1 2 3

#16May 4th, 2012 · 02:48 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Hi Jupiler, your soundcloud-link doesn´t work for some reason. When I click on it Soundcloud says that this adress is unknown.
#17May 4th, 2012 · 03:38 AM
7 threads / 4 songs
32 posts
Netherlands
ULI wrote…
Hi Jupiler, your soundcloud-link doesn´t work for some reason. When I click on it Soundcloud says that this adress is unknown. :o

Ohh.. that can be right. I changed my name a few days ago. I'll refresh it.

Here's the right link for now:

http://soundcloud.com/gijssongs
#18May 4th, 2012 · 04:02 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Yip, now it works.
You´ve uploaded lot of songs there. Hope you´ll post some of  'em here, too.
#19May 4th, 2012 · 05:31 AM
7 threads / 4 songs
32 posts
Netherlands
ULI wrote…
Yip, now it works.
You´ve uploaded lot of songs there. Hope you´ll post some of  'em here, too.

I use Soundcloud to have easy links to my songs. Not much more. So the songs on there are very raw works in progress, like this song..

I will absolutely upload a song to the forum when I finish, or nearly finish a song. Thanks for the interest!
#20May 4th, 2012 · 06:12 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Please allow me a recommendation, Jupiler : You´re writing some expressive, sensitive lyrics, you´re playing some romantic and skilled piano music and you´re trying to find a way to express the lyrics in your music, bringing both together. A legitimate intention. But sadly it doesn´t work coz you´re no singer. That´s a big conflict.
Why don´t you look for a (preferable) female singer in real (where you live) or ask for collaboration here on bandamp or other musicians´ forums/platforms? The internet offers so many options to find the right people to work with. A good singer would express your lyrics / intentions in an adequate way.
Another option is publishing  as "romantic piano music" genre. I know that out there exists a huge request/enquiry of the audiance for this music. For example : On "jamendo.com" the genres "piano, romantic, instrumental" are always highly frequented, listened, reviewed and downloaded. So, there´s a market for you, but you should do it right. ......................................................................................but who really knows what´s wrong or right??????

greetz
U.L.I.
#21May 4th, 2012 · 07:39 AM
7 threads / 4 songs
32 posts
Netherlands
ULI wrote…
Please allow me a recommendation, Jupiler : You´re writing some expressive, sensitive lyrics, you´re playing some romantic and skilled piano music and you´re trying to find a way to express the lyrics in your music, bringing both together. A legitimate intention. But sadly it doesn´t work coz you´re no singer. That´s a big conflict.
Why don´t you look for a (preferable) female singer in real (where you live) or ask for collaboration here on bandamp or other musicians´ forums/platforms? The internet offers so many options to find the right people to work with. A good singer would express your lyrics / intentions in an adequate way.
Another option is publishing  as "romantic piano music" genre. I know that out there exists a huge request/enquiry of the audiance for this music. For example : On "jamendo.com" the genres "piano, romantic, instrumental" are always highly frequented, listened, reviewed and downloaded. So, there´s a market for you, but you should do it right. ......................................................................................but who really knows what´s wrong or right??????

greetz
U.L.I.
Thanks for your reccomendation ULI! I concur.

May I point you towards this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAs9VFKzCaE

It's a first recording. We only practiced an hour. It kind of shows what I have in mind with my songs. I have subscribed to a music class in my area. My intension is to learn how to sing beter myself, but firstly to meet people who are capable singers and are willing to perform my songs.

I like writing piano music, but I love songs equaly or more. I realy hope to combine the two in my own music. I know I have things to learn concerning how to work with for and backgrounds and much more probably, but I'm intented to learn this. I consider this a proces and it's realy valueble for me to have people like you make these kind of comments and recommendations.  So thanks again and please let me know where to improve!
#22May 4th, 2012 · 08:18 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
This kind of collab with Anne Maaike is exactly what I had in mind for your music. She is able to express your intentions adequatly. You both harmonize pretty good and I hope you will work together for a while.

To visit a music school is a wise decision. You will learn a big bunch about music.
OK, first step´s done.
Second step: About recording & editing:
Most important is levelling a clean, clear, proper and undistorted input signal. I noticed that your pianoplay is rather dynamic.In  loud parts the piano signal becomes too loud and causes hissing, distortions, fuzzing tones. 
So it´s important to pay much attention on the "leveling process". Play as loud as you can and watch the peak meter and avoid red range. Same procedure for every input signal. also vox.

