1 2 3 4

#31May 21st, 2009 · 01:52 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Fiddlah wrote…
Heya all,
 I was out today shopping for a  stereo power guitar amp head. I tried the newest Line6... it had just an ok sound...... but what scared me was because I am more interested in recording then gigging nowadays, One small push or bump of one of those little push buttons and BANG, you're sending 200 watts without notice lol
  I like manual and none of this database save your preset stuff.... another thing about the line 6 was when you go to turn on any of the effect knobs, they don't come in gently  and gracefully render more of the effect.... again it was like Wham.... you want chorus..... well you got it and WAY too much I must say..... actually sounded like Sh*t.   I am personally just looking for a light weight , very quiet (STEREO) power head. I just need the  volume and quality,,,,, none of these fancy modern computerized database modules... And of course I want to keep price down....... no need for a Marshall, seeing its just for recording.  I looked up on a few sites about the Crate powerblock 150 watt stereo amp, but all the dealers are out of stock (discontinued).... but I'm interested in something along that idea.... * was going to go with a Mixer/Amp combo    the Behringer PMP 2000...... but seriously..... the mixing is nice, but 800 watts to record with  is a lil  redundant, dont you think?  lol

Anyways....... does TGoat or anyone have any ideas what I should be looking for?? I'm pretty sure I explained what and why I want something like this for an amp   *Must be stereo and quiet and pack a punch.
 would appreciate any responses...... thanks all 
Fid *s

oh yea...... of course the more inputs and outputs  i.e xml, rca, etc etc etc the better.... but thats secondary

Not sure exactly what you are running into it.. pre-amp or something?  A very nice all tube stereo amplifier for guitars.. Peavey 50/50 or the 60/60  .. I have one . I run an ADA MP1 guitar pre-amp  into it.. Then into a couple of very old Marshall 4/12 boxes .. This rig sounds fantastic. mics up great.   It's just more rig than I want to haul right now..

Dude about the line 6 ..  you have to spend some time tweaking out every aspect of it.. the tones , the effects., you can dial them in any way you want.  guys go into the store hit a couple of crappy presets and go that is crap.. I bet you would be very surprised to find out all of the players that have done albums running tones through these things.  They just take a little time to get em adjusted to your playing style and none of the effects presets are worth a crap.. You have to adjust all the levels on everything.  

I play 3,4, 5 maybe more nights a week now.. I use the line 6 because it is very very light weight..... small and compact.. and I have dialed in some very nice sounds.  Our whole band is direct. inputs..  Roland V drums full electronic set.  Bass is direct, I am direct.. We use no stage amplification.  Monitors are all "IN EAR"  wireless rigs.   We have spent some time (Ted has) tweaking our PA mixes and monitor mixes for us.. Comments from bar owners........No exaggeration  ... ... " best band I have had in my bar in over two years". Fathead @ Fathead & Braindeads bar..   ,.........."Best band I have ever hired"........Bear @ ..Tonahill's South Nightclub.     I could go on but that is enough... We go up nightly against bands with conventional set ups... So far everyone has said .. We have the best sound out.   Rocked the freakin house down last Saturday.. 2000 + people screaming and yelling. jumping up and down. Dancing too.  I figure that is not to bad for 3 old guys just out trying to have fun.
#32May 21st, 2009 · 10:41 AM
30 threads / 25 songs
219 posts
United States of America
Hiya TGoat bud,
 dont get me wrong...... I know the amp is a decent amp and it needs one to save the sounds you prefer compared to its presets. I just meant that I do not need that. I am running a GK CPL 2000 pre-amp and a digitech TSR 24 effects rack. This is why I am only looking for a basic stereo amp head.... a decent one!
 As far as the Line 6 goes, If I wanted an amp to play out with,, I might consider that, but as I mentioned,,,, the chorus/flange and the delay knobs were too much effect, even with the slightest of turn. I know that can be adjusted,  and I tweaked on it for over 2 hours yesterday at the store. Like I said,,,, it's a decent amp, but Ive heard much better amps along the same line..... *probably just a personal preference choice on my part.  The more technology changes the chintzier the hardware is made these days imo.  Just looking for a basic quiet stereo amp.  It's so difficult to find just that these days. I dont need effects,, I dont need pre-amps built in etc etc... just power,,  basically something with  about 100 watts/side and that's it. *hope this makes sense *s
Peace *s
 Fid
#33May 21st, 2009 · 12:28 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
toastedgoat wrote…
I was lazy at Saturday's gig.. used the Pod x3 live pedal sim thing..  Sounded freakin great out front.  2,500 people in the place.. It was jumping!!!

I have one of those things....I must confess I'm not crazy about the preset sounds (particularly the high-gain sounds - some of the low-gain sounds have been useable as far as I'm concerned).....but I've been sorta lazy about really tweaking sounds. I'd be interested in how you "dialed in" your sound on this thing...care to share? By the way...this thing has the option to play two instruments through it at the same time...are you and Ted sharing the same pod? If so...does that ever get awkward?
#34May 21st, 2009 · 07:28 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
battlecat wrote…
toastedgoat wrote…
I was lazy at Saturday's gig.. used the Pod x3 live pedal sim thing..  Sounded freakin great out front.  2,500 people in the place.. It was jumping!!!

I have one of those things....I must confess I'm not crazy about the preset sounds (particularly the high-gain sounds - some of the low-gain sounds have been useable as far as I'm concerned).....but I've been sorta lazy about really tweaking sounds. I'd be interested in how you "dialed in" your sound on this thing...care to share? By the way...this thing has the option to play two instruments through it at the same time...are you and Ted sharing the same pod? If so...does that ever get awkward?

