1 2

#1October 13th, 2009 · 12:17 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Zune software and Rewrite
I'd like to hear from anybody who uses the Zune software on their Windows computer to listen to music.  The new version, 4.0, has been out for a while now, and I'm curious to find anybody else who knows and loves it.

I don't own a Zune, by the way, but the software is amazing for any true music lover.  Puts iTunes to the shame it deserves.

The reason I ask has something to do with the site rewrite that I have been not-so-amazingly working on recently.

I did some browsing on the forums last night, and it seems to me that we've had some unfortunate losses... MAP and the bummer over the Michael Jackson thing, etc.  TK's comment on swordy's "admin and the site" post in the Tech Support forum hits right at the core of it:
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
People seem to hang around on successful sites.

So my thoughts have drifted in the following direction:

I dare not say that forums are ancient things that need to be gotten rid of, but in this age of Facebook, Twitter, amazing software ideas like the Zune software for music playback... would BandAMP not benefit from a more ... thorough makeover?

In short, would it be better if we were to revise the entire workings of the site, so as to create something fresh, new, and which fits into the modern era of websites?  I can envision something like the Zune software, except as a website, where you can browse music, follow updates to people that you find interesting, post comments (similar to our existing threads) on others' music, rate music, etc, etc, etc.

I think the world is leaving the era where community websites can get away with being "just another forum".  People can decide to leave a forum, but they'll stick with their community.  Those of us still here feel the community, but clearly when people just decide to leave, they're missing the spirit of the whole thing.

So.  Assuming that a complete re-thinking would beneficial, what kinds of websites do you guys really like, and what do you like about them?  How do you think that we could take some of those design ideas and put them in a music community?
#2October 13th, 2009 · 12:43 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Sorry, but I didn't exactly understand what the big deal with Zune and how would it benefit BandAMP as a community (I suppose I didn't read this with enough attention).
BTW, what happened to MaP with MJ? I think I missed that moment.

> Iszil
#3October 13th, 2009 · 12:45 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Zune software == amazing interface.

BandAMP < amazing interface

..?

I missed the MAP / MJ thing too, but in short, he decided to leave over the resulting commentary and deletion of a thread.
#4October 13th, 2009 · 12:50 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Well, so basically, after seeing Zune, you decided that we should improve BandAMP's interfase, right?
And can you link me that thread, or what's left of it or about that topic. I'm interested.
Well, I don't know much about web design. I just know how to use PS quite decently, so may be I can help with some art design or anything like that.

> Iszil
#5October 13th, 2009 · 01:23 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
I would put it more like this:  I've been inspired by the creativity in the Zune software.

I didn't just see it and decide "oo, i want something like that".  Rather, I see that software and i think it stands as a monument to what COULD be done.  I think that although BandAMP is wonderful, perhaps one of the reasons why we don't have more committed members is because it just doesn't satisfy the needs that people have.

don't get me wrong-- i love the AMP, and I don't want to just tear it down for nothing.  All I'm suggesting is that maybe we relax, take a step back, and look at it in the big picture.  Where does BandAMP fit into the internet?  It's really just a forum, with attachments.  We want more and more community, but as it stands the site isn't keeping up with the easy design that people may be looking for.

I bring up the Zune player because of it's interface.  It's more than just looking pretty.  In fact, that's just a little side note to the real appeal--- it's so incredibly easy to use, and it links everything together in such a way that downloading music from their store can happen all in your 'now playing' playlist.  It makes mixes for you, and if you decide that you like the song, just click a little button in your playlist and it'll download it for you in the background.

It's all about design.  I don't mean to draw up BandAMP like it's a business, but companies have died because they refuse to keep themselves up to date.  I don't think websites are much different.  It takes a certain kind of person to stay loyal to a forum.  I would love to see more people in BandAMP's community, but I don't know if that'll ever really happen unless some steps are taken to give the world something truly appealing to a larger audience.
#6October 13th, 2009 · 01:23 PM
#7October 13th, 2009 · 03:36 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Really good to see you around again TLS....and with a passion.
So you've moved. Did you sort out the fuss they were making about your wife?

you wrote…
I would put it more like this:  I've been inspired by the creativity in the Zune software.

I didn't just see it and decide "oo, i want something like that".  Rather, I see that software and i think it stands as a monument to what COULD be done.  I think that although BandAMP is wonderful, perhaps one of the reasons why we don't have more committed members is because it just doesn't satisfy the needs that people have.

don't get me wrong-- i love the AMP, and I don't want to just tear it down for nothing.  All I'm suggesting is that maybe we relax, take a step back, and look at it in the big picture.  Where does BandAMP fit into the internet?  It's really just a forum, with attachments.  We want more and more community, but as it stands the site isn't keeping up with the easy design that people may be looking for.

