1 2

#1June 8th, 2012 · 03:13 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Audio Collaboration Software
I've recently downloaded and installed OHM Studio Beta , it is an audio studio with the emphasis on Collaborating.

The interface,  graphics and animations are cool, it seems to have all the standard functions a studio should have,  recording audio/midi/automation, vst support (comes with a load of its own plugins too), bouncing tracks, inserts, sends etc etc.
It's all fairly straight forwards to understand as it's very similar to Cubase and other programs that most of us already know.

It has a few features that are new to me which I find very nice : rotating of the track list from horizontal to vertical and the chat window.
Chat window can be distracting for those who chat a lot but it is very handy, especially when your learning about the program but essentially it is used when your working on a production together.

The project files you create can be 'cloned' and made 'public', these are then open to collaboration with anyone who 'picks them up' .... there are tossers around who delete and destroy projects ... they are few and far between, pitied by the community and a cloned project can always be re-uploaded anyway.

It is in a Beta testing stage so there are developers around the chat to answer questions and it's a free download at the moment. They will (and should) ask money for it eventually, when it's all good. Until then your free to take part, make suggestions, learn and develop with it.

You do need to register and log in to start the program, so it is a cloud based audio studio and your projects are saved automatically on their server ... but you can open your own project any where from any system ... like opening email, simply have the program installed and log in to your account and your projects.

There are probably other ways and other programs that do this but I have not come across them yet.

Would love to know what you think of it or of any other suggestions
#2June 8th, 2012 · 07:53 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Downloaded and installed it during my lunch break at the company. Download is ok, first run checks for updates and then I get a message that the server is down or I dont have an internet connection. I do have a connection but our company runs through some weired proxy ways. Maybe this is bad luck because the software cannot be started behind a proxy server.
Try it at home tonight....
#3June 8th, 2012 · 09:10 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
Downloaded and installed it during my lunch break at the company. Download is ok, first run checks for updates and then I get a message that the server is down or I dont have an internet connection. I do have a connection but our company runs through some weired proxy ways. Maybe this is bad luck because the software cannot be started behind a proxy server.
OK so it may not be exactly as checking your emails and that it needs to communicate with the server in ways that your company doesn't allow yet.
Though if I was your boss I would not let you near it at work ... it's way too time consuming !

It is in BETA so there are issues ... like my win7 has had to restart on start up since I installed ... well it seems that way in any case, if it has anything to do with ohm studio your guess is as good as mine.
It crashed on me a few times and it's hung, O! and I had a vst instrument interface stay on my desktop after the program was closed ... so yes there are issues, but these I've shared on the forum and in feedback.

It is fun ... testing, trying out, sharing the experience with others, some know nothing others know a lot.

But I will say looking at it now if it keeps on developing in this way ... with direct user input and participation this program could overtake FL by miles in a very short time ... they will have to be reasonable with the pricing or registering costs ... but it is definitely a winner
#4June 8th, 2012 · 09:20 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
kings wrote…
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
Though if I was your boss I would not let you near it at work ... it's way too time consuming !
I am an admin 
But I don't have access to proxy and firewall. They are managed by externals. So I don't have to ask for a snapshot of the network traffic while the software starts. I found out, that this recent release I downloaded is from yesterday, June 7 2012.
#5June 8th, 2012 · 09:53 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Yes, I downloaded it two days ago ... had a few crashes and hangs but then yesterday when I opened it it took me straight to an exe install ... I accepted, it installed and it worked a lot stabler. Haven't crashed or hung since, though the hanging vst interface on an other screen has happened again.

Yea someone has to keep a check on Admin as well ! 
#6June 8th, 2012 · 03:09 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
Hi guys
I'm gonna check this out tonight
#7June 10th, 2012 · 02:55 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
So any one get into this ?... except for TK (invited you as friend ... dont know if and how it works)
It is limited in what it can do ... the chat is a cool place for help ... but it's only just a studio, there's no audio editing, it cant load REX files and other formats, so working samples is limited, there's no video editing / sync track
But it's fairly easy to follow and nice to use.

I think the big question is ... how much will it retail at ... especially if they were to implement all the ideas and features that have been suggested to them.
If all the functions of a standard software studio work in it this thing could be more of an addiction to some  
#8June 10th, 2012 · 04:48 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
been reading and am interested, but dont feel fore crashes etc..had enough of 'm lately.
maybe after some upgrades and some more experiences...
Ore an impulsive moment when i have more free time :p
I did try such a program a long time ago, that didnt work well then because of latency..
Keep us informed here pls!
#9June 10th, 2012 · 05:58 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
MaxdB wrote…
been reading and am interested, but dont feel fore crashes etc..had enough of 'm lately.
maybe after some upgrades and some more experiences...
Ore an impulsive moment when i have more free time :p
I did try such a program a long time ago, that didnt work well then because of latency..
Keep us informed here pls!

A lot has to be said for the user in many cases .... I was having problems yes, I changed my whole system over to my M-Audio card so no ASIO4all and DirectX and I've had no problems since.

