1 2

#1June 5th, 2009 · 11:18 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Better Than Green

This song is not in a battle

Edit: http://forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/7628.html newest version of song
Ok so me and my friend Antonio have been hard at work trying to come up with an album for our "band" since the talent show. This is the first track that we just recorded for the album. It's a very simple song, only 3 chords, but it means greatness.

The red kool-aid stands for the mainstream music that the music industry pumps out, and the green kool-aid stands for the music that actually is good and may be obscure but still good but other people dont understand it. This song is kind of ironic in a way because it is so short like most of the songs pumped out today, but it really has that green kool-aid feel.

Also get ready because this is a 2 part song it continues after that explosion at the end. (EDIT: This is a re-upload..I increased the volume on all the tracks so now you shouldn't have to crank up your speakers to 150.)

Credit:
Words and Music written by Craig and Antonio.
Chord progression by Craig.
Lead guitar by Antonio.
Bass by Antonio.
Lead vocals by Craig and Antonio.
Back-ground vocals by Antonio.
Edited and mixed by Craig.

Lyrics:
Come heal me I know that you're not sane.
Why must we play this old game?
This is not how it used to be.

Red kool-aid is better than green

Burn a picture from your TV.
Is this what you wanted to see?
Take a picture with your lens.
Hi-tech cameras or your friends?

Red kool-aid is better than green and so on

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2June 6th, 2009 · 01:20 AM
8 posts
United States of America
SWEET awesme song!!!

The Slide guitar sliding was great!

keep playing!
#3June 6th, 2009 · 09:15 AM
30 threads / 25 songs
219 posts
United States of America
Excellent........... I love the simplicity. Reminds me of the English Rock invasion... similar to early Bowie but with a modern day touch. Also, the backing vocals  work extremely well and along with the  studio collage work with the guitar slides and is a great catchy hook. I think you may want to just  tune down the volume on that last bit of slide. I dont believe it needs to be at that volume to get the point across..... other then that *Great work and basically an awesome piece.
 *sounds very professional   *Keep up the great work my friend!
~ Peace ~
Fid
#4June 6th, 2009 · 11:20 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Awesome thanks fiddlah! I'm really glad you liked it. Most of the stuff I've tried writing so far has been pretty complicated compared to this, and I love how this turned out. thanks for listening and review I really appreciate it.
Do you mean the guitar that comes in at the end after the last bit of lyrics? The big "explosion"? I didn't really check the levels on that so that could be pretty loud lol. Ill turn it down. Thanks! Or did you mean the slide guitar solo? That is pretty loud too lol.

I just thought I would post who sang what because me and Antonio's vocals sound very similar.
(My lead.)
Why must we play this old game?
This is not how it used to be.
(I sing the lead here with Antonio whispering in the background.)
(This is Antonio's lead.)
Burn a picture from your TV.
Is this what you wanted to see?
Take a picture with your lens.
Hi-tech cameras or your friends?
(Back to me with whsipering in the background)
Red kool-aid is better than green and so on
(And my lead.)
#5June 6th, 2009 · 11:34 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Lovely relaxed vib. Hmm sort of Floydish. This could be GREAT.

I'm going to try and be constructive here, this is only my opinion:

Change the arrangement, It needs a Kick, Say Drums Bass and Keyboards, with the Vox becoming more aggressive, Then back to acoustic.
Yeah the electronic effects could be used in more places.
Take some Bass off the acoustic to give more Dynamics for Bass guitar  & vocals

Or keep it Acoutsic, but shorten the song to about 2.5 mins

Some minor timing issues on the Rhythm guitar.

Cheers
#6June 6th, 2009 · 11:42 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
thanks denis! yeah we were hoping to add something like drums and keyboards but didnt want to screw anything up. we will probably try some new things with this and I'll take your suggestions, youve been lots of help for me.

ok ill try that with the acoustic...maybe it sounds like that because of the bass guitar playing over the acoustic. the bass comes in right after that slow slide in the middle of the chorus : "Red kool-aid is better than green".

Most of the time consumed by this song is that big freakout on the slide at the end, but when we finalize this song, all of that isn't going to be there, and then some of that will lead into the other song.

i think before we put it on the album ill try and add drums and keyboards and work out the arrangements so it all fits nicely.

thanks denis!
#7June 6th, 2009 · 07:01 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Nice one K..Much enjoyed.Very well put together..The clean slide guitar is ace..Work on that tempo....It slacks a bit..Also record a double vocal it should give it a cool effect.....I think it has a great feel...Keep at it..
#8June 7th, 2009 · 05:01 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Marino wrote…
Nice one K..Much enjoyed.Very well put together..The clean slide guitar is ace..Work on that tempo....It slacks a bit..Also record a double vocal it should give it a cool effect.....I think it has a great feel...Keep at it..
Yeah I recently put this up try it out

http://forum.bandamp.com/Recording/15420.html
#9June 8th, 2009 · 11:31 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
thanks again for that link denis, I will really try to use more and more of that advice.

Thanks marino! Yeah I didnt use a click track or anything when we recorded the acoustic guitar...we just did it in one take. We also just recorded this song in 6 hours so it is probably far from proffesional quality wise, and that is probably why it has some of the tempo issues. thanks!!
#10June 9th, 2009 · 01:14 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
We were actually thinking of doing another take at this song, "trying again" in essence, because now we really know what we are going for and we can smooth out the solo and any timing issues, and really make it flow smoother. We were also just considering if we should change the vocal part "Red kool-aid is better than green" to "something else is better than green". can you guys think of anything that would flow just as well, but not be about kool-aid? lol

thanks!
#11June 9th, 2009 · 09:35 AM
131 threads / 114 songs
295 posts
United Kingdom
mellow vibe indeed, likin the slide guitar, i say more bob dylan than floydish, reminds me of lay lady lay 
#12June 9th, 2009 · 04:28 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
Im getting a Mazy Star "Fade into you" vibe on this meets Bob Dylan! The slide is a winner! Maybe a bit more tightness in the playing... seems a bit loose in the solo.  Good show, mate!
#13July 1st, 2009 · 09:54 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Thanks you guys. Yeah i guess we were going for more of a floydish feel, but i guess it came out this way!

We are thinking of doing another take on this. We are gonna try to eliminate the background noise and whining, we are gonna try and get it much tighter, possibly add some drums, and have the ending much shorter with the slide guitar fade out.

We'll attempt that pretty soon.

Thanks for all your helpful reviews!!
#14July 3rd, 2009 · 02:17 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Sounds just like a young Lou Reed 
Your levels are all over the place and I dont get the low trippy bit at the end (I have read the thread), but the core of the song including the slide is really good, it needs some cohesion, developing and then practicing when you've got it right. 
At this point I kind of agree with Denis that it could do with throwing it up in air and re-arranging it, it has all the elements of a totally cool song.
It sound now like you've just discovered it and your still experimenting with it.
#15July 3rd, 2009 · 05:15 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
thanks kings! yeah just as you say...we've pretty much just discovered it and I think we'll take another shot at this and try and press it out a little bit and arrange everything so it makes a little more sense.

lol yeah i noticed that about the levels. When we first recorded it, everything was very quiet because i was practically whispering the vocals, and its acoustic guitar, so I went into audacity and boosted all the vocals so nothing is even lol.

thanks for the listen though. we are gonna continue to work on this. thanks!
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 7:37 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.