I bring up the Zune player because of it's interface.  It's more than just looking pretty.  In fact, that's just a little side note to the real appeal--- it's so incredibly easy to use, and it links everything together in such a way that downloading music from their store can happen all in your 'now playing' playlist.  It makes mixes for you, and if you decide that you like the song, just click a little button in your playlist and it'll download it for you in the background.

It's all about design.  I don't mean to draw up BandAMP like it's a business, but companies have died because they refuse to keep themselves up to date.  I don't think websites are much different.  It takes a certain kind of person to stay loyal to a forum.  I would love to see more people in BandAMP's community, but I don't know if that'll ever really happen unless some steps are taken to give the world something truly appealing to a larger audience.
This is an excellent post, you hit many nails on da head!
I'll have to check out Zune to see what you mean exactly.

I've said this before , the nature of the universe is to grow and develop, if bandAmp does not comply to those simple rules then people will just leave it behind.

If you have the key to change bandAmp.com TLS do it, it's a really nice, soft, pleasing, clear forum set-up and people can upload music, but thats about it, the rest is full of double entries and generally old and disfunctional, and it's owner and creator Mud clearly doesn't give a flying toss about any site or community!
Do what ever you can with it, if you can.

Yea! I miss Minds!.....and a few others.

Funny! I was looking through bandamp.us last night, haven't done so in a while, I could do with some feed back on some php matters, hope you have the time now to pop in regularly!     
#8October 13th, 2009 · 04:02 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Most certainly, kings.  I'm going PHP crazy for my new job, so it's quite fresh in my mind.

I've still got access to the bandamp code (the current code that the website runs), though it's pretty messy.  The time it takes to really figure out the current code would be comparable to just rewriting it, honestly.

Be sure to google "zune software", and not just "zune".
#9October 13th, 2009 · 06:33 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
a bit of a shambles
Hi TLS .........

I'm so glad to see you back posting on the amp .........
I believe the amp is now in a bit of a shambles on many levels...........
I sat back for months and months hoping that you were coming up with a cunningly redesigned site  .......... and that never happened!!!!
and I now dont suppose it will.............?
Perhaps as is.......... is fine for what the site is????
I kind of put faith in those around me .....................And feel I have been let down..........
Lots of talk and no action over the months.........

WHO THE HELL MAKES DECISIONS ??????

WHO ARE THE MODERATORS???

please respond........

hapless fish
#10October 13th, 2009 · 06:55 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
I use the Zune software all the time and I don't own a zune. I do agree I really liek the software and the interface so youve got a good idea going here...now to put it to good use
#11October 13th, 2009 · 07:03 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
That's good to hear, Kunadiun.

Browsers (except for the damned Internet Explorer) are now supporting the next-gen standard of HTML, making websites more naturally powerful, without the need for Flash, etc.

I would really like to leverage some of these upcoming features of browsers and make something impressive and really functional.

Fish, as for the rewrite progress--
I have been taking a long break from the rewrite for purely practical reasons.  I hope that we can build up a fresh new base for this site in the coming months.

I've noticed that several things are kind of broken with the current site.. favorite users, photos (sometimes?), etc.  It just seems like things are kind of sputtering, even though it's generally still works.  If BandAMP were a vehicle, a right-minded person would take it into the shop.
#12October 13th, 2009 · 07:04 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Oh, and nobody makes decisions, Fish   That's part of the problem!  There's no definitive Admin that knows how to do everything we need!
#13October 13th, 2009 · 07:06 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
So wheres the BandAMP Auto Repair shop? lol
#14October 13th, 2009 · 07:07 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
I think it burned down a couple of years ago..
#15October 13th, 2009 · 08:16 PM
50 threads / 32 songs
292 posts
Canada
I think if the site has a remake, we could have a logo contest at the first few weeks to "freshen" things up a bit. Nothing against the current amp playing the guitar thing, but since everyone seems to be on the idea of "change"...

Of course, I don't think this means that we should retire the current logo, but rather archive it somewhere - maybe like a contest every so often to see what people submit for the site logo. And with that, the reward would just probably be that the site logo gets to be posted up for a week or two until the next one comes in.

Another idea (instead of replacing the original logo) is to just put up the top few on that news feed (that I've noticed rarely gets updated, hehe).

Anyways, I can't wait till the new layout comes out! Will be looking forward to it, TLS!

--XFactor--

P.S. I totally dig the Zune. Never used one, but Apple's crappy iTunes interface and the lack of "technical stuff" drives me insane and has proved that the Zune (and whatever else is out there) is wayyy better than iTunes. Nothing against iPods though. The "Sync" button is such a terrible way to transfer stuff.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 5:09 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.