1 2
#16May 14th, 2007 · 11:03 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
What you need
Well, you have to ask yourself, what do you want to accomplish from your recording? Why are you recording? I mean, If you want to produce CD's for sale to the public, you need to get REAL GOOD GEAR, and I would suggest going to a pro studio, and letting those guys handle it, because they have the gear, and know how to use it, You can literally spend THOUSANDS and still sound like crap, because you don't know how to use the gear right, trust me, there is WAY more to it than sliding some levers around, and turning a couple knobs. Now, for home based recording, for demo's and just posting some decent recordings, like we all do here(some more decent than others) It isn't hard to get decent, or even great sound. But, cost is a major thing, you still are going to end up spending a grand or more to get decent gear that will do a great job. Or you can go for cheap gear, that gets a decent recording. I personally used Audacity for most of my songs, until fairly recently, like 6 months or so ago, I switched to using Cool Edit Pro exclusively. I have a mic that is plugged direct into my sound card, and I either mic my epi Valve Junior, or, hook through my Fender G-dec amp, using the headphone out direct into the soundcard. The bass I will usually hook direct, and apply some minor effects after using cool edit, to get it smoothed out(though sometimes I screw it up real bad doing that(hahaha) anyway, I spent a whole $20 on mics(I have 6 of them).. And my computer, well it was $200..  and My monitor, I got a flat panel LCD 19" widescreen, it was $159..  And that is it for recording gear, the software was "given" to me, and pm me if you want to know where you might "get" this wonderful software. anyway, that's it..  THe rest is learning how to use the filters, compression, reverb, etc to get the track clean, smooth, and sounding sweet.  So, now, you need to decide why you want to record, and that will tell you the direction in which you need to go. Don't let ANYONE tell you you can't do a decent recording with what you have now. I do it everyday. A cheap web mic, and Audacity, and I'll make you somehting that sounds crisp, clean, and not too shabby...  But, you need to decide how crisp, how clean, and how not so shabby you want your recordings to be...  ;o)

JimK
#17May 14th, 2007 · 03:05 PM
50 threads
259 posts
United States of America
WELL...
ok I have recently talked to my
uncle who is like my role model
but i have decided that no matter
how much I try I have to spend
atleast a grand to get "decent to
good" sound but i dont mind
I want to do this so I have decided
to get the Boss BR-900 CD
because I was descussing this
with some friends and a bunch
of guys over heard what i was
sayin and they want to record
some stuff and this has good
effects and can burn CDs straight
off of it!!! Thus I now  Introduce

"CUDDA RECORDS"

here Is a list of what I want to get

Speakers- Some old ones that work good and have great sound quality (Bose)-free
Recorder-Boss BR-900 CD-$700
Headphones- Sony MDR-V150- $14.99
Mic- Naddy CM-88 Condenser Mic-$39.99
Mic Cables-Musician's Friend Low Z Microphone Cable XLR-$8.99
Synthisizer-Cakewalk Z3TA+ Waveshaping Synthesizer-(if there is a way to get this free I would love it thanks)
TOTAL= about $755

Is this a good setup I need the synth to make rap music right
well thats what these guys want and I didn't add it
to the total because if i cant get it free im not getting it
anyway is this a good setup?

(BTW- I know I said I hate rap but if it help pays for my stuff
I will make it you know I don't even have to really listen to it
I want to make it sound good though cause It will have me as the
recorder or what ever the lable I guess)
#18May 14th, 2007 · 04:32 PM
1 threads / 1 songs
18 posts
United Kingdom
Sorry it took a while to reply..
Personally I don't use the CD burner on the Boss - it's fairly pointless from my point of view, as I USB everything over to my computer for editing before I burn anyway.. and once it's on the computer, it's hard to get the finished thing back on the Boss.

