1 2 3

#1September 7th, 2007 · 05:41 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
Bandamp..shopping list--shopping trolley
BANDAMP IS GREAT
BUT....
I thought it might be a good idea for us all to think about what improvements we might like for the site in the event of a site rewrite..............
wot functions....aspects....improvements would you like 2 see made to this site ...............
Its a very open question.............hence the launch in the pit.........
but it might help the site (and its members) programmers develop.............
we could kind of build a shopping trolley of things that might be good for us all
then see what is possible and of course what is not
could be a usefull thread for all........

i like the pit cos its the first place i (we) look

the idea behind my post is to gather all our ideas into one thread....ok

OK can i go first.............

the fish
#2September 7th, 2007 · 05:47 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Bandamp..shopping list--shopping trolley
my beef is about the chat room .......could this be improved.........next time around?
i dont think i need to tell u all how
its a bit of a bus station the way it is now

anybody there??????

swordfish
#3September 7th, 2007 · 11:37 PM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
BATTLE SYSTEM
redo the whole thing. I have given my thoughts before on this subject, and I think I have some pretty good ideas. But of course that's me. Also, I'd like to see a theme challenge, in addition to long-ago stated ideas.
The prizes don't seem worth it at all to me. Songs should be specifically uploaded to participate in a particular contest. The voting needs to be totally rethought.

Basically, the battle system is nonexistent right now. That should change.
#4September 8th, 2007 · 04:55 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Yeah well I'm still waiting for word from mud, last time we had contact he was going to Burning Man and he should be well back by now. So far the site was being transferred to a seperate (new) server, I suppose that process has been completed now. Next is appointing some members (with programming experience) to give access to the code (we've made a selection of who these are going to be). Then we will also appoint members to be in charge of certain aspects of the site, like, possibly, off site promotion for instance (just a idea at this stage), but more importantly making a "board of directives" to make important decisions about the site and it's possible upgrades. Ofcourse everyone will get to voice their suggestions, ideas and opinions, but it would be unworkable to make decisions if we'd have to wait for EVERY member to speak their thoughts before making a move... And in the past, we've seen that if only one person disagreed, the whole upgrade would not pass through. Hence a central group of people will speed up this process, we can't give rights of veto to everyone... Who these are going to be is not sure... That is for the community to decide, though Jimk and me have thought of a set of people we think will be very much up to the task.

When this will eventually lift off is not sure at the moment, but it's coming for sure.

In the meanwhile, try following swordfish suggestion to make suggestions of improvements here, because that's what this thread is for, believe it or not. Lol...
#5September 8th, 2007 · 05:15 AM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
thanx for that update puppet
Shopping List Contd........

Howabout VidAmp????

Fish
#6September 8th, 2007 · 07:41 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
My suggestions would go towards maybe having a beginners tab or packet link where free software and use directions can be obtain.It might be beneficial to have maybe say:
1-Audacity and such
2-mp3 converters
3-vst and plugging
4-drum machines
5-sample and sound banks.
6-FL- Demo
We all post in the lessons or recording area some info regarding this but my point is that as a new comer you actually see on the home page or tab section in a very to the point and accessible way to start the music process.Not all musicians are computer savvy (I'm not)and providing them with an accessible and clear way of getting started may play a key part on the initial enrollment.

I'm not into forced reviewing but i do favor a sort of incentive reviewing process.I believe content and length should be open at the reviewers discresion and reviewing shouldn't be mandatory except for the standard initial starting process already implemented.The general idea would be to have a ten best reviews or top reviewers (most reviews)for each month based on the reviews placed on the musicians post(again not mandatory).I understand this can also work against us so maybe leave it alone might be best.Just though I mentioned to see if there's a way of getting more participation.

Anyway go Swordy good thread!
Marino
#7September 8th, 2007 · 08:42 AM
17 threads / 3 songs
185 posts
United States of America
the ability to control music (streamed or down loadable)

fix the chat

Info page on important musical information like copyrights or a link to the copyright page (more for beginners to get a clear understanding about their rights) ie  http://www.copyright.gov/  trademarks ect..

get the voting and song view counters fixed

make the password selection instead of generated by bandamp ..make it user choice....like on some sites they send you a conformation link that sends you to page then you change your password to something you will remember (hopefully) 

collaboration  upload center(page) a place where you can upload ideas or songs, and ask for help on your music
#8September 8th, 2007 · 09:02 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I think implementing the 'sticky' thread element into the site would be a good start, so that the Mods can put the 'most important' issues on top of each forum. This could include ; the most important tips on uploading songs, (every one gets the usual problems at some time) on the Tech support , WillyDKs FL tutorials on top of the Lessons page...and the list goes on.
Marino:
My suggestions would go towards maybe having a beginners tab or packet link where free software and use directions can be obtain.It might be beneficial to have maybe say:
1-Audacity and such
2-mp3 converters
3-vst and plugging
4-drum machines
5-sample and sound banks.
6-FL- Demo

thats an excellent idea, it would certainly bring more people in to the community. as WillyDKs tutorials do.
And one could argue that such a page (with plugins and sofware links) would be essential on a MUSIC site!!!!!

