1 2

#1May 18th, 2009 · 11:59 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
The Gig
HOORAY!!!! Ok so the talent show was on Saturday May 16th...and it went GREAT!!!
We practiced for months on "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" and the crowd loved it. there was so much cheering it felt so great.

since we couldnt find a drummer and they didnt really want a drumset in there I had a backing track of the drums going behind us while we were playing. we opened for part 2 and set up during the intermission.
I gotta say I was pretty nervous...but it went great.

we filmed it so Im gonna edit it today and hopefully post it somewhere so you guys can see. i did guitar and backup vocals, my friend did guitar and keyboard, and my other friend did lead vocals.

This was our first ever gig, and for now our band name is 140 Degrees Satellite but no one in the band likes it although the audience liked the name...lol.

there were a few minor screw ups in the entire thing...(i.e. at the beginning, i started the solo like a half a second too soon before my friend started to play the right keyboard note, my friend missed a note on his solo, he started one of the parts too soon when the backing track first comes in, he dropped his pick, the lead singer forgot his lyrics and looks at me during the middle of the song and is like "what was it again?" lol) god what a show. IT WAS AWESOME!!!! AGHAGHAGHAG

lol video coming soon

oh yeah i used my G&L guitar for it...what a trusty axe. it stayed in tune..nothing broke..great tones..it was great
#2May 18th, 2009 · 07:16 PM
24 threads
166 posts
United States of America
hye man...
 GONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
its nice to hear about some good news!!!!!

and man... don't sweat the small stuff ya'know?
lol SOUNDS LIKE YOU GUYS KILLED!!!!!!

keep up the good work!
#3May 18th, 2009 · 08:48 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
thanks man. im almost done with the video so ill upload it soon!
#4May 19th, 2009 · 01:21 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Haha, nice, I'm looking forward to see that video!
#5May 19th, 2009 · 12:28 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
K, Yes it really sounds like you had an excellent time, I also want to see that video.
You write a good gig review too, it's as if I was there!
#6May 19th, 2009 · 12:34 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
You know, when I was doing shows (with a different name and band, a few years back), every show was amazing, not because we performed perfectly, but because of exactly what you said in your post    By the end, we would always pack up and listen to people congratulate us, and we'd all give that exact same god what a show. IT WAS AWESOME!!!! to each other

May many more shows come your way 
#7May 19th, 2009 · 04:14 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
lol thanks guys. it was great...even though we like totally screwed up we didnt really even care at the end...it was very fun.

video coming very VERY almost soon. lol.

thanks!
#8May 19th, 2009 · 07:56 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Cool cool cool..can't wait till I see it!!
Sounds like it was fun..No worries about the minor stuff...No one is thinking of that except you so don't sweat it..
#9May 20th, 2009 · 01:08 AM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
Cool
Way to go lil man...I'm sure that you guys did a fantastic job...so what if you had a few mistakes...that's the way you all are going to learn how to improve..I'm looking forward to seeing the video...Keep it up
#10May 21st, 2009 · 07:39 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
very cool . First one down.. many many more to come...? sounds like you did good.
#11May 21st, 2009 · 08:22 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
yeah there is another talent show coming up in the fall so we are trying to learn 2 or 3 songs this time so that we might be able to do at least 2 at the show.
#12May 22nd, 2009 · 02:50 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
the video is complete watch it here and tell me what you think: http://140degreessatellite.blogspot.com/

i think i might upload it to google video or youtube or something soon
#13May 31st, 2009 · 07:27 PM
23 threads / 14 songs
515 posts
Japan
concept of working live with good backing track is great in this size gig ,work on those vocals guys .....nail the harmonies  they can really lift this song up where it belongs. The guitars & sweet keys are great in the mix, which was recorded on cam mic ?

way to go
Y
#14May 31st, 2009 · 09:04 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
thanks yeah, we thought a backing track would work quite well in that aspect.

yeah all the audio is from the camera that we recorded it with. not the best quality...but certainly not the worst.

thanks a bunch! we're still practicing so hopefully we will nail the harmonies. thanks!
#15June 1st, 2009 · 05:07 PM
2 threads
9 posts
United States of America
Ambitious choice of songs; gotta give it up for that. Was really digging your guitar tone in the first half of the vid, and the drum track worked out nicely. I've always thought Nick Mason has a pretty straightforward but extremely effective drumming style. As you mentioned, the vox need work, but that's always the most difficult part for anyone. I think we've all been in bands where the vox aren't quite where we'd like them to be.  It's always difficult to reproduce a tune from a band that is as tight as the Floyd, and this is pretty well done. Too bad about the drum track; not having a live drummer leaves no leeway for improvisation or taking the tune any different except the "exact" way you guys did it.

Also, you guys need to loosen up!  I know you want to be perfect and you're probably nervous (I read this was your first gig, no?), but have a little fun out there. Maybe down a couple shots before you hit the stage. Always works for me. 

Overall, pretty good stuff.  What other type of music do you guys do?
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 3:09 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.