#16August 19th, 2010 · 08:31 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
#17August 20th, 2010 · 01:24 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Think I'm just gonna write an email to that webmaster, asking for clarification.
All in all that site is very much in the "grey" area as it certainly links to all sorts of mp3, including those of commercially released ones, it just says that if you - the end user - chooses to NOT DELETE the song after download, you, the end user, is infringing copyrights.. hehehe that's a good one.

I mean it's like an employee at a music store letting his customers take all their CDs and DVDs home without paying, just saying "but please bring the item back after you've listened to it, otherwise you are a thief and that's illegal"

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But I'm surely going to see if there's any music on there which I so far do not have in my library. Kinda depends on the webmaster's response to my email though...
#18August 20th, 2010 · 08:44 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Extremely bizarre, I've just downloaded THE GREAT LOST LIVE ALBUM (Disc 1) by Led Zeppelin, a 38mb 30 minute playing mp3.....how I'm expected to use that as a ringtone is beyond me...but I'm most grateful for the mp3.

This link of yours PX is turning out to be a blessing   

All the songs it comes up with are just mp3s out there on the net, unprotected on servers somewhere.

You could point a finger at Mud for not 'protecting' the song database, as SkunkApe says members upload music to sites where only logged in members can play and download their material. This is not the case at bandAmp, the songs here are open to all...who know how to 'grab them'.

Which is not a bad thing, you make music to be heard, no one can hear you scream at the bottom of the bandAmp mp3 database !!!

For them it's not about mp3s with tags or lyrics or mp3 playlists....it's about our "ringtonepartner.com", there are no adds on the pages either, they probably dont need them......enough being made by setting up sites like this and selling ring tones......extremely bizarre !
#19August 20th, 2010 · 12:46 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
re: .
FLYER7747 wrote…
I have mixed feelings about the 2 songs of mine/ours being on that site.

1)  I take it as a compliment that someone would like the work enough to post it.
2)  How in the world does one find out if their work is being sold.
3)  This could be a good thing for Bandamp and the members. Obviously, someone out there has noticed the talent that has been hidden to a majority of the world and is exposing it.
4) I just hope that is what this turns out to be and that none of us run in to a copyright infringement problem and the headache that will go with it.

First of all, all of the songs that are on my page are protected. So if anyone does try to sell or claim a song as their own I can prove otherwise. Does anyone know who the site belongs to?...

I don't think it has anything to do with someone liking the work or noticing a talent. All the site is is a robot that randomly roves everywhere looking for mp3s....it found these and put them on the site. I HIGHLY doubt they are on there because they see talent. Its just randomly looking for mp3s...and all of mine that are on there are for Member Download Only and one of them is NO downloads at all yet its still up there. what the flip.
#20August 20th, 2010 · 12:49 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
kings wrote…
Extremely bizarre, I've just downloaded THE GREAT LOST LIVE ALBUM (Disc 1) by Led Zeppelin, a 38mb 30 minute playing mp3.....how I'm expected to use that as a ringtone is beyond me...but I'm most grateful for the mp3.

This link of yours PX is turning out to be a blessing   

All the songs it comes up with are just mp3s out there on the net, unprotected on servers somewhere.

You could point a finger at Mud for not 'protecting' the song database, as SkunkApe says members upload music to sites where only logged in members can play and download their material. This is not the case at bandAmp, the songs here are open to all...who know how to 'grab them'.

Which is not a bad thing, you make music to be heard, no one can hear you scream at the bottom of the bandAmp mp3 database !!!

For them it's not about mp3s with tags or lyrics or mp3 playlists....it's about our "ringtonepartner.com", there are no adds on the pages either, they probably dont need them......enough being made by setting up sites like this and selling ring tones......extremely bizarre !

See I think that little ringtone link on the site is an ad and the ringtone site is a scam.
Why do I think this? Well quite simply:
I've seen a bunch of other sites where it has that little red cell phone icon, then it says Get your free cell phone ringtones (or something to that effect) and then - battlecat or whatever the artist on your search page is. its always a scam. at least thats what im thinking. maybe im wrong
#21August 20th, 2010 · 07:08 PM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
Thanks for pointing that out to me, TheKunadiun. I was unaware of that site being a bot that finds mp3's..I'm sure it was mentioned by other members. I must have misunderstood. Well, we make music for it to be heard. So, let it be heard............
#22August 20th, 2010 · 07:09 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Ehrm... awareness call
PuppetXeno wrote…
Heyas all

Not sure what to think of this... I stumbled into it while putting a search in google on my band name Totem Spectre... And I found this...

http://www.mp3hunting.com/?q=totem+spectre

Can't really recall giving this site permission to host my music, but looking at the styling/layout of that site, and the fact that

http://www.mp3hunting.com/?q=jimkdaadtman

and look at the tracks listed here

http://www.mp3hunting.com/?q=toasted+goat

are there.. I could go on;

there's a connection with mud in there isn't there..?