I personally think that a 'Collab' forum alongside the 'Audio review' is a good idea, and that a lyrics tab be implemented on the home page of those members that post lyrics, just like the 'blog' tab.

[edit] just read your entry Goatman:

"make the password selection instead of generated by bandamp ..make it user choice....like on some sites they send you a conformation link that sends you to page then you change your password to something you will remember (hopefully)  [:shake:] "

I changed my password the first day I signed in, cant remember how here and now, but I've always had my own anyway!
#9September 8th, 2007 · 10:30 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
WHY do we start this discussion again again again and again?

Didnt we talk enough about changing this site?

Read my posts and you can see what I would like to see.

BATTLE SYSTEM hmmmm....... what for? why battle if there is no goal or success? what happens when you won the first place???? are you going to become a v.i.p. or what? and who cares? ok I know you are the #1 for a certain time. and now?

CHAT hmmmmm...... what for? bandamp members are online but ramdomly in a chat. they mostly are chatting via skype or yahoo or msn or whatsoever. the chat thing should run by entering the site maybe in a separate window. so you can be active whenever you want w/o leaving the mainpage. but again who cares?

PASSWORDS hmmmmm.... I dont think we need passwords. Who was the funny guy using my account?

I dont believe that our ideas will be born one day into a innovative website. And I dont believe that Mud is on the way to change something.

At this point I want to say a great thank you to the persons who enabled this site for free.

Keep it clean!
#10September 8th, 2007 · 10:36 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
still one thing....
why doesn't Mud enter his site to write some statements? why must PuppetXeno always  translate his conversations with Mud? Is it a secret? Cant speak Mud by himself?   

I would say:  hey Mud cmon and talk to "your" users and tell them directly your point of view.
#11September 8th, 2007 · 10:56 AM
17 threads / 3 songs
185 posts
United States of America
hmm battle ...I understand that winning a battle really means nothing ..other than the fact the you get some recognition from your peers that you did a great job... if the voting counts were fixed and working off percentages like they're supposed to then I think you would see people inter into the battle just to see how well their songs are liked... but....

I had a idea awhile back that you can upload your songs for free but if you wanted to enter into battle you would pay a small amount (this being strictly used to purchase prizes for 1st,2nd and 3rd place winners) with account receipts for purchases against entered in money.. a small percentage could go to the site and programmers for their efforts.( or not)..  but at least this way prizes could be purchased for battles and it would not be coming out of just one persons pocket..

If the chat worked better I think more people would use it...I know I would ..I have used it and would use it a lot more if it didn't kick me out ....or act up and go so slow... plus some chats have a im/pm or whatever you want to call it available in the chat so you can go to private chat if you need to without having to go to yahoo or skype...

password should be used to help prevent someone from coming in and jacking around with the accounts...plus I read in a post about running links to songs off of here and chewing up resources..if there was no passwords someone would sooner or later figure out a way to use this server for there own purposes..spam generators..bots  running in the background
#12September 8th, 2007 · 11:46 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
btw
happy birthday greg
#13September 8th, 2007 · 02:16 PM
76 threads / 5 songs
529 posts
Cook Islands
I'm going to have to agree with all of you.
I also like the idea of vidAMP...and maybe like a chat system to where we can talk to each other rather than to use Skype(since most of can't afford it...)
But I can't really say much since I am a newbie compared to the rest of you...

(happy birthday )
#14September 8th, 2007 · 02:40 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
MeowMachine wrote…
I'm going to have to agree with all of you.
I also like the idea of vidAMP...and maybe like a chat system to where we can talk to each other rather than to use Skype(since most of can't afford it...)
But I can't really say much since I am a newbie compared to the rest of you...

(happy birthday )

Hmmm I think Skype is free Meow!
Anyway Vid is good !!!!!
#15September 8th, 2007 · 02:43 PM
76 threads / 5 songs
529 posts
Cook Islands
Marino:No its not.I once downloaded it,but it never worked then I went on the site again to re-dl it,and then it said it costs
1 2 3

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 9:58 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.