#1November 3rd, 2009 · 06:49 PM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
(Acoustic) Cant Complain

This song is not in a battle

fais54 suggested making an acoustic version so I have .

Let me know what you think of recording quality, if the vocals are out of tune or whatever, etc.

This is the acoustic version of the re-make of "Lead Me On"

Original version of this song: http://forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/7615.html
Original version of that song: http://forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/7593.html

Lyrics

I want you to listen
There's something that I have to say
It's took time cause it's about you
You see

I hope that you can listen to all of my words
Cause I know that you're not coming back

I can't complain
When I know you're feeling so ashamed
You've thought about it all
And I can't complain
When you are not getting what you want
See you've wasted all your time

I tried hard to make this last
But I don't wanna waste my time
On a girl that doesn't matter to me
See I can be so sweet but that was for the girl that
Meant something to me
I don't even know why I liked you anyway

I can't complain
And I can't complain

See I was hoping for the best and I never believed that
This would end like this and
I pictured happiness
I, I pictured everything and
This will be the last thing I ever write to you

I can't complain
And I can't complain

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2November 3rd, 2009 · 11:01 PM
15 threads / 8 songs
322 posts
Sweden
This is exactly how I 'pictured' (?) it to sound. It's a lot better this way. I can imagine this on the radio, a la 'Hey There Delilah'. Some parts on the first verse are slightly off, but it's fine from then on. If you want, I can actually try tuning that part without it sounding too fake. But, otherwise, I still like it. Great chorus, good job.. 

By the way...listening back, I didn't mean 'scrap the percussion section' as in the original was bad in any way, but you can add some things to add more to it.
#3November 4th, 2009 · 02:30 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
It's nice, I like both versions.
I would try and thickening up the vox
try this:
This is copied from a post I saw from a quality producer:

I have a few tricks that always tend to work on vocals. 
1. I always use delay instead of reverb. Somewhere around 300ms with no feedback (repeats).  Dial in the right tempo and tuck it under so it's barely audible.  Thats a great trick for keeping the vocal up front but still giving it some depth.

2. There's a preset on the Eventide H3000 called MicroPitchShift.  It's a stereo effect that basically thickens up the vocal track.  You can recreate it with plugins.
I tend to use Echoboy or Soundblender to achieve this effect when mixing in the box.  Try this:  stereo delay 12ms on the Left, 24ms on the right. Then pitch shift +8cents on the left and -8 cents on the right.

Here's another:

I recently tried one  which involves duplicating the main vocal eq'ing one with quite a substantial boost in the 100 and 10k zone and compressing that track heavily and the other with no eq boost and a mild compression and blending the 2 till it sounds richer and livelier.

***************************************************************************************************

Worth trying
Cheers
Denis
#4November 5th, 2009 · 02:12 AM
89 posts
Canada
Hey,
First, thanks Denis for that information.  I am going to try those suggestions myself   How very useful!

Ok now for the song.  I already posted on the other version so I'll keep this simple for once
I definitely prefer the full instrumentation:  primarily because of the percussion, the simplistic nature I felt didn't detract from the rest of the recording.  How's that for differing opinions lol.  I liked how the other has more of an anthemic quality to it yet still remains personal.  I typically enjoy a lot of acoustic/vocal tracks and this is really nice, but just holds less appeal to me.

Still great, very enjoyable.
Chris
#5November 15th, 2009 · 11:38 PM
8 threads / 2 songs
79 posts
United States of America
I like acoustic tracks, this sounds very good. I don't necessarily think it's better than the original, but it's not worse either--just different. A lot of musicians make acoustic versions for some of their songs and release both of them and both sound good, and I think this is one of those songs that sounds great either way. Good job.
#6November 16th, 2009 · 10:47 AM
1 threads / 1 songs
11 posts
United States of America
Where are you recording? What is your mic placement? I like the song but recording wise it needs a little more of an open feel it sound a bit boxy.  Otherwise great song.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 9:13 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.