1 2 3 4

#31September 23rd, 2006 · 06:51 AM
24 threads
319 posts
Malaysia
no...no...giving them a designated area to smoke is not giving up....expecting them not to is unrealistic. See, my school had no designated area and smoking was completely against the rules, but did the students care? no....course not.

the teachers did try to take some action, it only made the students pissed at them. but when fellow friends and girlfriends approach them, they put quitting into consideration.
#32September 23rd, 2006 · 09:31 AM
21 threads
235 posts
United Kingdom
Quite frankly schools a bunch of %*&^" anyway. Why are the schools responsibal for kids all the way through the day. Surely it'd make more sense for them to only be responsibal for them durin lesson time. That way they could let them bugger off durin brake. That way school wouldn't be the prison it is now. Plus, that way, they could smoke or not or whatever, depending on where the law is gonna go.
This would also get rid of alot of disobediance cause kids wouldn't feel so trapped. Yes they're in class for education but where else are they gonan be. Even I didn't have a problem with that. But After that, they should be alowed to leave school grounds to go chill with their mates and, if that way inclined, have a smoke.
Instead, it's like, "break time kids, you don't have to work, but like hell can you relax".
Then they wonder why kids get pissed at their teachers.
#33September 23rd, 2006 · 12:15 PM
6 threads
138 posts
India
well, hardcore RULES don't work always.

in my country hawkers are not allowed to set up their stuff in and around 100 meters of a school. smoking is strictly banned at school n kids who caught are kicked out of school for a couple of days. BUT it does not work all the time. kids get around rules and smoke........

showing someone smoking in a movie is also in the country.

i think that rather that convicting them by law.........moral values should be used. creative ways must be applied which will work best  for your school but may not for others. so you've got to find a way that works best for you. many have already given good approaches.

smoking is a dangerous thing and should be kept away from kids till they are old enough to decide. after all you don't want 12 years old's smoking.
#34September 23rd, 2006 · 03:59 PM
20 posts
United States of America
Sorry can't help ya there, my school had a smoking lounge for the students, or maybe that was the solution. You could only smoke in the lounge, if you got caught anywhere else you would be suspended
#35September 23rd, 2006 · 09:25 PM
8 threads / 2 songs
47 posts
India
a lounge.....???
wierd....
#36September 27th, 2006 · 08:40 AM
31 threads / 5 songs
178 posts
Spain
I'm not saying it's easy - it's the hardest solution of all, but unless the kids are persueded to not want to smoke, they'll always find a way.

If you just want the problem out of the school, then maybe all these hard line tactics make sense, but they will also breed rebellion and they'll want to smoke even more, even if they don't do it in school.

I'm just pointing out that most people here are addressing the symptoms, not the problem.

So, how would you actually change a kids opinion of smoking? If you crack that, you'll have done them all a huge favor...
#37September 28th, 2006 · 10:52 AM
29 threads / 14 songs
355 posts
Poland
Daeljan wrote…
So, how would you actually change a kids opinion of smoking? If you crack that, you'll have done them all a huge favor...

by doing that - "Stick 'em in your ass"

Stck 'em in your ass
#38September 29th, 2006 · 03:09 AM
31 threads / 5 songs
178 posts
Spain
Fantastic!
#39September 30th, 2006 · 11:19 PM
8 threads / 2 songs
47 posts
India
this is a good protest!!!
#40April 2nd, 2007 · 01:54 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
smoking = bad fer ur helth.
kids need educazion cuz they gonan slack ther spellin
so dey gonan need disciplin which involves not leaving the school ground - they will wander off and decide to skip class and hang in places where they will disturb other citizens. or they will do things that law enforcers don't like because hangin out gets boring after a while, and action must be taken against boredom whether you are smoking or not. and schools are areas where smoking is disallowed, just like on many other jobsites, because people have the right to clean air and if you're so eager to make everything around you smell bad, do it at home.

smoking = bad fer ur helth, it stinks, it tastes bad, and it compromises your lung capacity which will make something simple like running 100 yards become an overwhelmingly heavy task to pull off without going completely exhausted, ending up sweating like crazy and grasping for breath in the end (sounds familiar, anyone?) if you still think that's not a really big deal you need to have your head examined aswell.

Also, I believe smoking is generally considered to be carcenous, which means you can die a horrible, slow and painful death years before your time if you keep it up. If you think that's not a really big deal you need to go figure what it would be like if that actually WILL happen to you, and how you'd feel having to spend the last of your days hospitalized with machines doing all the respiration for you coz you won't be able to do it yourself no more. BTW smoking in hospitals is disallowed aswell. You you lose anyway....
#41April 2nd, 2007 · 03:54 AM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
Quit, ya jerks!
Ok, here's how my school goes...

There's NO SMOKING WHATSOEVER.
Why should smoking students get a special lounge all to themselves? I think it's quite irresponsible for teachers to allow that. Also, there's been a crackdown with teachers checking in toilets regularly for smokers. That's after all the health classes that show all the rotting lungs and dieing people from smoking.
But, I think someone mentioned too many restrictions on the kids, our school has a lunch pass system where they can go home for lunch, they can smoke there, if their parents allow it...

