1 2 3

#16August 22nd, 2011 · 10:29 AM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
lol, thanks (I think )

I used VSTs for some of the string sounds, yah. I use Session Strings (Native Instruments). Got them somewhat recently but I've been really enjoying them.
#17August 22nd, 2011 · 05:12 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
brianvaughn wrote…
@kings - I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or kind, but if it's kind, then thank you.

As for me trying to "fit into" indie... I'm not sure what you mean. I'm a 1-man band. All of my music is recorded in a bedroom studio in my apartment, mixed by me, and distributed on CDs that I burn myself (or on a website that I pay $10/month to host). I think I'm "indie" because I have no funding (and no fan-base, really. Look me up on YouTube and see how few views my music has.)

I suppose I'll remain "indie" as long as no one's really listening to me. lol

I sarcastically mean " So how long do you intend trying to fit into the category 'indi music' ? "

Because

"That was exceptionally good"

I suppose you've heard of Lenny Kravitz ? I'd kind of put you in that kind of category at the moment.
Also a 'one man band' who can make a complete product from start to finish and it's bang on excellent.

Good move uploading to bandAmp, very good move uploading to bandcamp but how many more places are there for you to upload too?
I'd say you need to be putting all your time and resources into promoting and marketing your product. 

There are other members here who've gone deeper than I have into the subject of marketing music on-line. Maybe you should be asking those kind of questions? To get those kind of answers!
Especially if you say your music is not 'listened to' that much .... I think it should be 'heard' a lot more 
#18August 22nd, 2011 · 06:15 PM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
brianvaughn wrote…
lol, thanks (I think )

I used VSTs for some of the string sounds, yah. I use Session Strings (Native Instruments). Got them somewhat recently but I've been really enjoying them.

Thanks for the info.

The translation of my post was : I'm generally not too enthusiastic about this genre but I liked yours - made me smile
#19August 23rd, 2011 · 03:00 AM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
Would it be possible to do something with VSTs without a keyboard?.. If I want to add in strings or drums. Could you recommend me something?
#20August 23rd, 2011 · 08:36 AM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
Thanks Kings I've also posted some of my music to Facebook, MySpace, Reddit, AloneTone, YouTube, and BandCamp, but it's just never reached that "critical mass" perhaps.

JieXian: Yes you can use VSTs without a keyboard. Cubase has a nice little midi editor (one for regular synths, and a special one for drums) as do most DAWs I would imagine. I know FLStudio's got one but I haven't used that program in a long time.
#21August 23rd, 2011 · 11:36 AM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
Ah thanks. I've tried FLStudio for a while and I really feel how bad I am with theory. I can play out rhythms by ear easily but when it comes to writing it down........................ oh I suck.

Got to dig around for and old neglected - cheap keyboard

But in the meantime I'll play around and see what I can do.

Do you connect your guitar or mic into the computer? Is it from the same big audio output jack on the mic and guitar but has an input into the PC? I was reading about some people connecting their guitars into the computer sound card and talking about lag
#22August 23rd, 2011 · 11:50 AM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
@JieXian: Check out my gear page: http://briandavidvaughn.com/gear for links to what I'm about to mention...

I use a firewire soundcard (RME Fireface 400) which has a couple of really nice XLR inputs (with preamps) and several 1/4" inputs. Vocals go into one of the preamped XLRs, and guitar goes into a 1/4" after first running into a load box (Palmer PGA 04).

The Palmer can also function as a speaker simulator (modeling an amp cabinet) but I don't use that function. Instead, I use Recabinet 3 to model my cabinet (within Cubase). It's more flexible.

I've been really happy with the sound quality of this setup, especially for over-dubbing. There's very little accumulated noise when I run double-tracked guitar or multiple vocal harmonies.
#23August 23rd, 2011 · 05:59 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Oh, My Mind
brianvaughn wrote…
Kind of a day-dreaming song. Written about a collection of memories, mostly from high school I suppose. Tried for a bit of a happier, more up-beat feeling than my usual stuff.

Feedback on the song, lyrics, or mixing/recording is welcome! I'm still a good bit away from the next CD-release, so lots of time to work on feedback I receive.

Lyrics
Grey fisted clouds in the sky. Plaid skirt and innocent eyes,
And I am no longer sane.
Small road, stop sign ahead. Slow intersection. Big hotel bed.
Oh, my mind seems to have drifted away.

If you call for me I'll know this is a dream,
And as stupid as it seems- I'll wake.

Bright blue sky all around. Cows on the highways and fire on the ground.
And I've come here but I don't know why.
Misguided grasp on the truth. Gold and silver but nothing for you.
I have better things in mind.

Don't reach for me. Things are never what they seem.
I'd kiss you if I could but it'd only be a dream.
And don't call my name from any other state,
As pointless as it seems- I'd wake.

Oh, my mind. My mind.

Broom handle twins in the sky.
Two pairs of mean little eyes.