After that you need to learn how to use EQs, dynamics (compressor, limiter etc), panning, effects.
Bandamp provides many tutorials to all these questtions, as well as Youtube tutos. There yery informative and valueable.

You will also profit by the contacts / connecttions on your school. All the different experiences of fellow students and teachers.
Play live as much as you can. That´s the best school you can get. Life´s best teacher.

So, go for it, mate.

U.L.I.
#23May 4th, 2012 · 09:28 AM
7 threads / 4 songs
32 posts
Netherlands
ULI wrote…
This kind of collab with Anne Maaike is exactly what I had in mind for your music. She is able to express your intentions adequatly. You both harmonize pretty good and I hope you will work together for a while.

To visit a music school is a wise decision. You will learn a big bunch about music.
OK, first step´s done.
Second step: About recording & editing:
Most important is levelling a clean, clear, proper and undistorted input signal. I noticed that your pianoplay is rather dynamic.In  loud parts the piano signal becomes too loud and causes hissing, distortions, fuzzing tones. 
So it´s important to pay much attention on the "leveling process". Play as loud as you can and watch the peak meter and avoid red range. Same procedure for every input signal. also vox.

After that you need to learn how to use EQs, dynamics (compressor, limiter etc), panning, effects.
Bandamp provides many tutorials to all these questtions, as well as Youtube tutos. There yery informative and valueable.

You will also profit by the contacts / connecttions on your school. All the different experiences of fellow students and teachers.
Play live as much as you can. That´s the best school you can get. Life´s best teacher.

So, go for it, mate.

U.L.I.

Thanks ULI. I hope to learn alot at the music school and also make some helpfull connections.

I have started to learn about recording a little. The first thing I learned is: It's expensive. But definetly worth it. I'll start with focussing on leveling. Is there a trick to hinder the imput from going into the red? A limiter on db's or so?

It's going to be a nice yourney.
#24May 4th, 2012 · 11:50 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
jupi wrote…
The first thing I learned is: It's expensive.
Yea and no. For your kind of music you just need one or two decent mics (preferable condernser mic) and stand(s) . I guess you do own an instrument. Perhaps a digital interface / small mixer.

jupi wrote…
Is there a trick to hinder the imput from going into the red? A limiter on db's or so?
Yes, of course.
I dunno which recording device you´re using, but no matter if you use a classical tape deck, a digital multitracker, recording-software for ya computer /lappi or a smartphone. Every of them allows you to adjust the strength of the input signal. There are physical or virtual knobs. This should be the very first thing when you´re going to start recordings.
Then there is , as you said, a couple of tools -limiter, compressor, expander etc- to regulate the signal of either the input channels or the track channels.

How did you do your previous recordings? What´s your setup? You don´t need money for some recording software coz it´s some freeware available out there which many ampers and other musicians use worldwide.
"Audacity! is a free program which is  decent for newbies, collecting first experiences.
If you prefer a virtual studio environment check out "studio one".  It provides everything you need for modern recording methods. But it´s more ambitious, challenging. But on youtube are many tutos. Very helpful.
http://forum.bandamp.com/Recording/53850.html#id38631

U.L.I.
#25May 4th, 2012 · 07:41 PM
7 threads / 4 songs
32 posts
Netherlands
ULI wrote…
jupi wrote…
The first thing I learned is: It's expensive.
Yea and no. For your kind of music you just need one or two decent mics (preferable condernser mic) and stand(s) . I guess you do own an instrument. Perhaps a digital interface / small mixer.

jupi wrote…
Is there a trick to hinder the imput from going into the red? A limiter on db's or so?
Yes, of course.
I dunno which recording device you´re using, but no matter if you use a classical tape deck, a digital multitracker, recording-software for ya computer /lappi or a smartphone. Every of them allows you to adjust the strength of the input signal. There are physical or virtual knobs. This should be the very first thing when you´re going to start recordings.
Then there is , as you said, a couple of tools -limiter, compressor, expander etc- to regulate the signal of either the input channels or the track channels.