Through school I had the constant hammering of information about cigarettes, drugs and alcohol (I know the last one's not too bad, just a moderation thing...) so, I'm solid anti-smoker, I'm asthmatic, so I'm not too keen on hanging around smokers, passively smoking. It's just putrid...

Furthermore, there's this kid at my school, just recently moved here, he's of legal age, but, at the end of the day he hopped off the bus and lit up, the kids on the bus cheered as if he was a role model, it made me sick.

As others have metioned, zero tolerance, I'd assume the detention/suspension/cut from extra curricular activities is the same at my school however, I doubt we'd get warnings, it's a cigarette, god damn it! It's your lives you're playing with, and I doubt "I was just experimenting" would still work as an excuse nowdays.

Also, the cigarette ban has taken to bars and restaurants, hopefully only restricted to the streets soon enough, it's good to sit down for a meal and not having a waft of smoke excreting toxins into your lungs.

Hey, JBP, hope whatever you choose works, if it does, those kids better kneel down and kiss your shoes for giving their life back. Nice pic by the way 
#42April 2nd, 2007 · 10:46 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
hmm
the above post actually has a point. even though it was not meant this way ...........it is illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to buy or to sell cigarettes to anyone under 18 yrs of age............They are cracking down on offenders of this around my area. 

They have now banned smoking even in bars in this city. (how many years of playing in smoky  clubs , wonder what that has done to my health)  Yeah!!!!!!!!  I don't smoke cause I think it's one of the dumbest things anybody can do...........spend a lot of money   22.00 to 30.00 us dollars a carton.......for no real benefit ..........just  bad health, stained teeth, and bad bad smoke breath...yuck.

I think it's going to take a bit to get the problem fixed, but correct information to the kids early on in their childhood about the real health risks of smoking.............The illegality and punishment of it ........the financial burden ,and  just the overall  ignorance of smoking.  The absolute physical devastation from  lung cancer....throat cancer, tongue cancer, esophagus cancer , all associated with higher risk to smokers.  If the kids understand this,  and see this even thought it's not pretty to look at,  you'll shock at least some of them into not smoking..... plus add campaigns like the butt poster,  that depicts  smoking as uncool and ridiculous, will help some. ...There will probably still be some hold outs  but we just have to try and do what we can do. We could vote for the  stopping of manufacturing of all smoking products. Make growing tobacco illegal, selling tobacco accessories illegal  ect. , But then you'd just have a huge black market of the stuff . 

Personally I think we're heading in the right direction ....the adds about what is in smokes and the health risks are doing some good. We just need to inform the kids at an early age.  Give very stiff penalties to anyone caught giving or selling cigarettes to a minor.....just like if they gave them illegal drugs...seeing as it is against the law, and nicotine is just as addictive as  meth, or heroine.
#43April 2nd, 2007 · 05:10 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
re: Of Course
rokit wrote…
To stop smoking, the smoker must 1) have a true desire to quit; 2) work the rest of their lives to stay quit.

It isn't easy.  It is easy for someone who is not addicted to tell a smoker to "just quit".

I was a smoker for over 10 years, with a peak period of smoking atleast 1 pack (25) a day, and sometimes more than 2 if I was going out. I quit roughly three years ago and am entirely happy with that decision. I "just quit", so to speak, threw a full pack in the garbage can and that was that. And the reasons? I started to hate the foul taste in my mouth every morning, that raw sensation in my throat, the compromised lung capacity... That certainly outweighed the positive effects of nicotine.

First three months were difficult, after that it became easier quickly, and the more I thought about it the more I realized that when smokers claim to be "fully aware" of the bad side effects, they really don't know how wrong they are. You can only become fully aware after you quit, it's a world of difference. I feel so much healthier now, I have a lot more energy, it's like the difference between having a bad cold and not having a bad cold. I'm not kidding. Smoking makes you sick (well known symptom: smokers cough), but you don't know how healthy you can be if you're used to that condition, suffering from it always. I know I may be taking this thread even further away from it's original intent, but I thought I just had to share this experience, because it's relevant to the subject.

And yes I also claimed to be aware of the bad effects of smoking, atleast it's one step in the right direction, but trust me you're not aware until you experience the difference. And once you do you dont wanna go back ever again.
#44April 3rd, 2007 · 01:30 PM
31 threads / 20 songs
96 posts
Canada
just have to involve suspensions in this. but the legal age of smoking let's say in ontario is 16. However, ontario also fines if you smoke on school property. 1st time its a warning, second time its 250$.

So yep. let them play, remember yourself as a kid. just don't let their fun damage ur school, therefore: SUSPENSIONS!
#45April 5th, 2007 · 10:32 PM
44 threads / 6 songs
305 posts
United States of America
PuppetXeno wrote…
Yep... That oughta do it... Zero tolerance policy... Give them one specific area where they can smoke and act zero tolerance if you catch them smoking outside that area.

And place some mansized posters with pictures blackened of teeth, carcenous lungs and rotten throats in the area where they ARE allowed to smoke... So that they can clearly identify the smoker's area... That'll teach em :evil:

And have a teacher there to slap them in the face everytime they walk out of the area.
1 2 3 4

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 11:28 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.