1 2

#1August 18th, 2010 · 06:07 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Ehrm... awareness call
Heyas all

Not sure what to think of this... I stumbled into it while putting a search in google on my band name Totem Spectre... And I found this...

http://www.mp3hunting.com/?q=totem+spectre

Can't really recall giving this site permission to host my music, but looking at the styling/layout of that site, and the fact that

http://www.mp3hunting.com/?q=jimkdaadtman

and look at the tracks listed here

http://www.mp3hunting.com/?q=toasted+goat

are there.. I could go on;

there's a connection with mud in there isn't there..?

Now if you click on any track listed there, there's an option for sending a ringtone to your cellphone.... I mean, WTF please? Should I.. should WE.. be worried?

cheers...
#2August 18th, 2010 · 06:46 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
http://www.mp3hunting.com/?q=Iszil

I think there's something serious here. It's copyright infringement.
Is there anything we could do? I personally doubt it...

> Iszil
#3August 18th, 2010 · 06:55 PM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
Too true the realistic option is to just remove music or not post , as with youtube files can be downloaded embeded etc once its out there kiss it goodbye.
Interesting though if song was deleted here but stayed there
Weighing this up against  building a profile ...mmmm
maybe audio watermark .
But its nice to know people like your music enough to pay for it ....even if .00001cents  goes to someone else.

At least he could make a source link to this site

#4August 18th, 2010 · 08:13 PM
37 threads / 30 songs
166 posts
United States of America
notice on the dirty theives site there is an e-mail
 webmaster@mp3hunting.com
continuous email harrasment!!!

So if the mp3s were downloaded from this site is this guy a member?
#5August 18th, 2010 · 08:19 PM
37 threads / 30 songs
166 posts
United States of America
#6August 19th, 2010 · 01:47 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
blakhatz wrote…
Interesting though if song was deleted here but stayed there

Just tried, deleted an old collab file from my music list and could no longer play it on mp3hunting..... so it uses the BandAMP database directly, it seems.

All the more suspicion towards mud, whose style&design is all over that site (he built it for sure).

Maybe should start with writing a friendly email to webmaster first, asking for clarification. Not clear on the ringtone-offer bit though, it redirected me to commercial ringtone-king jamba site with a 6 euros a week subscription offer (wtf they thinking.. criminals!)

that ringtone part surely is infriction of the CC copyright deal. They are not allowed to make money off work licensed under Creative Commons (which you atleast agree to if you upload music to bandamp). Can't see mp3hunting making money in any other way than having a deal with ringtone companies...
#7August 19th, 2010 · 02:45 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
It's good marketing, I'd leave it.
Wouldn't it be freeky if one day you was walking down the road when someones phone starts playing one of your tunes
What's the chances of that??

Found this one their site:

Introduction

The crawlers of http://www.mp3hunting.com go over millions of pages every day, so that our users could always enjoy their favorite music. But sometimes our crawlers may come across illegal files posted at some host services.

We'd like to warn everybody in advance that we are just a search engine, and thus don't host any files and are not engaged in selling or distributing music files.

We work in accordance with copyright policy and will remove any illegal materials from out index.

If you have come across some illegal material in our index, contact us with a letter to webmaster@MP3hunting.com.

1. The letter must contain your name, address and telephone number so that we could check this information if necessary.
   2. The letter must contain direct links with the affected material. If this is the case of illegal content, describe the contents briefly.
   3. The letter must be in English
   4. Your letter will be reviewed in 3-5 business days.

If the letter doesn't meet our demands, it won't be taken into consideration.
Disclaimer:

1. 1MP3hunting.com is a search engine on music files that doesn't host any songs displayed on the site.
   2. MP3hunting.com doesn't index those files, which may be found on distant servers. MP3hunting.com has no connection or association with these files.
   3. MP3hunting.com only indexes music files and users are thus downloading them from other host services.
   4. Be sure to delete a song after you have listened to it on your computer.
   5. Users have no right to assign, copy, transfer, share or transmit music files to any third party.
   6. Mind that if you don't delete a music file after listening to it, you break the copyrights protection laws
   7. Users have no right to post a link to a music file that they know is not posted by the artist, a music blogger or other third party for promotional or other legal uses. All the rights on the songs are the property of their respective owners.
   8. If you use this site you are supposed to have read and accepted our Terms Of Service.
   9. MP3hunting.com reserves the right to remove music files from its search results for any reason that it considers to be important.
  10. If you have come across any link to the illegal file, please let us know by means of a "Report Copyrighted Link" Form. OR report it to Us webmaster[AT]MP3hunting.com . We will remove it in 3-5 business days
#8August 19th, 2010 · 08:13 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
On first reading the post PX I thought of 'automated script', as they do seam to point to in what Denis copied and pasted from their site 'were just a search engine etc', but that does not answer my other question at the time....how come they pick up your music under Totem Spectre but not under PuppetXeno?

Eftos is in there but Taka is not

I tend to agree with Denis, you've uploaded your music to the internet and this is another way the internet uses it's self and keeps it's self busy, and it's free promotion. 

