1 2

#1March 27th, 2007 · 04:07 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Playing your Bandamp songs offsite
http://www.avinashv.net/2007/03/27/playing-your-bandamp-songs-offsite/

I wasn't getting much of a response so I hacked together my own method after a little bit of tinkering.  This is a tutorial of how to get what I have going.  It's pretty easy to do.

This weekend I'll probably write a tool that will do this and provide code--depending on how it goes, I may even make it remotely hosted: i.e. you don't have to install the SWF player on your own website--perfect for forums, etc.
#2March 27th, 2007 · 04:24 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
hmm very cool stuff to know/
#3March 31st, 2007 · 02:29 AM
31 threads / 20 songs
96 posts
Canada
ATTENTION!

If you really love this community, then don't do this. This is theft.

Just like anything else in the world, traffic to the site costs money, and once BANDAMP goes over it's set limit, they pay even more money for traffic. So if you you have a site, host your music there, don't steal BANDAMP's bandwidth.

Don't.
#4March 31st, 2007 · 03:40 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Watch what you call theft.  You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Wherever I post my version of this, I have a link to the Bandamp page.  Everyone knows that this is linked on Bandamp.  I don't make any false claims that it is hosted on my own website.

This actually reduces the strain on Bandamp's servers in terms of bandwidth--if I linked a person here, not only would Bandamp pay for the streaming of the MP3, they'd pay for all the bandwidth that goes with displaying the page: html, css, javascript, images, processor usage for processing the SSC, the database access which further intensifies the server usage.  If I stream it off my website, it would be only the bandwidth of he MP3.

Which leads me to a few observations.  Do you not want me on here at all?  By your analogy, just posting here makes me waste Bandamp's bandwidth.  Do you wish me to leave?

Is it a matter of money?  They clearly don't need it--where are the ads?  Where is the donate button?  I would GLADLY click on ads and GLADLY donate--I've managed tens of websites over the last 9 years, and never once has anyone donated when I ask--even though I provide free content.

But still, out of respect to the webmasters, if I were to be dignified with a response to my queries in this matter, or even if an admin straight up told me that they don't want this, then I would stop immediately.  I'd edit the post on my website to state that this is not what they want.  I'd post here saying that this is not what they want.  Whatever--give me a response.

So don't preach to me.

Don't.

[edit]  How could I forget--yes, I really love this community.  It's why I am actually posting my music which others would pay for as free access and download.  It's why maybe hundreds of people post retail-level music here.

And you can hold me to my previous claim--if it's a problem of money, show me a donate button and I'll donate money tomorrow.
#5March 31st, 2007 · 07:54 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Went to your web site, read your posting, listened to your song streamed from the BandAmp site.  All seems pretty damn cool to me!
Don't know the ins and outs of whether this breaks any rules - but I don't really see how it can if you only link to your own music.
Maybe Mud (if he's still around) could answer this one.

#6March 31st, 2007 · 09:09 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Very cool indeed!
Liked the way you highlight script text on the blog page! 
I also thought of bandwidth theft but reading further you obviously know your stuff.

This is a very good idea for bands or individuals starting out with a 'free' home page, if they cant host their music somewhere else.

Really like your site and view!   BTW! 

I'll tell ya what I like! I like the spellchecker program, I know its a .js file but I haven't checked it out yet, so that's all I know!
#7March 31st, 2007 · 10:37 AM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
If it was theft Im sure who ever is hosting this site would waste no time letting us know as it is posted obvious enough for all to see.  We appreciate your concern DJ. (good lookin out) but Avi obviously knows whats up. Go on Avi, we gotchoo!
#8March 31st, 2007 · 01:06 PM
31 threads / 20 songs
96 posts
Canada
In fact it seems you are the one without the legal knowledge. Unless you have the authorization for that, it is bandwidth theft. Explanation:

Still if you think about it. If you have your own hosting, why do you stream from Bandamp.
I consider it theft unless you've communicated with mud or another admin and asked if that is fine. If not, then you are redirecting bandwidth without authorization.

Also there is a difference between a visitor and a listener. A listener on your site probably won't come to BANDAMP, whether they enjoy or not enjoy your music. To them it's just the music player, why would they go to the bandamp site. On the other hand when you link to the song page, the user discovers that this is a music community.  In one situation BANDAMP loses 3-4 mb of bandwith and doesn't get a visitor, in the second one BANDAMP loser 3.5-4.5mb of bandwidth and may get a frequent visitor.

If you have your own domain name and your own hosting, then why stream from bandamp?
#9March 31st, 2007 · 02:18 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
I haven't seen anything in the rules against me doing this.  Hence this is not theft.  I'm going to re-read them right after this--if I did break the rules, obviously, things will change.

[edit] read through the rules and I don't seem to be breaking anything by doing this.

I stream from Bandamp because the people who come to my site form two categories (I basically have the statistics to support this):
 - People who go through my website and NEVER click the Bandamp link or the play button on my website.
 - People who will click the play button and then click the Bandamp link.

I want people to go and look at the Bandamp page.  My friends and family get to see the comments, they get to see where I spend time, who these great musicians are that I always mention, etc. etc.  However, the majority of my reader base (besides friends and family) constitute of techies and "geeks".  My entire post-set consists of less than 5 music posts.

But, regardless, I don't see why I should have to upload the songs to two places.

And as I've said several times already, it seems to be a problem of the money for the bandwidth--put up a donate link and I will pay for myself.

More than anything this was for (as mentioned), bands who aren't tech savvy and start on their own free websites that only allow limited space and bandwidth.
#10March 31st, 2007 · 08:52 PM
24 threads
319 posts
Malaysia
I think this is cool! It's good for all, artist and bandamp.
#11March 31st, 2007 · 09:01 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
I feel like a tool because I almost forgot--Thank you to all of you who showed me support in the matter.  I appreciate it more than I think you realize.
#12March 31st, 2007 · 10:04 PM
44 threads / 6 songs
305 posts
United States of America
Hotlinking anything is so not theft. What are you smoking, buddy?
#13April 1st, 2007 · 12:05 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
theft or not theft, that is the ?
ok...

You are legally allowed to host your files here, and link to them on other sites....  It was stated by the powers that be....

So, it is not theft, and it is a cool idea....    Although DJSkygrinder's efforts are appreciated, It's cool with the site owners to promote your songs, and host them here....

JimK
#14April 1st, 2007 · 02:51 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Well, I appreciate an answer.  It's been almost a week since my original question, but regardless, I know now.

Maybe the site owners will come out and respond to the queries of us mere mortals one day, huh?

Thanks.
#15April 6th, 2007 · 07:44 PM
1 threads
79 posts
United States of America
From what I understand, he means theft as in people will probably just avoid the site altogether and miss others content by just hosting your song with the player offsite. It is a drain on the bandwidth but wouldn't be a problem if it was a direct hit to the site instead of offsite. This is just what I think DJ means, but I could be wrong. As for the hotlinking thing, it would be theft if there was a copyright or something I imagine. Then again, hotlinking is cool because you can mess with the person by blocking hotlinked images and redirecting them to more nefarious images instead. :P Everyone just relax and have a beer, it's friday, go out and have fun. No need for arguing.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 24th, 2024 · 1:08 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.