What? Share the same pod...that just sounds wrong...NO.. we do not share the same pod.. I use either the x3 live or the pod 2.0 with full floor board.    He uses the pod xt.  

Fiddlah..... Mesa Boogie makes a great  90/90 all tube stereo amp rack mount that sounds great.
               Marshall makes a several great stereo tube amps
               Peavey makes some very good all tube stereo tube amps.. I have one and it sound great.(with mod)
#35May 21st, 2009 · 07:53 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
toastedgoat wrote…
What? Share the same pod...that just sounds wrong...NO.. we do not share the same pod..

LOL....well...I just figured...you know...like you guys are pretty close and evrrything......oh, NEVERMIND!
#36May 21st, 2009 · 08:36 PM
30 threads / 25 songs
219 posts
United States of America
This is the Amp I  bought today.... and I have to say its awesome... extremely quiet with a huge punch 300 watt stereo   A QSC GX3  http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/gx/gx_image_gallery.htm
 *very happy with this puppy!
Fid  *s
#37May 23rd, 2009 · 01:39 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Fiddlah wrote…
This is the Amp I  bought today.... and I have to say its awesome... extremely quiet with a huge punch 300 watt stereo   A QSC GX3  http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/gx/gx_image_gallery.htm
 *very happy with this puppy!
Fid  *s

cool amp multi uses... I put the tube ones up their thinking your wanted one for your guitar rig.  QSC is very very good gear.  I put it up there with crown xti's amps .. they provide very clean power and are bullet proof.
#38May 26th, 2009 · 04:30 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
what do you guys think about the VOX Valvetronix series? they actually have some pretty great sounds because they use the tube preamp and everything. I don't think its like a "true" tube amp...its more of a hi-brid...but they still sound pretty good.
#39May 26th, 2009 · 04:52 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I like the tones of the vox valvtronics but. the only one that I thougth usable for me is the one that is over 1000.00 . The others are all very limited in how many tones you can access.
#40May 27th, 2009 · 01:03 PM
9 threads
98 posts
United States of America
Well.... i kind of have to disagree there. I was looking into the new Valvetronix VT50, i actually played it a few times at GC, and it can give you sound upon sound upon sound. It goes extremely loud. And the presets didnt sound bad for the most part (Although i would use those the least out of everything on it). Although i know lots of people are not fond at all of "modeling" i keep reading reviews online of how people take a modeling amp and put it next to amps it actually models and how it sounds very similar to them. Personally, i think anything that gets "Modeled" is not going to sound exactly like the original....EVER. But apparently modeling is advancing pretty far....well at least enough for the amps to sound similar, Which is good enough for me.    BTW, Its only 400 bucks! What a steal!
#41May 27th, 2009 · 06:49 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I haven't looked at the vox's since last year but . last year you could access plenty of sounds but not from the floor board controller.(unless you bought the very expensive one) I should have clarified that.. For me and what I have to use live.. accessing several kinds of sounds.. The one that was above 1000.00 was the only one that you could set up "banks of tones " and access with the floor board controller.. I even bought one of the heads last year.. I returned it when I found out I could only save and use 2 tones with the controller..

It would be wise for vox to have set up at least 4 or 6  possible tonal changes on the fly with the foot controllers.
#42May 27th, 2009 · 07:43 PM
9 threads
98 posts
United States of America
Yeah. My brother has the older valvetronix. I also hate how you can only save two presets. This new one i believe says you can save up to either 16 or 22 through banks, somewhere around those two numbers.....i cant remember. Nevertheless, the new one has a seperate controller as well , (i think its about 60 bucks extra....kinda pricey compared to the last model) but it DOES have one which i think is good. Im not sure if the new VT Valvetronix comes in a stack variant but it does go up to a 212 which to me, when i played it, was loud enough for most gigs. Although i think i recall you saying you played in front of thousands before or something like that......i honestly dont know if the 212 would be loud enough or not. I think the new series has made great leaps over the past model. If you like the sounds of the past but didnt like how it lacked many prests, maybe you should take a look into them.
#43May 27th, 2009 · 11:44 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
GuitarWizard wrote…
Yeah. My brother has the older valvetronix. I also hate how you can only save two presets. This new one i believe says you can save up to either 16 or 22 through banks, somewhere around those two numbers.....i cant remember. Nevertheless, the new one has a seperate controller as well , (i think its about 60 bucks extra....kinda pricey compared to the last model) but it DOES have one which i think is good. Im not sure if the new VT Valvetronix comes in a stack variant but it does go up to a 212 which to me, when i played it, was loud enough for most gigs. Although i think i recall you saying you played in front of thousands before or something like that......i honestly dont know if the 212 would be loud enough or not. I think the new series has made great leaps over the past model. If you like the sounds of the past but didnt like how it lacked many prests, maybe you should take a look into them.

Dude.. I did play at a gig on the 16th there was over 2000 people there.. I used the line 6 X3 live floor board.. no guitar amps on stage of any kind.  County road 5 opened up.. The guitar player had a little 1/12 combo that sounded real good. .. With mics and monitors you don't need walls of amps. 

I ran that show direct. no amps.
#44May 27th, 2009 · 11:57 PM
9 threads
98 posts
United States of America
Yeah thats usually how most professionals do it i guess. Although i did see joe satriani live and mountain, and they both used like 3 or 4 half stacks and just didnt mic anything. Man......to me its just hard to believe when you see this little teeny amp on stage sounding so loud lol. But....i guess thats just how it works.
#45May 29th, 2009 · 09:18 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
oh yeah i was there. he had like 4 halfstacks. that was a cool show man.
1 2 3 4

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 28th, 2024 · 7:49 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.