Now if you click on any track listed there, there's an option for sending a ringtone to your cellphone.... I mean, WTF please? Should I.. should WE.. be worried?

cheers...

hi guys....and gals, Im on here 2 ....but not bothered 2 much ....''its out there''

here is their disclaimer page ........ make of it what u will???

http://www.mp3hunting.com/disclaimer.php

fish
#23August 20th, 2010 · 11:04 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
I say we tear down the wall. also if this gives bandamp limelight then so be it
#24August 22nd, 2010 · 03:05 PM
50 threads / 32 songs
292 posts
Canada
Some stuff I actually plan on copyrighting in the future... If this continues, I'm afraid I'll have to stop posting music...

--XFactor--
#25August 22nd, 2010 · 03:50 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
re: re: Ehrm... awareness call
swordfish wrote…
PuppetXeno wrote…
Heyas all

Not sure what to think of this... I stumbled into it while putting a search in google on my band name Totem Spectre... And I found this...

http://www.mp3hunting.com/?q=totem+spectre

Can't really recall giving this site permission to host my music, but looking at the styling/layout of that site, and the fact that

http://www.mp3hunting.com/?q=jimkdaadtman

and look at the tracks listed here

http://www.mp3hunting.com/?q=toasted+goat

are there.. I could go on;

there's a connection with mud in there isn't there..?

Now if you click on any track listed there, there's an option for sending a ringtone to your cellphone.... I mean, WTF please? Should I.. should WE.. be worried?

cheers...

hi guys....and gals, Im on here 2 ....but not bothered 2 much ....''its out there''

here is their disclaimer page ........ make of it what u will???

http://www.mp3hunting.com/disclaimer.php

fish

We could mail them stating that we don't allow any conecion between them and BandAMP, this meaning that their search engine should block and result related to the AMP data base.

> Iszil
#26August 26th, 2010 · 12:26 AM
13 threads / 13 songs
41 posts
United States of America
my 2 cents
I noticed that someone said that the guy must be a member because he downloaded mp3s... This is not true, I wasn't a member, and I found a very basic way to get the mp3 of any song on the site.... So... I dont know what has changed.

If you guys want to stop it, you guys (bandamp) are going to have to find the IP address of the bot, and blacklist it
#27August 26th, 2010 · 01:44 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
and who the heck are you? Why are you finding very basic ways to get mp3s of any song off this site?
#28August 26th, 2010 · 01:53 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
yeah well basically this crawler is just running a script to pull files right out of the BandAmp music files directory (actually only puts links to them, with it's download button running a script to make it accessible for download to the end user). I've found it possible to download any tune from bandamp, restriction or no, without being logged in either.

Not sure if it's worth the effort to do anything about this. Just that ringtone stuff on the site really bugs me, but that would bug me anywhere.

You can just contact the webmaster if you want your music removed. Actually should be the other way around, the webmaster should contact you if the music is to be featured on the site but we all know why that isn't happening.

a lot of links on the site are dead, probably as the music was either removed from the source, or blocked on mp3hunting.com. I'm not sure if I want to invest any more energy in this... apart from downloading some stuff from there that I haven't been able to find anywhere else, including itunes store...
#29August 26th, 2010 · 07:20 AM
13 threads / 13 songs
41 posts
United States of America
TheKunadiun wrote…
and who the heck are you? Why are you finding very basic ways to get mp3s of any song off this site?

I was younger, and didnt even think about getting an account at the time, It was my brothers music, so dont worry

well I think the webmaster has it in his head that "Its easier to ask forgiveness then permission"
#30August 26th, 2010 · 09:50 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
But it's fun trying to get stuff off other servers, or getting javascript code to work on a bandAmp page or putting PHP code into ShoutBoxes......just to see if what you intended works. Spamming emails is sad but you have to push the boundaries of the big machine and your self in the process.

I think a .htaccess file could protect the database....
But the question is do you want a 'sealed' mp3 database where songs sit there rotting until some bleary eyed music geek decides to go to page 232 in the Audio Review and goes "Cool song, drums a bit hard though" !!

My mp3 were not tagged, not that I know, but I'd rather have my music out there than locked up in a cupboard!
1 2
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 5:12 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.