1 2 3 4

#16March 3rd, 2009 · 12:11 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
battlecat wrote…
Hey TG! I have always been interested in doing the Eddie Van Halen thing and building my own guitar from varied components....right now, however, I'm thinking of taking my own Epiphone Les Paul copy and throwing in some really nice electronics (I'm looking at some of Wagner's hand-wound pickups, to get that "old-school" sound...some better pots and a better switch....anyway, one can dream, can't one?)

Look around on different guitar sites, I have found a bunch of stuff for sale for cheap,  I bought new " noiseless hots" $119.00 and then found a set that had never been installed for $60.00 on craiglist, then just to make it worse, I found a guy with pre-wired pickguard nice tortoise shell for less than I paid for just the pups.  @

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/misc-other-sale-trade-wanted/7188-pickguard-loaded-fender-noiseless-pups.html
#17March 3rd, 2009 · 03:31 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
ok mock-up is working looking good,  everything seems to be working out so far.
#18March 3rd, 2009 · 03:37 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
mock-up doing fine
ok I have the pups in the pick guard , the filed out area at the neck pocket is looking good, everything is lining up nicely.

I'll finish the wiring tomorrow and get everything set in, then I just have to wait for the machine heads (tuners).

I ordered the fender deluxe locking tuners for it. I heard they work pretty good.

fyi the junk on the floor is stuff I am working on , a bad cable I am chopping down to make several smaller cables and , the wrapping from the neck I put back over the neck to keep it safe.
#19March 3rd, 2009 · 12:34 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Did you say that body is mahogany? A mahogany strat...I'd be interested in how it sounds.  Did the body come painted like that? That's going to be a pretty guitar!
and is that neck finished? or are you going to leave it natural wood? (Maybe sealed/oiled, etc?) I understand natural wood actually plays faster....
#20March 3rd, 2009 · 01:44 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
dude totally awesome.
your really good at this!
#21March 3rd, 2009 · 04:53 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
battlecat wrote…
Did you say that body is mahogany? A mahogany strat...I'd be interested in how it sounds.  Did the body come painted like that? That's going to be a pretty guitar!
and is that neck finished? or are you going to leave it natural wood? (Maybe sealed/oiled, etc?) I understand natural wood actually plays faster....

yes it is ahogany, the first guy I took it too told me it was alder,  but I took it to my friend Dennis The Drummer (plays in a talented classic rock band) he owns his on cabinet production and installation business.
He know his woods.  he looked at it after the router hit it,  he said it was definitely mahogany.

http://www.myspace.com/rehabaneros

The body is an from an old lotus guitar that someone gave me.  it is the original paint.

The neck is a satin light satin sealer finish, stock on fenders deluxe mim guitars.
I will leave it as is.

I too am gonna be curious as to the tone of the guitar , mahogany is used more for Les Pauls  than strats.

I am thinking that I might move up to the 1 meg pots, and no capacitor.  just let the pups run full throttle.

kunadian wrote…
dude totally awesome.
your really good at this!

Thanks , it comes from lots of years being tight on the money, had to learn to do things on my own. This one is not a "perfect" build,  kind of winging it on some things.
#22March 3rd, 2009 · 05:49 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
i cant wait till i start doing this kind of stuff!!!!
#23March 4th, 2009 · 05:25 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Pictures Are great
Wow Greg, with the new pics, this is turning to be a great tutorial, I'm sure it will influence a few Ampers to try it out, most of us out their don't have the cash.

Oh and those links a amazing too, so much intricate work on building a guitar, it's a work of art.

Hmm... Mahogany wood that will be really interesting how that sounds, I love wood..lol.. especially a bit of untreated Mahogany.

The guitar is shaping up nice.

I recently bought some new saddles for my Strat, which are fender originals, I read somewhere that it can improve the sustain. I only bought them beacause the original scews that adjust the height of the strings have frozen up on three.  I haven't put them on yet. I'm not going to throw the old ones away, cause it would effect the value of the guitar.

Keep it up!!!
#24March 5th, 2009 · 02:19 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
denis wrote…
I recently bought some new saddles for my Strat, which are fender originals, I read somewhere that it can improve the sustain. I only bought them beacause the original scews that adjust the height of the strings have frozen up on three.  I haven't put them on yet. I'm not going to throw the old ones away, cause it would effect the value of the guitar.

The saddles I have look just like fender saddles.. except they have more smooth finish and slight grooves for the string to ride in.. they look better than the allpro replacements.  I think someone before me upgraded the saddles.

The pics are the same I just took the resizing code out of the link.
#25March 5th, 2009 · 02:56 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
toastedgoat wrote…
denis wrote…

The saddles I have look just like fender saddles.. except they have more smooth finish and slight grooves for the string to ride in.. they look better than the allpro replacements.  I think someone before me upgraded the saddles.

The pics are the same I just took the resizing code out of the link.

Yeah..You can see in much more detail now, the exposure setting is good too, thank goodness for digital cameras!!

The new saddles I bought don't have grooves, I contacted the supplier who said that they are designed that way, the strings will eventually create their own groove, I suppose if there is no groove the strings would vibrate more, thus more sustain. I must admit my Strat with it's original saddles, which have grooves does appear to lack sustain when playing clean, I've just got used to it.

Cheers
#26March 5th, 2009 · 01:33 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
what are the saddles on the guitar?
i cant remember
#27March 5th, 2009 · 02:27 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TheKunadiun wrote…
i cant remember

It's on the body/bridge of the guitar where they sit on each individual string, that can be raised or lowered effecting the height of the strings.
#28March 5th, 2009 · 02:47 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
saddles
TheKunadiun wrote…
i cant remember

Since I am trying to be very visual on this thread I thought I would play with photoshop a bit.
here is a pic of the fender style saddles on a fender styles tremolo bridge.

#29March 5th, 2009 · 05:07 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: saddles
toastedgoat wrote…
TheKunadiun wrote…
i cant remember

Since I am trying to be very visual on this thread I thought I would play with photoshop a bit.
here is a pic of the fender style saddles on a fender styles tremolo bridge.

Cool goat, they look just like the ones on my Stat, hence as I mentioned earlier the ones I recently bought have no grooves.
#30March 5th, 2009 · 06:54 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
OHHHH ok!!
Thanks so much for the pic goat.
I have those on my Floyd Rose bridge but I think they have grooves...
1 2 3 4

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 9:00 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.