If you hold onto me I'll know this is a dream.
Invite me in your room and I won't stay asleep.
If your behavior should change, I'll know that it's fake
And though I won't want to,
Though I'll fight to stay,
Though it's unfair- I'll wake.

honest i just love your voice ...... it works..

thats enuff

fish
#24August 24th, 2011 · 10:51 AM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
brianvaughn wrote…
@JieXian: Check out my gear page: http://briandavidvaughn.com/gear for links to what I'm about to mention...

I use a firewire soundcard (RME Fireface 400) which has a couple of really nice XLR inputs (with preamps) and several 1/4" inputs. Vocals go into one of the preamped XLRs, and guitar goes into a 1/4" after first running into a load box (Palmer PGA 04).

The Palmer can also function as a speaker simulator (modeling an amp cabinet) but I don't use that function. Instead, I use Recabinet 3 to model my cabinet (within Cubase). It's more flexible.

I've been really happy with the sound quality of this setup, especially for over-dubbing. There's very little accumulated noise when I run double-tracked guitar or multiple vocal harmonies.

Thanks. Over-dubbing means adding more layers right?
#25August 24th, 2011 · 11:02 AM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
I think over-dubbing probably means something else but layering was what I was referring to, yeah.

So I typically double-track my guitar parts, which means recording the same part twice and then panning one left and one right. It makes the finished sound fuller and more satisfying (I think). Sometimes I might also play a slight variation the second time so that each channel has a different thing going on. (I've been trying this a lot in the Imogen Heap cover I'm currently working on. It's kind of neat sounding. Will be posting that soon hopefully...)

Vocally I like to sing harmony parts. Usually I have at least 2 vocal tracks overlapping in a song. For some songs though, like my band's cover of "Mad World" (Tears for Fears) I had 7 parts going at one point. (It was a lot of fun to record.) With my old setup, 7 vocal parts would mean a lot of accumulated line-level noise but with the setup I described above, it's not been a problem.
#26August 26th, 2011 · 03:54 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Great work.
I don't want to reiterate whats just mentioned.

You could try and get your music heard on radio stations that  play your kind of music, form a band and play it live - if people like it, you could build a fan base, tell all your friends and family and try and get them support and you promote you. As an old pro told be you need to be heard,  if the music is good or more to the point liked by many, you have a chance of getting recognized. This is just the starting point.

Notice you have an RME preamp, they don't get much better. - I will be looking to update my sound card soon, I can budget for a firewire Focusrite pro24, superb value for money, plus as you build your studio you can add an ADAT unit, thus adding the amount of inputs. Currently I use an Art Gold tube pre, which still gives excellent results, I just need something more compact like the focusrite which is small enough to fir in my bedroom keeping it permanently set-up.

Look forward to hearing more form you 
#27September 9th, 2011 · 07:44 PM
4 threads / 4 songs
145 posts
United States of America
Thank you for this nice listen. love it. Voted.
#28September 10th, 2011 · 11:24 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Bopping along to this one (as I'm fixing some lights in the bathroom!)
Another great song.
What can I say that's not already been said...?
Nothing!
All good
#29September 12th, 2011 · 10:13 AM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
Thanks so much, Tek, Jimi, and Endless. Very encouraging comments.

And yeah, I'm a big Ben Folds fan Endless.

When I was in Nashville last (working on a recording project) I played the tourist and went jogging by his house.
#30September 13th, 2011 · 08:59 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Not really my kind of music, but had to throw a review down for this. I miss writing reviews.

First off, the general feeling of the groove of the song. It's very radio-friendly, with a catchy pop vibe. Very much the kind of music that could be Top 40. Not entirely sure if that's what you're going for, but that is a compliment. You'd have teenage girls swooning. Lyrics fit in nicely to the context of the song, and the structure is perfect.

The production is top-notch. Some of the best I've heard on the AMP, and that includes some professionally-produced stuff. Bravo. But, because it's me, I'm now going to nitpick. Take this with a grain of salt, because it's fantastic.

The guitar that comes in to "solo" at 1:45 doesn't sit in the mix with me well, and when the "broom handle" line starts, there is a weird break in the mix where the volume jumps oddly. I don't quite know how to describe it. If I had a crack at the multitrack, I would love to layer an acoustic guitar into the mix, strumming the chords of the electric. It will give a bit of depth to the mix. If there is one there, I can't hear it on these speakers.

Besides this, the mix is generally quite excellent. You don't abuse compression too much and have a generally tight master down. Are these trained skills? And if you don't mind sharing, how old are you?

What are you doing for delay on the vocals? The track sounds a bit dry. I'm not sure if any time-based effect will work in the mix, though. Worth an effort, if you haven't attempted it already. I've been experimenting with a technique that mixes reverb and delay in an odd way that gives me good results. It's a bit roundabout, but I'm getting a good sound in a mix. On this track, though, the vocals (technically) are great. In pitch, sounds great, and your throat breaks at the right time. I thought I heard a few autotune artifacts, though I can't be certain. Even if it's there, you are implementing better than half of the pros in the industry.

Overall, this is one of the best produced tracks I have heard here. I will be listening to a lot more of your music.
1 2 3

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 5:51 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.