My only problems now is that I cant 'really' use the program because I like to play with samples though there are ways around the restrictions with vst plugins .... but then some of them have bugs in the program ....
but it's got me into Cubase again    
#10June 11th, 2012 · 03:23 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
But then check out some thing like this project, there's a few people involved and it's shaping up nicely ...
http://www.ohmstudio.com/node/22171

As modern as the program is it's not all techno dnb ...

Or something like this one .. http://www.ohmstudio.com/session/693/blues-o-mat

These are open editable projects, you open them and collaborate.

Ha! a perfect way to make a bandAMP track ... loads even ...
#11June 12th, 2012 · 10:04 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
don't know how to use  
#12June 12th, 2012 · 05:49 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Audio Collaboration Software
[quote=kings]I've recently downloaded and installed OHM Studio Beta , it is an audio studio with the emphasis on Collaborating.

The interface,  graphics and animations are cool, it seems to have all the standard functions a studio should have,  recording audio/midi/automation, vst support (comes with a load of its own plugins too), bouncing tracks, inserts, sends etc etc.
It's all fairly straight forwards to understand as it's very similar to Cubase and other programs that most of us already know.

It has a few features that are new to me which I find very nice : rotating of the track list from horizontal to vertical and the chat window.
Chat window can be distracting for those who chat a lot but it is very handy, especially when your learning about the program but essentially it is used when your working on a production together.

The project files you create can be 'cloned' and made 'public', these are then open to collaboration with anyone who 'picks them up' .... there are tossers around who delete and destroy projects ... they are few and far between, pitied by the community and a cloned project can always be re-uploaded anyway.

It is in a Beta testing stage so there are developers around the chat to answer questions and it's a free download at the moment. They will (and should) ask money for it eventually, when it's all good. Until then your free to take part, make suggestions, learn and develop with it.

You do need to register and log in to start the program, so it is a cloud based audio studio and your projects are saved automatically on their server ... but you can open your own project any where from any system ... like opening email, simply have the program installed and log in to your account and your projects.

There are probably other ways and other programs that do this but I have not come across them yet.

Would love to know what you think of it or of any other suggestions[/quote

Not got to it yet....doh
#13June 13th, 2012 · 05:39 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
re: re: Audio Collaboration Software
[quote=swordfish]
kings wrote…
I've recently downloaded and installed OHM Studio Beta , it is an audio studio with the emphasis on Collaborating.

Not got to it yet....doh
Swordy ... and TK ... It's ended up acting up like my FL, I dont know what I do but its started distorting badly. I started a new project and it was ok ... so there must be a plugin or something bugging it.
As I said it's also limited to what you can do with audio.
I set up the m-audio asio as I had no other choice where the program was involved, my system as a whole has benefited from the change but the ohmStudio has not  ... !
I'm finding that I truly like what I know best ... Cubase 
#14June 14th, 2012 · 04:07 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
re: re: re: Audio Collaboration Software
[quote=kings]
swordfish wrote…
kings wrote…

Not got to it yet....doh
Swordy ... and TK ... It's ended up acting up like my FL, I dont know what I do but its started distorting badly. I started a new project and it was ok ... so there must be a plugin or something bugging it.
As I said it's also limited to what you can do with audio.
I set up the m-audio asio as I had no other choice where the program was involved, my system as a whole has benefited from the change but the ohmStudio has not  ... !
I'm finding that I truly like what I know best ... Cubase  ;)

dont think all m-audio's are the same, but i never got mine working properly without ASIO4ALL, did you try that one as  'intermediar' ?
#15June 15th, 2012 · 05:50 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
@Max, I've tried the ASIO , I've tried MME and I've tried the Windows Direct Sound all with different choices of ins/outs and all a different way of getting the system sound to work.
The MME setting (in ohmStudio) gives me all the choices that my system has, all m-audio ins/outs, all the creative ins/outs and the onboard card, yet it distorts badly (in ohm)
The Windows Direct Sound also gives me all the choices but also distorts (in ohm)
The ASIO setting gives the choice of ASIO DirectX (installed by Creative) , Asio4All (installed by FL), Generic Low latency (on board card WIN7 drivers) and the M_Audio Delta ASIO

After having read about ASIO I think it worked as an 'intermediate' in XP abut that Win7 has a different system.
The first problem is probably that I'm not setting it up correctly yet I've tried most combinations but I cant seem to set one card for ins and another for outs, as I've read that some people do
And if I change the settings I also have to change the cables every time,  Midi ins and Speakers out, when all I want is this stupid program to work !

Nice try ... I'm sticking with Cubase it gives me a perfect sound, no problems and I can do exactly what I want to with my samples and midi .... sold to the highest bidder  !    

Will say one thing though the guys developing this program are listening and acting on users ideas ... the update last night included 'movable chat window' a suggestion a few people including myself had given them in the forums.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 16th, 2024 · 3:15 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.