1 2

#1August 22nd, 2011 · 11:52 AM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
Parting Ways

This song is not in a battle

I was sitting on my couch after everyone else slept, the place was completely quiet and I noodled around on my guitar and came up with the main theme for this the night I sort of parted (on good terms).

Part 2 of 3

Please try the others!
Part 1 : http://forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/8573.html
Part 3 : http://forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/8575.html

Thank you

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2August 22nd, 2011 · 04:27 PM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
Nice and relaxing man. I dig it.
#3August 23rd, 2011 · 12:01 PM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
Thanks. it's actually relaxing and also really sad to me that I don't like to play/practice/expand on it.
#4August 24th, 2011 · 07:13 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Sad it may be to you, but it's happier than your first upload.
You've been bringing up VSTs, where are you with editing/production programs ... and vst's?
Both your uploads are acoustic nylon one takes so far.
#5August 24th, 2011 · 10:44 AM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
hahaha Actually it's both very sad and happy

Imagine, for the lack of a better example...  a trip in an exotic place where you met many interesting people (musicians of course :P) but you had to go home.

About VSTs, I actually know (knew ) nothing about it, not do I have adequate equipement for it, which is why i kept asking questions everywhere. Though learning how to use programs are never a huge problem for me.

I have tons of ideas but practicing and polishing is difficult and VSTs will definitely help some fill in some emptiness/limitations on a guitar of the more "exiting" songs.
#6August 24th, 2011 · 05:09 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
JieXian wrote…

Imagine, for the lack of a better example...  a trip in an exotic place where you met many interesting people (musicians of course :P) but you had to go home.

About VSTs, I actually know (knew ) nothing about it, not do I have adequate equipement for it, which is why i kept asking questions everywhere. Though learning how to use programs are never a huge problem for me.

I have tons of ideas but practicing and polishing is difficult and VSTs will definitely help some fill in some emptiness/limitations on a guitar of the more "exiting" songs.
Firstly hang around the forums and read some threads, especially the Lessons forum.
Secondly ask questions ... in a thread of your own, your likely to get the answers your looking for then.
You dont need equipment to use vsts, you simply need a computer .... which I take it you have or are you strictly an iPod user?
#7August 25th, 2011 · 12:27 PM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
kings wrote…
JieXian wrote…

Firstly hang around the forums and read some threads, especially the Lessons forum.
Secondly ask questions ... in a thread of your own, your likely to get the answers your looking for then.
You dont need equipment to use vsts, you simply need a computer .... which I take it you have or are you strictly an iPod user?

Haha of course I have a laptop and a PC. I've got some programs but I feel quite handicapped because I come up with phrases/tunes by playing stuff aimlessly on the guitar. Then again I've only been playing with the drum machine on FLStudio.

I'm really happy to have found this place I'll keep exploring the VSTs and I'll probably be comfortable with it after more practice.
#8August 26th, 2011 · 10:21 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
JieXian wrote…
kings wrote…
JieXian wrote…

You don't need equipment to use vsts, you simply need a computer .... which I take it you have or are you strictly an iPod user?

Haha of course I have a laptop and a PC. I've got some programs but I feel quite handicapped because I come up with phrases/tunes by playing stuff aimlessly on the guitar. Then again I've only been playing with the drum machine on FLStudio.

I'm really happy to have found this place I'll keep exploring the VSTs and I'll probably be comfortable with it after more practice.

It's pretty much the same for any songwriter.
You noodle around and then in a whisker you hear something you like, you play around with that part until it almost feels natural to play, or until you are not thinking about it, then in a flash you get another idea, and so on and so forth. Sometimes things come quick other times take longer. You have to practice at least 15 minutes per day.
If you practice the little parts everyday you will find ideas will come natural, it's also gives you a great feeling inspiring you to add more to make it complete.
Personally I'd concentrate on your main instrument to work out all the part of the song, then record it. It's after you have created the structure that anything else you add will become easier. Alternatively you could try building one part at a time, although that doesn't work for me.
I'm not sure how a synth or FL drums would sound in this piece?,  it sounds strictly organic to me, so maybe some vocals,  little percussion could be more fitting, or some natural sounds from your neighborhood in the background.
#9August 26th, 2011 · 12:21 PM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Itīs another nice noodle which you should give a concrete structure , a form . Work on it cause it has potential.
Also it needs some work with an EQ , a lil reverb and low compression.
About VSTs here some links

http://www.vst4free.com/
http://www.vstplanet.com/
http://freemusicsoftware.org/

Have fun with browsing these sites

U.L.I.
#10August 26th, 2011 · 12:46 PM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
Denis wrote…
JieXian wrote…
kings wrote…
JieXian wrote…

You don't need equipment to use vsts, you simply need a computer .... which I take it you have or are you strictly an iPod user?

You noodle around and then in a whisker you hear something you like, you play around with that part until it almost feels natural to play, or until you are not thinking about it, then in a flash you get another idea, and so on and so forth. Sometimes things come quick other times take longer. You have to practice at least 15 minutes per day.
If you practice the little parts everyday you will find ideas will come natural, it's also gives you a great feeling inspiring you to add more to make it complete.
Personally I'd concentrate on your main instrument to work out all the part of the song, then record it. It's after you have created the structure that anything else you add will become easier. Alternatively you could try building one part at a time, although that doesn't work for me.
I'm not sure how a synth or FL drums would sound in this piece?,  it sounds strictly organic to me, so maybe some vocals,  little percussion could be more fitting, or some natural sounds from your neighborhood in the background.

Thanks for the advice.

I heard BrianVaughn's drum sounds and they sounded great, which was why I was trying to look for VSTs. Why don't you like them? Or have I mentioned the wrong program?

