1 2

#1April 22nd, 2009 · 01:00 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Free web site hosts
Anyone help me create my own web site, I googled and found some free hosting sites
http://www.110mb.com/

How do I get started.

Cheers
#2April 28th, 2009 · 10:35 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Hey-- just saw that this went unnoticed and un-replied-upon.

Looks good.  If you're planning on just having personal space to host whatever you want, you could try using their visual editor.  They claim it's a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor, but I haven't tried it myself.  It's good if you want to have a site without having to worry about programming in code.

Assuming you don't need any fancy database stuff, and you want to stick to either HTML (with their visual builder, or your own hand-coded stuff) or PHP (more advanced, but powerful), then it looks great.  There's a pay upgrade to get a few more things, but you probably won't care about that stuff if you're simply looking to get something you can call your own.

Any particular points you want ideas for?  The basic idea for any site is to have a layout, which is probably based on what kind of things you want to have on the site.

Any ideas?
#3April 28th, 2009 · 11:45 PM
30 threads / 25 songs
219 posts
United States of America
Hi Denis,
 what most people don't realize is with any ISP service.... the companies offer you free web hosting space at no extra charge.... When I build a website I actually use one of the oldest and easiest html editors ever........ * I use Netscape 4.0 "composer"    you can do just basis html like Tonight mentioned...... or you can get as fancy as you want adding any kind of script tag you want.... it's user friendly and I would be willing to walk you through the basics so you can get an idea......   The nice thing about using the  space your ISP gives you, which you already pay for, is  you dont end up with a web address that has the word  ( for instance)  i.e.  "Geocities  involved within the  web address name. *Let me know if this interests you and I most certainly can help...
 I am going to post a web address for a website I built for my friends 80+ year old dad, using netscape composer...... this way you  can at least see its capabilties... which is really endless.... its just all in the script,,,,,,, you can make it simple or as sophisticated as you want  *just want to make sure no one is considering this address I am posting as spam........ this is just an example ok?
~  Peace buddy  ~
John

http://www.billsfoxrun.com
#4April 29th, 2009 · 05:30 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TonightsLastSong wrote…
Hey-- just saw that this went unnoticed and un-replied-upon.

Looks good.  If you're planning on just having personal space to host whatever you want, you could try using their visual editor.  They claim it's a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor, but I haven't tried it myself.  It's good if you want to have a site without having to worry about programming in code.

Assuming you don't need any fancy database stuff, and you want to stick to either HTML (with their visual builder, or your own hand-coded stuff) or PHP (more advanced, but powerful), then it looks great.  There's a pay upgrade to get a few more things, but you probably won't care about that stuff if you're simply looking to get something you can call your own.

Any particular points you want ideas for?  The basic idea for any site is to have a layout, which is probably based on what kind of things you want to have on the site.

Any ideas?

Thanks TLS,

Basically I want a simple web site to upload my music which would be free to download.  After posting this thread, I realized that I need to have at least 2GB of storage, so this free hosting site will not suffice, I've googled some there are some reasonable offers, which I'm tempted to go for. Also, I believe I'll need some form of mp3 player, and various PC skills to embed them, again done a google, it looks a bit involved for me, but I'm willing to learn.

If you have time I would love for you to run through it with me, perhaps we can do an Internet chat, I'm on gmail talk an yahoo messenger.

Cheers
Denis
#5April 29th, 2009 · 05:50 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Fiddlah wrote…
Hi Denis,
 what most people don't realize is with any ISP service.... the companies offer you free web hosting space at no extra charge.... When I build a website I actually use one of the oldest and easiest html editors ever........ * I use Netscape 4.0 "composer"    you can do just basis html like Tonight mentioned...... or you can get as fancy as you want adding any kind of script tag you want.... it's user friendly and I would be willing to walk you through the basics so you can get an idea......   The nice thing about using the  space your ISP gives you, which you already pay for, is  you dont end up with a web address that has the word  ( for instance)  i.e.  "Geocities  involved within the  web address name. *Let me know if this interests you and I most certainly can help...
 I am going to post a web address for a website I built for my friends 80+ year old dad, using netscape composer...... this way you  can at least see its capabilties... which is really endless.... its just all in the script,,,,,,, you can make it simple or as sophisticated as you want  *just want to make sure no one is considering this address I am posting as spam........ this is just an example ok?
~  Peace buddy  ~
John

http://www.billsfoxrun.com

This looks great John, I've actually got a copy of microsoft front page, it seem quite easey to use, I just want to put up about 12 songs for people to download free of charge, and use it as a family web site.
It looks a bit envloved on getting your songs on.  What's Netscape 4.0 composer like in comparision, can I download it free? What would I need to put up mp3's on my web site and for visitors to download.

