1 2 3
#31September 13th, 2011 · 09:29 AM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
Wow, thanks so much for the encouraging words and the detailed suggestions.

Listening to the solo bit you're referring to around 1:45. I believe I can improve this a bit with some EQ tweaking, so thanks for that.

I can't hear the volume jump you're referring to, but I'm at work currently and confined to headphones so I'll give it another listen later.

Trained skills? No. Just lots of recording and the slow, dumb learning that practice brings. And I don't mind sharing. I'm 28. I started writing songs around age 16 and started recording them during my 2nd year of college so I've been at it for around 10 years now.

The vocals probably are a bit dry. I usually have a preference for dryer vocals, but maybe I overshoot that mark a bit. (It's really a classic argument between myself and a fellow musician that I sometimes collab with.) I'd love to hear about your technique if you've written or YouTubed anything about it. I'm always glad to learn new tricks in that respect. (I learned a new one myself recently when mixing "Red Light, Green Light" that I think I posted about...somewhere...)

Thanks again. 
#32September 13th, 2011 · 11:28 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
brianvaughn wrote…
Listening to the solo bit you're referring to around 1:45. I believe I can improve this a bit with some EQ tweaking, so thanks for that. :)

Are you using software effects, or is this recorded distorted? I would have actually suggested you use a punchier guitar tone to begin with. A sparkly amp that is turned to just past breaking with a screamer on it, and guitar volume rolled down and tone at 9:00. Maybe.

edit: though EQ is going to solve the problem too. You just need that phrase to stand up a bit in the mix. Like when you are jamming with a band and you step on the boost pedal right before the solo and take the guitar to 11.

brianvaughn wrote…
I can't hear the volume jump you're referring to, but I'm at work currently and confined to headphones so I'll give it another listen later.

Are your vocals comped, or an entire take? If they are comped, that might account for it. I'll relisten.

brianvaughn wrote…
Trained skills? No. Just lots of recording and the slow, dumb learning that practice brings. And I don't mind sharing. I'm 28. I started writing songs around age 16 and started recording them during my 2nd year of college so I've been at it for around 10 years now.

You've got a great ear then. I'm rather jealous.

brianvaughn wrote…
The vocals probably are a bit dry. I usually have a preference for dryer vocals, but maybe I overshoot that mark a bit. (It's really a classic argument between myself and a fellow musician that I sometimes collab with.) I'd love to hear about your technique if you've written or YouTubed anything about it. I'm always glad to learn new tricks in that respect. (I learned a new one myself recently when mixing "Red Light, Green Light" that I think I posted about...somewhere...)

Basically the trick is to layer a delay before compression before reverb. Reverb should be mixed lower than normal, maybe 10-15%, with predelay. 100ms? A reverb with a lot of early reflection and not a lot of tail. Then, you use a delay with a long tail mixed really low, and drop it down several dB. It should sound cleaner than using a regular reverb in my setup. It gives an inherently "dry" feeling, but still creates the sense of space with vox. Sounds clean too.

It's all very subjective, of course.
#33September 13th, 2011 · 01:23 PM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
Are you using software effects, or is this recorded distorted?

Both, kind of. My electric guitar rig is a Diezel amp running into a Palmer PGA 04 (with speaker simulation disabled) and then running through 1 or more Recabinet 3 VST plug-ins for speaker sim. So there's a good bit of flexibility with the part as-is if I change up the settings in Recab and/or EQ. Your suggestion sounds like it's worth trying though, so maybe I'll just re-record the part.

Are your vocals comped, or an entire take? If they are comped, that might account for it. I'll relisten

Good question. As this was recorded a couple of weeks ago I'm not sure if that part was comped any or not. I don't think they were comped. (My memory can be crap when it comes to this sort of thing, sorry.)

Thank you again.

And neat trick on the verb+delay. I'll give that a shot. Sounds like the sort of thing that would make a great YouTube tutorial vid, if you ever do that sort of thing. I've been thinking about making one or two about my song-writing and recording process, but feel like I'm still a bit too noobish to post such a thing. Wouldn't want it to come across as egotistic. It would kind of be fun though..
#34September 13th, 2011 · 06:41 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
avinashv wrote…
Not really my kind of music, but had to throw a review down for this. I miss writing reviews.

First off, the general feeling of the groove of the song. It's very radio-friendly, with a catchy pop vibe. Very much the kind of music that could be Top 40. Not entirely sure if that's what you're going for, but that is a compliment. You'd have teenage girls swooning. Lyrics fit in nicely to the context of the song, and the structure is perfect.

The production is top-notch. Some of the best I've heard on the AMP, and that includes some professionally-produced stuff. Bravo. But, because it's me, I'm now going to nitpick. Take this with a grain of salt, because it's fantastic.

The guitar that comes in to "solo" at 1:45 doesn't sit in the mix with me well, and when the "broom handle" line starts, there is a weird break in the mix where the volume jumps oddly. I don't quite know how to describe it. If I had a crack at the multitrack, I would love to layer an acoustic guitar into the mix, strumming the chords of the electric. It will give a bit of depth to the mix. If there is one there, I can't hear it on these speakers.

Besides this, the mix is generally quite excellent. You don't abuse compression too much and have a generally tight master down. Are these trained skills? And if you don't mind sharing, how old are you?

What are you doing for delay on the vocals? The track sounds a bit dry. I'm not sure if any time-based effect will work in the mix, though. Worth an effort, if you haven't attempted it already. I've been experimenting with a technique that mixes reverb and delay in an odd way that gives me good results. It's a bit roundabout, but I'm getting a good sound in a mix. On this track, though, the vocals (technically) are great. In pitch, sounds great, and your throat breaks at the right time. I thought I heard a few autotune artifacts, though I can't be certain. Even if it's there, you are implementing better than half of the pros in the industry.

Overall, this is one of the best produced tracks I have heard here. I will be listening to a lot more of your music.

as stupid as it seems........  the voc could be tiny bit more treblier cutting .... my headphones??

great song!!!

still 2nd review
#35September 29th, 2011 · 07:05 AM
5 threads / 2 songs
51 posts
India
Mr Brian!
I like the progression. Oh Yeah just entered the "Oh My Mind" phase! Nice tune. It's a driving ballad, if you call it. I like the fact that the bass if loud and not too-loud. The rhythmic foot taping tune made me peppy in a way.

Definitely a song for my iPod when i am on the go. Good job! Wanna hear you more soon.

Just a question came up in my mind, you are a bunch of guys or just a one man act!?

Rock On.
Kasa.
#36September 29th, 2011 · 08:25 AM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
Thanks fish.

And Kasa, thanks also! It's always exciting to hear that one of your tunes made someone's "on-the-go" mix.
And this is just a 1-man act. Most of my stuff is, except for the stuff labeled "Pilotless Drone" which is a 2-man thing, myself and my former roommate.
#37September 30th, 2011 · 09:22 PM
14 threads / 14 songs
232 posts
United States of America
I sent this to a couple of people on FB
#38September 30th, 2011 · 10:42 PM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
Oh thanks so much!
Please feel free to friend me on Facebook also. "Brian Vaughn" (boynamedbri at gmail)
1 2 3
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 27th, 2024 · 5:15 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.