1 2

#1January 24th, 2010 · 08:37 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
The Big Question
If you were asked to save any band/artist of the modern music era what would it be?
Imagine yo get to Jupiter and it turns out to be a whole civilization and you can give them the discography of just one band or artist, the one you think has been the most important since the past century, the one that represents our world's music, which would that be?

> Iszil

Edit: Think objectively; try to ignore your tastes.
#2January 25th, 2010 · 02:00 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
two words
Pink Floyd

edit:
I think Pink Floyd really does describe everything about our lives, even if you dont listen to them or have never heard them, each album really "describes" or does an "ode" to life or whatever you wanna call it. also their music is really cool and "spacey" so for some dudes on jupiter I think theyd love it.
#3January 25th, 2010 · 09:04 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
three words
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
#4January 25th, 2010 · 02:37 PM
37 threads / 30 songs
166 posts
United States of America
This is a great question!! The Kunadiun NAILED IT.!!!  Pink Floyd. No doubt about it.  The Floyd's music is eternal.  They span generations, smash conceptual barriers, blend rock music, psychedelia, orchestral music, blues, searing guitar solos and phenomenal meaningful lyrics into a sound that cannot be denied. 
From the early experimental albums with Syd Barrett like Umaguma and Atom Heart Mother through the Roger Waters era's "The Wall", "Animals" and "Dark Side of the Moon" to the David Gilmour headed "Division Bell" album,  they have crafted possibly the greatest body of work any group has ever recorded.  I could not attempt to list the amazing list of songs by name as there are just too many!!
Of course, we'd also have to mention "The Beatles" as a 2nd answer to this question but I think Floyd has a bigger, better, cooler body of work and the Aliens on Jupiter would like Floyd much more....Skunk
#5January 25th, 2010 · 08:48 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
I couldn't have described it better myself there skunk!! You really described it in a way I couldn't have. pink floyd. epicness that lasts forever and describes forever.
#6January 25th, 2010 · 09:32 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
The Beatles will always be the band that most influenced in what came after. There's nothing new after them.

> Iszil
#7January 26th, 2010 · 01:06 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
even if the beatles did somehow "influence" pink floyd, they werent that great. if you were to introduce a band to a new planet or a new person or whatever you should try and get a band that has styles and influences from everywhere and that the lyrics can be "referred" to no matter what year it is. and if pink floyd was influenced by the beatles then it would be good to have them as the sole band to "ressurect" or give the discography of them because it brings the best of the beatles to their own style. and bam. you got a band that is timeless through the ages.

not saying the beatles arent great or were very important in rock history but if the floyd were influenced by them you might as well take the floyd
#8January 26th, 2010 · 01:22 AM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
You can't say The Beatles weren't that great. They are for sure the biggest band ever.
PF is a psychedelic progressive rock band. The Beatles has not definable style; they are all the styles.
If you say TB weren't that great is probably because you haven't listened to all their stuff. I have... and have listened all PF's stuff, EL&P's stuff and all the important bands of the past century and I'm pretty sure nothing equals The Beatles. I think Queen could be a better contestant; they were almost as big as the Beatles.
Don't misunderstand me here. I'm not talking about tastes because I love all the bands previously mentioned but I'm trying to think bigger than just that.
I think I committed a mistake when I said "the one that represents our world". I meant the one that represents our world's music (changed that already).

> Iszil
#9January 26th, 2010 · 04:15 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I was thinking Queen too, because of the amount of musical energy, diversity and emotion.

But I agree with The Beatles, simply because they were a first and that if you were to put them on a different planet the likelihood that 'aliens' would start forming bands and coming up with something similar to the 60 is very big....
The Rolling Stones also came to mind, because of the magnitude of their following compared to their 'down to earth' R&R attitude......has anyone ever played to more people at one time then the Rolling Stones?

Pink Floyd on the other hand, unfortunately for me, have started to turn sour as I grow older, mainly The Wall. Why? Well, I've started to realize that it's a little bit Biblical in that so many people are influenced by some 'poor buggers' fucked up childhood...from another era completely, and just like the Bible, too many people give them some immense spiritual value while 'god' , 'life' and 'learning' are yours and now not someone elses from another time.

Unlike Iz I see lyrics and the word as being very important, it's just that we sussed out how to 'bring the word' with music and then the Beatles came along and screaming girlies and tv made sure that Media was born.
#10January 26th, 2010 · 08:31 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
But the bigger question though Iz is where does Led Zeppelin fit into this cosmic picture.
Without Led zeppelin you wouldn't have even ask the question.