I suppose as long as my ISP give me enough space, I'll be able use it, funnily enough I got an email from them yesterday saying that I can have 5GB of storage FOC, but I', not sure if I can use it for a website, I'll look into it.

Anything to assit me would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Denis

*Edit: I checked out my ISP, can only upload 55mb, but you can put up 5GB for storage, don't suppose they work together, I think I'll have to shop around for a host, there seems to be some good deals around.
#6April 29th, 2009 · 03:43 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
For an audio player, I think the best (and easiest, as a bonus) player you could use is the simple out found here:

(download for the player files)
http://www.1pixelout.net/download/audio-player.zip

(tutorial on how to use it in your own website)
http://www.macloo.com/examples/audio_player/

It requires that you open up your web page's source code, but so long as you can figure out where you want the player to appear, it's really not hard at all.  Just copy and paste the code examples.

Aside from that, Frontpage isn't a bad option if you're just want to visually go about making the site.
#7April 29th, 2009 · 05:24 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TonightsLastSong wrote…
For an audio player, I think the best (and easiest, as a bonus) player you could use is the simple out found here:

It requires that you open up your web page's source code, but so long as you can figure out where you want the player to appear, it's really not hard at all.  Just copy and paste the code examples.

Aside from that, Frontpage isn't a bad option if you're just want to visually go about making the site.

Thanks again TLS your a   ***STAR***
I'll let you know how I get on, next step is to find a host.
#8April 29th, 2009 · 07:25 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Interesting subject......playing audio on a web page.
If you open my home page www.kingsonone.com you should hear a sound.....and it should work for everyone. If you 'view page source' you'll see the code at the top of the page, it's the only javascript on the page.
It finds the users browser, makes x-mplayer2 it's default mimeType and then plays an .M3U file.......this page explains it better ; http://www.scriptwell.net/howtoplaysound.htm
Different browsers , different OSs and different users are a web designers nightmare I suppose.

I found the code on my page at http://sonify.org/tutorials/ but my link to it didn't work this time around, scriptwells code is the same code.
Sonify is a good source of information about playing audio through different types of media; javascript, flash, mobile phones etc

Yet again mp3 flash player is the easiest to install and most people do have flash.

Do let us know how you get on indeed     
#9April 29th, 2009 · 07:37 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
your kingsonone site plays the sound after I accept the activeX control or whatever.

very cool indeed!!
#10April 29th, 2009 · 08:43 PM
30 threads / 25 songs
219 posts
United States of America
Hi Denis,
 as TLS mentioned frontpage is basic..... BUT.. and this is important... #1) many ISP's will give you 2 gigs upto 10 gigs free space which is more then enough   (here's where the "but" comes in) #2)  Many Isp's are not compatible with frontpage as an HTML editor because of the fact it is written with "microsoft" secret source codes embedded into your website, SO when you upload your webpage to your ISP the  source isnt always recognized,, and if it is.. it doesn't  come out the way you see it  when building it. ** Sounds strange , but Frontpage has always had this issue with 90% of ISP's ... This even happens if you just build with frontpage and then use a 3rd party software which would be your "FTP" connection software to upload to your ISP.  This is why I love Netscape "Composer"!  It is actually a part of the old browser "Netscape Communicator 4.79" *It is included with the browser, just an add-on.  I also use  "FlashFXP" as my FTP client when uploading... It is  simple, once you  obtain the ftp address from your ISP  and you enter that as well as your password (which would be the same password  you would use with your ISP for your email) 
 Here is  a link to Netscape Communicator 4.79 download.... it does not mention that it has "Composer" is built in as an add-on,. Composer will be part of this package, I have the exact same setup saved.   Also, Denis, if you download it..... make sure that you do a custom install, because  you are not going to want anything to do with the Communicator (browser) part.... just the "Composer"  * I would be more then happy to walk you though any process of your procedure. I have Skype as well as yahoo messenger,,, I can always send you the exe for this Netscape version if you'd like as well... and of course help you at the same time.
 here is the link for the download....  and just PM  me and we can hook up.... ok?,
 John

http://download.cnet.com/Netscape-Communicator-32-bit-Complete-Install/3000-2356_4-10001867.html
#11April 29th, 2009 · 08:47 PM
30 threads / 25 songs
219 posts
United States of America
Hi Denis...... 55 MBs is all they give you?   I would think that the reserve space you must be able to use for your website.  I'd call them and find out more
#12April 29th, 2009 · 09:29 PM
30 threads / 25 songs
219 posts
United States of America
Whoa Kings...... very cool front page for your site, *very nicely  done
#13April 30th, 2009 · 06:49 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Hello John,