They are making money on any adds....but strangely enough I was not once re-directed to any ringtone site.

But you could pick up a big legal fuss about it and get publicity for bandAmp that way.
#9August 19th, 2010 · 08:59 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
kings wrote…
how come they pick up your music under Totem Spectre but not under PuppetXeno?

Evidently they are using ID3 tags to identify music, haven't tried it but there should be Puppet Xeno tracks on there aswell. Totem Spectre has been my solo project name before I ever picked up Puppet Xeno as my individual artist/web ID, and most of my music is tagged accordingly. So if you do not put ID3 tags to your music, (like for instance, porcelaindoll doesn't... and takaminerbb13 doesn't) it has not been picked up by this search engine or atleast isn't listed anywhere.

kings wrote…
but strangely enough I was not once re-directed to any ringtone site.

If you click on a track name (for audition/download) you get to a page with a music player on it, and two buttons labelled "send this track as a ringtone to your cell" or something (can't exactly check it from here as I'm at worksite :P ).. i f you push that button it will lead to the ringtone vendor site. Though I am curious what this ringtone will sound like (if it's not just a sample) I am not risking the subscription fee or giving away any personal details such as phone numbers in any way.

kings wrote…
But you could pick up a big legal fuss about it and get publicity for bandAmp that way.

Tempting
#10August 19th, 2010 · 10:53 AM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
hmmm
How interesting... I found 2 songs on the site that I collaborated on
#11August 19th, 2010 · 12:40 PM
50 threads / 32 songs
292 posts
Canada
There was another website (I can't remember which) that has my entire songlist uploaded onto there.

I came across that site like a week or two ago, however... Does anyone know where these song files are uploaded? I've worked with websites for about half a year, using a rented server for resource storage. Just wondering if BandAMP works in the same way as this website?

Hopefully this can be dealt with soon!

--XFactor--
#12August 19th, 2010 · 02:49 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Holy frick!
I searched "Walking Stereotype" and "The Kunadiuns" and all the songs I have uploaded to BandAMP with those ID3 tags appear on the site! What the crap! Is this good? Bad? Evil? Moronic? Should we be concerned? Should we do something? It says they are just a search engine but what the heck right?

So in conclusion what should we do and is it mud and whats going on
#13August 19th, 2010 · 04:42 PM
37 threads / 30 songs
166 posts
United States of America
Dazed and Confused by all this...If this site uses search bots to roam the web and find links to mp3s are the webmasters still not "stealing" songs.  If I create a robot to go out and rob a bank, is the robot responsible or me?  And what is a ID3 tag? (no need to answer this internert-tard I'm just saying)
Furthermore if the songs are available on BandAmp for free download who cares if they are downloaded from elsewhere?  Another thing,  are these listed mp3s tagged for "download by anyone" or "download by members only" and if its the latter, how is the site bypassing the "Members Only" download?  More questions than answers here....
#14August 19th, 2010 · 06:39 PM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
well
Stories of photographers walking down the street & seeing a bus go by , one of their shots emblazoned in it's side  as an add for something are true. Also true is that next day was payday for them.
Keep your eyes and ears open and a good copyright lawyer up you sleeve.Register with apra or ascap that way there may be a tiny royalty flow from streaming.
Also am ID3 tard ,but no yokoinc or blakhatz tracks are mp3hunting ,maybe because they aren't here either tho some colab with Siren is tagged.
this is the link to transfer from website to cell phone disclaimer

*Jamster operates according to the Australian code of conduct for SMS services. U get 3 hot ringtones & 10 Wallpapers! Choose between 100% realtones, polys, monos, hilarious funsounds, wallpapers or the latest videoringtones (except erotic funsounds/videoringtones). Plus you get credits for sending 10 FREE SMS as a special bonus. Subscribe to Jamster for only $5/sms, 2 sms/week plus $5 Sign up. Unused credits will be rolled over to the next week (see terms and conditions). Buyers must be 16+ and have bill payer's permission. Standard operator SMS/WAP/GPRS charges apply. Jamster Terms and Conditions apply. Cancel: text stopmusic or stop to 194000. Need Help? Call 1800 024185 (toll free) or email: info@jamster.com.au. Payment takes place easily over your monthly phone bill or pre-pay credit. Imprint

So yeah to sum up
Keep your eyes and ears open and a good copyright lawyer up you sleeve. 
#15August 19th, 2010 · 07:44 PM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
I have mixed feelings about the 2 songs of mine/ours being on that site.

1)  I take it as a compliment that someone would like the work enough to post it.
2)  How in the world does one find out if their work is being sold.
3)  This could be a good thing for Bandamp and the members. Obviously, someone out there has noticed the talent that has been hidden to a majority of the world and is exposing it.
4) I just hope that is what this turns out to be and that none of us run in to a copyright infringement problem and the headache that will go with it.

First of all, all of the songs that are on my page are protected. So if anyone does try to sell or claim a song as their own I can prove otherwise. Does anyone know who the site belongs to?...
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 18th, 2024 · 1:58 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.