However I like the effects
(Even though I only use like two )

I dunno about the synth...
Maybe consider a cheap keyboard, if you can play?
You can pick 'em up for nothing, and then with a decent MIDI program, you can play around with them that way.
#19May 14th, 2007 · 10:01 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
Ok buddy....  To start..  you're gonna need a good program..  Cubase, Sony Acid, or Fl Studio (my personal favorite)( Hit me up in chat or pm and we'll talk about that) are up at the top in my opinion.  (and yes, Dear Kings, there is a work around for the issue we encountered).  Next, to record external input like vocals, guitar, etc..  you're gonna need an interface. (soundcard with the proper inputs)  These generally run 99$ and up but they can be found cheaper...  its gonna depend on how much you want going on at any given time.  Oh, and you'll need a mic, guitar, etc... (obviously)  If you already have the externals and the pc then you are about 90% there.  You can also run through a mixer if you like for external mixing but all of that can be done within the progs I mentioned.  Kings, obviously has issues with Fl Studio! LOL! Love ya, Kings.  But as you will see and have seen, Im sure, there are alot of us that are very happy with it.  It works great for the music I do, but see Marino's "I meet Fl-7 " to see what can be done with external instruments...  Any other advice you need just hit me up, im here for ya.

p.s. about the Synths....  Those can all be accessed through the software mentioned above.  There are lots out there that emulate everything from synthesizers to Moog bass synths..pianos, etc..  I would say to go that route for starters.  Later you can add a Midi controller (keyboard) to have a more hands on experience..
#20May 15th, 2007 · 02:50 AM
37 threads / 19 songs
618 posts
United States of America
Here You Are..
here are the url's - addresses on how to
to your own "audio" desktop recording
studio started for less then $100.00..
the software of course is free downloads.
and this setup does not include midi..
I will add midi information beneath the
webpage addresses I am about to put up..

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-MUSIC-FAIRY-OPTIMZE-YOUR-PC-MUSIC-such-as-rock_W0QQitemZ5876901146QQihZ008QQcategoryZ31495QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

http://www.behringer.com/502/index.cfm?lang=ENG

and free software is

http://www.pcmus.com/Free-Software.htm

now that software page also had midi software on it.  but now you can go to
one of the other sites like majorgeek.com or download.com - cnet.com and
find other free midi - audio recording software!!!

As for midi, I have a turtlebeach usb - midi interface that sold new for
$75.. there is a cheaper one for like $49 I believe..  but for mine
and the drivers I will take $40 plus you pay shipping cost...

and that would still keep you under $100 for a complete audio - midi
desktop recording studio!!!!   even though I would suggest getting
the behringer uca202 audio to usb interface for $39 which would then
put it still at less then $150...  and with the version of the midi interface
I have, would, all around be the best and still cheapest setup!!! audicity,
reaper and kristal are three very good free software programs...

well there you have it.. I just did all of the leg work for you.. now it's
up to you and your desire bro.. it's in your ballpark.. well that and your
bank account......

Dan - Blueyes
#21May 15th, 2007 · 08:50 AM
50 threads
259 posts
United States of America
GEEZ
EVERYONE IS CONFUSING ME!!!!!!!
GAH, make up your minds people!!!!!
no I'm just kidding though I am a  little
confused I am trying to understand this
all the way through.... I'm going to get the setup
I mentioned above because of the fact that
i will have the money to get it and I don't
want to buy something for 100-200 dollars
and then after I learn to use that Start all
over again and buy new equipment 
you see where i am coming from guys?
Now that we have this cleared up What is a
good cheap/free way to soundproof a room
could I get those like big egg holder sheetsof card board
and put those up with spray adhesive?
Or is studio foam the only good way?
Thanks for all your help guys!
#22May 15th, 2007 · 01:44 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
Unfortunately you cannot "Soundproof" a room.  There are alot of things you can do to lessen the amount of soundwaves escaping but theres no way to completely prevent it.  To answer your question, you'll want to get a decent studio foam kit that includes some bass catches.  I think the egg crate idea, although a good one, would just be an exhaustive waste of time.
1 2
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 9:05 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.