Thanks for your time, Yeah, it would be great to chat with you, I've got yahoo messenger my email is denisahmet@yahoo.com I've also got Google talk which is part of gmail, my gmail email is denis.ahmet@gmail.com A lot of ampers are on this, I can send you an invitation, just need your email.

In fact if anyone also wants to join in we can have a bandAMP group chit chat, that'll be fun, we could even have a Jam, although I don't know if you can have a conference call [multi-calls] on the Internet, never tried it

Sunday, Monday or Tuesday coming is going to be good for me, I'm based in the UK, I think you are about 5 or 6 hours ahead of me.  Suggest a time and we can link-up.

Ltrz

Denis

Fiddlah wrote…
Hi Denis,
 as TLS mentioned frontpage is basic..... BUT.. and this is important... #1) many ISP's will give you 2 gigs upto 10 gigs free space which is more then enough   (here's where the "but" comes in) #2)  Many Isp's are not compatible with frontpage as an HTML editor because of the fact it is written with "microsoft" secret source codes embedded into your website, SO when you upload your webpage to your ISP the  source isnt always recognized,, and if it is.. it doesn't  come out the way you see it  when building it. ** Sounds strange , but Frontpage has always had this issue with 90% of ISP's ... This even happens if you just build with frontpage and then use a 3rd party software which would be your "FTP" connection software to upload to your ISP.  This is why I love Netscape "Composer"!  It is actually a part of the old browser "Netscape Communicator 4.79" *It is included with the browser, just an add-on.  I also use  "FlashFXP" as my FTP client when uploading... It is  simple, once you  obtain the ftp address from your ISP  and you enter that as well as your password (which would be the same password  you would use with your ISP for your email) 
 Here is  a link to Netscape Communicator 4.79 download.... it does not mention that it has "Composer" is built in as an add-on,. Composer will be part of this package, I have the exact same setup saved.   Also, Denis, if you download it..... make sure that you do a custom install, because  you are not going to want anything to do with the Communicator (browser) part.... just the "Composer"  * I would be more then happy to walk you though any process of your procedure. I have Skype as well as yahoo messenger,,, I can always send you the exe for this Netscape version if you'd like as well... and of course help you at the same time.
 here is the link for the download....  and just PM  me and we can hook up.... ok?,
 John

http://download.cnet.com/Netscape-Communicator-32-bit-Complete-Install/3000-2356_4-10001867.html
#14April 30th, 2009 · 08:41 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
kings wrote…
Interesting subject......playing audio on a web page.
If you open my home page www.kingsonone.com you should hear a sound.....and it should work for everyone. If you 'view page source' you'll see the code at the top of the page, it's the only javascript on the page.
It finds the users browser, makes x-mplayer2 it's default mimeType and then plays an .M3U file.......this page explains it better ; http://www.scriptwell.net/howtoplaysound.htm
Different browsers , different OSs and different users are a web designers nightmare I suppose.

I found the code on my page at http://sonify.org/tutorials/ but my link to it didn't work this time around, scriptwells code is the same code.
Sonify is a good source of information about playing audio through different types of media; javascript, flash, mobile phones etc

Yet again mp3 flash player is the easiest to install and most people do have flash.

Do let us know how you get on indeed      ;)

Thanks Kings, this is really helpful.
As I'm new to all this, and my brain cells are fewer lol, I'm going to take it slowly, so First off I need to establish what software I will use to create it, Fiddlah has suggested Netscape, I've got frontpage. I would like to be a little creative with it, providing it's within my humble means...I've suggested a group internet chit chat to Fiddlah, hope you will join in, we'll 'av' a laugh, what ever.
#15April 30th, 2009 · 08:56 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TonightsLastSong wrote…

Thanks TLS, yeah, I'm wondering what the alternatives would be to create the site other than front page and Netscape, I would like to be a little creative with it.
Cheers
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 1:20 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.