1 2 3 4 5 6 7

#46August 16th, 2005 · 09:34 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
24 posts
Canada
thanks for asking me to be on this.  i'm really stoked on it.
#47August 16th, 2005 · 11:17 PM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
ghack!
i just was wondering... I was hoping this was the case but i guess it is not

GENRE NEUTRAL EVERYONE!!!!

c'mon... quit labeling as "soft rock" or "adult alt rock" or whatever...

if it's good and pro put it on the pro CD
if it's good and indie put it on the indie CD...

simple as that... IIRC one radio station blatantly rejected the idea of "a soft rock CD" so why this is still out on the table i don't know...

why the genre thing is still out on the table i don't know either...

ghack! genre neutral people! genre neutral!!!

oh well... that's just my opinion on how things should be done, obviously... yalls doin this project so do it however you like

and, meh... i don't think we need a voting system...

oh, and btw... i'm sorry, but i absolutely have to vote down the Chill song... sorry Chill... but that song just... ohhh god, you don't have a chance in **** of getting that song on the radio... honestly... i don't say this out of some sort of bias towards you... i say this with realism...

there's something to be said for "production values don't matter" but oh man... seriously... i don't know what to recommend instead... Chill... you certainly have at least one better song

if yall want to include Chill... my vote goes for "Pride & Joy" which is about their only slim chance of actually getting airplay. And because of lack of tuners... that shot is very slim for sure... anyway... i'm gonna try to shut up now...

i repeat that this is yalls project and your gonna do with it what you will...

but CMON!!! seriously... get real... EVALUATE!!! maybe we need some better ears on this project... but whatever... i really don't know who to suggest, except myself and I'm probably too biased plus i don't have much time
#48August 17th, 2005 · 04:29 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
okay, maybe we were being unclear before..

entheon:  they don't want it to be labeled "soft rock", true, but they DO want it to be labeled "adult alternative".  thus, we labeled it.

once again, that addresses the issue of having a genre-nuetral cd.  nobody wants it.  they want a cd that contains only what they want to hear, genre-wise.  if this wasn't the case, then of course... a pro cd and an indie cd would be the way to go, but since we MUST have the genres in order to split up the music for who wants it, we don't have too many options to work with.

if fact, our ideas are almost the same, but our "pro" cd is split up into different genres so that we have a chance with the stations.  i will repeat: they don't want songs that they wouldn't even consider playing anyway due to their genre.

i do agree that the current Chill track is very rough.  it's not got the sort of listenability that people out on the radio are wanting.  perhaps that is the case with many of our tracks, but Chill's track is standing out more than the rest.

k, about the voting...

I think also perhaps yet another vote should occur... we should maybe have the admins (and i'll stay out of it for now cuz it's my idea) pick what they think are the best songs in these two categories... and then we'll have a vote...  maybe we pick 20 songs for each album and the top 10 songs actually go on the album.

and, meh... i don't think we need a voting system...

entheon, you said both of these lines... which are you sticking with?  i'm not sure which is your final opinion.

either way, my proposed idea of the vote would not be something that all of bandamp participates in, but rather the admins and also the "rep" for each genre category.  i would think that this would be rather low-key, in the background, behind the scenes, etc etc.  it would just be a quick vote between them all to decide which songs get included in the final cut.  that's it.
#49August 17th, 2005 · 12:04 PM
9 threads
98 posts
United States of America
I agree with Tim. You said you want voting but then you said no. I'm putting Chill on the track listing not because the track sounds great now, but a lot of radio stations told me they like to "break" new artists and there people in "Atlanta" might be able to help. Most singers when they get discovered don't make an album immediatly. Most go through the proccess of getting "fixed". They'll get vocal lessons and proffesional instrumental lessons if they already haven't. They'll be taught everything they need to know and if I think someone has that potential to do that, I will fight to get them on the cd. And you said we shouldn't make this like American Idol where people's feelings get hurt because a radio station doesn't like them...aren't you doing the same thing by telling them they're stuff sucks? Who's it for us to decide but isn't it what this site is about? Critisism? If they can't handle it, then they wouldn't be on the site anyways. Well that's my input and I dunno about everyone else but I know I spend at least 3 hours a day on this comp trying to find radio stations to get these people on the radio and I don't appreciate people who don't seem to be doing anything, tell us how we should be doing it. Thank you.

Erica
#50August 18th, 2005 · 04:16 AM
1 threads
17 posts
United Kingdom
It seems to me the main problem is deciding who is good enough (or profesional enough if you want to be PC).

"either way, my proposed idea of the vote would not be something that all of bandamp participates in, but rather the admins and also the "rep" for each genre category."

This seems like the best idea so far. I suggested an idea simalar to this one in a pm to heylittlelady. Basicly I said we should have a select few that keep in contact with eachother about what they thought was suitable for the CD/CDs. Although I worded it completely diffarently.

