding good . no noise to speak of..
screws are missing because I am going to put in new ones.

#35March 8th, 2009 · 08:26 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
ok strat is for the most part done... neck has to get used to tension on it. make take a few adjust to get it set in.. right now it is looking good.

I did not include to much on the electronics.. 1) it is hard to photo and solder at the same time and .2) there are tons of sites out there already that does a better job than I could explaining all the different wiring possibilities.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/
http://www.stewmac.com/wiring101/humbucking_wiring_options.html
http://www.strat-talk.com/

These links are good places to look around and read up on guitars.
#36March 8th, 2009 · 11:09 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: re: re: re: re: saddles
toastedgoat wrote…
Denis wrote…
toastedgoat wrote…
Denis wrote…
toastedgoat wrote…
TheKunadiun wrote…
i cant remember

Cheers

Denis

you are probably right , the tension on the string should be enough to hold it in place.. I have knocked strings out of the saddles before though.  I might try a set of the vintage saddles.. I read the same thing about them. better sustain and tone over the ones like I have.

kunadiun wrote…

ok you don't have to wait any longer

http://forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/7159.html

pic of guitar almost done.. tuners installed. electronics wired in and sounding good . no noise to speak of..
screws are missing because I am going to put in new ones.

Cricky Goat what guage strings do you use? knoking a string out of a saddle must take some force. I suppose if your using a very light guage this could easily happen.  I use the trusty old Slinky's, I find them just right for the strat.
The guitar sounds awesome, I wouldn't bother changing the saddles personally.  I can't remember how much I paid for mine I think it was around £20.00

AWESOME JOB  ON THAT GUITAR!!

Cheers

Denis
#37March 8th, 2009 · 11:15 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Foil
Out of interest what does the foil do for the body and the sctach plate. The wire in the first pic, I assume that is the earth cable you mentioned.

I assume you purchased the Fender vintage pick up's [what's the difference between the custom ones I've seen somewhere, are they the same?] forgive me if you have already mentioned this.
#38March 8th, 2009 · 11:25 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
re: re: re: re: re: re: saddles
Denis wrote…
Cricky Goat what guage strings do you use? knoking a string out of a saddle must take some force. I suppose if your using a very light guage this could easily happen.  I use the trusty old Slinky's, I find them just right for the strat.

Cheers

Denis

The guitar sounds awesome, I wouldn't bother changing the saddles personally.  I can't remember how much I paid for mine I think it was around £20.00

well really I  play lots harder on the bigger gauge strings.  normally I use the  0.010 -0.046 earnie ball  slinky
If I am playing out a lot I usually end up moving up to the 0.011-0.048. For quite awhile I played on the
0.012-0.052 hybrid EBL half round sets.  That was before I went back to driving a truck all day.. Now my hands are wore out at the end of the day so I don't feel like working them out any harder than I have to.
#39March 9th, 2009 · 01:18 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
re: re: re: re: re: re: re: saddles
toastedgoat wrote…
Denis wrote…

Cheers

Denis

well really I  play lots harder on the bigger gauge strings.  normally I use the  0.010 -0.046 earnie ball  slinky
If I am playing out a lot I usually end up moving up to the 0.011-0.048. For quite awhile I played on the
0.012-0.052 hybrid EBL half round sets.  That was before I went back to driving a truck all day.. Now my hands are wore out at the end of the day so I don't feel like working them out any harder than I have to.
Good God! Know what we call those heavy-guage strings where I come from? REBAR! How do you bend those suckers (I use like .009's even .008's at times). You must have some really strong hands!
#40March 9th, 2009 · 09:57 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
I use DR 10 gauge strings. THey are hard to bend with the floyd rose bridge and the tuning lock things on the headstock
#41March 9th, 2009 · 10:31 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
battlecat wrote…
Rebar How do you used those suckers?

play lots of acoustic guitar with normal ac strings on it.. then on you electric move up one gauge set at a time with weeks or even months between string size upgrade.... once you get used to the heavier gauges , and can really work em.. you won't want to go back to .oo9 or .008 ever again.. You will love the fatter tones and sustain you get from heavier gauge strings.

Kunadiun wrote…
I use DR10 guage strings. THey are hard to bend with the floyd rose bridge and the tuning lock things on the headstock

I like EB strings but I also like the D'addario bright round wounds now for some reason.
I have had some quality issues with the D'addario strings lately though.  factory messed up strings in a couple of sets. I use 10's  80% of the time on the electrics.. if I am playing on the Ibanez or Jackson or Kramer I use 10's .

If I am using the strat or something with a very fat neck and solid bridge I will up it to 11's
#42March 30th, 2009 · 12:14 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
my next build, a telecaster (partscaster). cause I don't have one and want one.
#43March 30th, 2009 · 12:27 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
personally, I love "Tellies"  (I have always liked their balance, their playability...and there are just those times that I want that "twangy/jangly" rhythm sound...or that "biting/cutting" lead tone!)
#44March 30th, 2009 · 08:00 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I played on a tele last Thursday night at  the bar and I liked it.  It had a humbucker in the bridge pickup so it wasn't quite like most telecasters.. I did like the tone on it though.  It was very playable too.. except the 1st string kept fretting out on me above the 14 fret.
#45March 30th, 2009 · 08:15 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
the truss rod was probably not setup right, or maybe the frets werent filed correctly, or maybe there is a warp in the neck, or maybe the bridge wasnt setup.

lol you probably know all that but I have been learning about setting up guitars so I thought id share.
1 2 3 4

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 18th, 2024 · 12:37 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.