1 2
#16November 15th, 2006 · 04:39 PM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
re: best guitarist is probably in his room now
toastedgoat wrote…
best guitarist is probably practicing now in his room somewhere out ther in the world. Man the discussion of best guitarist can't easily be answered. IMHO you have to also look at style of music. Classical : Andre Segovia, or John Williams; Classic Rock: Blackmore, Page, Clapton,. Rock Randy Roads, VanHalen and two that are often over looked Rick Emmett, and Alex Lifeson. Metal: (Damn there so many badasses here) Dimebag, Alex Skolnick
list is to big.  Guitar Rock:  Satch, Via,Petrucci,Eric Johnson, Ritchie Kotzen, Gary Moore, List is to big Blues: Buddy Guy,BBking, Blues Saraceno, one of my favs. Stevei Ray Vaughn. again list is to big.  So many great guitar players out there all contributing there knowledge and style and dare I say it Soul for us. Great time in history that we can so easily exchange informaton. In the earlier years most of us would probably never of had a chance to hear the great musicians and composers. oh well I rant again 

ps. almost forgot Pat Matheny and Joe Pass.

Im very impressed you mentioned Rick Emmett.....Rock n' Roll machine! Nice shout out to the Canadian boy!
#17November 15th, 2006 · 05:59 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
I think Mike Scaccia kicks ass (what? huh? who?) but I wouldn't call anybody the "best" guitarist ever. That's just insane.... Mark Knopfler is very good at what he does... pleases the senior citizens, but listen to his stuff, if you get into it you GOTTA have respect for the man. What about David Gilmoure? John Fruscante?.... Duhhhh... What defines the "greatest" guitarist? Who is Bandamp's greatest guitarist? (had to use that one too) To me, the greatest guitarist should be able to play any style (classical, flamenco, rock, metal, psychedelic, ... anything you can think of; Mike Oldfield, anyone??) very convincingly... I'm not impressed by dudes who stick to one style only... Their "skill" can be unveiled easily if you listen from an unbiased point of view.

Truth be said: Malmsteen is good, real good! Dimebag was a hero, real hero... Hendrix is GOD! (had to use it again) but what is the true reason I never bothered to collect any material by any of them
#18November 15th, 2006 · 10:37 PM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
Play any style?
That's Page! He is the guitarist in my favorite
-Rock
-Country
-Bluegrass
-Calypso
- Blues
- Acoustic
-Metal
-Folk
song.
I don't think he ever did a power ballad, though. Ah well. They bore me anyway.
#19November 16th, 2006 · 10:26 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
well rounded can play anything
My teacher can play anything. I mean it. from Chet Atkins country to the baddest classical, blues, metal, because he teaches all styles he has learned all of it ( he doesn't write or play originals) .

Steve Morse is one of the most well rounded players able to do classical, country, rock, pretty much whatever he wants to play.
#20November 18th, 2006 · 08:56 PM
35 threads / 26 songs
107 posts
United States of America
re: Malmstein...
JimkDaAdtman wrote…
Yeah, he is incredibly fast... but I like Basket find him to only be fast... not inspiring really.....  In my opinion Randy Rhoads was and will always be my vote for the greatest guitarist of all time...

Jimk

Yea, me too. RR all the way!!! to bad he had such a short carreer....

#21November 19th, 2006 · 01:11 AM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
My top 3 list:
- Jimmy Page ( Led Zeppelin)
- Alex Lifeson ( Rush)
- Steve Howe ( Yes)

But I got to agree with many people here about many good guitarists in their own style.

> Iszil
#22January 21st, 2007 · 04:02 PM
10 threads / 3 songs
69 posts
United States of America
Oh Yeah!
  Randy Rhoads is pretty awsome and I have the "Friday Night in San Francisco" album that goatman was talking about. BUT, Jason Becker and Marty Friedman, the two guitarists from Cacophony have to be the best.
#23January 21st, 2007 · 06:54 PM
21 threads
235 posts
United Kingdom
I need to collect material from all guitarists mentioned here. Especially the flemenco and classical stuff, I can't seem to find it for free and I'm too poor to spend cash on it.
I have to say I disagree with PX on the multi style point. I will only ever be able to play one style but I'd like to think that, with alot of luck, inspiration and practise I could become as good as one of the greats (Whether it's apreciated by the damn masses or not). The reason I can only play one style, I don't know. I don't care, but I'm gonna use that style to the fullest I can.
But, I really do see the point PX was making. It's one of the things that make a good guitarist and musician, versatility(real word???). But just because you don't have it does not mean you can't become one of the greatest(with the many who are out there).
IMO
#24January 22nd, 2007 · 04:27 PM
10 threads / 3 songs
69 posts
United States of America
hey Moses
hey go to http://www.limewire.com/english/content/home.shtml

Download Limewire basic, my friend says its free.
#25January 22nd, 2007 · 05:41 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Sorry to but in, I just listen to guitar heroes (I'm one of the damn masses!!!!!), but, Moses when are you going to learn?   
Moses wrote…
But just because you don't have it does not mean you can't become one of the greatest
Glashopper say WONG! SOO VEWY WONG!!!

How can you be 'one of the greatest' if you haven't got it? If you haven't got it you haven't got it!  It's as simple as that!
It is the greatest! 
#27January 22nd, 2007 · 07:30 PM
21 threads
235 posts
United Kingdom
re: hey Moses
kings wrote…
How can you be 'one of the greatest' if you haven't got it? If you haven't got it you haven't got it!  It's as simple as that!
It is the greatest!  :evil:

I meant "got it" refering to the versatility skill only. I still feel that I could have the inspiration and technique in the style of metal, especialy if I keep practising, to get close to be one of the greats. Not any time soon, but maybe one day. Plus I love the idea of mixing diferant styles etc etc.
Mind you, I rekon after you got good enough at one style and created your own(one of the things I rekon is most important) it'd probably be easier to learn others.
I don't know, but my point was I don't feel you "have" to be versatile to be one of the greatest...it just helps....alot.

noholdsbarred wrote…
hey go to http://www.limewire.com/english/content/home.shtml

Download Limewire basic, my friend says its free.

I've already got a shareware program (Morpheus, slower but limewire and bearshare(owned by the same company) don't work on my comp). Plus I'm gonna get a differant type of program soon, for download sites like pirate bay and the such.
Cheers anyway man.

*goes to part river*
#28January 22nd, 2007 · 07:52 PM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
re: Oh Yeah!
noholdsbarred wrote…
:evil:  Randy Rhoads is pretty awsome and I have the "Friday Night in San Francisco" album that goatman was talking about. BUT, Jason Becker and Marty Friedman, the two guitarists from Cacophony have to be the best.

Wasn't Marty Friedman in Megadeth? name rings a bell.....
#29January 22nd, 2007 · 09:10 PM
10 threads / 3 songs
69 posts
United States of America
yeah
Yeah, Marty was megadeth's best guitarist.
He really brought a new side to Megadeth's solos.
1 2
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 27th, 2024 · 12:01 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.