I can get a bass drum, a decent snare or tom toms thanks to influence from Gabriela from Rodrigo y Gabriela but cymbal like sounds are hard to make...

When I practice I usually find myself "waking up", being transported back to the real world surprised at the passing of time. Actually I have a lot of workload from my Engineering course   but overall the motivation to practice isn't generally a problem for me because I got ideas from that song during my finals which was why I played less. I mean I usually have to tell myself to play less gutiar and keep up with my course >_> .

But yes, using natural sounds for percussions sounds like a great idea. Maybe I'll shake my keys to get that sustained cymbal ringing effect
#11August 26th, 2011 · 12:58 PM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
ULI wrote…
Itīs another nice noodle which you should give a concrete structure , a form . Work on it cause it has potential.
Also it needs some work with an EQ , a lil reverb and low compression.
About VSTs here some links

http://www.vst4free.com/
http://www.vstplanet.com/
http://freemusicsoftware.org/

Have fun with browsing these sites

U.L.I.

Haha actually I was thinking that this is quite a decent form already with a some time spent polising mistakes away. But of course there's always space to expand an elaborate on anything. But in retrospect - you're right this one in particular feels the most "spacious" to me, in terms of space to add in stuff - I recall feeling that way.

But I don't know where to start with for this part "Also it needs some work with an EQ , a lil reverb and low compression."

What program do I need for that? Audacity? And does low compression mean less compressed = higher bit rate?
Because I recorded with an iPod touch mic and it's already 64kbps. I had to transcode it to a higher bit (with MediaCoder) rate to preserve the clarity on mp3. Worse, when I didn't some cutting with Audacity, the bass was cracking when I transcoded it to 192 kbps.

But is that what you mean by low compression?

Those links look very interesting, thanks! Any recommendations?
#12August 26th, 2011 · 02:34 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
JieXian wrote…
Denis wrote…
JieXian wrote…
kings wrote…
JieXian wrote…

Thanks for the advice.

I heard BrianVaughn's drum sounds and they sounded great, which was why I was trying to look for VSTs. Why don't you like them? Or have I mentioned the wrong program?

I can get a bass drum, a decent snare or tom toms thanks to influence from Gabriela from Rodrigo y Gabriela but cymbal like sounds are hard to make...

When I practice I usually find myself "waking up", being transported back to the real world surprised at the passing of time. Actually I have a lot of workload from my Engineering course   but overall the motivation to practice isn't generally a problem for me because I got ideas from that song during my finals which was why I played less. I mean I usually have to tell myself to play less gutiar and keep up with my course >_> .

But yes, using natural sounds for percussions sounds like a great idea. Maybe I'll shake my keys to get that sustained cymbal ringing effect :D
I don't  dislike Vst's - At the end of the day this is your music, so create it how you see fit, make sure you are happy with it.
How is your memory, If I create a new riff, I need to record it straight away. It's not just about practice, it's what you practice, practice things that will help you improve - but then it depends what you want out of your music, if you are getting pleasure from it now and don't want to develop, it's up to you. That's one of the good things here on bandAMP, many members have developed there music, for me I find it interesting how each member improves, it's inspirational, keeps us on our toes.
So Yes learn VST's,
There are hundreds of free ones here - Explore the site, you can tailor make your searches
http://www.kvraudio.com/
#13August 26th, 2011 · 02:47 PM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Jie wrote…
What program do I need for that?
You can use any program you want. Or a hardware multitracker.

Jie wrote…
And does low compression mean less compressed = higher bit rate?
No.Has nothing to do with data compression. Itīs about  signal compresson. This is a machine / tool / software you can manipulate the dynamic of a piece / track. 
This is one of the most important tools in music production and itīs absolutely important to learn how to use it and how it works.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

Denis has written this tutorial recently. itīs pretty helpful for "newbies".

http://forum.bandamp.com/Recording/15146.html
#14August 27th, 2011 · 05:21 AM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
Denis wrote…
JieXian wrote…
Denis wrote…
JieXian wrote…
kings wrote…
JieXian wrote…

Thanks for the advice.

But yes, using natural sounds for percussions sounds like a great idea. Maybe I'll shake my keys to get that sustained cymbal ringing effect :D
I don't  dislike Vst's - At the end of the day this is your music, so create it how you see fit, make sure you are happy with it.
How is your memory, If I create a new riff, I need to record it straight away. It's not just about practice, it's what you practice, practice things that will help you improve - but then it depends what you want out of your music, if you are getting pleasure from it now and don't want to develop, it's up to you. That's one of the good things here on bandAMP, many members have developed there music, for me I find it interesting how each member improves, it's inspirational, keeps us on our toes.
So Yes learn VST's,
There are hundreds of free ones here - Explore the site, you can tailor make your searches
http://www.kvraudio.com/

If the fact that I seem to be enjoying my time implies that I'm not playing anything new or challenging, I actually always look for new stuff - practising is very very frustrating at times but somehow I don't seem to mind it. In fact, I'm always looking forward to when I have time to do more of it

But if you have something to say that you are toning down to be polite, don't worry I can take advice from someone who has a lot more knowledge from me.
#15August 27th, 2011 · 05:23 AM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
ULI wrote…
Jie wrote…
What program do I need for that?
You can use any program you want. Or a hardware multitracker.

Jie wrote…
And does low compression mean less compressed = higher bit rate?
No.Has nothing to do with data compression. Itīs about  signal compresson. This is a machine / tool / software you can manipulate the dynamic of a piece / track. 
This is one of the most important tools in music production and itīs absolutely important to learn how to use it and how it works.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

Denis has written this tutorial recently. itīs pretty helpful for "newbies".

http://forum.bandamp.com/Recording/15146.html

Yes I'm a total newbie in this. Thank you very much for the links. I have never heard of the term before.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 7:56 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.