How did you do your previous recordings? What´s your setup? You don´t need money for some recording software coz it´s some freeware available out there which many ampers and other musicians use worldwide.
"Audacity! is a free program which is  decent for newbies, collecting first experiences.
If you prefer a virtual studio environment check out "studio one".  It provides everything you need for modern recording methods. But it´s more ambitious, challenging. But on youtube are many tutos. Very helpful.
http://forum.bandamp.com/Recording/53850.html#id38631

U.L.I.

Ok, I record with a 100 euro USB-condenser mic. I have this mic pluged in to REAPER. I use the compressor and EQ that's 'shiped' with REAPER. I record the voice and piano naked. I add some compression and eq afterwards. Onto the individual tracks and on the mastertrack. I have no idea how to work with EQ, so I will try and figure that out before my next recording. What I ment with expensive is actualy mostly the mics, the studiomonitors and the audiocard. I use my laptopspeakers to mix and master, so that's probably the first thing I realy need to upgrade.
#26May 5th, 2012 · 02:54 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Jupi wrote…
What I ment with expensive is actualy mostly the mics, the studiomonitors and the audiocard. I use my laptopspeakers to mix and master, so that's probably the first thing I realy need to upgrade.
Yo, that´s true. Most important "tool" you need is a decent ausiosystem (speakers, amp).

Jupi wrote…
I have no idea how to work with EQ, so I will try and figure that out before my next recording.
Here´s a tuto about EQ-basics. Hope it´s helpful for you.

#27May 5th, 2012 · 06:35 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Dirty Socks
Jupiler wrote…
This is a new song I'm still working on. I can't sing for much, so the vox are quite bad.  I will have a better singer do the vocals soon. I just wanted to know your opinions on the song.

Lyrics:

Lyrics:

Woundefull days and
Bountyfull ways of
The smell your bed ingrained in my bed.
Overly feeling a sence of the ceeling
Boundlessly coulored in dark shades of red

Plentyfull reasons to feel good.
All needs are cought up in the nets.
Carelessly picking our playground.
Greygrounds a left in the back

Endlessly singing the same songs.
Are pictures i'll never forget.
I hope the pictures are double.
All songs are sung in duet

Refrein:
I know she never thinks of what's past
And still her dirty socks are tangeled with my rest
I'm burning, but it's not (to) sad (ly).
All these pictures are still in my head.

I think you are creating Lied or Lieder songs ... without even knowing it
and that is a real gift

your ability on the piano is fantastic and the music / melody is whirling round in your head

but the voice doesnt do it!!

so how do you get your melody voice over??

perhaps add a track to your recording to give a guide of your melody intentions .... leaving out your vocs
so that any collaborators get a rough idea of the melody you desire

i must admit I am fascinated by your situation and might try a vocal with you ...but Im no pavorotti either!!!

haha

fish
#28May 5th, 2012 · 06:41 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Dirty Socks
Jupiler wrote…
This is a new song I'm still working on. I can't sing for much, so the vox are quite bad.  I will have a better singer do the vocals soon. I just wanted to know your opinions on the song.

Lyrics:

Lyrics:

Woundefull days and
Bountyfull ways of

Refrein:

please send me the piano track-MP3 and I will attempt a vocal using your lyrics

send to

hootist@hotmail.com

lets see if we can do this
#29May 6th, 2012 · 04:19 AM
7 threads / 4 songs
32 posts
Netherlands
re: re: Dirty Socks
swordfish wrote…
Jupiler wrote…

Lyrics:

Lyrics:

Woundefull days and
Bountyfull ways of

Refrein:

please send me the piano track-MP3 and I will attempt a vocal using your lyrics

send to

hootist@hotmail.com

lets see if we can do this

Absolutely!! This is a link to the instrumental version on my Soundcloud you could download, but I'm also sending it to your e-mail.

http://soundcloud.com/gijssongs/dirty-socks-instrumental
#30May 6th, 2012 · 08:59 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
this music is really wonderful!
been listening on soundcloud, the vox here distract too much,
it seems a difficult piece to sing to, i couldnt even hum along.., well i aint no singer eather,
some harsh notes in the piano, probably due to your monitor system (non),
U.L.I. said it all
but being a Dutchie maybe you can find some great info here:
http://www.homerecording.be/forum/t10677.htm
oh, and welcome on the Amp!
EDIT;
love the collab with Maaike on youtube too!
1 2 3

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 27th, 2024 · 8:59 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.