#11January 26th, 2010 · 11:26 AM
37 threads / 30 songs
166 posts
United States of America
The Beatles were an awesome group its true. Zeppelin and Queen too. But, a band like Pink Floyd writes epic songs that have content that touch on all aspects of the human condition.  They sing of relationships, love, money, politics, friendship, time, birth, death, dogs, pigs, war and peace.  From the psychedelia brit pop of the sixties, they evolved their music decade by decade evoking the feeling and the issues of the day from the post WWII depression of the 60's and early 70's (The Wall, Animals, Dark Side of the Moon) through the cold war fears of the late 70's early 80's (The Wall and The Final Cut) to the evolved views of relationships and life of the 90's (Momentary Lapse of Reason, Division Bell) . Everything about their music describes human beings and their existence in their own very unique way.  As far as Floyd being influenced by the Beatles, both bands equally influenced each other. They started around the same time but Floyd long outlived the Beatles. Early Floyd was reminiscent of the Beatles and later Beatles songs were heavily influenced by Pink Floyd. Shine on!
#12January 26th, 2010 · 02:54 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
again, couldnt have said it better myself
#13January 26th, 2010 · 05:39 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
I've always said I don't care much about lyrics. for me they are just a tool for the singer not to sing "la la laaaa" all along the song.
Here you are missing the point. We are talking about music here, not poetry. And, by the way, outsiders don't know enlgish so anything you show them will sound "blah blah blah" but the music language is universal. Is that language I'm trying to focus. You still care to much about the message of the music. I guess you should be reading instead of listening. If I want to feel touched with words I read, something I love to do. If I want to feel touched with music I listen to it.
I'm pretty sure most of people don't agree about that. Probably most of you are thinking "what the hell is he talking about!" but then I just clarify that is music that we are talking about. If you want them to know about our culture then let's give them some books (that would actually start another thread).
The magic of music is that you don't need any language to make it work. I started listening to The Beatles when I was 6 and had no clue what they were talking about but I didn't care. And they weren't a "learned taste"; I found a tape lost at home and loved them. My parents didn't even listened to them. That's music; not the words, not the textual message. It's the effect that melodies, rhythms, sounds produce in you.
Anyway, I think you gave to much importance to the Jupiter part of my question. I was just trying to ask what's the biggest band ever... don't care much about E.T life at this moment.

> Iszil
#14January 27th, 2010 · 12:31 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
well thats the thing...music is being touched by words AND the instrumentation. its not just about the lyrics and its not just about the music. when you listen to the music, its not like you are reading a book but a certain message is going across. and if you dont care about your whole jupiter thing then who the crap cares what the heck language its in??? people all over the world of different languages love the beatles, and love pink floyd. it doesnt matter...id like to think pink floyd's music transcends national barriers. (or the beatles or whatever floats your boat).

good lyrics can make a mediocre musical song, brilliant. good instrumentation can make a mediocre lyric into a brilliant song. and we are NOT talking about poetry, nor was poetry ever brought up. lyrics are an intergral part of a song, and as lyrics could technically be a poem, they are complimented or encased with the huge rush of instrumentation and musical experience.

now completely put aside your whole "i dont care much for lyrics" thing, and look at what you say about being touched by the music. pink floyds musical skill (i think) far surpasses that of the beatles. the music by pink floyd is amazing and is totally mesmerizing and touching
#15January 27th, 2010 · 06:27 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long year
Stole many a man's soul and faith

And I was 'round when Jesus Christ
Had his moment of doubt and pain
Made damn sure that Pilate
Washed his hands and sealed his fate

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game

I stuck around St. Petersburg
When I saw it was a time for a change
Killed the Czar and his ministers
Anastasia screamed in vain

I rode a tank
Held a general's rank
When the Blitzkrieg raged
And the bodies stank

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name, oh yeah
Ah, what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, oh yeah
(woo woo, woo woo)

I watched with glee
While your kings and queens
Fought for ten decades
For the gods they made
(woo woo, woo woo)

I shouted out,
"Who killed the Kennedys?"
When after all
It was you and me
(who who, who who)

Let me please introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
And I laid traps for troubadours
Who get killed before they reached Bombay
(woo woo, who who)

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah
(who who)
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, oh yeah, get down, baby
(who who, who who)

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah
But what's confusing you
Is just the nature of my game
(woo woo, who who)

Just as every cop is a criminal
And all the sinners saints
As heads is tails
Just call me Lucifer
'Cause I'm in need of some restraint
(who who, who who)

So if you meet me
Have some courtesy
Have some sympathy, have some taste
(woo woo)
Use all your well-learned politesse
Or I'll lay your soul to waste, mmm yeah
(woo woo, woo woo)

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, mmm yeah
(who who)
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, mmm mean it, get down
(woo woo, woo woo)

Woo, who
Oh yeah, get on down
Oh yeah
Oh yeah!
(woo woo)

Tell me baby, what's my name
Tell me honey, can ya guess my name
Tell me baby, what's my name
I tell you one time, you're to blame

Oh, who
woo, woo
Woo, who
Woo, woo
Woo, who, who
Woo, who, who
Oh, yeah

What's my name
Tell me, baby, what's my name
Tell me, sweetie, what's my name

Woo, who, who
Woo, who, who
Woo, who, who
Woo, who, who
Woo, who, who
Woo, who, who
Oh, yeah
Woo woo
Woo woo

1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 6:00 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.