How many CD's are we really thinking about making?
This could be a bit more complicated for the Englash radio stations and I wouldn't bother but if we managed to get enough stations involved then maybe it would work. I don't know. If only there was still a radio caroline. That would work, but I don't suppose anyone would know about radio caroline. Anyway, that was irelevant.
I will get in contact with as many radio stations as I can today and will post again later.
#51August 18th, 2005 · 04:22 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
i'm waiting for a quote back from a company right now about the production of this cd.

i'm only planning on trying to order a short-run supply of about 25 of them right now.

i'm putting money into this, you guys.  not stupidly, but i'm trying to do my best to make this turn out really good, and not el cheapo.  anyway.  just so you all know.

this is what i'm thinking about using for the cd holder.  i know it's a dvd case, but it'll serve our purpses a little better when there's so many tracks on it, and since we're trying to print info about each person as well.

anyway... if there's a preference... what do you guys think?  we can print to the cd, both sides of the dvd case, and then have an insert card inside if we want.  i'll repost when i find out how much more.   like i said, i'm waiting for the quote to come back to me.

i wanted to do this style case:

but it's harder to get that in a "short-run" supply (a number under 500 usually.)
#52August 18th, 2005 · 08:43 AM
9 threads
98 posts
United States of America
Just wondering...but does anybody have any requests of where we should try to get airplay, cause i'm researching now and it gets kinda boring doing the exact same thing over again...and remember! only contries that speak english lol
#53August 18th, 2005 · 12:47 PM
1 threads
17 posts
United Kingdom
Well I'm getting in contact with Radio stations in Brittain so thats me covered.
#54August 18th, 2005 · 10:07 PM
2 posts
Canada
I'm trying to find some stations around me to play the cd (or at least tracks of the CD). I know of several staions around where I live (west coast, Canada. Victoria to be exact) that would probably be willing to play it.  I'll get back to you if they will.
#55August 19th, 2005 · 11:11 AM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
ok... that makes sense about the genre and the CD and stuff now

i was just getting confused... it's been cleared up...

that makes sense that the radios would only want the genre that they want, which was PART of my point... but since that wasn't (for some idiotic reason on my part) clear to me my next best idea was the genre-neutral thing...

anyway... if you wanna include Chill... do him justice and don't use that song... Pride & Joy is much better... you can't "break an Artist" with a bad track - trust me... even if they have the artist go get lessons first... you still can't break an artist with a truly bad track... it does need to ACTUALLY show some potential... that's why I said, that if you wanna include Chill... use Pride & Joy... it's good.. that other track, frankly... is not

aight... keep rockin on this project yall... I'm sure there will be great things to come

oh and TLS, thanks for un-confusing me on the genre issue

P.S. yes, i will always most definitely pipe up when it comes to the issue of professionalism i.e. suck factor and will always promote the best tracks of any of the artists you want to include... if an artist has a better track I will always say so
#56August 21st, 2005 · 05:31 AM
14 threads / 12 songs
76 posts
Indonesia
booklet plan
i like the idea of using "three fold" for the booklet, cos it gives us a lot of space to put some information bout bandamp.com, the songs n also the musicians. n maybe i can find some radio stations here in Jakarta to play the cd as well, how bout that? or we just stick to the "English speaking country" only? 
#57August 21st, 2005 · 06:28 AM
1 threads
17 posts
United Kingdom
Seriously, whatever countries you can get involved. This is a multicultral site so it seems only fair and right to do that. It's not like we'd have a problem with it anyway.
The BBC suck arse. There is no way to get in contact with them unless it's a complaint, queery or if you want to enter a compatition.
I'll keep working on them.
#58August 22nd, 2005 · 04:14 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
that makes sense that the radios would only want the genre that they want, which was PART of my point... but since that wasn't (for some idiotic reason on my part) clear to me my next best idea was the genre-neutral thing...

hey, i understand completely about the genre-neutral idea.  it would be terrific except for the issues we brought up about it.  no worries.  at least we're all on the same page now, more or less 

i think that the tri-folding cd case would be great, too, but it's going to cost an extra $70, $80 or more dollars, easy.  i'm wiling to "take one for the team" to an extent, but i AM trying to finance a trip to canada for two years   the more money i can save, the better.  with the complete dvd-case idea, i can get the dvd cases and their inserts, and full-color printed cds for $131.00 total.  that's going to be the best if we're talking about costs only.  i myself am liking the tri-folding case too, but it's going to make this thing cost about $200 or more.

beyond that, i've gotta FIND a silly place that will do a short-run order of the tri-folding case.  i can't seem to come across any place that will do orders of them that are less than 500 in quantity.

i'm still working on it, though!  it's nearing the end of the month and i wanna get this thing rolling, so i'll still be trying to figure it out.

perhaps in the future, if this radio-cd becomes something that bandamp wants to keep... perhaps it could be turned into something that is allowed a bit of "help" money from bandamp.  i realize that bandamp is non-profit and everything, but maybe as this thing becomes bigger, then we can extend these projects into something more!  that may not happen for a while, but to at least bring it to everyone's attention, i thought i'd say something

au revoir
#59August 22nd, 2005 · 02:56 PM
9 threads
98 posts
United States of America
YEAH BABY!
Got another radio station that wants to hear our music! FINALLY got back to me...3 weeks later. lol So far, that brings us up to 5 (8 technically) because 1 other radio stations has 3 others in it's area they wanna send it too.
#60August 23rd, 2005 · 05:07 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
great news!  i've got one that i'm certain will take it, but they're notorious for being slow to get back to people   hopefully once the school semester starts out here, this silly student-run station will pick up the pace.

mainly to reiterate (but also to throw in some more info), the tri-folding case may not be an option, simply because i simply can't find a company that will do a short-run order of them.  our best bet may be either the dvd-cases, or to go back to the origian plan, and use a jewel case, with a 4 page booklet or something.  i'll keep looking around for stuff though.

as of now, the cd itself will have a full-color printed face, so that'll be cool.  now i need to figure out the cases...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 24th, 2024 · 7:08 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.