1 2 3 4 5

#1July 17th, 2005 · 12:03 PM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
A Long Way Home
Score: 78.7%
Battle: 2005-08

This is a chilled acoustic track, my first here, that I enjoyed making and I hope you enjoy listening to! It started off with a fantasy influence and then just went off on a tangent

I've only got a PC for recording/mixing, and im using a Yamaha FG730S folk acoustic and a Shure SM-57 mic fed through a simple ART valve preamp...I tried to get a nice crisp, wide sound with double-tracked rhythm acoustics and a varied lead - a bit of classical, a bit of spanish influence, even a bit of rock/blues. Unfortunately I don't have a very good recording sound card so its not as rich sounding as I would like, but I spent alot of time on the guitar sound with mic placement, EQ, compression and reverb. There's also a few samples in there, and I mastered it too.

This is my first track on Bandamp, so please let me know what you think, constructive criticism is important to me. Go easy, the entire song was completed from concept > recording > mixing > mastering in a single day

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2July 18th, 2005 · 11:06 AM
12 threads / 9 songs
142 posts
United States of America
In a single day
I love it when this happens, a one day project. Actually, I stive for low hours on a song, it keeps it fresh, impromtu-esqu (how would one spell that, or say it better). I like this song as it has life and hasn't been played to perfection. Very nice. I think that the sound effect might have started as loud as you have it, and then could be dropped just a touch more behind the music... but a great effect anyway.
#3July 18th, 2005 · 03:56 PM
10 threads / 8 songs
39 posts
Cambodia
I really like this song, brings back memories of when I visited Spain in March.  Some parts also sound like Gerudo Valley from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (don't know how many people here are familiar with that...)  I like how it briefly changes feels around 1:10, then seamlessly goes back into the first part.  I'm not sure I like that wind/rain/whatever that is sound effect going on in the background, but it doesn't seem to be taking away from the music, so go with it if you want.
#4July 19th, 2005 · 05:24 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
you're pretty good on that guitar, man   i likes it.  the rain noise at the beginning scared me for a moment... i thought that was the static noise of a bad recording :P

but then i caught on!  very nice, especialy for a single-day project.  i wants to hear more!  more!
#5July 22nd, 2005 · 01:07 AM
31 threads / 5 songs
178 posts
Spain
Nice one my san!
I really like the acoustic guitar sound you got there.

Anyhow, the track is enjoyable to listen to - the rain effect gives it a nice mood. I spend most of my time in Spain - this reminds me of a particular day when we had a tropical rainstorm hammering down.

I look forward to hearing more sounds from you.
#6July 22nd, 2005 · 09:32 AM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
Thanks for the input all I've been checking out your stuff and I'm really impressed with the variety and standard. I hope to have some new stuff on here fairly soon when I move and get my little studio sorted out...
#7July 22nd, 2005 · 04:04 PM
9 threads / 4 songs
90 posts
United Kingdom
loevely!
#8July 22nd, 2005 · 04:49 PM
48 threads / 41 songs
144 posts
New Zealand
Haha, AWESOME guitaring. I wish I could play like that. The strumming picking combo works so well.

Kinda Santana huh?

- Chester
#9July 22nd, 2005 · 10:40 PM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
Great finger work,really feeling that guitar!

PS You should get Enrique to sing on this track,keep it up
#10July 23rd, 2005 · 01:57 AM
119 threads / 90 songs
258 posts
United Kingdom
I love this!
I don't know much about guitar playing, but I think yours is great!
I think this would sound great as a full legnth song, with lyrics and stuff...
Although it is just fhab-a-looz as it is darlink!
#11July 23rd, 2005 · 02:39 AM
2 threads / 1 songs
8 posts
Serbia and Montenegro
From me.
Good
#12July 23rd, 2005 · 06:34 PM
28 threads / 20 songs
255 posts
Australia
this is great, singing can be added - not enrique but i see where your coming from. obviously has a spanish feel, if you were to put singing in this you would need to get ease up on the lead guitar if you know what i mean, not a good idea having lead guitar kicking away like yours with someone trying to keep up lyrically with it
#13July 24th, 2005 · 02:06 AM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
Thanks all Ya thats completely true my lead guitar is 'in place' of vocals, it would be greatly reduced if a singer was in there.
#14July 24th, 2005 · 09:16 PM
3 threads / 2 songs
15 posts
United States of America
For one day's amount of work, this is bloody awesome. While it's a little rough sounding with a few bugs here and there, you've done a wonderful job at setting a storytale sort of mood in your song. The samples added nicely to the song, though the opening sample is a bit overwhelming. Perhaps start it off quietly and allow it to gain volume and then pick up momentum?

And personally, I think that if you add vocals to this song, keep the lead guitar, but make the vocals and leader guitar compliment each other. That would be brilliant, in my opinion.

Good job, though. Lovely song. Very professional sounding, in my opinion.
#15July 25th, 2005 · 12:58 PM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
Thanks for the input Cherita, yah its a little rough in places but all three guitar parts were done in one take! I also agree the sample I overdid a little bit, its actually been eq'd and compressed to try and reduce that, but it is two rain samples layered - would perhaps have been better to just stick with one to save creating such a dense sound.
1 2 3 4 5

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 16th, 2024 · 12:20 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.